• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards 2015 Thread: Keighley's Last Supper

Ekai

i'm going to be perfectly honest and make a giant assumption that you're unable to accurately gauge real human emotion. i found Viva's performance subtle, understated and convincing, unlike some of the other candidates (I have not played Life is Strange but by all accounts it's also well written and acted) on the list, which is chiefly why i'm glad she won the category.

"You didn't like Her Story so you lack human emotion". Thanks, I appreciate that. Going to be perfectly honest, if you resort to a personal insult like that over video games of all things, you really need to take a good hard look at yourself and what you just said.

That said, Life is Strange is indeed quite good in both acting and writing. The actor who played David Madsen in particular really stepped it up for me throughout the whole experience culminating in one of the best performances I've seen this year in his short time on-screen in Episode 5. That scene is subtle, restrained, and heart-breaking. Her Story? It doesn't have any of that nuance going for it.

Wowzers.

Really?

Really?!

Yea. Really.

It's one of the worst performances I've seen in gaming if I'm going to be perfectly honest here.

Did you watch a few videos or barey play the game?

Oh, wait. You're the guy who dislikes anything majority of people like from the Stereogum thread.

Never mind, ignored because it seems like you're just going against the grain because you have this weird view on popular media.

Bolivar687

Banned
I guess you're talking about Arkham Knight. I still haven't played the game so I was pretty pissed too.

True but there was no way they could nominate him without giving it away. They can't keep a fan favorite off the ballot list so they don't spoil it for the backloggers.

Ekai

Did you watch a few videos or barey play the game?

Oh, wait. You're the guy who dislikes anything majority of people like from the Stereogum thread.

Never mind, ignored because it seems like you're just going against the grain because you have this weird view on popular media.

Actually, no. I don't dislike popular media. But thanks for continuing to not actually read my posts and purposefully mischarterize them just because you can't stand that people have different opinions than you.

Actually, no. I don't dislike popular media. But thanks for continuing to not actually read my posts and purposefully mischarterize them just because you can't stand that people have different opinions than you.

You're the guy who said whenever something gets overwhelming praise you tend to dislike it. Your own words. That's why I made the assumption that you're just being nonsensical with your opinion. You have a bias.

eizarus

Banned
Just started playing The Witcher 3 last weekend. Definitely deserved the awards it got. Bloodbourne is a very close second, IMO.

Ekai

You're the girl who said whenever something gets overwhelming praise you tend to dislike it. Your own words. That's why I made the assumption that you're just being nonsensical with your opinion. You have a bias.

I said I tend to be leery of it because I often find I do not agree with the high praise. The degree of likability however is another matter entirely. So, thanks for yet again continuing to ignore my actual words for your own ends.

It's not a bias, it's me stating my view on the game. Sorry you can't stand that I disagree with you over a video game now too. If you want to go on a personal witchhunt with me, go ahead and spam my pm box. This topic isn't where it belongs.

BadWolf

Isn't Jade a Canadian? She was probably just standing up for her comrade, wouldn't be surprised if she knows Hayter personally.

Makonero

I said I tend to be leery of it because I often find I do not agree with the high praise. The degree of likability however is another matter entirely. So, thanks for yet again continuing to ignore my actual words for your own ends.

It's not a bias, it's me stating my view on the game. Sorry you can't stand that I disagree with you over a video game now too. If you want to go on a personal witchhunt with me, go ahead and spam my pm box. This topic isn't where it belongs.

A "plot twist that comes a mile away" is not a good indication that you paid any attention at all to the actual game of Her Story, sorry. The performance is much better than you give it credit for. I liked Contradiction a great deal, but the acting in that game was atrocious at times. So yeah, your opinion? Not well founded.

Just started playing The Witcher 3 last weekend. Definitely deserved the awards it got. Bloodbourne is a very close second, IMO.

Haven't played witcher 3 (or any of them to be fair) but I've played BloodBorne and loved it. Can't wait to play witcher 3 in like 10 years once I've played 1 and 2.

Ekai

A "plot twist that comes a mile away" is not a good indication that you paid any attention at all to the actual game of Her Story, sorry. The performance is much better than you give it credit for. I liked Contradiction a great deal, but the acting in that game was atrocious at times. So yeah, your opinion? Not well founded.

Except I did. The game isn't some nuanced puzzle, it's very straightforward. Sorry you don't like that I got something different out of the experience?

And Contradiction could get away with the hammy acting because that was it's style. It embraced that style and lived it. It was a natural part of it. Her Story on otherhand was going for something very specific in it's mood and it falls so hard because the acting is so very on the nose.

Any comment on my mention of past fmv games like Gabriel Knight 2 or Phantasmagoria 2? I quite like a well-made fmv game, and Her Story frankly wasn't that for me.

I'm finding that if you disagree with a majority opinion on Gaf and even explain yourself, you don't get healthy debate, you get insulted, shafted, mischaracterized or told your views are wrong because you didn't actually do what you say you did.
As I said in a previous post, if you want to witchhunt me, this isn't the topic for it. If you want to actually discuss the performance, then it would be on topic.

Makonero

Except I did. The game isn't some nuanced puzzle, it's very straightforward. Sorry you don't like that I got something different out of the experience?

And Contradiction could get away with the hammy acting because that was it's style. It embraced that style and lived it. It was a natural part of it. Her Story on otherhand was going for something very specific in it's mood and it falls so hard because the acting is so very on the nose.

Any comment on my mention of past fmv games like Gabriel Knight 2 or Phantasmagoria 2? I quite like a well-made fmv game, and Her Story frankly wasn't that for me.

You don't have to like the game, but I am saddened that you seemed to miss the whole point. Your loss.

NathanS

Judging from his attitude on Twitter following the nomination announcement, it doesn't seem like he was that interested in awards at all.

They read far more, sour loserish to me. Especially the way he threw his nose up at Rocket League. Came across as childish.

Ekai

You don't have to like the game, but I am saddened that you seemed to miss the whole point. Your loss.

Didn't miss any point at all. We just disagree, sorry.

I also like how you continue to not comment on GK2 or P2. But my opinion on Contradiction apparently is proof that I don't know fmv games.

Makonero

Didn't miss any point at all.

I also like how you continue to not comment on GK2 or P2. But my opinion on Contradiction apparently is proof that I don't know fmv games.

I've never played either of those. My experience with FMV games is limited, but that doesn't mean I can't recognize good acting. Again, I disagree. If you read the Her Story OT you'll see a wide-ranging discussion of the game that proved to me that there's more beneath the surface. Nothing about Her Story is obvious or "on the nose." But you feel differently; that's fine. I just take umbrage at your characterization of Viva Seifert's acting because her performance was truly a step above almost every game I've ever played.

Ekai

I've never played either of those. My experience with FMV games is limited, but that doesn't mean I can't recognize good acting. Again, I disagree. If you read the Her Story OT you'll see a wide-ranging discussion of the game that proved to me that there's more beneath the surface. Nothing about Her Story is obvious or "on the nose." But you feel differently; that's fine. I just take umbrage at your characterization of Viva Seifert's acting because her performance was truly a step above almost every game I've ever played.

Of course. Which is why I find it odd you'd use my view of Contradiction as proof that I don't know a good fmv game/acting.

All I will say is one can discuss something in wide stretches but have little depth in regards to the Her Story OT.

And that's fine. We can disagree on that. For me her performance was exaggerated and in your face and that really makes the whole thing off-putting. Though as I said, part of the fault for me also lies in the writing itself which is pretty much Barlow rehashing stuff he's already done. I can only fault the actress so much when the material itself fell flat in the first place for me.

Ithil

I find it more laughable that it's claimed to be one of the worst performances "ever" in games. In games, home of some of the worst voice acting of all time, in hundreds of games, that's supposedly "one of the worst ever"?

When I think of "worst of all time" I think Chaos Wars, not Her Story.

Makonero

I find it more laughable that it's claimed to be one of the worst performances "ever" in games. In games, home of some of the worst voice acting of all time, in hundreds of games, that's supposedly "one of the worst ever"?

I love the game, but "Baten Kaitos: Overlong Subtitle About The Stars" is ear-bleedingly bad.

It's one of the worst performances I've seen in gaming if I'm going to be perfectly honest here.

Her performance was very nuanced, though I don't suppose it's something most pick up. I did a huge write up about the plot in the spoilers thread. Probably the most I've ever probed a game plot and it held up extremely well despite multiple interpretations. It's incredible.

Posts in question. Rest of the topic has some great discussion, too. Spoilers for Her Story, obviously.

Ekai

Her performance was very nuanced, though I don't suppose it's something most pick up. I did a huge write up about the plot in the spoilers thread. Probably the most I've ever probed a game plot and it held up extremely well despite multiple interpretations. It's incredible.

Picked up on it pretty quickly but okay. If you want to link to your post, I'll read it. But I know the game inside and out. To me it's not as complex as people make it out to be.

Chaos Wars is definitely up there. As is Arc Rise Fantasia.

adj_noun

I find it more laughable that it's claimed to be one of the worst performances "ever" in games.

I tend to assume there's an ongoing GAF hyperbole competition.

Which I would never win, because I'm the most truthful and down to earth person that's ever walked the face of the earth.

HeelPower

Is it safe to say that Keighley hit his stride ?

Its by far the best game awards show I've seen.Overall pretty damn well done and slick.

Aaron D.

Yeah, this was my big takeaway.

It doesn't bother me in the least if someone critiques or doesn't like the performance in Her Story. But in fairness, to claim it's "one of the worst ever" is so blatantly hyperbolic that it deserves calling out.

Associating the voice work in Her Story with decades of truly horrible voice acting, much of it by non-actors in the early days, really does the game a disservice.

It was a great 2+ hours but my biggest beef with it was the forced advertising, interviewing people about how they find battlefront fun and the guy pimping the disney infinity toys was really ugh, the show itself was great however, a TON better then stuff in the past for video games.

Few tweaks is all it needs for next year, less cheese and maybe someone who can actually remix videogame music instead of deadmau5

Toparaman

Banned
I think this awards show needs to embrace video games for what they really are. There's such a disconnect between the frequent platitudes about how games are the most groundbreaking and influential artform, and the reality of the games being nominated for awards. Truthfully, most of us don't play games for their artistic merit, we play games for fun and recreation. The best games often allow for silliness and stupidity, or are deeply entrenched in escapist genres like fantasy and soft sci-fi. And that's perfectly fine.

Games don't need to be important, or speak to a higher truth. We can embrace the talent, craft, and hard work of game developers without pretending that their works rise above escapism, because escapism has its own value. It gets us through hard times and acts as an extension of the real, physical world and our imaginations.

The way Nintendo does their Directs and live events is a model for how to do this shit right. There is the utmost respect for game developers, but no pretense is made that the games they make offer anything more than fun.

mileS

It was a great 2+ hours but my biggest beef with it was the forced advertising, interviewing people about how they find battlefront fun and the guy pimping the disney infinity toys was really ugh, the show itself was great however, a TON better then stuff in the past for video games.

Few tweaks is all it needs for next year, less cheese and maybe someone who can actually remix videogame music instead of deadmau5
The money has to come from somewhere... this isn't on Spike TV anymore. The Battlefront shit was harmless.

raven777

Geoff Keighley
@geoffkeighley
And by the way sincere apologies to @JadeRaymond -- the envelope we gave her was incorrectly printed. Our mess up, not her fault.

j-wood

It wasn't Jade Raymond's fault.

Geoff Keighley ‏@geoffkeighley 46s47 seconds ago
And by the way sincere apologies to @jaderaymond -- the envelope we gave her was incorrectly printed. Our mess up, not her fault.

Wingus

Her Story got some well deserved awards :)

Viva Seifert was phenomenal and really made that game that extra bit special. Well and truly deserved.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Stefanie Joosten looked amazing last night. Like...damn.

CSP1iX3UAAA6XxZ.jpg:large
She usually do :)

legacyzero

Banned

I mean, you gotta pay the bills dude.
It was mega lite compared to other years.

Again, just for reference, The Academy Awards has between 70 - 82 ads per show. That is almost 15 minutes per hour.

El-Suave

The criticism of the ads seems wrong to me, let's be glad that the industry is supporting more or less traditional games media this way instead of buttering up individual Youtubers where viewers often don't even realize they're being targeted. The more money flows transparently into shows like this, websites or even magazines the better.

Top Bottom