• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 74th Annual Golden Globes |OT| *laughs at own joke and ruffles Mel Gibson's hair*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
Jimmy Fallon continues to prove he is the most over-rated, untalented, and unfunny "comedian" host type personality of all time.

I wouldn't be mad at all if Manchester by the Sea, Moonlight or La la land win best picture

They are all top 10 for me. This year stands out for the first time in a while where I think multiple films being nominated deserve the win

Rainy

Banned
Jimmy Fallon continues to prove he is the most over-rated, untalented, and unfunny "comedian" host type personality of all time.

I forgot he was there for the latter half of the show. But he always kept reappearing with those cringe-worthy introductions of the presenters.

So, who won the biggest award? I'm on a train so I couldn't watch the show.

Moonlight won for Best Motion Picture Drama.

I wouldn't be mad at all if Manchester by the Sea, Moonlight or La la land win best picture

They are all top 10 for me. This year stands out for the first time in a while where I think multiple films deserve the win

Pretty much.

I would prefer Manchester or Moonlight, but La La Land being the BP winner is deserving.

Icolin

Banned
Regardless on where you stand on the winners, I think we can all agree that the competition this year is tighter than years before; I could make a case for several different movies to win an award, whereas in years past, I think there's really only been a clear cut 2 or 3 films that are worthy of an award.

I mean I could make a case for Arrival, Hacksaw Ridge, Moonlight, Manchester by the Sea, La La Land, Fences or Elle to win Best Picture, etc. Great year for film all around, and next year looks even better (PTA, Malick and Villeneuve bless us)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Dude, you're lying to yourself.

LLL just became frontrunner. It's Hollywood.

La La Land has always been the frontrunner. Winning the Golden Globe makes no real difference there. If you give Hollywood a realistic opportunity to vote for itself, it will do so, and La La Land is all about Hollywood.

Moonlight is probably the only legitimate challenger to it if the allegations around Casey Affleck continue to poison the well against Manchester by the Sea.

Remember, this is a politicized popularity contest, not an objective measure of quality.

Chumley

Banned
I meant getting away with it in terms of award recognition. I'm glad Affleck got sued and disappointed Parker got away with it.

Not only did Birth of a Nation suck, but Parker doubled down on trying to ruin the rep of a girl who committed suicide potentially because of him gang raping her.

You'll never see Parker again and deservedly so. Affleck's problems aren't comparable, full stop.

TheFlow

Banned
la la land winning best picture and or Ali not getting best supporting male actor are the only things that would make salty over the Oscars.

Manchester and Moonlight really are the better films.

chazelle winning best director I would be ok with.

Dominator

I'm holding off on posting my top 10 of the year as I've yet to see Moonlight and Fences. Going to see Fences tomorrow afternoon but Moonlight has been erased from all theaters near me :(

LionPride

Banned
la la land winning best picture and or Ali not getting best supporting male actor are the only things that would make salty over the Oscars.

Manchester and Moonlight really are the better films.

chazelle winning best director I would be ok with.
You know what's gonna win best pic? Manchester or La La Land

Ali ain't winning anything

Imma be upset seeing as I'm watching La La Land, Fences, and Moonlight either this week or next week and know which movie will win more Oscars

Dude, you're lying to yourself.

LLL just became frontrunner. It's Hollywood.

Even so I bet Moonlight will take home best picture, it's a special movie and I think most Academy voters know that, especially in the current political climate.

But La La Land will probably still win a ton of awards, because you know it's getting nominated for Best costumes, art design and cinematography at the Oscars, on top of what it was at the Globe's. It probably doesn't hang in acting categories. But yeah I suspect it will have the most nominations.

Chumley

Banned
Chastain though... whew

Ec67t3ph.jpg

As someone who lives in area where Moonlight didn't play, can someone write me a quick few sentences on what makes it so special? I feel like I missed out.

LionPride

Banned
Chopra, Brie Larson, Chastain, Julia Dreyfus, Negga, and Basset (might be booty bias) stood out for me.

Ruth Negga is great, but gotta give it to the black women I saw throughout the night.

And Chopra

Best Dressed overall? Donald Glover with that Brown Velvet suit

TheFlow

Banned
You know what's gonna win best pic? Manchester or La La Land

Ali ain't winning anything

Imma be upset seeing as I'm watching La La Land, Fences, and Moonlight either this week or next week and know which movie will win more Oscars

Manchester by the Sea 2016
★★★★★
Hands down one of the saddest and most heartbreaking movies I have watched in my life. I knew it was just a movie but that couldn't stop me from tearing up and feeling for the characters. Probably the only movie that can compete with Moonlight for best drama of 2016.

so yea I am totally fine with Manchester winning.

Don't care about the movies awards, only ones I saw this year or plan to see are Deadpool (surprised to see so many noms!) and Zootopia.

Atlanta went in pretty hot, nice to see donglover win and the show. Bit weird that Night Manager won so many, I liked the show but I thought stuff like Westworld or Game of Thrones was better. Its too bad the movies take all the spotlight, I thought the TV shows this year were more accessible and interesting than any of the movies nominated. Stranger Things got robbed and Americans should have been on some lists.

DrBo42

pacing issues. fat that could be trimmed? you better start typing up some examples because that was a well paced movie.

For the most part I agree. My complaints are in the final third.
Mostly the restless nights repeating, the call from Mom after the visit and length of the...Travis? scenes/footage banging you over the head that he turned into Juan. I mean he looks just fuckin' like him. Do we really need to hammer it home over and over? The length and degree of it doesn't make it more sad to me. The moment you see him in the last chapter with the fronts and the car it hits you.

oh hell no

Dude she's borderline fairy godmother.

TheFlow

Banned
As someone who lives in area where Moonlight didn't play, can someone write me a quick few sentences on what makes it so special? I feel like I missed out.

from my review. warning I made this review right after I saw it so there will be some hyperbole but I stand by it.

Moonlight does numerous things that other films wish they could accomplish in the same span. The three acts will remind viewers of the 2014 Boyhood, and it is easy to see why. We are taken through 3 acts that touches upon: poverty, abuse, identity, love, friendship, and so much more. Before I even start on how great the acting is let me applaud the Director. Perfect use of the camera, editing, and great choice of music to deliver on the great dialog. The cast was amazing, but more so on how the young actors were so realistic. It is rare to see such raw and powerful subjects be approached with such a solemn beauty. Each act builds upon the last without faltering delivering one of the greatest movies I have seen. I won't say it is the best film of 2016 but as of 11/28 it is the clear winner.

Brinbe

LOL Moonlight is not really a movie you can just summarize and explain away its best qualities in a few sentences. There's really quite a lot going on. You kinda just need to watch it.

Anung

Un Rama
I thought Gwendoline Christie looked really classy in her dress too. Can't believe I forgot Gillian Anderson, then again she could wear bin bags and look amazing af.

LionPride

Banned
Manchester by the Sea 2016
★★★★★
Hands down one of the saddest and most heartbreaking movies I have watched in my life. I knew it was just a movie but that couldn't stop me from tearing up and feeling for the characters. Probably the only movie that can compete with Moonlight for best drama of 2016.

so yea I am totally fine with Manchester winning.

I mentioned earlier I had less than zero interest in watching it because it just looked like Sad White People: the Movie

Icolin

Banned

Well, if the Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic scores don't convince you that it's worth watching, then I don't know what will. TheFlow's writeup above echoes the same sentiments I have about the film.

TheFlow

Banned
I mentioned earlier I had less than zero interest in watching it because it just looked like Sad White People: the Movie

listen feel me out fam. In the Movie OT I was hands down the biggest doubter of Manchester being worth a damn, but man was I wrong.

think I shed more tears than moonlight. I can't spoil but some scenes will floor you.

you already know I am black as well, so there are some things we will laugh out like how the kids get away with cursing so much in the movie. That being said watch while you can

Brinbe

Dude, no... Manchester by the Sea is a movie anyone can relate to. Especially those dealing with severe grief. Pre-judging it like that isn't right. It's a great film and Casey Affleck (for all his supposed personal issues) is thoroughly excellent in it.

Icolin

Banned
Casey Affleck's performances in The Assassination of Jesse James, Gone Baby Gone, and Manchester by the Sea have all been easily some of the best performances of their respective years. Really underrated actor, IMO.

Good for you. Have no idea why you're so proud repeating this garbage opinion lol

Casey Affleck's performances in The Assassination of Jesse James, Gone Baby Gone, and Manchester by the Sea have all been easily some of the best performances of their respective years. Really underrated actor, IMO.

Yeah he's amazing when given something good. Jesse James man....whew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom