• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Callisto Protocol |OT| Galaxy of Terror

tommib

OUTau8Z.jpg

Survive to Escape the horrors of Callisto.​

In this narrative-driven, third-person survival horror game set 300 years in the future, the player will take on the role of Jacob Lee – a victim of fate thrown into Black Iron Prison, a maximum-security penitentiary located on Jupiter's moon, Callisto. When inmates begin to transform into monstrous creatures, the prison is thrown into chaos. To survive, Jacob must battle his way to safety to escape Black Iron Prison, while uncovering the dark and disturbing secrets buried beneath the surface of Callisto. Using a unique blend of shooting and close-quarters combat, Jacob will need to adapt his tactics to combat the rapidly evolving creatures while scavenging to unlock new weapons, gear, and abilities to outrun the growing threat and escape the horrors of Jupiter's Dead Moon.

bEm7y7q.jpg

The Callisto Protocol is a next-generation take on survival horror from the mind of Glen Schofield. Blending atmosphere, tension, and brutality with terrifying moments of helplessness and humanity, The Callisto Protocol immerses players in a pulse-pounding story where unspeakable horrors lurk around every corner.

O557Se0.jpg

The Callisto Protocol challenges players to master a thrilling blend of melee and ranged combat, including a unique gravity weapon once used by Black Iron guards to control the prison population. Players will be forced to get up close and personal with their grotesque opponents, hacking off limbs, blasting off legs, and getting creative with whatever is at their disposal to survive each life-or-death encounter.

OOfuQKR.jpg

• UNCOVER THE SECRETS OF THE UNITED JUPITER COMPANY​

Set on Jupiter’s dead moon Callisto in the year 2320, The Callisto Protocol casts players as Jacob Lee, an inmate in Black Iron Prison. When a mysterious outbreak throws the moon into chaos, Jacob must face his darkest fears to defeat the bloodthirsty creatures that stalk him as he unravels the dark mysteries at the heart of the powerful United Jupiter Company.
  • EXPERIENCE THE ISOLATION OF JUPITERS’ DEAD MOON​

One of the most hostile, isolated environments in the universe, Callisto looms large over Jacob’s desperate struggle to survive. Players must not only contend with the horrors of Black Iron Prison, but also the centuries-old secrets that plague Jupiter’s long-dead moon, both above and below the surface.

zExP7aw.jpg

GKoCXQ3.jpg

Official Website

Sci-Fi Horror GIF by The Callisto Protocol
200.gif
200.gif
200.gif

Last edited:

Arun1910

Really hoping this is good and worth the money as the concept and atmosphere is right up my street.

However, like a sane person, I will wait until reviews drop tomorrow before parting with my money.

anthony2690

Banned
Hopefully it is decent, as I have ordered this as a gift for a good friend :)

I'm more surprised with the amount of people getting the game early, we haven't heard any one give their impressions online about what they like or don't like etc.

But we have a couple full playthroughs already.

Last edited:

GymWolf

This will be my CINEMATIC EXPERIENCE fix for the month of December! I just hope it runs well on the Deck.
Jesus why wasting a game with great production values on an oversized tablet?

I will never understand people who play anything more than indie and nintendo games on a fucking portable (and i personally prefer to play indies on my oled aswell)

Worse performances, worse audio, worse graphic, worse controller, small ass screen, limited battery life...but hey at least you can play directly in the toilete in the case the game is too scary...

Fuck me.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

I will never understand people who play anything more than indie and nintendo games on a fucking portable (and i personally prefer to play indies on my oled aswell)

Worse performances, worse audio, worse graphic, worse controller, small ass screen, limited battery life...but hey at least you can play directly in the toilete in the case the game is too scary...

Fuck me.

It took you multiple edits to come up with this diarrhoea of a post?

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
The truth hurts, i understand.

The only truth here is that you're pitiful. Very sad.

I'm sure people have their motivations to play on portable but nothing of what i said is less than 100% true, except maybe the controller because you can use a wireless one of your choice.

What are you on about? Steam Deck is a controller. It's a portable PC. That's the beauty of it. I can buy the game once and play it on my PC with 4090 and if I want to take it on the go, I can play the same game on Steam Deck. It's December. People will be traveling. Why is is so hard for you to understand?

Have you finished editing your "post" yet? If yes, then please let me know why are you so bitter lately?

dEvAnGeL

Fuck me.
What a shit post, at least you got the final sentence right. F U

GymWolf

The only truth here is that you're pitiful. Very sad.

What are you on about? Steam Deck is a controller. It's a portable PC. That's the beauty of it. I can buy the game once and play it on my PC with 4090 and if I want to take it on the go, I can play the same game on Steam Deck. It's December. People will be traveling. Why is is so hard for you to understand?

Have you finished editing your "post" yet? If yes, then please let me know why are you so bitter lately?
Holy shit, why so serious? mine was an half-joking post, not sure why you are having such a reaction...do you think i really give a single fuck where you play your games? it is just strange to me playing such a big game on the deck for the reasons i explained.

I edit my posts because i'm not an native english speaker so i make a lot of errors or forget things.

You and me usually have a good relation in here, even when we have different views like for the rtx thing, not sure why you thought i was angry with you or whatever.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Wouldn’t it be better to play such a game on the big screen first.To get all the bombastic effects sounds and everything.
That’s probably how I’ll play mostly but sometimes it’s nice to just throw on some headphones and play in bed, which is on the opposite side of the house from my RTX4080 desktop and 65” OLED. Options are nice and Steam’s cloud save system makes picking up where you left off super seamless. Also, with kids and working from home and shit, I don’t always want to go through the trouble of getting myself all setup on the couch only to be interrupted with no way to turn it off and back on quickly. Steam Deck’s sleep/suspend feature works very well for just pausing and picking it back up without leaving everything running.

Options are nice. Steam Deck runs games great and has a great controller. GymWolf GymWolf ’s weird rant is wrong and bad and he should feel bad.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
bombastic effects sounds

Headphones?

Wouldn’t it be better to play such an game on the big screen first.

I actually prefer to play certain genres on a handheld now. Things like RPGs and survival horror work super great and feel very immersive. If performance is shit I'll switch to my 4090 and 65 inch OLED in a heartbeat. Plus I won't be home for most of December so that's that.

Great OT, looking forward to eventually picking it up, way too wrapped up with Tactics Ogre atm and Crysis Core remake coming soon, everyone enjoy.

winjer

Gold Member
From another forum. If true, this is really bad.
I'm starting to think this might become one of the worst games of the year.
So much for the first AAAA game....

And a warning... if you don't like instadeaths, from a bigger enemies that grab you from behind for example, then this game is not for you. It's riddled with cheap instas.

GymWolf

Depends on what he consider cheap insta-death, some people think that enemies hiding and doing an ambush from blind spots in souls games are cheap, but you just need to play carefully to avoid them.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Waiting for reviews and some technical videos on how good the Performance mode is on the new consoles.

Excellent OP !

I actually like this mechanic.I like horror games the more difficult the better.I got the platinum trophy for Dead Space 2 back In the day and there you were allowed to only die 1 time else whole game is gone.I also play games like Diablo and path of Exile only in hardcore mode that means 1 death and 100s of hours time and everything is gone.That way you are forced to be way more careful and invest take your time think Plan it’s way more fun that way.So for a horror game this mechanic fits perfectly I like it.

winjer

Gold Member
I actually like this mechanic.I like horror games the more difficult the better.I got the platinum trophy for Dead Space 2 back In the day and there you were allowed to only die 1 time else whole game is gone.I also play games like Diablo and path of Exile only in hardcore mode that means 1 death and 100s of hours time and everything is gone.That way you are forced to be way more careful and invest take your time think Plan it’s way more fun that way.So for a horror game this mechanic fits perfectly I like it.

Difficulty can create intense moments of gameplay.
But cheap one hit deaths, is not intense or fun.

I'm getting more and more excited by the minute. There are just not enough sci-fi themed horror games in the world to fill my needs.

I can feel that i will enjoy this to a great extent.

182180.gif

What in the hell is this and where is it from?

Last edited:

Hugare

Difficulty can create intense moments of gameplay.
But cheap one hit deaths, is not intense or fun.
If this game had a permadeath mode, than I would be furious

But I actually like this. Because it keeps you on your toes.

I want to feel like I get more powerful during the campaign, sure, but I dont want to feel like I'm in control.

Like in RE 2 or 3. Nemesis and Mr X are a joke. You can easily go around them or simply "kill" them if you want to.

Maybe that's why Alien Isolation is my favorite horror game ever. The xenomorph is one hit kill during the whole game.

Sure, they've cheapened it a bit by introducing the flamethrower, but otherwise casuals wouldnt finish the game.

Knowing that an enemy may kill you at any moment is not intense?? I can't agree with that

Last edited:

Ristifer

Honestly can't wait for this game, but I asked for it from my wife for Christmas, so I'll be waiting a little longer. Will be good to play over the holidays, I'm sure.

I'm not sure about the combat but it could just be poor players so far but I have it downloaded as I got it 'free' as I had some Xbox credit expiring (I do understand opportunity cost).

Dead Space 1 and 2 and up there in my favorite games of all time so if it's even in the same ballpark I'm sure I'll have good time.

Freeman76

game looks pretty good, not sure if its worth the day one price though might pick it up in a sale unless there is something truly unique about it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom