• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 74th Annual Golden Globes |OT| *laughs at own joke and ruffles Mel Gibson's hair*

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just people in denial because it won over their favorite movies (although I agree that something else should've won in the best screenplay category).

There's a lot of things La La Land did right by the screenplay was a by the numbers love story with aspects taken directly from other movies. Absolutely shouldn't have won.

cj_iwakura

so which is it

there is no salt. Rational people think La la land shouldn't have won some awards that it clearly didn't deserve.

and then the La la land defense force came in every time accusing people who have seen all 3 movies of being salty. like what.
Opinions. I think it deserved every award. The writing was great.

I think Hacksaw Ridge should've won something. It's right up there as one of the best war movies ever for me, alongside The Thin Red Line, Saving Private Ryan, Platoon, and Full Metal Jacket. Maybe I sound hyperbolic, but I've seen it three times now and I'm loving it more and more.

Mel Gibson needs about 5 more Hack Ridges before he wins something.

Or maybe just commit a crime and flee the country to avoid being arrested idk. He'll get lots of praise then.

robotrock

Banned
I think Hacksaw Ridge should've won something. It's right up there as one of the best war movies ever for me, alongside The Thin Red Line, Saving Private Ryan, Platoon, and Full Metal Jacket. Maybe I sound hyperbolic, but I've seen it three times now and I'm loving it more and more.

Mel Gibson doesn't need an award imo

SexyFish

Banned
Makes sense Casey Affleck can get away with a lot more shit. Fame, relatives, white assault not being as "scary" as black assault, etc.

Parker did the "more shit" part of that. Harassment isn't the same as rape.

On topic: I hope Moonlight takes the Oscar. That and Manchester by the Sea both deserve it.

_Isaac

What should it have won?

Icolin

Banned
so which is it

there is no salt. Rational people think La la land shouldn't have won some awards that it clearly didn't deserve.

and then the La la land defense force came in every time accusing people who have seen all 3 movies of being salty. like what.

Well, some of the posts in question weren't rational; they were hyperbolic, and kinda bitter.

On another note, I don't know why you're doubting my opinion on Moonlight and Manchester; I've seen them, and I think they're very very solid films.

LionPride

Banned
I just can't watch it, not only because Gibson but dear god that accent Garfield does sounds dreadful. Like worse than Spacey's in HoC.

If the allegations are true on both sides, Parker gang raped someone and Affleck behaved like a total perv fratboy.
Parker also acted like a complete douche throughout the press he was doing for Birth of A Nation including getting snappy with Robin Roberts and not taking help from Oprah. While Affleck decided to approach his dumbassery and sexual harassment with more...tact.

HeelPower

Amy Adams far outclasses Emma Stone's La La Land performance in TWO roles : Nocturnal Animals and Arrival.

Adams will never an Oscar at this point.This was meant to her knock out year :(

Nope. It's playing at cinemas that show indie releases or has larger screen count right now.

Ah that's a shame. Just checked my local theater I like to watch all the Oscar movies at and they're not playing it yet. They do have Lion right now though I want to see that too.

Blader

It's absolutely fucked that Affleck got away with it, considering that Nate Parker didn't.

I wonder what it could be!

well, Affleck didn't get away with it, he was sued and settled with his accusers. Parker DID get away with his crime, as he didn't serve any jail time or any punishment at all.

TheFlow

Banned
Well, some of the posts in question weren't rational; they were hyperbolic, and kinda bitter.

On another note, I don't know why you're doubting my opinion on Moonlight and Manchester; I've seen them, and I think they're very very solid films.

link the post. like I said a couple people made some rash post, but most of the rational people here were accused of being salty, bitter, and outright crazy when they questioned La Lan land for winning or even said they didn't like the movie.

Casey being white with powerful friends undoubtedly helps for sure, but also...

1. As reprehensible as sexual harassment is not, it is not a "similar allegation" to rape.
2. Casey settled with his accusers. Parker harassed his accuser, tried to destroy her reputation, refused to apologize or admit to anything, got off, ruined this girl's life, ultimately pushing her to suicide, so there's no form of justice coming to her or her family ever.
3. Manchester is, by all accounts, the better movie and Casey's is, by all accounts, the better performance.

pretty much

a combination of factors help and Casey isn't answering questions either, so he doesn't get opportunities to stick his foot in his mouth like Parker did.

Not

Banned
Casey being white with powerful friends undoubtedly helps for sure, but also...

1. As reprehensible as sexual harassment is not, it is not a "similar allegation" to rape.
2. Casey settled with his accusers. Parker harassed his accuser, tried to destroy her reputation, refused to apologize or admit to anything, got off, ruined this girl's life, ultimately pushing her to suicide, so there's no form of justice coming to her or her family ever.
3. Manchester is, by all accounts, the better movie and Casey's is, by all accounts, the better performance.

Agree with all three points. I do think it's useful to compare the complexities of both cases to each other in terms of awards recognition.

DrBo42

Another drop in the soon to be overflowing bucket.

That's a pretty shitty call out lol. I "got" the movie it just didn't hit me hard enough to gush over it. It has pacing issues, fat that could be trimmed and Monae was kinda bad/too much of a stereotypical hero character.

I guess no one briefed the Frenchwoman on American Award show cues. I guess on French Award shows they can stay up there as long as they want rambling. Just a different culture
What are you talking about it happens all the time to numerous personalities. Domestic or international. Your time is up, don't stall the show for the rest. There's always someone who pays the bill with a short speech time for all that time those who went over stole.

Sanjuro

Look...

La La Land, Moonlight, Manchester By The Sea are all great films, but they are no Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.

Also, why are we yelling?

TheFlow

Banned
That's a pretty shitty call out lol. I "got" the movie it just didn't hit me hard enough to gush over it. It has pacing issues, fat that could be trimmed and Monae was kinda bad/too much of a stereotypical hero character.

pacing issues. fat that could be trimmed? you better start typing up some examples because that was a well paced movie.

robotrock

Banned
well, Affleck didn't get away with it, he was sued and settled with his accusers. Parker DID get away with his crime, as he didn't serve any jail time or any punishment at all.

I meant getting away with it in terms of award recognition. I'm glad Affleck got sued and disappointed Parker got away with it.

Not

Banned

You're probably right that I was needlessly oversimplifying just then. That's some genuine salt from me. I apologize.

LionPride

Banned
I meant getting away with it in terms of award recognition. I'm glad Affleck got sued and disappointed Parker got away with it.

By all accounts one movie is better than the other

I personally didn't see either because Manchester by The Sea just seemed like Sad White People movie #555 with supposedly good preformances and I was not going to give my money to Birth of A Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom