• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 87th Academy Awards |OT| The One That Matters

Status
Not open for further replies.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Regardless of what is said about Boyhood and its quality as a film versus a "gimmick," I think it should absolutely win Best Directing. Birdman will probably win Best Picture, which I am okay with, making it one of the weirder choices to win in a while. It would be so awesome if GBH could win it, though. My favorite movie of last year was actually Whiplash, but I don't think it has a shot and I don't necessarily feel like it should, anyway.

I wish this would be over already. Hollywood and Highland subway station is closed and there is always a chopper hovering around the area. It's so annoying.

You sure about that? Boogaloo and Graham is getting the most action in Vegas with bookmakers saying The Phone Call is the frontrunner.

I'm absolutely not sure about that at all (check my predictions, heh :) I'm just going based on titles, which I'm figuring most Oscar Voters are also doing.

Better not tune in then, because there is no category that is more locked in than Best Actress for Julianne Moore.

I think Simmons for Whiplash is more locked, though.

I still can't believe Gone Girl's sole nomination is for Best Actress, which it will sadly obviously lose. Not even best soundtrack??

And I'll will scream if Big Biblio 6 wins Best Animated Feature. Eeeasily their worst movie in their current ~Revival Era~ imo. I would have given it to Lego Movie.

I'm all in for Boyhood for Best Picture. I liked Birdman, but i didn't feel like it was anything special. Boyhood on the other hand captured the process of growing up perfectly. Although you can say that Birdman resonated with the academy the same way Boyhood resonated with me.
Interstellar should win the Best Score. It's amazing.
I guess there is no chance of Inherent Vice winning Best Adapted Screenplay?

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Dénouement;153177443 said:
And I'll will scream if Big Biblio 6 wins Best Animated Feature. Eeeasily their worst movie in their current ~Revival Era~ imo. I would have given it to Lego Movie.
I think most people would have given it to Lego Movie. Big Hero 6 is a cookie cutter child friendly super hero movie.

Ridley327

We getting in on predictions?

Okay, let's do it! Hollywood Reporter Oscar Voter Superpowers ACTIVATE! Now I can correctly choose which movie will win awards for artistic merit without having actually seen all the movies I will be rewarding!

BEST PICTURE: Birdman ("A movie about making movies that feels SERIOUS. We can't resist")
BEST DIRECTOR: Richard Linklater - Boyhood (Insert stupid RLM 12 years meme here)
BEST ACTOR: Michael Keaton - Birdman (He's due)
BEST ACTRESS: Julianne Moore - Still Alice (She's Julianne Moore)
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: JK Simmons - Whiplash (The lockiest lock of the entire night)
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Patricia Arquette - Boyhood (If the movie is at all engaging, it's because of her & Hawke)
BEST ANIMATED FILM: Big Hero 6 (Boxtrolls is too ugly, Kaguya is too "weird.")
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY: Emmanuel Lubezki - Birdman ("It was all one shot!")
BEST COSTUME DESIGN: Anna B. Shepard - Maleficent ("Those HORNS!")
BEST DOCUMENTARY: Citizenfour ("I think this is important, right? The other one's about the lady who took pictures. This one, I guess")
BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT: The Reaper ("Sounds serious. Can't resist")
BEST EDITING: Sandra Adair - Boyhood (Repeat stupid RLM 12 years meme here)
BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM: Ida ("Nuns that smoke are smoking hot.")
BEST MAKEUP & HAIRSTYLING: Guardians of the Galaxy ("They made Vin Diesel look like a Tree!")
BEST SCORE: Alexander Desplat - The Grand Budapest Hotel ("Interstellar was just, like, a guy sitting on an organ.")
BEST SONG: Everything is Awesome - The Lego Movie ("I don't even like this song")
BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN: The Grand Budapest Hotel ("I want a Mendl's box")
BEST ANIMATED SHORT: Feast ("It's title is a verb. Makes it sound serious.")
BEST LIVE ACTION SHORT: The Phone Call ("Butter Lamp sounded kinda awesome, but a Phone Call - that could be serious.")
BEST SOUND EDITING: American Sniper ("There's gunshots in there.")
BEST SOUND MIXING: Whiplash ("I guess he wasn't even really drumming!")
BEST VISUAL EFFECTS: Interstellar ("I mean, they made Vin Diesel look like a tree, but Interstellar was in outer space, like, the whole time")
BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: Jason Hall - American Sniper ("It was based on a true story! I guess so were some of the others, but they were boring and British.")
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: Wes Anderson, Hugo Guinness - Grand Budapest Hotel ("I liked it more than any of the other movies, but it's not serious. So it gets this")
Was there another Hollywood Reporter article I missed? Those comments are bang-on.

Draconian

Dénouement;153177443 said:
I still can't believe Gone Girl's sole nomination is for Best Actress, which it will sadly obviously lose. Not even best soundtrack??

Yeah, the Academy has been clueless on these two categories for a while now. Gone Girl's soundtrack is incredible. I've been listening to it in the car for about a month straight now.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Regardless of what is said about Boyhood and its quality as a film versus a "gimmick," I think it should absolutely win Best Directing.

I agree 100%, despite disliking the film. It's ambition should be rewarded, few other directors would be able to pull that off.

Ooh, let's see.

Best Picture
Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Best Director
Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) - Alejandro G. Iñárritu
Best Actor
Michael Keaton - Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Best Supporting Actor
J.K. Simmons - Whiplash
Best Actress
Julianne Moore - Still Alice
Best Supporting Actress
Patricia Arquette - Boyhood
Best Animated Film
How to Train Your Dragon 2
Best Cinematography
Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) - Emmanuel Lubezki
Best Costume Design
The Grand Budapest Hotel - Milena Canonero
Best Film Editing
Boyhood - Sandra Adair
Best Foreign Language Film
Ida - Poland
Best Makeup & Hairstyling
The Grand Budapest Hotel - Frances Hannon and Mark Coulier
Best Production Design
The Grand Budapest Hotel - Production Design: Adam Stockhausen; Set Decoration: Anna Pinnock
Best Sound Editing
American Sniper - Alan Robert Murray and Bub Asman
Best Sound Mixing
American Sniper - John Reitz, Gregg Rudloff and Walt Martin
Best Visual Effects
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - Joe Letteri, Dan Lemmon, Daniel Barrett and Erik Winquist
Best Original Score
The Imitation Game - Alexandre Desplat
Best Original Screenplay
Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) - Written by Alejandro G. Iñárritu, Nicolás Giacobone, Alexander Dinelaris, Jr. & Armando Bo
Best Adapted Screenplay
The Imitation Game - Graham Moore
Best Documentary - Short Subject
Crisis Hotline: Veterans Press 1
Best Documentary - Feature
CitizenFour
Best Animated Short Film
Feast
Best Live-Action Short Film
The Phone Call
Best Original Song
“Glory” from Selma; Music and Lyric by John Stephens and Lonnie Lynn

Frog-fu

Banned
Boyhood or Birdman for Best Picture
Richard Linklater or Alejandro G. Iñárritu for Best Director
Michael Keaton for Best Actor
JK Simmons for Best Support Actor
Rosamund Pike for Best Actress
Emma Stone for Best Supporting Actress
Birdman for Best Cinematography

Will post the rest of my picks later.

number11

Would love to see Birdman / Whiplash win. If any of these two win, this will be the first time in years that I'd agree best picture winner.

SaintR

Hosting an Oscar party today. Anybody know of an app or google spreadsheet I can have the guests fill out Oscar ballots that can give me the nights overall winner?

Would love it if I could weigh the harder categories for more points but that's probably asking too much.

Worse case scenario I'll just print out a bunch of ballots and have them full that out

BulletTheory

Neo Member
Christ Streep better not win that supporting actress award. Her performance in into the woods is woeful.

zfMKA6p.jpg

Nafai1123

Banned
I know it's not going to happen, but I would love to see Whiplash win best picture. It's by far the best film I saw from last year.

Gigglepoo

I wish the Academy would release the results of the voting afterward. The only downside would be if one (or more) entry didn't get any support. Just imagine how Bruce Dern would have felt last year with three votes...

OK guys, the hardest call of all: Live Action Short. The Phone Call or Boogaloo and Graham?

Aya. Definitely Aya.

And Feast for Best Animated Short.

Ridley327

It's really ridiculous that Hollywood still refuses to embrace streaming for these awards shows.

You would think their collective efforts would figure out the licensing crap for streaming rights, but what do we know. We're watching this even if there's a near-certainty to us hating it!

jett

D-Member
This seems like a fairly obvious one, Birdman is the one to lose. I hope there are some upsets just for funsies.

Akira

The Academy can't award former rom-com actors the Best Actor awards two years in a row, right? Oh god.

I see Meryl Streep, did Cate Blanchett have any worthy films?

The Grand Budapest Hotel was definitely my favorite movie of last year although I haven't seen The Imitation Game. Boyhood was interesting to watch that I really enjoyed, but I don't think I will watch it again. I actually though Gone Girl was better and am sad it got barely any nominations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom