• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 87th Academy Awards |OT| The One That Matters

Status
Not open for further replies.
oscars-nominations-2015-thatgrapejuice.jpg

When: February 22. 8 PM EST/5 PM PT

Host: Neil Patrick Harris

Nominees
Best Picture
American Sniper - Clint Eastwood, Robert Lorenz, Andrew Lazar, Bradley Cooper and Peter Morgan, Producers
Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) - Alejandro G. Iñárritu, John Lesher and James W. Skotchdopole, Producers
Boyhood - Richard Linklater and Cathleen Sutherland, Producers
The Grand Budapest Hotel - Wes Anderson, Scott Rudin, Steven Rales and Jeremy Dawson, Producers
The Imitation Game - Nora Grossman, Ido Ostrowsky and Teddy Schwarzman, Producers
Selma - Christian Colson, Oprah Winfrey, Dede Gardner and Jeremy Kleiner, Producers
The Theory of Everything -Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner, Lisa Bruce and Anthony McCarten, Producers
Whiplash - Jason Blum, Helen Estabrook and David Lancaster, Producers

Best Director
Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) - Alejandro G. Iñárritu
Boyhood - Richard Linklater
Foxcatcher - Bennett Miller
The Grand Budapest Hotel - Wes Anderson
The Imitation Game - Morten Tyldum

Best Actor
Michael Keaton - Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Eddie Redmayne - The Theory of Everything
Steve Carell - Foxcatcher
Bradley Cooper - American Sniper
Benedict Cumberbatch -The Imitation Game

Best Supporting Actor
Robert Duvall - The Judge
Ethan Hawke - Boyhood
Edward Norton - Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Mark Ruffalo - Foxcatcher
J.K. Simmons - Whiplash

Best Actress
Marion Cotillard - Two Days, One Night
Felicity Jones - The Theory of Everything
Julianne Moore - Still Alice
Rosamund Pike - Gone Girl
Reese Witherspoon - Wild

Best Supporting Actress
Meryl Streep - Into the Woods
Patricia Arquette - Boyhood
Laura Dern - Wild
Keira Knightley - The Imitation Game
Emma Stone - Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)

Best Animated Film
Big Hero 6
The Boxtrolls
How to Train Your Dragon 2
Song of the Sea
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya

Best Cinematography
Ida - Łukasz Żal and Ryszard Lenczewski
Mr. Turner - Dick Pope
Unbroken - Roger Deakins
Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) - Emmanuel Lubezki
The Grand Budapest Hotel - Robert Yeoman

Best Costume Design
The Grand Budapest Hotel - Milena Canonero
Inherent Vice - Mark Bridges
Into the Woods - Colleen Atwood
Maleficent - Anna B. Sheppard
Mr. Turner - Jacqueline Durran

Best Film Editing
The Imitation Game - William Goldenberg
Whiplash - Tom Cross
American Sniper - Joel Cox and Gary D. Roach
Boyhood - Sandra Adair
The Grand Budapest Hotel - Barney Pilling

Best Foreign Language Film
Ida - Poland
Leviathan - Russia
Tangerines - Estonia
Timbuktu - Mauritania
Wild Tales - Argentina

Best Makeup & Hairstyling
Foxcatcher - Bill Corso and Dennis Liddiard
The Grand Budapest Hotel - Frances Hannon and Mark Coulier
Guardians of the Galaxy - Elizabeth Yianni-Georgiou and David White

Best Production Design
The Grand Budapest Hotel - Production Design: Adam Stockhausen; Set Decoration: Anna Pinnock
The Imitation Game - Production Design: Maria Djurkovic; Set Decoration: Tatiana Macdonald
Interstellar - Production Design: Nathan Crowley; Set Decoration: Gary Fettis
Into the Woods - Production Design: Dennis Gassner; Set Decoration: Anna Pinnock
Mr. Turner - Production Design: Suzie Davies; Set Decoration: Charlotte Watts

Best Sound Editing
Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) - Martín Hernández and Aaron Glascock
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - Brent Burge and Jason Canovas
Interstellar - Richard King
Unbroken - Becky Sullivan and Andrew DeCristofaro
American Sniper - Alan Robert Murray and Bub Asman

Best Sound Mixing
American Sniper - John Reitz, Gregg Rudloff and Walt Martin
Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) - Jon Taylor, Frank A. Montaño and Thomas Varga
Interstellar - Gary A. Rizzo, Gregg Landaker and Mark Weingarten
Unbroken - Jon Taylor, Frank A. Montaño and David Lee
Whiplash - Craig Mann, Ben Wilkins and Thomas Curley

Best Visual Effects
Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Dan DeLeeuw, Russell Earl, Bryan Grill and Dan Sudick
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - Joe Letteri, Dan Lemmon, Daniel Barrett and Erik Winquist
Guardians of the Galaxy - Stephane Ceretti, Nicolas Aithadi, Jonathan Fawkner and Paul Corbould
Interstellar - Paul Franklin, Andrew Lockley, Ian Hunter and Scott Fisher
X-Men: Days of Future Past - Richard Stammers, Lou Pecora, Tim Crosbie and Cameron Waldbauer

Best Original Score
Interstellar - Hans Zimmer
Mr. Turner - Gary Yershon
The Theory of Everything - Jóhann Jóhannsson
The Grand Budapest Hotel - Alexandre Desplat
The Imitation Game - Alexandre Desplat

Best Original Screenplay
Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) - Written by Alejandro G. Iñárritu, Nicolás Giacobone, Alexander Dinelaris, Jr. & Armando Bo
Boyhood - Written by Richard Linklater
Foxcatcher - Written by E. Max Frye and Dan Futterman
The Grand Budapest Hotel - Screenplay by Wes Anderson; Story by Wes Anderson & Hugo Guinness
Nightcrawler - Written by Dan Gilroy

Best Adapted Screenplay
American Sniper - Jason Hall
The Imitation Game - Graham Moore
Inherent Vice - Paul Thomas Anderson
The Theory of Everything - Anthony McCarten
Whiplash - Damien Chazelle

Best Documentary - Short Subject
Crisis Hotline: Veterans Press 1
Joanna
Our Curse
The Reaper (La Parka)
White Earth

Best Documentary - Feature
The Salt of the Earth
Virunga
CitizenFour
Finding Vivian Maier
Last Days in Vietnam

Best Animated Short Film
The Bigger Picture
The Dam Keeper
Feast
Me and My Moulton
A Single Life

Best Live-Action Short Film
Aya
Boogaloo and Graham
Butter Lamp (La Lampe Au Beurre De Yak)
Parvaneh
The Phone Call

Best Original Song
“Lost Stars” from Begin Again; Music and Lyric by Gregg Alexander and Danielle Brisebois
“Everything Is Awesome” from The Lego Movie; Music and Lyric by Shawn Patterson
“Glory” from Selma; Music and Lyric by John Stephens and Lonnie Lynn
“Grateful” from Beyond the Lights; Music and Lyric by Diane Warren
“I’m Not Gonna Miss You” from Glen Campbell…I’ll Be Me; Music and Lyric by Glen Campbell and Julian Raymond

rakhir

Fingers crossed for the documentary Our Curse. I know the family that made it, the director is a brother of my childhood friend.
It is really surprising and awesome that they made so far with their documentary, i never would have guessed that would be the case years ago when i found out about their child disease.

Dabanton

Finally Saw Selma yesterday and with that all the best picture noms. And how David Oyelowo didn't get a best actor nom is hilarious even by Oscar standards.

I personally would have removed Cumberbatch who is the weakest of the best actor noms.

Jb

I'd really, really love to see Wes Anderson walk home with the best director statue.
Probably not gonna happen though :(

Alpende

Hoping that Whiplash, Simmons, Keaton, Anderson / Grand Budapest, Birdman / Inarritu win some. I really hope Whiplash grabs best picture. Rosamund Pike should win for best supporting, she was great.

obin_gam

My votes. (Though not what I think the Academy will vote)
Best Picture Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) - Alejandro G. Iñárritu, John Lesher and James W. Skotchdopole, Producers
Best Director Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) - Alejandro G. Iñárritu
Best Actor Steve Carell - Foxcatcher
Best Supporting Actor J.K. Simmons - Whiplash
Best Animated Film Big Hero 6
Best Cinematography Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) - Emmanuel Lubezki
Best Costume Design The Grand Budapest Hotel - Milena Canonero
Best Makeup & Hairstyling Foxcatcher - Bill Corso and Dennis Liddiard
Best Production Design The Grand Budapest Hotel - Production Design: Adam Stockhausen; Set Decoration: Anna Pinnock
Best Sound Editing Interstellar - Richard King
Best Sound Mixing Interstellar - Gary A. Rizzo, Gregg Landaker and Mark Weingarten
Best Visual Effects Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - Joe Letteri, Dan Lemmon, Daniel Barrett and Erik Winquist
Best Original Score Interstellar - Hans Zimmer
Best Original Screenplay Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) - Written by Alejandro G. Iñárritu, Nicolás Giacobone, Alexander Dinelaris, Jr. & Armando Bo
Best Adapted Screenplay Whiplash - Damien Chazelle
Best Original Song “Everything Is Awesome” from The Lego Movie; Music and Lyric by Shawn Patterson

I just need Kaguya to win best animated film of the year. It is so far ahead from the competition and probably the last chance for the genius that is Takahata to be recognized.

Other than that it is a pretty indiferrent year, though it will be nice seeing Simmons or Keaton on stage - both seem like very cool people and their acting in their respective movies was impeccable.

CassSept

As long as American Sniper doesn't win any major award I'm ok with it.

Is anyone setting up an Oscar pool this year?

Finally Saw Selma yesterday and with that all the best picture noms. And how David Oyelowo didn't get a best actor nom is hilarious even by Oscar standards.

I personally would have removed Cumberbatch who is the weakest of the best actor noms.

It was a really, really competitive category this year, a lot of great performances that deserved to be nominated, Oyelowo wasn't the only one that got cut, Gyllenhaal was even better and he isn't there too.

Mr. RHC

Even though I'm not the biggest fan of biopics, there's been some quite interesting picks this years.
Ultimately I can't say which one should or could win Best Picture.
Boyhood was not so bad, Budapest Hotel great, Whiplash and Birdman fun. I'm fine should one of these movies win.

Edward Norton or Simmons for Supporting Actor. Patricca Arquette maybe for Supporting Actress. Hans Zimmer for Best Soundtrack! <3

Visual Effects to Guardians Of The Galaxy.

Zutroy

Here's what I would pick (seen most of the films but not all so that's why some may be getting my snub):
Best Picture The Grand Budapest Hotel - Wes Anderson, Scott Rudin, Steven Rales and Jeremy Dawson, Producers
Best Director Boyhood - Richard Linklater
Best Actor Eddie Redmayne - The Theory of Everything
Best Supporting Actor J.K. Simmons - Whiplash
Best Actress Rosamund Pike - Gone Girl
Best Supporting Actress Patricia Arquette - Boyhood
Best Animated Film Big Hero 6
Best Cinematography The Grand Budapest Hotel - Robert Yeoman
Best Costume Design The Grand Budapest Hotel - Milena Canonero
Best Film Editing Whiplash - Tom Cross
Best Makeup & Hairstyling Foxcatcher - Bill Corso and Dennis Liddiard
Best Production Design The Grand Budapest Hotel - Production Design: Adam Stockhausen; Set Decoration: Anna Pinnock
Best Sound Editing Interstellar - Richard King
Best Sound Mixing Interstellar - Gary A. Rizzo, Gregg Landaker and Mark Weingarten
Best Visual Effects Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - Joe Letteri, Dan Lemmon, Daniel Barrett and Erik Winquist
Best Original Score Interstellar - Hans Zimmer
Best Original Screenplay Nightcrawler - Written by Dan Gilroy
Best Adapted Screenplay Whiplash - Damien Chazelle

Cheebo

Banned
Birdman is going to win. It's been sweeping all the guild awards. In a lot of ways it's Hollywoods way of saying fuck you to the endless super hero movies.

Nothus

I still can't believe Gyllenhaal didn't get a nod for best actor, Nightcrawler is probably my favourite film of the Oscar bunch.
Hoping Inherent Vice gets the win as well, love that film.

Laieon

Ode to My Father (&#44397;&#51228;&#49884;&#51109;) should have been nominated for best foreign language film.

Jarnet87

Boyhood, it took 12 years to make.

Go watch Half in the Bags Oscar predictions. Expecting Boyhood to take everything, just hoping Simmons gets his deserved Oscar.

This is the first time that I dont give a fuck in the animation category. Fuck that shit leaving out the lego movie.
Song of the sea or Kaguya need to win just to fuck with Disney and Dreamworks.

Also JK Simmons for whiplash needs to win supporting actor.

Oersted

The Oscar winner for best picture Sunday night probably won't be the movie that the majority of voters put atop their ballots.

That's because the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences uses a preferential voting system, one adopted six years ago when it expanded the best picture category from five movies to as many as 10. The system aims to ensure that the film with the broadest support wins — which isn't necessarily the film that gets the most first-place votes.

Indeed, interviews with academy members suggest that many don't understand the finer points of the system. That lack of understanding could mean the difference between front-runners "Birdman" or "Boyhood" winning the academy's biggest prize. In a close race like this — or, say, last year's contest between "12 Years a Slave" and "Gravity" — the ways in which voters engage or ignore the nuances of the system matter deeply.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...car-voting-column-20150218-column.html#page=1

Road

latimes said:
Only Cullinan and Ruiz know the results until the moment each envelope is opened on Oscar night.

"That's not a hard secret to keep because it's only for a few days," Cullinan says. "You want to know the hard secret? Who came in second. That's what everyone wants to know. And that's the secret we have to keep forever."

Indeed.

Is there a GAF guessing game for this year: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=776312&highlight=oscar

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I've got money on Budapest winning best pic, Cooper winning best actor and Pike best actress, although theyre all quite unlikely

Won't be watching live which is a shame, a 1:30am start that wont finish till five after going out last nigh is a bit too much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom