• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 87th Academy Awards |OT| The One That Matters

Status
Not open for further replies.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
If they had just recast new actors in Boyhood and told the same story, nobody would be talking about it other than to say it was too long and lacked conflict.

Blader

I'm pulling for Boyhood and think it still has a solid shot at Best Picture, but Birdman's guild award hat trick and very actor-y subject material make it the likely winner.

If they had just recast new actors in Boyhood and told the same story, nobody would be talking about it other than to say it was too long and lacked conflict.

yes, had they changed a very fundamental part of the film, it would've probably been different, good call.

I'm normally not one for the Oscars, but I do planning on watching this year. After seeing The Theory of Everything, I do hope Eddie Redmayne gets Best Actor.

Ridley327

I'm pulling for Boyhood and think it still has a solid shot at Best Picture, but Birdman's guild award hat trick and very actor-y subject material make it the likely winner.

I'm figuring that they'll give Linklater directing, since he's been the favorite for a while and the Academy seems to like spreading the wealth around more these days. With Redmayne's SAG win, I wonder if this will be a year where all the majors went to different films.

Aurongel

Birdman is my personal fave and I think the subject matter lends itself well to BP but Budapest Hotel winning would be a fucking hilarious twist.

Just as long as Sniper and Theory of Everything get jack shit.

Akahige

I won't bother watching 4 hours of Hollywood giving handjobs to each other but I'll predict Boyhood for Best Picture and Birdman for Best Director.

Vyroxis

Banned
If American Sniper wins any of the 'big' awards like Best Picture or Best Director, I am going to be pissed.

I hope it wins best picture, just so I can revel in the tears of the haters. Such a great movie. Edit: Eastwood wasn't nominated, my bad.

As for Lego Movie, I never got all the love for it. It was a great movie, right up until the twist hit. That completely ruined it for me.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Only The Imitation Game is worthy of Best Picture winner. But this is Oscar we are talking about, always disappointing for me.

My picks

Best Picture
Whiplash - Jason Blum, Helen Estabrook and David Lancaster, Producers

Best Director
Boyhood - Richard Linklater

Best Actor
Eddie Redmayne - The Theory of Everything

Best Supporting Actor
J.K. Simmons - Whiplash

Best Actress
Julianne Moore - Still Alice

Best Supporting Actress
Patricia Arquette - Boyhood

Best Animated Film
Big Hero 6

Best Cinematography
Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) - Emmanuel Lubezki

Best Costume Design
Into the Woods - Colleen Atwood

Best Film Editing
Whiplash - Tom Cross

Best Makeup & Hairstyling
The Grand Budapest Hotel - Frances Hannon and Mark Coulier

Best Production Design
Into the Woods - Production Design: Dennis Gassner; Set Decoration: Anna Pinnock

Best Sound Editing
Interstellar - Richard King

Best Sound Mixing
American Sniper - John Reitz, Gregg Rudloff and Walt Martin

Best Visual Effects
Interstellar - Paul Franklin, Andrew Lockley, Ian Hunter and Scott Fisher

Best Original Score
The Grand Budapest Hotel - Alexandre Desplat

Best Original Screenplay
Boyhood - Written by Richard Linklater

Best Adapted Screenplay
The Theory of Everything - Anthony McCarten

Ithil

Indeed, had the film been different, it would be a different film.

Stirring insight.

My predictions:
Best Picture: Birdman (Should win: Whiplash)
Best Director: Inarritu
Best Actor: Redmayne (Should win: Keaton)
Best Actress: Julianne Moore (Should win: Rosamund Pike)
Best Supporting Actor: J.K. Simmons
Supporting Actress: Patricia Arquette
Adapted Screenplay: Whiplash
Original Screenplay: Grand Budapest (Should win: Nightcrawler)
Score: Theory of Everything (Should win: Interstellar)
Visual Effects: Planet of the Apes
Animated Film: How to Train Your Dragon 2
Sound Editing: American Sniper
Sound Mixing: Birdman (Should win: Whiplash)
Production Design: Grand Budapest
Cinematography: Birdman
Makeup: Grand Budapest
Costume Design: Grand Budapest (Should win: Inherent Vice)
Editing: Boyhood (Should win: Whiplash)

mreddie

If I wanted to watch a gathering of people with scripted outcomes, underserved winners, inane announcing and boring musical number filler...I'll watch the Daytona 500 thank you very much.

Ridley327

Oddly enough, the only thing I'm really looking forward to with the awards is if Interstellar wins one or even both of the sound categories. The internet will be mighty fun in that event.

CassSept

With Redmayne's SAG win, I wonder if this will be a year where all the majors went to different films.

Huh that's true, it's possible all major awards are spread out evenly. Pic for Birdman, Director for Boyhood, Actor for Theory of Everything, Actress for Still Alice, Original Screenplay for Grand Budapest Hotel... Adapted Screenplay can go several ways, apart from Inherent Vice all are possible, as long as it doesn't go to American Sniper.

Oddly enough, the only thing I'm really looking forward to with the awards is if Interstellar wins one or even both of the sound categories. The internet will be mighty fun in that event.

Eh, Sound Editing ok, if it wins Sound Mixing though...

E:
I'm hoping Intersteller wins every award it's nominated in.

It's nominated in 5 categories, it has absolutely no chance in hell to get one for Production Design, no chance at Original Score and is one of the major contenders for VFX so there's that. I think Sniper can nab two sound awards though and these one I'd be more or less ok with.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I'm hoping Intersteller wins every award it's nominated in.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
My picks

Best Picture
Boyhood - Richard Linklater and Cathleen Sutherland, Producers

Best Director

Best Actor
Michael Keaton - Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)

Best Supporting Actor
J.K. Simmons - Whiplash

Best Actress

Best Supporting Actress

Best Animated Film
How to Train Your Dragon 2

Best Cinematography

Best Costume Design
The Grand Budapest Hotel - Milena Canonero

Best Film Editing
Whiplash - Tom Cross

Best Foreign Language Film
Ida - Poland

Guardians of the Galaxy - Elizabeth Yianni-Georgiou and David White

Best Production Design
The Grand Budapest Hotel - Production Design: Adam Stockhausen; Set Decoration: Anna Pinnock

Best Sound Editing
Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) - Martín Hernández and Aaron Glascock

Best Sound Mixing
Whiplash - Craig Mann, Ben Wilkins and Thomas Curley

Best Visual Effects
Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Dan DeLeeuw, Russell Earl, Bryan Grill and Dan Sudick

Best Original Score

Best Original Screenplay
Nightcrawler - Written by Dan Gilroy

Best Adapted Screenplay
Whiplash - Damien Chazelle

Best Animated Short Film
Feast

Best Original Song
“Everything Is Awesome” from The Lego Movie; Music and Lyric by Shawn Patterson

Blader

I'm figuring that they'll give Linklater directing, since he's been the favorite for a while and the Academy seems to like spreading the wealth around more these days. With Redmayne's SAG win, I wonder if this will be a year where all the majors went to different films.

I actually thought Redmayne's performance was more impressive than Keaton's, but part of me would rather see Keaton win just because he's less likely to be back in this pool, whereas Redmayne will probably have more nominated roles in his future.

Thinking about it, the match-up kinda reminds me of Penn and Rourke in 2008.

Spinluck

I don't think Birdman is the best film there, but it will most definitely win.

A theater by me is still showing Whiplash. I'm gonna give it a watch before the show tonight.

Spinluck

My picks

Best Picture
Boyhood - Richard Linklater and Cathleen Sutherland, Producers

Best Director

Best Actor
Michael Keaton - Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)

Best Supporting Actor
J.K. Simmons - Whiplash

Best Actress

Best Supporting Actress

Best Animated Film
How to Train Your Dragon 2

Best Cinematography

Best Costume Design
The Grand Budapest Hotel - Milena Canonero

Best Film Editing
Whiplash - Tom Cross

Best Foreign Language Film
Ida - Poland

Guardians of the Galaxy - Elizabeth Yianni-Georgiou and David White

Best Production Design
The Grand Budapest Hotel - Production Design: Adam Stockhausen; Set Decoration: Anna Pinnock

Best Sound Editing
Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) - Martín Hernández and Aaron Glascock

Best Sound Mixing
Whiplash - Craig Mann, Ben Wilkins and Thomas Curley

Best Visual Effects
Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Dan DeLeeuw, Russell Earl, Bryan Grill and Dan Sudick

Best Original Score

Best Original Screenplay
Nightcrawler - Written by Dan Gilroy

Best Adapted Screenplay
Whiplash - Damien Chazelle

Best Animated Short Film
Feast

Best Original Song
“Everything Is Awesome” from The Lego Movie; Music and Lyric by Shawn Patterson

I can see Boyhood winning too.

Either that or Birdman.

A_Gorilla

Banned
I hope it wins best picture, just so I can revel in the tears of the haters. Such a great movie.

image.php

host is gonna be so boring. i wish somebody with bite like chris rock hosted again.

nph is like male ellen degeneres and she was shit last year

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Indeed, had the film been different, it would be a different film.

Stirring insight.

What i was going for is that the story is weak and lacks conflict and the film is coasting to praise based on its gimmick. I and many others hope better overall films win for this reason.

Spinluck

I don't think American Sniper will win anything.

It's outclassed in everything it's nominated for.

But you know, you never know...

Meowster

Interstellar's score should be winning without question but it is likely that The Overrated Game or The Theory of Everything is going to snatch. A crime tbqh.

Trokil

Banned
If sniper wins nothing I'll be even happier.

I have the suspicion that this year will be the big suck up to the real American audience

I hope for CitizenFour for example, but I fear it will be the big all white all American Oscars this year.

A_Gorilla

Banned
I have the suspicion that this year will be the big suck up to the real American audience

I hope for CitizenFour for example, but I fear it will be the big all white all American Oscars this year.

I just remembered that the vast majority of Oscar members are over 60 and white...

Christ, Sniper is gonna win isn't it?

Salsa

sorry if its been asked but is there a livefeed? dont wanna watch on tv with real time spanish translating

Cheebo

Banned
lol at the idea American Sniper winning anything significant. The academy is not going to vote for a conservative/republican propaganda movie.

We getting in on predictions?

Okay, let's do it! Hollywood Reporter Oscar Voter Superpowers ACTIVATE! Now I can correctly choose which movie will win awards for artistic merit without having actually seen all the movies I will be rewarding!

BEST PICTURE: Birdman ("A movie about making movies that feels SERIOUS. We can't resist")
BEST DIRECTOR: Richard Linklater - Boyhood (Insert stupid RLM 12 years meme here)
BEST ACTOR: Michael Keaton - Birdman (He's due)
BEST ACTRESS: Julianne Moore - Still Alice (She's Julianne Moore)
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: JK Simmons - Whiplash (The lockiest lock of the entire night)
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Patricia Arquette - Boyhood (If the movie is at all engaging, it's because of her & Hawke)
BEST ANIMATED FILM: Big Hero 6 (Boxtrolls is too ugly, Kaguya is too "weird.")
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY: Emmanuel Lubezki - Birdman ("It was all one shot!")
BEST COSTUME DESIGN: Anna B. Shepard - Maleficent ("Those HORNS!")
BEST DOCUMENTARY: Citizenfour ("I think this is important, right? The other one's about the lady who took pictures. This one, I guess")
BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT: The Reaper ("Sounds serious. Can't resist")
BEST EDITING: Sandra Adair - Boyhood (Repeat stupid RLM 12 years meme here)
BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM: Ida ("Nuns that smoke are smoking hot.")
BEST MAKEUP & HAIRSTYLING: Guardians of the Galaxy ("They made Vin Diesel look like a Tree!")
BEST SCORE: Alexander Desplat - The Grand Budapest Hotel ("Interstellar was just, like, a guy sitting on an organ.")
BEST SONG: Everything is Awesome - The Lego Movie ("I don't even like this song")
BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN: The Grand Budapest Hotel ("I want a Mendl's box")
BEST ANIMATED SHORT: Feast ("It's title is a verb. Makes it sound serious.")
BEST LIVE ACTION SHORT: The Phone Call ("Butter Lamp sounded kinda awesome, but a Phone Call - that could be serious.")
BEST SOUND EDITING: American Sniper ("There's gunshots in there.")
BEST SOUND MIXING: Whiplash ("I guess he wasn't even really drumming!")
BEST VISUAL EFFECTS: Interstellar ("I mean, they made Vin Diesel look like a tree, but Interstellar was in outer space, like, the whole time")
BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: Jason Hall - American Sniper ("It was based on a true story! I guess so were some of the others, but they were boring and British.")
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: Wes Anderson, Hugo Guinness - Grand Budapest Hotel ("I liked it more than any of the other movies, but it's not serious. So it gets this")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom