• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 87th Academy Awards |OT| The One That Matters

Status
Not open for further replies.

hydruxo

2015-02-2306_08_45-cl0vua9.png

Michael-Scott-Closes-The-Door-Awkwardly-On-The-Office.gif

Red Letter Media told them not to like it

I have every intention of seeing it, I don't hate it, just loved that Mike and Jay were really miffed as to how it was heralded as this great masterpiece. Their running in-jokes about it are hilarious.

The way they reviewed it though, if they were being honest about how the film plays out...it sounds like utter meandering tripe to me. I'll have to see for myself though.

royalan

What a boring show this year...

NPH goes down as the worst host since Seth MacFarlane (well, I'd say Seth was better since at least he wasn't afraid to get offensive when he started outright bombing).

Kevtones

Boyhood is one of my favorite films. It reignited my career and changed my life and inspired to the point to write a script that got optioned in January.

I had to watch Birdman twice to get through it but I appreciated its direction and cinematography and performances. It was on-the-nose and aimless in the end but Hollywood loves Hollywood and it was a done deal once it got the buzz. I wish Amores Perros could just get the Oscar somehow but good for those who won. Well-deserved for your hard work and love to Keaton.

Linklater I love you and I will love your achievement until the bitter end.

Hard to complain too much about the results. Redmayne was the best in a competitive field, and, while it would have been nice to see Linklater's great achievement with Boyhood rewarded somehow, Birdman had all of the momentum, and was ambitious enough that I can't whinge too much about it winning.

Performer of the night was probably The Grand Budapest Hotel. For a comedy-drama released in March to do that well is staggeringly good.

MIMIC

Banned
Wait, American Sniper didn't win shit?!?

WINNERS
Whiplash (Supporting Actor, Sound Mixing, Film Editing)
The Grand Budapest Hotel (Costume Design, Makeup & Hairstyling, Production Design, Original Score)
Ida (Foreign Language Film)
The Phone Call (Live-Action Short Film)
Crisis Hotline: Veterans Press 1 (Documentary - Short Subject)
*****American Sniper (Sound Editing)*****
Boyhood (Supporting Actress)
Interstellar (Visual Effects)
Feast (Animated Short Film)
Big Hero 6 (Animated Film)
Birdman (Cinematography, Original Screenplay, Director, Best Picture)
CitizenFour (Documentary - Feature)
Selma (Original Song)
The Imitation Game (Adapted Screenplay)
The Theory of Everything (Best Actor)
Still Alice (Best Actress)

NYR

Keaton deserved the Oscar simply based on his career, got robbed. Eddie already fucking up his career with that Jupiter shit.

injurai

Banned
Boyhood is one of my favorite films. It reignited my career and changed my life and inspired to the point to write a script that got optioned in January.

I had to watch Birdman twice to get through it but I appreciated its direction and cinematography and performances. It was on-the-nose and aimless in the end but Hollywood loves Hollywood and it was a done deal once it got the buzz. I wish Amores Perros could just get the Oscar somehow but good for those who won. Well-deserved for your hard work and love to Keaton.

Linklater I love you and I will love your achievement until the bitter end.

Yeah the all or nothing approach when praising oscar nominees is tiring. But gaf gonna gaf.

From all the praise that seemed to come from it's long production over the actual quality of filmmaking.

Most reviews praised the actual quality of filmmaking. I can start linking you to reviews that go into depth more than the "12 years of filmmaking," but that won't matter. Everyone is focused on the "12 years of filmmaking" bit, so they'll focus on the few paragraphs in the review which talk about that segment, and present it as the whole.

Gimmicks don't carry you this far with subject matter as tame as Boyhood's.

It's also ridiculous that this hate for Boyhood has started to infect people's thoughts regarding movies like the Before Trilogy. If you want to hate a Linklater movie, look at Fast Food Nation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom