• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The All-Star Break is over! The NEW MLB Thread - This half we get stickied for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fifty

Dammit, why did Delgado have to stay here. Lazy SOB. If we traded him to a contender everyone would win. They'd get a great player, we'd get something in return (we'll lose him next season anyway), and he'd get to play for a ring. The guy needs to wake up and agree to a move. Now he's not even in the trade rumor section :(

rc213

Meier said:
Who are we gonna use at catcher? David Ross? He's not a bad player but his offense is very unreliable -- our team has been playing great, why would we even be attempting to go after Steve Finley? Sure he's having a good year but when we did this last year for Burnitz he SUCKED once he came to us and then he was gone a year later.

I'm not a big fan of this UNLESS we can get the Unit. Trading for Finley is unnecessary.

I would also like to know who will be our catcher, Hundley is out for the season i believe. It would be great if all this could land RJ but i still dont see why they want Steve Finley? I hope they asked Milton Bradley about moving from Center field since Steve has said the only way he would accept a trade is if he would be able to play Center Field.

rc213

The Mets have acquired Pirates' right-hander Kris Benson and a minor leaguer in a three-team trade.
Pittsburgh gets third baseman Ty Wigginton and right-handed pitching prospect Matt Peterson from the Mets and third baseman Jose Bautista from the Royals. Kansas City gets Mets catching prospect Justin Huber.
Also, the Mets acquired right-hander Victor Zambrano from the Tampa Bay Devil Rays for left-handed pitching prospect Scott Kazmir and another minor leaguer.
San Diego Padres-Texas Rangers: The Padres have acquired DH Brad Fullmer from the Rangers for a minor leaguer to be named later.
Fullmer was put on the 15-day DL on Monday. He is sidelined with a sore right knee, the same one on which he had surgery last season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1849462

Mrbob

Yes! Cubs make the comeback today and win 10-7!!! Not exactly how I thought the game would go today with the two starting pitchers but I'll take the W! The comeback has started St. Louis, watch out!

Kazmir and Peterson were the crown jewels of the Mets farm system, aside from David Wright. I am utterly devastated by this.

Here are the full details of the trade:

METS GET:
Victor ZAMBRANO (from the Devil Rays)
Bartolome FORTUNATO (from the Devil Rays)
Kris BENSON (from the Pirates)
Jeff KEPPINGER (from the Pirates)

METS GIVE UP:
Scott KAZMIR (to the Devil Rays)
Jose DIAZ (to the Devil Rays)
Ty WIGGINTON (to the Pirates)
Matt PETERSON (to the Pirates)

Justin HUBER (to the Royals)
Jose BAUTISTA (from the Royals to the Pirates)

The Royals provided the impetus; Huber was traded to KC for Batista, who was promptly traded to the Pirates.

I think I got that right, I've been trying to piece this together from reports by various NY sports stations.

EDIT: rc213 found an article. :( All that work. Oh well.

Mashing

Benson has dominated the Braves though. ESPN had Benson's stats up against teams in the east and he had like under 3.00 ERA against 3 teams in the east.

She is the silver lining, I suppose. Do we all get a turn?

Paraphrasing Rick Peterson on why the Mets mortgaged their future:

Young pitching won't be ready to step up and win concurrently with the rest of the team. The infield will develop earlier then Kazmir/Peterson.

What a cop out. Seriously. This team flip-flops more than a slinky.

adjust.jpg

http://www.mets.com, bottom-left corner. I may have done some editorializing.

Triumph

Banned
Scoobert said:
Dammit, so the Braves win the division...again?! Sigh.
Hee hee, YER DAMN RIGHT WE WIN THE DIVISION AGAIN. And we'll keep winning it until Larry Bowa is fired in Philly. The Mets? The Mets are a bucket of flaming suck, and the moves they made in the past two days don't change that a damn bit. The Fish just gave up Brad Penny, they're not gonna catch us, and the Expos are- well, they're the Expos.

Mrbob

Raoul Duke said:
Hee hee, YER DAMN RIGHT WE WIN THE DIVISION AGAIN. And we'll keep winning it until Larry Bowa is fired in Philly. The Mets? The Mets are a bucket of flaming suck, and the moves they made in the past two days don't change that a damn bit. The Fish just gave up Brad Penny, they're not gonna catch us, and the Expos are- well, they're the Expos.

Winning the nLEAST is a one way ticket to playing the Cards in the divisional round. Braves should be so lucky.

Triumph

Banned
Dude, OF COURSE the Braves are going to lose in the first round of the playoffs, no matter who they play. They're the BRAVES, after all.

Meier

Fifty said:
Mets fans should be happy! They also get Mrs. Benson.

http://www.annabenson.net/main.html

flash4.jpg

Those are some gorgeous, giant nipples! :eek: And what're you talking about us trading for Charles Johnson, Scoobert? Are you living in the past? @_@ Getting Choi allows us to move Greenie back to the outfield also which makes me see even less of a reason to trade for Finley..

rc213

ESPN is reporting that the Dodgers acquired Charles Johnson from the Rockies but it wasnt mentioned who was sent to Colorado.

Mrbob

I just want the trade deadline to pass by.

I'm worried I'm going to see the headline:

'Matt Clement trading to the Boston Redsox for Nomar Garciapara'.

Scoobert

And what're you talking about us trading for Charles Johnson, Scoobert? Are you living in the past? @_@ Getting Choi allows us to move Greenie back to the outfield also which makes me see even less of a reason to trade for Finley..

Maybe you should live in the past. :p Charles Johnson was traded to the Dodgers before the whole Penny and Choi trade happened. Their's not a lot of news about it because its, well....CJ lol.

Beckett looks great tonight too. Wheres my rolleyes smilie when I need it? Arg! The man hasn't pitched in 2 months and the Marlins go and trade Penny? And no starting pitcher? WTH!

It's probably just me but the Marlins look dead today. It's like they don't want to be there. Also, Penny and Choi are in the dugout sitting next to each other. I'm sure Penny is happy though, he just because the Dodger's Ace.

Meier

Scoobert said:
Maybe you should live in the past. :p Charles Johnson was traded to the Dodgers before the whole Penny and Choi trade happened. Their's not a lot of news about it because its, well....CJ lol..

It's just that NO news source has anything on this at all so I was jokingly referring to CJ's shitty half year or so in LA years ago.

Joe

scott kazmir for victor zambrano has the makings to be one of the worst trades in recent history. mets are gonna get KILLED in the papers and talk radio for this.

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?
What a sad day for dodger fans. Lo Duca was the heart of the Dodgers!!!

Scoobert

I thought Mota was?

I still don't know if the LA/Marlins trade is good. I would love to know what they did about salaries though. The Marlins are always going for cheap players, but they went for some high priced ones? Makes you wonder if the new stadium for the Marlins has hit a snag and the Marlins are just trying to go all out to prove they need a new stadium. I really don't know.

I do hope the Marlins get a SP though. I they get a decent SP then I'll be alright with the trade. As of right now, it would be a guaranteed loss every 5th day. 4pm saturday can't come soon enough. Trade deadlines really suck, lol.

Btw:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1846812

Agree or disagree with the whole article?

Uh...

"Kazmir was the Mets' first-round pick in the 2002 draft, and was pitching at Double-A Binghamton. He has struck out 259 batters in 203 1-3 innings during his minor league career."

Methinks the Mets confused Victor with Carlos. It makes absolutely no sense.

Besides all of that, I thought the problem at Shea was they weren't hitting the ball. Does't Glavine routinely lose 2-1 or 3-2?

This is just idiotic. Up there with letting Felix Heredia out of the bullpen.

rc213

Poody said:
mota? nah, hes just a setup guy for Gagne

Come on now, he was a little more than just your average Setup man. Dude was pretty much lights out for us.

Vin Scully just mentioned Mota and LoDuca were crying at the beginning of the game. =\....

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!?!??!?!?!??!?!?!????!?!?!

MASB

Meier said:
flash4.jpg

Those are some gorgeous, giant nipples! :eek:
Mets have made the deal of the year! :) ;)

And the Braves win again. I just hope they aren't peaking too soon. And Smoltz is now only 7 saves away from tying Garbner's 141 saves Braves team record. Yay!!!

Poody

Yeah it was emotional to hear Lo Duca's interview and hearing mota and lo duca cry, but mota has been choking for us lately. Whats done is done. I hope we can just land RJ now!

Poody

golem said:
WTF ARE THE DODGERS DOING

Lo duca is 33 for Choi is 25

Mota is 31 for Penny is 26

it was a youth trade. Althought I miss Paulie i think the trade was worth it. Now come to think of it I really dont want RJ & Finnely becuase that would mean we would have to give up Werth, Penny and prospects which is a terrible move.

rc213

Damn Dodgers should've saved some runs for Ishii tommorow! =P

The Dodgers also have a deal to re-acquire Colorado catcher Charles Johnson to replace Lo Duca behind the plate, but Johnson first must waive a no-trade clause. Johnson was obtained by the Dodgers in 1998 in the Mike Piazza trade. The Dodgers would send a prospect to Colorado.

"I've still got to approve it," Johnson told MLB.com. "I haven't told them what I'm going to do yet. I'm still in the process of thinking about it, really."

And DePodesta is reported to have deals in place to obtain Arizona pitcher and four-time Cy Young winner Randy Johnson and outfielder Steve Finley by sending the Diamondbacks Penny, outfielder Jayson Werth, pitcher Edwin Jackson and minor leaguers. Finley already has waived his no-trade clause for a trade to Los Angeles, Randy Johnson has not.

The Dodgers would not confirm the potential Arizona deal. The Diamondbacks declined to comment on any talks with Los Angeles.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/n...730&content_id=814270&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp

Seriously WTF!!! sending the Diamondbacks Penny, outfielder Jayson Werth, pitcher Edwin Jackson and minor leaguers. HELL F*CKING NO! This sh*t isnt even funny! F*ck getting Randy Johnson if its going to cost us all that! F*CK HIM!!!!!!!!!!

Meier

EDWIN JACKSON AND MINOR LEAUGERS TOO? FUCK THAT! We gave up good prospects for Shuey and that motherfucker sucked for us last year and now is probably done. DePodesta is making the same mistakes as our GM's made in the mid 90s.. trading all of our young talent away. This is a BAD FUCKING MOVE.

Mrbob

Meier said:
EDWIN JACKSON AND MINOR LEAUGERS TOO? FUCK THAT! We gave up good prospects for Shuey and that motherfucker sucked for us last year and now is probably done. DePodesta is making the same mistakes as our GM's made in the mid 90s.. trading all of our young talent away. This is a BAD FUCKING MOVE.

Well, why the hell is the GM even messing with the Dodgers chemistry? The team is 20-5 in July. He just screwed it all up.

Scoobert

The whole thing with Charles Johnson is a mess. He still hasn't even said yes or no. Either way, CJ going to LA might be a good thing for the Marlins. :)

If CJ goes to LA and the Rockies have LA take on his salary, the Rockies are willing to eat up some of Walkers salary so he can be traded to the Marlins. But then Walker has his no trade clause also.

7 more hours until deadline! Should be very interesting.

Jim Duquette should be fired for the Scott Kazmir deal, and Fred Wilpon should be forcibly stripped of the team for allowing it to go through.

Scoobert

Supposedly Walker to the Marlins is real close. Marlins get Walker, while Rockies get Encarnacion, and a minor league hitter, maybe Abe Nunez also.

A lot of it though all depends if CJ accepts the trade to LA.

2 more hours!

Poody

YES!!!!!! Arizona is reluctant to rade the big unit to the dodgers espn reports. Ok this just made my day. When can we starting seeing penny and choi play?

rc213

They are probably asking for too many prospects!!! And plz leave Steve Finley be and keep Werth!

EDIT: Looks like the Steve Finley trades might go down, what a disappointment! WHY! We dont need him!

Poody

Steven finely would ruin our chemistry. Why fix it if it ain't broke. Bradley is doing an awesome job at center field. That catch yesterday should be an indication of that. And Werth is the real deal

I dont think Depo will get finley. I would he very shocked if he did. The media is just hyping the last minute trade deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom