• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2011/2012 Off-Season Thread |OT| The Year of the Red Bull

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess who we heard almost this exact statement from last year? :lol

I always dislike when people say they watch the sport because of driver x/y/z, because then they become rampant fanboys. Watch the sport because you love the sport, not because you love winning driver X.

who?

Ok, I came to love F1 because of Mikka, I actually started watching F1 in 1996 after I accidentally switched to a channel that was airing the race live and there was "schumacher"'s onboard! I was like, that's the schumacher that everyone is talking about? mind you I didn't even know who Senna was and nothing else about the sport except for Schumacher

So when I started following the sport more closely I was rooting purely against schumacher, I'm more of an underdog supporter, was happy for JV and Hill but never liked Williams, McLaren and Mika on the other hand were "cool" to support or I thought they were, and I was right :p ..

I'm not a huge fan of motor-sports at all, it's only F1 that I follow..

Also, I didn't say I stopped watching in the last two years, but I felt like I'm lost, I didn't have a certain driver to support. I like McLaren though :)

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Getting away from the Kimi debate.

Does anyone expect Jenson to match or beat Lewis for a second season in a row? I think Lewis will triumph and regain the scintillating form he showed pre-2010. He'll deal with his hamartia and come back stronger than ever. Jenson, as much as I respect him has greatly benefited from Lewis' lack of form this season. Both of them at their best means only one result; Lewis triumphing.

Lucius86

Banned
I'll take your money.. $50? end of season if both drivers competed till the end of the season we settle?

I have a Paypal account.. or you know what would be more interesting? the loser buys the winner the season review Bluray

$?? What is this peasant money....

I could go with the blu-ray review. I'm already in the red with bets here on Gaf, might as well continue to be wrong and leak my hard-earned moneys...

Shaneus

Edmond Dantès;33782241 said:
Adrian Newey's cars almost always have tight, well packaged rear ends.
8CGtR.jpg

Ark

Edmond Dantès;33784043 said:
Does anyone expect Jenson to match or beat Lewis for a second season in a row? I think Lewis will triumph and regain the scintillating form he showed pre-2010. He'll deal with his hamartia and come back stronger than ever. Jenson, as much as I respect him has greatly benefited from Lewis' lack of form this season. Both of them at their best means only one result; Lewis triumphing.

Lewis is at least on-par with Vettel, if not better, if we judge them by the best we've seen them at during their time in F1. Though we've yet to see them with equipment that is on-par with the other's.

If Hamilton get's his shit together, the only people I can see matching him are Vettel and Alonso.

Makes me sound like a giant Hamilton fanboy, but hey.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Lewis is at least on-par with Vettel, if not better, if we judge them by the best we've seen them at during their time in F1. Though we've yet to see them with equipment that is on-par with the other's.

If Hamilton get's his shit together, the only people I can see matching him are Vettel and Alonso.

Makes me sound like a giant Hamilton fanboy, but hey.
You sound anything but a fanboy as you're absolutely correct. The three you mentioned are top drivers in F1, with Button ever so slightly behind.

Edmond Dantès;33784043 said:
Getting away from the Kimi debate.

I think 2011 was a hiccup in Lewis' career. He will most definitely beat Button next season, no disrespect to Button, his consistency paid off this year, but I don't think consistency by itself is enough

$?? What is this peasant money....

I could go with the blu-ray review. I'm already in the red with bets here on Gaf, might as well continue to be wrong and leak my hard-earned moneys...

So are we on?

Button will remain top dog at McLaren. I'm just praying the car matches the Redbull from the off so we can have a season long battle between Button and Vettel.

Lucius86

Banned
Guess it depends on how Hamilton handles lady issues!

Women.

What 2011 proved to me was that I like Button infinitely more than Hamilton (I was on the fence before), even though I think Lewis, on his daym has more raw pace then Button.

And we are on MJ, it will be amusing throughout the whole season seeing bitter tears from one of us.

Women.

What 2011 proved to me was that I like Button infinitely more than Hamilton (I was on the fence before), even though I think Lewis, on his daym has more raw pace then Button.

And we are on MJ, it will be amusing throughout the whole season seeing bitter tears from one of us.

Cool.. I love your spirit.. It's gonna be fun :)

Dead Man

Women.

Yeah, that's my feeling. I like Button more, I think Ham is faster on his good days, but Button has fewer bad days.

Ark

Hamilton has had far more bad weekends this decade than last, in the latter half of 2009 for example, when the McLaren was up to pace he scored the most points during that half of the season and in 2007 & 2008 he was very consistent, you can count the amount of poor weekends he had on one hand over those two years.

People make a far bigger deal out of Hamilton's 'risky' driving just like they do of Buttons' supposed 'super smooth' driving style. Sure Hamilton isn't afraid to take a gamble, and Button sure does have a smooth driving style. But people buy into the media hype too much and overplay them both. Just like the ride-height and flexi-wing shenanigans of last year.

If I had to chose between Button and Hamilton, I'd pick Hamilton every time. Button is fun to watch when he's on the ball (Japan for example), but I find Hamilton is far more enjoyable to watch when he's on the ball because of his demeanour when things go well/bad. I.e. before Monaco earlier this year the man was beaming, and after China & Germany too. Whereas Button, Vettel, Alonso and Webber are all pretty much behave the same regardless of what happens. Another example, Turkey podium last year.

Dead Man

Hamilton has had far more bad weekends this decade than last, in the latter half of 2009 for example, when the McLaren was up to pace he scored the most points during that half of the season and in 2007 & 2008 he was very consistent, you can count the amount of poor weekends he had on one hand over those two years.

People make a far bigger deal out of Hamilton's 'risky' driving just like they do of Buttons' supposed 'super smooth' driving style. Sure Hamilton isn't afraid to take a gamble, and Button sure does have a smooth driving style. But people buy into the media hype too much and overplay them both. Just like the ride-height and flexi-wing shenanigans of last year.
I think that just shows that Hamilton is better when his car is fast and he doesn't feel like he has to take so many risks. Button is better in a slightly slower car as he takes less risks.

Ark

I think that just shows that Hamilton is better when his car is fast and he doesn't feel like he has to take so many risks. Button is better in a slightly slower car as he takes less risks.

The luxury of having a faster car is that you don't need to take as many risks to be fast. Hamilton is one of the few drivers on the grid who can place a car much higher than it deserves, which is only possible when you take necessary risks. Vettel and Alonso also do the same (the holy trinity in F1 as far as I'm concerned).

If we are to truly compare Hamilton and Button, we can't. We have yet to see them in equipment that satisfies both drivers (rules out 2010) and for both drivers to be on the ball (rules out 2011 with Hamilton's issues).

Last year for example, McLaren and Ferrari were much closer to RBR than they were this year, and Vettel had to take risks to be as quick as he needed to be, and thus he made far more mistakes than he did this year.

And Alonso just doesn't make mistakes. Ever.

EDIT:

If I had to find a comparison, the only one that springs to mind for me is Turkey. IIRC it's the only race where Button and Hamilton have generally been equal in terms of pace and such. In 2010 and 2011, Hamilton came out on top.

Omiee

Omiee (love you really) who went on to be F1-GAF's only Vettel supporter the entire year :p

Lol, i agree that you shouldnt watch the sport just for 1 driver.

but when you do love the sport and keep watching it for almost 20 years its impossible not pick a driver you love or what ever.

for me its been mika than raikonnen and now vettel.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White

but when you do love the sport and keep watching it for almost 20 years its impossible not pick a driver you love or what ever.

Omiee's back.

Now the off-season thread's complete. :)

Omiee

Have you guys not heard of Webber?

Tsk.

Isn't that the guy who has been playing second fiddle to vettel al year?

Edmond Dantès;33801225 said:
Omiee's back.

Now the off-season thread's complete. :)

iv been trying to ignore this thread because the wait is killing me. I want the season to start already.

most depressing shit is visiting the formula1 website which was a daily routine for me, only to see no new news there =(

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Isn't that the guy who has been playing second fiddle to vettel al year?

iv been trying to ignore this thread because the wait is killing me. I want the season to start already.

most depressing shit is visiting the formula1 website which was a daily routine for me, only to see no new news there =(
Only

W8ooN.png

Left.

Seanspeed

Banned

Time's going pretty quick for me. Its only a little more than a month til the new cars are revealed and testing starts!

Its just a shame there's no A1GP or GP2 Asia during the winter anymore. That always helped get rid of my racing withdraws. For the moment, I've been rewatching a few 2011 races from onboard and some late 90's, early 00's races(damn Schumacher used to be good).

How do y'all get by?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Time's going pretty quick for me. Its only a little more than a month til the new cars are revealed and testing starts!

Its just a shame there's no A1GP or GP2 Asia during the winter anymore. That always helped get rid of my racing withdraws. For the moment, I've been rewatching a few 2011 races from onboard and some late 90's, early 00's races(damn Schumacher used to be good).

How do y'all get by?
Season reviews, archive races, F1 books, and the Dakar Rally gets the juices flowing in January.

Omiee

How do y'all get by?

Dont reming me edmond =(

iv been watching season reviews of 09 and 10. some old races of the 90's and 00's

man that italy crash was scary, im still suprised nobody got hurt.

NBA has been filling the void these past few fays as well

Ark

I can only imagine the chaos that would ensue between you and MJ of Kimi and Vettel were to come together during a race :p

If I had to chose between Button and Hamilton, I'd pick Hamilton every time. Button is fun to watch when he's on the ball (Japan for example), but I find Hamilton is far more enjoyable to watch when he's on the ball because of his demeanour when things go well/bad. I.e. before Monaco earlier this year the man was beaming, and after China & Germany too. Whereas Button, Vettel, Alonso and Webber are all pretty much behave the same regardless of what happens. Another example, Turkey podium last year.

shit! I've watched F1 across 3 decades?! .. damn

<<< Mikka, Kimi, tried Vettel but there's just no passion I've enjoyed hating Alonso more

Edmond Dantès;33801288 said:
Only

W8ooN.png

Left.

I hate you.

I can only imagine the chaos that would ensue between you and MJ of Kimi and Vettel were to come together during a race :p

They're friends they won't do that to each other or to GAF

no matter what happens it would be hamiltons fault.

I LOL'ed

Ark

Why? It's not like he has a four-day pass in the Prost stand right up the top near the end so he can see down the main straight and last corners or anything...

Hardly worth the money when you can sit at home and enjoy the absolutely excellent, award winning state of the art coverage from the glorious overlord that is Sky.

Why give Ecclestone your money, when you can give it to Murdoch instead?

So jelly.

Omiee

Hardly worth the money when you can sit at home and enjoy the absolutely excellent, award winning state of the art coverage from the glorious overlord that is Sky.

Why give Ecclestone your money, when you can give it to Murdoch instead?

So jelly.

Watching the monaco race from a balcony with a great view of mirabeau haute, with friends drinks and food. Not to forget sky streaming on my laptop is free as well =P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom