• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 87th Academy Awards |OT| The One That Matters

Status
Not open for further replies.

burgervan

I usually have no problem with the Oscars, but holy shit that was the worst I've ever seen. Did they even hire writers?! They had some set ups but no punchlines. Just astounding that people got paid for that.

I'm not a NPH fan, but he probably would've been fine with some better material (or any material for that matter).

jtb

Banned
RedLetterMedia made their name by sidestepping the kind of snark that usually characterized the fanboy whining about the Star Wars prequels and replacing it with thoughtful, sneakily intelligent criticism.

their review of Boyhood was lazy and snarky, independent of the actual opinion, and demonstrated exactly why Half in the Bag is nowhere near as good as their in-depth reviews

Lemaitre

Banned
Its a joke UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH. Penn and Iñarritu are close friends.

Next year Guillermo del Toro is winning Best Director for Pacific Rim 2 <3

No one can learn to take a joke these days man. Entire Mexican household was cracking up at that line.

I feel like Keaton got snubbed for Best Actor because Birdman got Best Picture.

IMO, you give Keaton Best Actor and you give Boyhood or Whiplash Best Picture

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I actually thought Norton was better than Keaton, I haven't seen Whiplash yet though!

Norton was better than Keaton but JK Simmons was better than everyone. If he was up for best animated short film or sound mixing he should have won those.

when sean penn feigned annoyance i almost thought american sniper won for a second lol.

was hoping boyhood or grand budapest would win but whatever, birdman was aiight. glory and common/john legend won the night

neil patrick harris was awful.

RangersFan

Boring terrible show this year. A few disappointing outcomes, and a very disappointing NPH. Writers dropped the ball, probably, NPH is usually great.

RedLetterMedia made their name by sidestepping the kind of snark that usually characterized the fanboy whining about the Star Wars prequels and replacing it with thoughtful, sneakily intelligent criticism.

their review of Boyhood was lazy and snarky, independent of the actual opinion, and demonstrated exactly why Half in the Bag is nowhere near as good as their in-depth reviews

Do you expect their Plinkett reviews, with really in depth and heavily thought out scripts to beat out Half in the Bag which is largely on-the-spot if not spontaneous? Of course it won't be in depth, Hitb is basically them just making jokes and letting people know "yay or nay"

Oddduck

I usually have no problem with the Oscars, but holy shit that was the worst I've ever seen. Did they even hire writers?! They had some set ups but no punchlines. Just astounding that people got paid for that.

I'm not a NPH fan, but he probably would've been fine with some better material (or any material for that matter).

Yeah, the writers didn't give him any good material to work with.

All of the jokes were awful and fell flat.

Someone's going to have to explain the vitriol for Boyhood in this thread to me, because holy shit it's bordering on unnecessary at this point

It's doubly confusing considering how well it was received before we started to roll into Oscar season and it was looking like the frontrunner

Half in the Bag is the most honest slice of film criticism circling the net.

Their review of Boyhood felt sincere to me. They did a complete breakdown of what it was about the film that didn't work for them, and how it didn't speak to them on any emotional or narrative level. I believe now they're simply making fun of themselves for being outliers.

Maengun1

I like Birdman a lot, but Keaton is by far the best part of the movie IMO, so him losing while it wins Directing/Screenplay/Picture is just....such a bad feeling.

Oscars continue to mostly suck

Parch

I don't have a problem with Birdman winning. I do think it was just as much oscar bait as any biography movie.

I really don't have a problem with any of the winners. There are good arguments about the lack of some nominations.

Plus we got to see the death of a career tonight. Don't be waiting by the phone for that Smurfs 3 offer Neil.

BraXzy

d9cd57cae578c5404c4e51ed01eb929d.png

Helmholtz

Overall I thought the winners were pretty deserved. Pleasantly surprised to see Budapest take a high number of awards, even if it didn't nab any big ones. It was probably my favorite movie of the year. Birdman was my third favorite movie (behind GBH and Whiplash), but it's a really well made movie so I can't really complain. I'm kind of relieved that Boyhood didn't win any of the big ones. It's a decent enough movie and a cool experiment, but come on.
Disappointed with:
Keaton not winning for Birdman.
Wes Anderson not getting director or screenplay.
Whiplash losing adapted to Imitation Game.
The show itself was a big snoozefest however. NPH wasn't great but the writing was just so half baked.

jtb

Banned
Do you expect their Plinkett reviews, with really in depth and heavily thought out scripts to beat out Half in the Bag which is largely on-the-spot if not spontaneous? Of course it won't be in depth, Hitb is basically them just making jokes and letting people know "yay or nay"

so you're saying it's a comedy show and not a review show?

because I think that reflects even worse on HITB than saying they're a review show.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Someone's going to have to explain the vitriol for Boyhood in this thread to me, because holy shit it's bordering on unnecessary at this point

It's doubly confusing considering how well it was received before we started to roll into Oscar season and it was looking like the frontrunner

No idea. I like his Before trilogy better, but Boyhood was a good film.

Guillermo needs to win to complete the Trinity.

I fucking loved Birdman and Budapest. Glad they won as many as they did. Wish Keaton won, but in fairness, I have not seen Theory. Or Whiplash, though I'm hoping to rectify that mistake before long.

Ninjimbo

Budapest and Birdman are equals in my eyes. I think Budapest has the better screenplay. I'm surprised it lost there to be honest since Wes has been producing great stuff years. He's never won a single award for them. I thought this would be his year since GBH is one of his best and the other nominees were a cut below it. That's the only award I'm really down on.

Keaton getting snubbed, expected it so I'm not so down on it.

Had already noticed it with other reviews, but yeah. Previous reviews made me learn a lot about their viewing habits, and made some of the opinions less worthy of consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom