• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 87th Academy Awards |OT| The One That Matters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rydeen

Very glad Lubezki won, I honestly believe he's more of the reason Birdman worked than Inarritu.

Him and Deakins are the absolute best cinematographers in the business and it's absolutely insane to me Deakins hasn't won yet. The guy is insanely talented, and every film he has done is visually impressive.

Speaking of cinematographers, I'm very sad Dean Cundey has dropped off into the crappy family comedy ditch when his work on John Carpenter and Robert Zemeckis' filmography is so strong.

he pissed it away? I know he's a bit of a dick but isn't he still Wong Kar Wai's go-to guy?

also, Seamus McGarvey is a good DP too, though he's on that tier just below those three I think.

Well, he's been such an ass to people that he doesn't get high profile work anymore. That, and he really only works in Asian countries like China and Japan.

I don't think he and Wong Kar Wai get along at all anymore. They haven't worked together in many many years.

Toxi

Banned
What made me love Birdman was the direction, performances, and the weirdness.

It wasn't because of some deep message in the film.
It's a black comedy about a guy destroying himself in his desperation to prove himself, I'm not sure why people are looking for a deep message.

inky

I'd like to see Lubezki win for a Malick film. I am so in love with that style and after the Tree of Life snub I think they deserve it.

Doubt they will get it for Knight of Cups, but it would be nice.

Yea, It's one of those matches made in heaven. I'd love to see that too.

As far as other (Mexican) DPs I'd like to see more of Rodrigo Prieto and Guillermo Navarro as well. Fuck, what a generation. Keep the Mexican academy domination :p

Loakum

Banned
I'm not gonna lie, I'm glad American Sniper didn't win. Fox/News/Conservatives has been annoying as hell with their non stop "American Sniper better win, or else it will expose liberal Hollywood hates our troops" talking points for months now. The only thing they successfully done is turn me off from even seeing that film.

Dai101

Banned
I'm not gonna lie, I'm glad American Sniper didn't win. Fox/News/Conservatives has been annoying as hell with their non stop "American Sniper better win, or else it will expose liberal Hollywood hates our troops" talking points for months now. The only thing they successfully done is turn me off from even seeing that film.

They are annoying now anyway, just go check their social media outlets.

Eggbok

Video of lady gaga's preformace:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zskfZmswbQ

Simply amazing.

tumblr_mspx9lGLX91qlgbzbo1_500.gif

Moonkid

Watch a performance anywhere on youtube to see what standard camera work and editing is for music and then go back and look at Whiplash. It actually captures the performances of the musicians in a meaningful way while remaining absolutely tight and nearly perfectly paced. GBH is edited like any other Anderson film.
By performances on Youtube I hope you don't mean footage of a recital or concert because that'd be a nonsensical comparison at best. Of course Whiplash is going to present its musicianship with flair and drama your run-of-the-mill drum cover will not; those performances aren't captured for the same purpose Whiplash was filmed. It doesn't really say much for the film when it presents a stylized performance into a stylized medium. I thought it did a decent job of editing the performances, but it was always held back by the focus on blood, sweat, and tears of a performance rather than the love and musicality but that's another discussion.

lubezki has shot some of my favorite looking films: ali, tree of life, new world etc. so that was great that he won something.

but it's time roger deakins wins next. he's been snubbed far too often.

I've mentioned it here before but Lubezki winning these past two years makes up for not winning for Children of Men. Easily one of my favorite films. I haven't seen Birdman yet but I have no doubt he was completely deserving.

And yes, Deakins needs to be next.

IMO Birdman deserves the best movie oscar more than Boyhood but both of those are far worse when compared to Nightcrawler.

Poor Jake at least deserves one oscar for best actor. He is never going to get an oscar nomination if a role like that will not even win.

J.K. Simmons winning an oscar for best supporting roll is well deserved, though.

wedward

he pissed it away? I know he's a bit of a dick but isn't he still Wong Kar Wai's go-to guy?

also, Seamus McGarvey is a good DP too, though he's on that tier just below those three I think.

I am really surprised Mihai Mălaimare, Jr. hasn't done anything of note since The Master.

He had only really done Coppola movies prior to The Master, but I figured after that he would get something. Looks like he did A Walk Among The Tombstones.

The Master looked stunning.

They are annoying now anyway, just go check their social media outlets.

Everyone is annoying when it comes to the Oscars. They are a trade show and not an arbiter of art or taste. Crash won. Cimarron won. Around The World In 80 Days won.

Christ. The Great Show On Earth won!!!!

It's a trade show. That's it. It's the most legit of all of them (anyone who puts stock in the Golden Globe awards needs to be laughed at and mocked) but that's it.

Sometimes the "best" (let's be honest here...) AMERICAN movie wins, but a lot of the times it doesn't. That doesn't make one movie bad or one movie good. All it does it make one movie get attached to the phrase "Academy Award winner" for all time.

gaga's performance and common/john legend speech and performance won this mediocre night. man there's a lot of talent there and i think the latter two got their points across nicely in their speech.

Rydeen

I'm glad imitation game was mostly shafted. Movie was good but it wasn't really oscar good.

Harvey Weinstein is notorious for using some really sleazy tactics to get his films nominated, even if they're not Oscar-worthy. Remember Shakespeare in Love winning over Saving Private Ryan?

jtb

Banned
Harvey Weinstein is notorious for using some really sleazy tactics to get his films nominated, even if they're not Oscar-worthy. Remember Shakespeare in Love winning over Saving Private Ryan?

I've come around on Shakespeare in Love. It's pretty good. Love Tom Stoppard. Probably better than Saving Private Ryan.

The Imitation Game, however, is fucking terrible. The King's Speech and the Artist are both completley unremarkable.

still, at the end of the day, Harvey backs Tarantino pretty unequivocally so it's hard for me to get too pissed at his shameless Oscar campaigning.

Eh, I've always found this viewpoint a bit silly. Does he schmooze and promote the hell out of movies he's backing in order to help them get Oscar nominations and wins? Yes. Does he control the pens the voters hold when they fill out their ballots? Nope.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I've come around on Shakespeare in Love. It's pretty good. Love Tom Stoppard. Probably better than Saving Private Ryan.

The Imitation Game, however, is fucking terrible. The King's Speech and the Artist are both completley unremarkable.

still, at the end of the day, Harvey backs Tarantino pretty unequivocally so it's hard for me to get too pissed at his shameless Oscar campaigning.

Who wouldnt do that for Tarantino though?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

Oh my god yeah that's right. What a fucking rage worthy moment
even though I did like shakespear in love
. How does Weinstein even do this shit? Does he just have people throwing money at the right dudes or what?

Seriously though, imitation game just wasn't on the same level as any of the other movies listed there, except for american sniper, which also didn't deserve to be nominated for best picture. Because they're just not that remarkable.

You know the parts in SPR that everyone hated? Guess who wrote them? Paul Haggis, the man behind one of the worst best picture winners (Crash) and the worst parts about Million Dollar Baby (the screenplay).

I'm glad Haggis has faded away. His on the nose writing was toxic to complex and interesting stories/subjects.

jtb

Banned
Who wouldnt do that for Tarantino though?

Eh, commercially, his career was pretty shaky between Jackie Brown and Death Proof. Wasn't until Inglorious Basterds that his films became box office hits again. But Harvey always seemed game to bankroll whatever Tarantino wanted to make. (I think Pulp Fiction was Harvey's first Best Picture nomination iirc? I know it really put Miramax on the Oscar map.)

Rydeen

Oh my god yeah that's right. What a fucking rage worthy moment
even though I did like shakespear in love
. How does Weinstein even do this shit? Does he just have people throwing money at the right dudes or what?
I'm sure there's plenty of blowjobs and cocaine to go around.

You know the parts in SPR that everyone hated? Guess who wrote them? Paul Haggis, the man behind one of the worst best picture winners (Crash) and the worst parts about Million Dollar Baby (the screenplay).

I'm glad Haggis has faded away. His on the nose writing was toxic to complex and interesting stories/subjects.
Haggis is/was a hack, but he's still not as rage-worthy as AKIVA GOLDSMAN. I hate that guy, he was Lindelof / Kurtzman / Orci before them, but even more toxic because he worked his way up to being fucking Oscar worthy. That's right, the man who "wrote" Batman and Robin won a fucking Oscar.

I'm sure there's plenty of blowjobs and cocaine to go around.

Haggis is/was a hack, but he's still not as rage-worthy as AKIVA GOLDSMAN. I hate that guy, he was Lindelof / Kurtzman / Orci before them, but even more toxic because he worked his way up to being fucking Oscar worthy. That's right, the man who "wrote" Batman and Robin won a fucking Oscar.

Urg. I was ready for bed and now I'm upset again.

CONTROVERSIAL OPINION: I think The Imitation Game is on par with A Beautiful Mind as being miswritten and misdirected. Both are a shame.

jtb

Banned
Urg. I was ready for bed and now I'm upset again.

CONTROVERSIAL OPINION: I think The Imitation Game is on par with A Beautiful Mind as being miswritten and misdirected. Both are a shame.

Absolutely. Completely wrongheaded in intent; sterile and dull in execution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom