• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 87th Academy Awards |OT| The One That Matters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Urg. I was ready for bed and now I'm upset again.

CONTROVERSIAL OPINION: I think The Imitation Game is on par with A Beautiful Mind as being miswritten and misdirected. Both are a shame.

Imitation game felt like it was trying to be more than it actually was, it had the most frustrating pacing, and the culmination of the story felt like a subplot slowly became the core focus of the story. Almost as if the director decided half way through that they needed something else to carry the story because cracking enigma wasn't engaging enough.

A beautiful mind at least had more tact to what it was doing.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
And speaking of Mexican media overreacting:

F17FFWF.png

They are comparing winning Best Movie to winning a World Cup. I'm cool that Iñárritu won it, but talk about latching to someone else's success.

jtb

Banned

F17FFWF.png

They are comparing winning Best Movie to winning a World Cup. I'm cool that Iñárritu won it, but talk about latching to someone else's success.

was there a similar reaction when Cuaron won best director last year? or was that less of a big deal because it didn't win best picture?

Oersted

Harvey Weinstein is notorious for using some really sleazy tactics to get his films nominated, even if they're not Oscar-worthy. Remember Shakespeare in Love winning over Saving Private Ryan?

Over Saving Private Ryan and The Thin Red Line.

Gwyneth Palthrow winning over Cate Blanchett as Elizabeth, one of the greatest performances ever.

Screenplay winning over Truman Show.

Winning Score over Prince of Egypt.

Winning Best Art Direction over Pleasantville.

And while Judi Dench deserves an Oscar, it wasn't for Shakespeare.

neoanarch

F17FFWF.png

To be fair calling MedioTiempo a fair representative of the Mexican news media is ridiculous. It's a football website with some off topic bloggers.

You know what is crazy though finding out who is Alejandros brother. I never would have guessed they are related.

Nothing was really noteworthy in The Imitation Game other than Cumberbatch's performance.

He was well worth an acting nomination, but I don't think the film did much to merit anything else.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
To be fair calling MedioTiempo a fair representative of the Mexican news media is ridiculous. It's a football website with some off topic bloggers.

You know what is crazy though finding out who is Alejandros brother. I never would have guessed they are related.
It's clear Alejandro got all the talent.

ivysaur12

Banned
Well....that's a...surprise, but then again, I'm inclined to believe the person who admitted to committing suicide in front of tens of millions.

It actually would clear a lot of things up with me considering the movie had a weird inclination not to really engage with Alan Turning's gayness (among other issues I had with the film).

But maybe he's straight.

Guamu

F17FFWF.png

Well, to be fair, that silly comparison is from a soccer news webpage.

Oh, beaten. I should scroll 'till the end before posting

for real. it always makes me laugh when people ask why any form of art work has to have any message. Like, isn't that the fuckin point and why any artist does anything at all?

People that say "not everything can be Shakespeare" boil my blood.

Same for "turn off your brain".

Stop apologizing for shitty films.

Peru

Birdman: Average, film school stuff. Better than some of the other nominees, but not good. Good acting performances, actors who sold their parts, but mediocre film.

Urg. I was ready for bed and now I'm upset again.

CONTROVERSIAL OPINION: I think The Imitation Game is on par with A Beautiful Mind as being miswritten and misdirected. Both are a shame.

Not controversial IMO. When an Oscar bait bio pic manages to surprise me in a bad way it has to be terrible. Rain Man Turing given an 'Insiprational Quotes - The Script' and filmmakers intent on making one of the most intriguing, thrilling stories of WW2 boring.. unbelievable.

Kadayi

Banned

Agreed. I always saw that as a bit of a 'we fucked up' Oscar for having not given it to her for Mrs Brown previously. IIRC she lost out to Helen Hunt, and at the time even Hunt was a bit surprised at that in her acceptance speech.

Over Saving Private Ryan and The Thin Red Line.

Gwyneth Palthrow winning over Cate Blanchett as Elizabeth, one of the greatest performances ever.

Screenplay winning over Truman Show.

Winning Score over Prince of Egypt.

Winning Best Art Direction over Pleasantville.

wait.

Dench won an Oscar for a role where she had three lines?

Yeah I'm actually glad that Birdman and J.K. Simmons (Whiplash) won. Two of the best releases from last year and probably going to go down as very memorable too.

derder

birdman was a movie that told everyone it was important and people were fool enough to believe it
I don't think that's true, but that's mighty fine rhetoric. I'd say that american Sniper is the prime example of that statement.

Birdman is refreshing, new, engaging all due to the narrative, directing, sound design, and cinematography.

Without those you'd have an American Sniper - a movie that isn't worth mentioning except that it tells itself its important.

So basically Juno?

I loved Juno. Not even gonna spoiler that.

basically. i like juno but that's as far as i'd go with it. liked birdman too, just dont think it was what it told us it was, or what the academy voters think it was

I don't think that's true, but that's mighty fine rhetoric. I'd say that american Sniper is the prime example of that statement.

Birdman is refreshing, new, engaging all due to the narrative, directing, sound design, and cinematography.

Without those you'd have an American Sniper - a movie that isn't worth mentioning except that it tells itself its important.

yeah i haven't seen american sniper yet but it seems to kind of fit that mold. though i'd guess Birdman is more impressive technically (cinematography, namely)

derder

If you called Boyhood: "Motherhood" you'd have a much more accessible movie. The movie turned out to be about her, whether they meant to or not.

I'm going to settle this Birdman/Boyhood debate once and for all:

Nightcrawler was better than both of them.

Indeed it was. Though I liked all three.

Character Study? The characters are 1 dimensional. None of them are believable, and every scene is a 30 second screaming match about how nothing has meaning at all.

It's the sort of confusing messagless meandering thing that high college kids will ramble on about for the next 6 months about being deep and meaningful without anyone actually being able to tell you what it was about.

It also served as a way for a bunch of hollywood actors who have starred in big budget movies to take a giant dump on bid budget movies.

I would have left the theater halfway through the stupid mans No Exit, except I wanted to suffer through it so that anyone who posited the opinion that the movie had anything redeeming about it couldn't hold over me that I hadn't finished the movie.

Which means I got to see the marvelous scene where he shoots his beak off. because SYMBOLISM. Do you get it? He shot his BEAK off!

Yours is an interesting take though, Stooge.

I didn't really get most of it either, but I tend to blame myself and try to look harder when that happens, but perhaps this film isn't necessarily deserving. Mostly I took it to be about getting old, which I've always liked as a theme. And I thought Norton did pretty good. But yeah, it's definitely not going to stick with me like Nightcrawler did.

Would have loved if Interstellar won for soundtrack but glad it's GBH as well. Shame about Keaton though, was rooting for him and J.K Simmons(glad he won). Other then that, I'm indifferent about the other winners and I thought the show as a whole, was a snoozefest.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
Is there a list of videos with all the acceptance speaches in good quality? All I can find on youtube are shitty cell phone videos with spanish commentary.

thenexus6

Surprised American Sniper got shat over. Kinda what happened to Lincoln, but even worse.

I am happy with JK winning best supporting actor well deserved.
Glad Interstellar took visual effects.

- Wanted Kaguya to take animated but that was never going to happen.
- Thought Wes was going to take screenplay, then GBH starting taking a lot of rewards like costume etc and thought well not anymore then..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom