• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2011/2012 Off-Season Thread |OT| The Year of the Red Bull

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanspeed

Banned
The questions are pretty hard.

You'd have to have some incredible memory to do well on the quiz without looking anything up. Like this:

5. GP2: Where in the 2011 GP2 standings did eventual runner-up Luca Filippi sit when he switched from Super Nova to Coloni?

You'd have to be a diehard Luca Filippi fan to know this one, not to mention a pretty hardcore GP2 fan because I sure as hell couldn't even tell you where Button was in the F1 standings 8 races in to the season.

Snatched from PF-1

http://translate.google.fi/translate?sl=it&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=fi&ie=UTF-8& ;layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fblog.quotidiano.net%2Fturrini%2F

By Leo Turrini

The good wishes (and doubts) of Domenicali

December 23, 2011

Sometimes you get pleasantly surprised.

In short, the other night both Dom (Domenicali) and Cola (Colajanni) came to ask what the hell had happened to the Clog (Blog).

Since frankly I do not know and do not understand I explained to both of them that it was a healthy process of detoxification.

After that.

After that Stefano Domenicali sent me a message in the bottle, which I entrust to the raging sea of ​​the Web, along with best wishes.

Here you go.

'Dear Leo, we have perhaps learned the lesson. Thus, the new car should not be in imbalance. We have completely changed our approach to the design phase, philosophically I might say. But the clock looks at the results on tracks. Twelve months ago we thought we were ahead, but you know how things went ... '

'... The criticisms that have been made for 2011 are sacrosanct. We hadn't made the car the way we wanted to. It was great to win at Silverstone, sixty years since Ferrari's first success in F1. And maybe with a bit more luck we could have been able to win a couple more races. But the budget however is negative ... '

'... Unless what? Alonso, surely. And although many do not want to believe, I assure you that we have improved in terms of management, in terms of strategies. We won almost nothing but often we climbed on the podium just because we have gone along with good efforts from Fernando in the pits. It can and must be a point of restart, as football coaches say ... '

'... Kubica? You should be very serious. Today at Christmas not even Robert knows how his recovery evolves. We root for him, but we put his health first, his integrity as a man. That's why we have never suggested putting him to a F1 test. Ever since late spring Kubica has not been certain. Humanly speaking I hope to see him back on the race tracks as leader. He is a friend, he is a champion ...'

'... of course I have spoken with Kimi. I've already told you before that the relationship with Raikkonen was and has remained excellent. What did he say to me? That he is happy and convinced he made the right choice for himself. Will he be competitive? I have no doubt about that he can take the extra out of the car. Schumacher is back and he hasn't forgotten how to drive, he has never been on the podium in two seasons and it's not because of him... '

... The concept of Massa is very well known. We had a disappointing year, in every sense. We have not decided anything in advance, the president said that we are looking around and it's true, I guess Felipe is also doing the same, but if he is committed to drive fast, like when he was the companion of Schumi and Kimi, why should we change it ?...'

'... Finally, I do not feel anxious, I'm not a manager on the verge of a nervous breakdown. I love what I do, but exclude the possibility that my destiny depends upon the car. Once I told you that I'm not going to grow old in the paddock and I say that again. Afraid of being fired? Well, there is no Article 18 in F1... '

'Finally, Merry Christmas to your cloggari (bloggers), even to those not cheering for Ferrari. In fact, why did you stop?...'

Ah, I know!

They've only had about 100 drivers, haven't they? Top 50 seems a bit silly.

They want to please all the fans..

well, they've outraged Kimi's that's for sure.. Someone who could've been a double WDC with them if not for the unreliable engine/car is ranked 15? Let's see where Lewis' fair.. and I didn't see Button, so he's ranked higher than Kimi already?!

That would be silly, with all respect to the mentioned drivers, who are great, but I still believe Kimi have done more

Another article from this guy |(again taken from PF-1)

Ferrari's Xmas party

http://translate.google.fi/translate?sl=it&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=fi&ie=UTF-8& ;amp ;layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fblog.quotidiano.net%2Fturrini%2F

By Leo Turrini

Kimi and Ferrari North Korea

December 22, 2011

Boh.

Ferrari's Christmas.

The atmosphere at the dinner reminded vaguely of North Korea's Dear Leader, understood as LCDM, Luca Cordero di Montezemolo.

A videos of celebrations were shown, not by Santa Claus but by Montezemolo who has been 20 years in Maranello.

A parade of all Ferrari drivers in F1 from 1992 to 2011.

Schumacher? There he is.

Larini. There he is.

Salo? There he is.

Irvine? There he is, on a remote beach.

Montezemelo saluted, thanked and paid a tribute to each of these on the video.

Yet one is missing.

Two in fact.

Accidentally and fortuitously missing were the two Ferrari drivers who finished first and last on Sunday at Spa in 2009.

Does someone of you remember the names from the Damnation Memoriae?

Ark

They want to please all the fans..

well, they've outraged Kimi's that's for sure.. Someone who could've been a double WDC with them if not for the unreliable engine/car is ranked 15? Let's see where Lewis' fair.. and I didn't see Button, so he's ranked higher than Kimi already?!

That would be silly, with all respect to the mentioned drivers, who are great, but I still believe Kimi have done more

In the world of F1, 'could have been' holds absolutely zero weight.

McLaren stated that any active or recently active driver's won't be including on that list, so Kimi is the most recent driver on the list.

1. Ayrton Senna 35 wins (3xWDC)
2. Alain Prost 30 wins (3xWDC)
3. Mika Hakkinen 20 wins (2xWDC)
4. Lewis Hamilton 17 wins (1xWDC)
5. James Hunt 9 wins (1WDC)
6. Niki Lauda 8 wins (1xWDC)
7. Emerson Fitipaldi 5 wins (1xWDC)
7. David Coulthard 12 wins
8. Kimi Raikkonen 9 wins

That's just McLarens' Formula 1 drivers, obviously not including Can-am or the likes. The list covers all McLaren drivers of any series for their contribution to McLaren.

Shaneus

That video is really, really good. Apart from the audio skip around a third through, it's easily up to BBC standards. Bet it shits all over any of Sky's future efforts!

Shaneus

There was more Webber in it than I expected (and more than a lot of the other drivers) but maybe it's that thing where you only see it because it's what you concentrate on.

Good. Hopefully it's because of the popularity (or domination or whatever) of Vettel and not just because Bernie needs another revenue stream.

Hopefully it has the production values of the Beeb as it doesn't look like it's produced by them. Better have a shitload of content, too.

I don't think its because of that unfortunately. And the proof is that its not even released in the US yet (the season review). Usually it gets released at the same time

Lucius86

Banned
I don't think Raikonnen has a single championship in him. I doubt he will get another oppurtunity like he did for Ferrari.

Ark

I still think people rate Kimi far higher than he deserves at the moment. He wont get anywhere unless Renault Lotus build a decent car for the first time since 2006.

Sure he's a great driver, but Mika was the better Fin.

ANDY_098

I still think people rate Kimi far higher than he deserves at the moment. He wont get anywhere unless Renault Lotus build a decent car for the first time since 2006.

Grosjean will outscore Kimi next season.

Xun

Agreed.

I don't think Raikonnen has a single championship in him. I doubt he will get another oppurtunity like he did for Ferrari.

The harsh truth.. I don't see Renault giving him a car that's capable of that. But, if they miraculously did it, he's the man to deliver

I still think people rate Kimi far higher than he deserves at the moment.#1 He wont get anywhere unless Renault Lotus build a decent car for the first time since 2006.

Sure he's a great driver#2, but Mika was the better Fin.#3

#1 - Holds breath

#2 - Exhales calmly

#3 - Cannot.Compute

IubwwRpMCX_oh-no-you-diint.jpg

Ok, feels like

Seanspeed

Banned

Its possible. We have no idea how Kimi is gonna do after being out of the sport for 2 years. Kimi doesn't know, either.

I think Grosjean is gonna surprise some people after a full winter of testing preparation and Kimi cant afford to struggle if he wants to avoid getting shown up.

Lucius86

Banned
Its possible. We have no idea how Kimi is gonna do after being out of the sport for 2 years. Kimi doesn't know, either.

I think Grosjean is gonna surprise some people after a full winter of testing preparation and Kimi cant afford to struggle if he wants to avoid getting shown up.

I'm tempted to put a bet on with Grosjean scoring more points than Kimi next year.

Take that Raikonnen lovers!

So you're one of those "OMG KIMI IS BACK, THIS WILL CHANGE EVERYTHING!" zombies and we're one of the few reasonable people who doubt that? Seems about right.

SPOT ON!!.. seriously though, I'm a huge Mikka fan, then Kimi those two were the reason I started/kept-watching F1 in the 2 years that Kimi has left the sport I was left looking for a reason and now he's back.. so yeah, I'm super happy :)

Reality is that he's probably going to drive around 10th place for the whole season with Lotus.

Unfortunately this might very much be the case. I don't even think he could be a regular points scorer. We have Redbull, McLaren, Ferrari, Mercedes who will almost certainly be faster. That's 8 cars, and let's not forget FI who have had a good car for the year. Lotus will be starting their car from scratch.

Kimi is a fantastic driver but he can't do miracles, except for Suzuka 2005, and Spa 2009 and his WDC in 2007 :p

Personally I don't think its possible..

I'm tempted to put a bet on with Grosjean scoring more points than Kimi next year.

Take that Raikonnen lovers!

I'll take your money.. $50? end of season if both drivers competed till the end of the season we settle?

I have a Paypal account.. or you know what would be more interesting? the loser buys the winner the season review Bluray

Oh the meltdown in here if that happens

I'll meltdown lol

I bet Massa will get more points than Kimi next season!

No, that's taking it too far.

That's so funny lol .. but still I think Massa will outscore Kimi. I have a feeling that next year's Ferrari is going to be a badass

Chris R

I'd love to see someone mock up covers like this for next season! Love that style!

edit: And Kimi did pretty well in NASCAR for it being his first time out. I mean Piquet Jr. still hasn't won a race in the same series (but probably will next season, he was damn close a bunch of times this year) and was inferior to Kimi in F1.

Not saying that will have any impact on his performance this year ;p

Ark

Ok, lets put this into perspective:

Grosjean;
- Drove for Renault in 2009
- Has been their reserve for a while now
- Won the GP2 championship last year with little to no effort at all
- He's French

Kimi;
- Was mediocre at best in WRC
- Couldn't figure out how to drive a NASCAR
- Tested Peugeot LMP1
- Realised he couldn't drive anything other than an F1 car and signed up with Renault after already shooting down Boullier earlier on in the year/last year after Renault said they'd been in talks.

I'm just playing the devil's advocate. Kimi was without a doubt one of my 'favourite' drivers once Mika left the sport and DC left McLaren. I still think going to Ferrari was a silly move, however.

EDIT: To be honest, Kimi is more or less just a last-ditch replacement for Kubica.

SPOT ON!!.. seriously though, I'm a huge Mikka fan, then Kimi those two were the reason I started/kept-watching F1 in the 2 years that Kimi has left the sport I was left looking for a reason and now he's back.. so yeah, I'm super happy :)

Guess who we heard almost this exact statement from last year? :lol

I always dislike when people say they watch the sport because of driver x/y/z, because then they become rampant fanboys. Watch the sport because you love the sport, not because you love winning driver X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom