• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 87th Academy Awards |OT| The One That Matters

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuuKyK

vOQYNkO.gif

The Oprah Awards.

jtb

Banned
Man, I love AO Scott. I don't agree with him all the time but he's easily my go-to film critic since Ebert died.

Almost every speech was politicized somehow. I get its a big stage, but come on. I guess we're in the era where people just have to say what's bothering them or on their mind.

Also, as good as Innaritu is, how does a guy who has a singular vision for over 12 years not win? Imagine having an idea and doing something 12 years ago and keeping that going.
Because anyone can keep doing something for 12 years, it doesn't automatically make you the best director in the room.

Blader

I don't hate Boyhood. I haven't even seen it. I haven't seen The Theory of Everything. I haven't seen The Imitation Game.

I set out to watch movies that look interesting to me from their trailers, reviews, and such. A lot of the pull for Boyhood was "Watch this kid grow up on screen," and it didn't seem all that interesting. Typically when the Oscars come around, I haven't seen a good chunk of the nominees. Most Oscar nominees are limited release movies and don't even play here for months after everyone else gets to see them, and I've lost interest.

I have seen Birdman. I have seen Grand Budapest Hotel, and I greatly enjoyed them. And amazingly, they were big winners this year, and I liked that something I enjoyed was getting recognized.

Boyhood's probably solid. I'll watch it eventually. But I didn't want it to win, because movies I had seen and liked were running against it. That may seem petty, but it's how it is. Simple as that.

Most people who liked Boyhood liked for its craft, it's story, and how it resonates. The only people who single out the 12-year production as its only redeeming value are the people who didn't like it. So rooting your opinion in "people only like it because it was shot over 12 years" is already drawing from a poisoned well.

I usually have no problem with the Oscars, but holy shit that was the worst I've ever seen. Did they even hire writers?! They had some set ups but no punchlines. Just astounding that people got paid for that.

I'm not a NPH fan, but he probably would've been fine with some better material (or any material for that matter).

Guy who wrote the Green Lantern movie was one of the writers.

Almost every speech was politicized somehow. I get its a big stage, but come on. I guess we're in the era where people just have to say what's bothering them or on their mind.

Also, as good as Innaritu is, how does a guy who has a singular vision for over 12 years not win? Imagine having an idea and doing something 12 years ago and keeping that going.

So you're saying Chuck Lorre deserves an Emmy?

I got 12 years of home videos sitting on a shelf. let me know when I should expect ny Oscar.

Man, I love AO Scott. I don't agree with him all the time but he's easily my go-to film critic since Ebert died.

You got him, Wesley Morris, Michael Phillips, Sight and Sound, Film Comment, Reverse Shot, and probably a couple others I am missing. I don't read as much as I used to.

Most people who liked Boyhood liked for its craft, it's story, and how it resonates. The only people who single out the 12-year production as its only redeeming value are the people who didn't like it. So rooting your opinion in "people only like it because it was shot over 12 years" is already drawing from a poisoned well.
Isn't the craft the fact that it took 12 years?

Road

Quick thoughts before bed.

Original Screenplay should've gone to GBH.
The worst comic book movie of the year won an Oscar.
It seems people already forgot Boyhood was made over 12 years.
People will have forgotten Birdman in a month.
Good surprise at all the Whiplash wins.
Oprah gifs saved the award

Kangi

Ellen needs to host once again.

"Possibility number one: 12 Years a Slave wins best picture.
Possibility number two: you're all racists."

f0lken

You know they are buddies right? Also, we Mexicans don't get offended that easy.

Yeah, here we know they're friends, so we took it as the joke that it was, the only thing we said in our house was a "que pinche manchado" but in the context that it was a joke

Zodzilla

I never saw the RLM piece on Boyhood. My feeling is that if the movie had been filmed conventionally, over 3 or so months, with different actors for the different ages of the children, and makeup for the adults... It wouldn't have even been nominated. Except maybe for Patricia.

I think the passage of time was integral to the way the film turned out, it's a film that's special because every scene is an accurate depiction on what would be going on in that specific family's life at that given time. It's like viewing a documentary of entertaining moments of a family's life, except it's all constructed. The reason I appreciate Boyhood is that it's not pretentious in the use of a "gimmick" and those constructed moments presented feel honest and not forced.

Also, I'm not saying it deserved to win. I'm happy Birdman won (would've been happier for Whiplash, even) I'm saying those who are happy that it didn't look petty and childish.

Oprah gifs saved the awards
I honestly can't tell if this is sarcasm or not haha

Sanjuro

Any embarrassing oscar moments or no?

Also, was NPH bad because he was boring or bad because he was inappropriate and or akward?

He had awful jokes, awful timing and awkward pauses, seemed generally nervous the entire night.

His most inappropriate joke was making Oprah confused.

rude

Banned
Any embarrassing oscar moments or no?

Also, was NPH bad because he was boring or bad because he was inappropriate and or akward?
Terrance Howard

And NPH was audibly nervous the whole night. Combine that with not being funny and you have an utterly forgettable host.

I don't hate Boyhood. I haven't even seen it.

Motherfucker you saw God's Not Dead and you didn't see Boyhood

I'm glad Mandrake Air failed

Bring it on old man! Bring it on!

*grabs shotgun*

In all seriousness though, I totally get it. The Before series won't be everyone's cup of tea. Personally for me though, I saw the first movie when I was right around that age, in the Art Museum of Philadelphia, and it totally hooked me. The other two movies were just as good, if not better. They'll likely resonate with me even more if I watch them when I'm that age as well.

Ashhong

I understand why the Academy went for Redmayne—overly emotional Oscar bait roles tend to win, due to their ability to give the actor a lot of "emotional" bits to work off of—but it's still majorly disappointing.

Michael Keaton just gave the performance of his career in a very unique role and film only to lose to blatant bait.

I hate this bullshit word "bait" as if to discredit another actor's well deserved win. Redmayne gave an amazing performance and it wasn't just because of "emotional" bits to work off of. The physical acting that he did was amazing. Watch the fucking movie

jtb

Banned
You got him, Wesley Morris, Michael Phillips, Sight and Sound, Film Comment, Reverse Shot, and probably a couple others I am missing. I don't read as much as I used to.

Yup, Michael Phillips is good too. They should never have cancelled At the Movies with him and AO Scott, they were great together.

Now, Wesley Morris. He's hit or miss. I blame Simmons. Holy shit Grantland just lets those pieces run for thousands of words on end with no focus and random tangents of contrived cultural commentary thrown in there for good measure. When he's on his game, he's great. And he's always an interesting read. But holy shit someone hire this man a fucking editor.

Blader

I never saw the RLM piece on Boyhood. My feeling is that if the movie had been filmed conventionally, over 3 or so months, with different actors for the different ages of the children, and makeup for the adults... It wouldn't have even been nominated. Except maybe for Patricia.
Had it been completely different it would've been completely different? You don't say.

Birdman is one of those movies that'll ended up in the program of many film schools.

Madness

Dude, that's not really a valid way to judge. I mean... Duke Nukem Forever took 14 years to develop.

Having an idea is one thing, executing it is a different story. He deserved a nomination, but not a win.

Because anyone can keep doing something for 12 years, it doesn't automatically make you the best director in the room.

So you're saying Chuck Lorre deserves an Emmy?

I got 12 years of home videos sitting on a shelf. let me know when I should expect ny Oscar.

The difference is Boyhood was really really good. It wasn't just 12 years of crap. It was a well directed and great film with great acting.

Loxley

I just tuned in for Best Picture, but WTF BH6 best animated picture? Over princes Kaguya? GTFO of here.

We have plenty of evidence that Academy voters know two things when it comes to the animation industry: jack and shit. There's no point in taking their votes on animation seriously - even if a movie you like actually wins by some random chance.

I mean, it's not like Big Hero 6 was a genuinely terrible film or anything - it was fun. But better than Kaguya or even HTTYD2? Eh...that's debatable.

Draconian

Let us know if you're still salty in the morning.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Better to make a political statement than just give another masturbatory speech on how great Hollywood is.

In a way its still hollywood masturbating to the idea that its liberal and open when its just as conservative as any entrenched institution.

RedLetterMedia made their name by sidestepping the kind of snark that usually characterized the fanboy whining about the Star Wars prequels and replacing it with thoughtful, sneakily intelligent criticism.

their review of Boyhood was lazy and snarky, independent of the actual opinion, and demonstrated exactly why Half in the Bag is nowhere near as good as their in-depth reviews

Half in the Bag only really exists because the Plinkett reviews created an audience so big that to not follow it up with something more easily monetized would be foolish. It definitely wasn't done because there's a real passion for film criticism there. Because there pretty obviously isn't. It's done because a whole lot of people liked sharing those Star Wars reviews, and you can monetize those people. You'd be wasting a major opportunity if you didn't.

They're not really good at being film critics, and they don't want to be, obviously, but they also don't need to be, because they know they have a fanbase that doesn't really care how insightful they are. They want punchlines, they want talking points, and they want the facsimile of friendship and camaraderie in easily streamable chunks. It's basically what's been keeping Kevin Smith alive for the last 20 years.

Sure, they'd likely rather be making their own movies, like they were trying to do before the Plinkett shit took off. But this is what's working, and this is the beast that is willing to be fed, so they're gonna feed him. Ride the motherfucker til the wheels fall off. Sometimes good stuff comes out. Sometimes the ass is half full.

And I wouldn't be surprised if, on some level, all of that had something to do with their reaction to the narrative surrounding Boyhood.

Isn't the craft the fact that it took 12 years?

It's a movie that would have gotten attention without the 12 years bit, but because it took 12 years and every freaking interview had somebody mention the 12 years bit, it's impossible for it to NOT be on the minds of everybody when it comes to putting down their opinions, since even the team needed to mention it.

I watched the film on my trip overseas. I watched Maze Runner and thought "hey that was enjoyable trash". I watched Boyhood and thought "hmmm that was a good film i guess". I didn't even know it was getting as much fucking buzz as it did, and I had already watched Grand Budapest and Birdman.

I'm sad to say that my hate came from the pimping out of the movie DUE to the 12 years bit. I didn't think actors did a remarkable job. I preferred Ethan Hawke in Predestination and the kid was incredibly eh. It would have been a decent film without the 12 years bit, but not something even considered for the Oscars outside of best supporting actress/actor and maybe editing.

I'm not saying people only like it because it was shot over 12 years. But every trailer, every appearance on the news, and every conversation starter about it was "a film 12 years in the making." That just didn't give me an incentive to see it.

I may love it when I actually watch the thing. But nothing I've seen has sold me on it.

Kinyou

Noticed the same thing. Not that I really mind it, but I feel like with so many issues brought up they drown each other out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom