• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2011/2012 Off-Season Thread |OT| The Year of the Red Bull

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can wait, then ya why not! that would be smart

I can't wait for the next season and Kimi's return have made things harder.. I've just watched the 2007 season review for the millionth time

Juicy Bob

Like I've said before, I really hope that the Kimi who's returning is the awesome, overachieving 2001-2006-era Kimi and not the Ferrari-era selfish, miserable, douchey Kimi. I'm not blaming Ferrari, but he just seemed to become a different person during that chapter of his career and I didn't like it. He deserved his title for his mid-2000s form alone, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG86XK6VF3Q

All hail raikkonen

Those v10s sound so nice. I miss real engines :(

omg. that brings back some awesome memories I remember screaming like a little girl at that particular moment

It was a year that I wasn't sure if Kimi was my next Mika, I liked him at Sauber, and was so overjoyed when they announced he's filling in for Mika, especially after strong rumors that he's set to move to Ferrari, but after his podium (IIRC) in his first race with McLaren he went on a streak of unfinished races due to reliability. also IIRC people started calling him a car-breaker or something because DC was finishing races and Kimi was breaking cars :p

Thanks for the vid.. thanks a lot :)

EDIT:

jJBsdPDBe8ZNp.png

jQxJYQy9eXvzR.png

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Rumours circulating right now suggest that Red Bull have another rocket on their hands. Newey and co are more than pleased with the RB8 as of right now. Scary.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
The behemoths arrive and mark the coming of a new season of motorsport.

2zwqf.jpg

r4Tk2.jpg

They're not as elegant or as sophisticated as F1 cars, but certainly a lot of fun to drive and watch in that kind of terrain.

Shaneus

Edmond Dantès;33824993 said:
Rumours circulating right now suggest that Red Bull have another rocket on their hands. Newey and co are more than pleased with the RB8 as of right now. Scary.
Fingers crossed that the advantage that people think Vettel had this year with the diffusers (allegedly) over Webber isn't there in some other form on this car. Hopefully.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Yeah, apparently computer flew out of top window of certain house in Maranello

Fingers crossed that the advantage that people think Vettel had this year with the diffusers (allegedly) over Webber isn't there in some other form on this car. Hopefully.

I think Webber has lost a little feel at the rear (!), but I think his biggest issue is the KERS energy recovery phase during braking. Webber used to be widely know as one of the very best brakers in the field but he has lost some of his advantage as seen on all the stop start modern circuits.

Ferrari and McLaren better get their shit together or next season is going to be as boring as last season.

I'm not really worried about McLaren, they had a good package at the end of the season. Ferrari on the other hand was embarrassing to watch.

I'm not really worried about McLaren, they had a good package at the end of the season. Ferrari on the other hand was embarrassing to watch.

That's the problem with McLaren though in recent years, though they tend to have a good rate of development throughout the year, they always manage to cock it up somehow over the winter and start on the back foot.

Newey is saying they can improve on their package. We all know that this guy never BS

Ferrari and McLaren better get their shit together or next season is going to be as boring as last season.

I agree. I would add Mercedes to the mix.. I wish Renault oops.. Lotus can be up there as well, but I have to be realistic

red bull better step up their update game, mclaren has been far better than them

Better? how? Since 2009 they seem to be a good team to develop their car throughout the season, I agree. But what's the use if they always lack performance consistency that costs them dearly

DrM

Redmond's Baby
That's the problem with McLaren though in recent years, though they tend to have a good rate of development throughout the year, they always manage to cock it up somehow over the winter and start on the back foot.
yeah and rumors suggest that they are doing something radical again...

Where are you guys getting these "rumors?"

re-tweeted by scrabsf1:

Heard rumours the Mp4-27 will use sidepod intakes close to cockpit like fighter jet, and use "wings" to cover crash structure. Legal?

f1 technical:

"rumour has it that they will be radical next year no sidepods as such but the rad ducts on the side of the tub like a jump jet looking head on then wings covering the side impact structures"

"just for clarity the side impact structure are basicaly carbon tubes and only have strength in 1 direction"

"rumour is from 1 of their windtunnel guys apparantly although i got it 2nd hand so cant be too sure if its just a trial part or actual design but i hope its used as the test results are supposed to be really good"

mcLaren employee at autosport forums:

The new tub is..... Different.

the fighter jet will fail against newey's rocket ship :(

Ark

McLaren being radical makes me happy, they're pushing and possibly expanding the stupidly strict technical regs each yeah.

One year it'll pay off, and with any luck that year will be 2012.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I have my inside source @ Mclaren, my former roomate, mechanical engineer, who went to England for better life.

I wish that i could follow him abroad, 'cause my field of work is in deep crisis

McLaren being radical makes me happy, they're pushing and possibly expanding the stupidly strict technical regs each yeah.

One year it'll pay off, and with any luck that year will be 2012.

It's still a bit surprising. IIRC one of the engineers admitted in a post-race interview that their radical approaches weren't as successful as they hoped and they'd work on a design that would be a bit more "safe", kinda like Newey's designs.

I have my inside source @ Mclaren, my roomate, mechanical engineer, who went to England for better life.

Tell Lewis he needs to get his shit together.

ANDY_098

It's still a bit surprising. IIRC one of the engineers admitted in a post-race interview that their radical approaches weren't as successful as they hoped and they'd work on a design that would be a bit more "safe", kinda like Newey's designs.

Tell Lewis he needs to get his shit together.

McLaren need to go radical, the problem is last year they spent so long trying to get various extreme exhausts last more than a hand full of laps in pre-season they had no time to develop a new 'simple' exhaust which is actually any good.

Going with a safe design will not work because Red Bull have been able to refine their design over the last two seasons so any other new design will never be as good, so they have to try something radical to give them the edge they need.

Ark

Going with a safe design will not work because Red Bull have been able to refine their design over the last two seasons so any other new design will never be as good, so they have to try something radical to give them the edge they need.

This, coupled with the new technical changes in 2013/2014 means their only real hope of getting any more titles lies with a radical design.

ANDY_098

This, coupled with the new technical changes in 2013/2014 means their only real hope of getting any more titles lies with a radical design.

Even the technical regs (in 2014) are unlikely to shake up the field too much as the new regs are based around the current set i.e. no Venturi tunnels. The grid will remain the same basic order with the teams with the most resources at the top followed the by the midfield teams and HRT bringing up the rear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom