• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The All-Star Break is over! The NEW MLB Thread - This half we get stickied for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
yeah, Heredia blows. Saw it many a time on the north side.

Chi Sox continue their skid. 4 games back now. time to see how good of a manager Ozzie really is.

Joe

peter gammons said the mets and pirates completed a trade for kris benson. mets send over ty wigginton and a couple prospects. he also said the chisox got involved as a third team to help the mets so the twins wouldn't get benson.

Joe

yeah im actually glad the white sox management is showing they want to win even if their team isn't.

i'm sorry. :|

Joe

well the mets had absolutely no need for wigginton with wright up in the bigs now so i guess its a good trade for them.

Triumph

Banned
The Mets should know better. Look at the top of the NL LEast standings- you see the Braves. Face it. There is no way around it- the Braves will win this division until the Phillies fire Larry "No Game" Bowa, and the Mets will be lucky to ever finish third again. Their organization is a laughingstock, from top to bottom. The Braves are just good enough to be better than the rest of the LEast, but not good enough to beat the Cards, Cubs, Dodgers or Giants in a postseason series.

Mrbob

Bless Bobby Cox. The best regular season manager in MLB history.

Then the postseason comes around and he runs and hides.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
Joe said:
yeah im actually glad the white sox management is showing they want to win even if their team isn't.

i'm sorry. :|

lol =(

gah. we have no 1-3 hitters. period. I mean, imagine Carlos Lee/Frank Thomas/Magglio Ordonez/Carl Everett/Paul Konerko as 3-7. Insane. Konerko is tied with ManRam for the AL lead in HRs, and Carlos has hit more homers in July than anyone else in the majors. Just a SICK line-up.

..only Maggs and Thomas are hurt for a long time. It just sucks. Gonna have to try to suck it up. 60 games left, plenty of time. And I'm pretty confident Kenny will trade for a lead off man by saturday. At least, I hope so. Blocking Benson was a great move.

But we got some major work to do.

Mrbob

Quothe myself, from earlier in this thread:

No mags. NO thomas. Stick a fork in the White Sox, they are done.

Finally catching up with them. Their season is over. Pretty soon the Indians are gonna claim 2nd in the AL Central.

Triumph

Banned
Mrbob said:
Bless Bobby Cox. The best regular season manager in MLB history.

Then the postseason comes around and he runs and hides.
Sadly, the problem is that the mentality and attitude that makes Bobby such a great regular season manager is EXACTLY what kills him in the postseason. During the regular season, the Braves don't get rattled. They don't get upset, they don't freak out if they're out of first or the wild card. They play it for the long haul, not the short haul.

You can't do that in the postseason. Every game counts. Every inning, out and pitch counts. You HAVE to play that way, and Bobby chooses not to. And that's why the Braves will probably never win another World Series again under his leadership, which is sad- he deserves better, but ultimately will go into the Hall of Fame, likely taking Leo Mazzone and maybe even John Schuerholz along with him.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
I wouldn't say that quite yet. Out of their last 83 games(20 some of those are gone already I'm aware), 50 are with divisional opponents. And their division isn't all that strong.

They still have a shot. They have a mediocre team right now. They need some motivation. They still are more talented than the Twins. they just need to learn how to use all that talent. Like I said, let's see whta Ozzie can do.

definitely have the chance to make a run. time will tell if they can make the jump from medioce to good like the Twins have done so many times.

and no, the Indians are close, but they won't pass the Sox. No way. We're on a 5 game losing streak. that won't keep up.

Scoobert

Raoul Duke said:
The Mets should know better. Look at the top of the NL LEast standings- you see the Braves. Face it. There is no way around it- the Braves will win this division until the Phillies fire Larry "No Game" Bowa, and the Mets will be lucky to ever finish third again. Their organization is a laughingstock, from top to bottom. The Braves are just good enough to be better than the rest of the LEast, but not good enough to beat the Cards, Cubs, Dodgers or Giants in a postseason series.

The Phillies have to beat the Marlins first. The Braves are first in the division but right now they are over achieving. The Marlins and Phillies are a better team, it's just both teams went through long losing breaks. The Braves have more or less been playing consistent, while everyone else in the East hasn't. The Phillies and Marlins are a much better team. We'll see what happens in the next couple weeks.

Scoobert

Supposedly theres a done deal with the Marlins and two other teams. No specifics just rumors about the players, supposed to be announced today.

Joe

jeez, could be anything. the marlins were involved in a lot of rumors. it'll probably end up being for larry walker, or steve finley. jose contreras is an outside shot.

Scoobert

Their's 3 rumors going around about the Marlins. None for Finley or Walker. The Contreras thing is dead. I think the Marlins stopped talking with the Yankees, because the Yankees have almost no shot at Johnson anymore.

The names floating around though are Penny, Conine(I would be pissed), Choi( I would be really pissed), some hitter(Nunez?).

Those are the Marlins being mentioned with trade rumors right now.

The players mentioned being traded to the Marlins are Lo Duca, Ishii, Mota, Encarnacion.

Don't ask me what players for who, its all a confusing mess.

Scoobert

Not bad? Th Marlins would get royally screwed. The Marlins would get nothing in return, there goes the playoffs. They are way off about Burnett. He's the future of the team, he's worth alot more than what has been mentioned.

I'm really hoping ESPN is wrong with all this Marlin talk. Nothing really sounds all that interesting, for the Marlins.

rc213

I hope the Dodgers aren't dumb enough to make any of the so far rumoured trades. Giving up Mota, LoDuca or Werth would be big mistakes. Why the hell are they so bull-headed about getting Steve Finley when they dont really need him. =\ What's the use of getting another starting pitcher if they have to give up their ace in the bullpen, makes no sense.

Joe said:
he was actually a good reliever last year for the yanks and the reds, they're just hoping he can capture it again.

joe, i beg you, stop drinking the damn kool-aid. how are you gonna compare what he did in cincy to new york?

Scoobert

ESPNews is reporting Charles Johnson to LA. Which means this whole LA/Marlins deal is pretty solid. And that makes me cry. :(

Here's the rumored trade:

Dodgers: Finley Penny Choi
Marlins: Mota LoDuca Encarnacion
Arizona: Werth Murphy

If this happens, the Dodgers just raped everyone. :(

Kettch

What the hell? Grudz thrown out at home for the second out? Someone please tell me he ran past the stop sign. Kim better not have sent him. Good thing Sosa came through, but we could have had 1st and 3rd, 1 out now.

Rodriguez

Brad Fullmer traded from Rangers to Padres for a minor leaguer to be named later.

What happened to Ishii in the 3-team deal?

Scoobert

ESPNews just said Johnson was just dealt to the Dodgers.
Edit: Bastards, they meant Charles Johnson...I said RJ first, lol.

And Marlins/Walker deal is not dead supposedly.

The whole thing with Ishii was that if LA got Randy Johnson, then Marlins would get Ishii. That was part of the rumored trade deals.

Scoobert

Various places and ESPNews. It's an ESPN channel, of course heh.

But as of now, ESPN is banned! They keep freaking flip flopping. Now they say Walker want no part of Florida. And now everything looks like this:

Marlins: Ishii, Mota, Lo Duca
Arizona: Penny, Murphy
Dodgers: R. Johnson

I hate trade deadlines, lol.

Scoobert

rc213 said:
Sportscenter:

Florida:
Mota
Duca
Encarnacion

Dodgers:
Penny
Choi
Murphy - great prospect

Supposedly Done Deal?!?!?!

Yes, it's done. Marlins were just raped 3 times. I mean WTF!! Marlins became freaking sellers!?! Thanks alot Beinfest, what a GM! I wanna cry so bad. :(

Dodgers plan to use the trade to get Randy Johnson and Finley.

Oh god they traded Scott Kazmir. TERRIBLE TERRIBLE DEAL.

EDIT: They just mortgaged their future to take a shot at the playoffs with what has always been (and remains) a mediocre team. I can't believe this. This is a disaster.

I'm still trying to get the full details of this trade, a few more players were involved.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Scoobert said:
Yes, it's done. Marlins were just raped 3 times. I mean WTF!! Marlins became freaking sellers!?! Thanks alot Beinfest, what a GM! I wanna cry so bad. :(

Dodgers plan to use the trade to get Randy Johnson and Finley.

Huh? I thought Johnson flatly stated he would not go to LA (at least to the team), though I wish he would since I think the D-Backs could get the most value from either LA or Anaheim.

Meier

Who are we gonna use at catcher? David Ross? He's not a bad player but his offense is very unreliable -- our team has been playing great, why would we even be attempting to go after Steve Finley? Sure he's having a good year but when we did this last year for Burnitz he SUCKED once he came to us and then he was gone a year later.

I'm not a big fan of this UNLESS we can get the Unit. Trading for Finley is unnecessary.

Scoobert

It's either LA or stay in Arizona. He's been open to be traded to LA for couple days now, but is unsure.

Now the Marlins lose a SP, and Beckett is still uncertain. Who are the Marlins going to use for a 5th starter? And what happens if Beckett goes down again? Wee...3 man rotation!

And the Marlins got rid of Derek Lee last year for what? Now they have nothing to show for it by trading Choi, what a waste. Encarnacion is horrible, he didn't do a thing for the Marlins last year.

rc213

If the Big Unit says yes to the Dodgers, it would set in motion series of blockbuster trades that would also include Steve Finley and the Marlins, according to Gammons.
Florida would send Brad Penny, Hee Seop Choi and left-handed pitcher Billy Murphy to the Dodgers for Paul Lo Duca, Kaz Ishii and Guillermo Mota. The Dodgers then have separate deals tentatively in place with Arizona for Finley and Johnson that would require each player's approval.
The Dodgers could also acquire Finley in a three-team deal even if they don't get Johnson.
L.A. would get Finley from Arizona, and Brad Penny and Hee Seop Choi from Florida, while the Marlins would get Guillermo Mota, Paul Lo Duca and Juan Encarnacion from the Dodgers.
Arizona would get prospect Jayson Werth from the Dodgers, and prospects from the Marlins.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1849414

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Arizona would get prospect Jayson Werth from the Dodgers, and prospects from the Marlins

Wow, awesome!

No matter what happens, I'm sure Arizona will get the ass-end of this deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom