• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards 2015 Thread: Keighley's Last Supper

Joey Ravn

Banned
I don't really know how to interpret Jade Raymond's comment. Was she saying it as "nobody imagined Snake without Hayter, but Kiefer nailed it" or was it more "Kiefer sucked ass"?

Be as it may, I personally think the comment was out of place, even if it was a joke or a praise for Kiefer's work. It was not a war worth fighting for all over again, and that definitely wasn't the place to try it.

Love The Witcher 3 and at the moment it's tied as my GOTY with Bloodborne, but I'm still damn disappointed that Bloodborne didn't win anything. Played it again last night and it's simply one of the most addictive and enjoyable games ever made. I can't get enough of it.

I don't really know how to interpret Jade Raymond's comment. Was she saying it as "nobody imagined Snake without Hayter, but Kiefer nailed it" or was it more "Kiefer sucked ass"?

Be as it may, I personally think the comment was out of place, even if it was a joke or a praise for Kiefer's work. It was not a war worth fighting for all over again, and that definitely wasn't the place to try it.
I wonder what was wrong with her in general. The drawled speech, that dig at Kiefer (or whatever it was), getting Her Story and Witcher 3 mixed up and not bothering to correct herself further than a "sorry"... I hate to go there but she really did behave like she was on something. It was a bit embarrassing to watch.

BadWolf

It's pretty simple to interpret it since after she said it she said that she was sorry and it was mean.

Arkeband

Banned
Bloodborne is a masterpiece with or without Geoff's curated panel giving it an award, so as part of the From Software fan community, I really don't care that much.

Part of gitting gud is that you have to accept others are still on the path to gitting gud. They'll praise the sun/make contact eventually.

oxidax

After they gave Westwood Studios the award I started wondering, did they every say if C&C Generals 2 is being remade or is it dead forever?

zeshakag

Props to the VGA. I haven't watched any video game award show in a couple years but it seems that someone has finally taken the right approach towards creating an event based upon the celebration of the industry, it's developers and its fans. I saw the Westwod tribute on YouTube and I thought it was very well done. That's way beyond anything I would have expected out of a video game awards show 5 years ago.

So props to Geoff.

Meier

I was watching TV with my wife but had this going on my phone at the same time to see bits and pieces. Is the Iwata tribute available somewhere? I didn't have the sound on so I'd like to see this and Reggie's speech.

ArjanN

It was a pretty obvious joke. Also,that joke has been run into the ground on GAF/the internet so much that it should have like zero shock value left at this point anyway.

I was watching TV with my wife but had this going on my phone at the same time to see bits and pieces. Is the Iwata tribute available somewhere? I didn't have the sound on so I'd like to see this and Reggie's speech.

Reggie's Iwata speech and Greg Miller's acceptance speech are highlights of the show. I don't have links, but I know they're out there.

I forgot to post this but how the hell did RAD not get nominated for the Best Performance category? He should've won too because I went and looked at footage for Her Game and there is nothing special about it.

How could anyone not recognize RAD's amazing performance in MGSV? Spoilers for the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2LNl0iklkA

have you played Her Story? watching a few clips isn't going to illustrate the job Viva Seifert actually had to do for it.

have you played Her Story? watching a few clips isn't going to illustrate the job Viva Seifert actually had to do for it.
Noticed a lot of those kind of posts in the thread. "Her Story? Never heard of it, lol!"
It's really silly to criticize a game for winning if you haven't played it or never even heard of it before. Perhaps it suggests that it's worth your time rather than your mocking

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
What's Jim trying to do with the retweets? Just bring up things people said in the past that make them seem like assholes? Jim's got plenty of past tweets that make him look like a much bigger knob than Keighley ever has. Bit of a dick move.

Whats Ironic is that Keighley was shilling those companies so he could get the money to do more video game shows and keep his dream going.

Look even I thought the Battlefront stuff was a little over the top but I understand WHY it is there as well as all the other marketing stuff. Pope can't just put this show on like the Oscars and Emmy Awards. There is no money for it and the industry itself wont just pay for it without the shilling.

Budlight, GO90, Microsoft and EA were the only way Keighley could get the money to make this shit happen. People need to grow up and realize this. The man is the ambassador of gaming in my mind and is trying to drag it kicking and screaming into the lime light.

I do think he needs to have a host though, he really does look tired when hosting. Weight of the world and all that. I nominate Troy Baker or Mark Hamill :).

Reggie's Iwata speech and Greg Miller's acceptance speech are highlights of the show. I don't have links, but I know they're out there.

Westwood and Iwata had me crying. Greg Miller had me cheering. I fucking love the documentary stuff Keighley does. He needs to do a lot more of it. Really high quality.

What a let down. Worst than last year. The 10 world exclusives were lame and not news worthy. I will not follow this show next year, the "unveilings" are not worth it, clearly the industry has to business/interest in making big announcements in December.

You shouldn't be watching this for the unvailings. If you are then you are part of the problem. This is an award show and a celebration of gaming with the possiblity of unavailings. It is NOT December E3. Don't treat it as such.

I don't watch award shows but is it normal to completely skip categories when something wins in multiple categories with a "hey it also wins x" (made more fun when they gaffe up as the case of Splatoon). It feels unfair to the things in the other categories (unless you read the nominations you wouldn't even know what was nominated for sports for example). It also completely spoils things as when it appears nominated in other awards you know it can't win. But hey it means more time for PR material.

I don't watch award shows but is it normal to completely skip categories when something wins in multiple categories with a "hey it also wins x" (made more fun when they gaffe up as the case of Splatoon). It feels unfair to the things in the other categories (unless you read the nominations you wouldn't even know what was nominated for sports for example). It also completely spoils things as when it appears nominated in other awards you know it can't win. But hey it means more time for PR material.

All award shows tend to have awards that aren't announced at the live show, but TGAs has been a little more egregious with it because of the fan desire to have more "world premiers" as part of the stream. Geoff said this year he was going for a 50-50 balance. 10 awards, 10 premiers. Hopefully the community pushes him for more awards to be shown, because it's really an interesting part of the show.

On another note, I'd love to see more awards given out that specifically honor people in the industry. It's awesome seeing Westwood Studios' founders getting honored in that way and I'd love to see the awards like "best art direction" or "GOTY" have the directors' names tied to them so we could have a better look into the specific people who are driving the industry forward right now.

lt519

Couple cool reveals; I thought all the musical performances sounded great (I was mostly just listening to the show then looking when a new premiere was up).

Minus a couple people (Reggie and Greg Miller) it seemed most people just didn't really want to be there. Like they took the invitation/interview just to get their product some airtime. Even Geoff seems sarcastic at times about his own show's relevancy ("Yeah let's hear it for Lara Croft Go", I could basically hear his eyes roll). They skip over so many awards to cut down on the show time but what they are cutting out is replaced by ads and plugs.

Kudos to Geoff for pulling it together and trying to rally the industry together, but until the big players buy in 100% it'll never be what he wants it to be. Shame, it could be something really cool, but right now it's just an OK event.

Dragon

Banned
It's quite obvious over the last two years, the only way this show is being made is through advertiser support. I'd be curious how much money Geoff needs to run the show without that. I like the idea of a Patreon frankly. It's also obvious that Geoff is very invested in the industry with the Iwata and Westwood tributes, so it'd be nice if we could see what it would be like without the sponsorships.

Couple cool reveals; I thought all the musical performances sounded great (I was mostly just listening to the show then looking when a new premiere was up).

Minus a couple people (Reggie and Greg Miller) it seemed most people just didn't really want to be there. Like they took the invitation/interview just to get their product some airtime. Even Geoff seems sarcastic at times about his own show's relevancy ("Yeah let's hear it for Lara Croft Go", I could basically hear his eyes roll). They skip over so many awards to cut down on the show time but what they are cutting out is replaced by ads and plugs.

Kudos to Geoff for pulling it together and trying to rally the industry together, but until the big players buy in 100% it'll never be what he wants it to be. Shame, it could be something really cool, but right now it's just an OK event.

What big players are you talking about? Industry players or what? I mean it's not the Academy Awards or anything.

lt519

What big players are you talking about? Industry players or what? I mean it's not the Academy Awards or anything.

Until it can be funded through no-strings attached money from Sony, Nintendo, MS, and some other major publishes such as Ubi and EA it won't be the celebration of the gaming industry that Geoff wants it to be. Right now, like you said, it's entirely funded by advertising/plugs and the show just reeks of it. It certainly isn't the Academy Awards but that is most likely the vision Geoff has for it. The current trajectory isn't going to get there even in 20 years until you get the big players all in. Sure give each major player their 1-2 world premieres but get rid of the Battlefront room, get rid of the Shaq-Fu plug, get rid of the guy giving the Skylanders toy to the interviewer. It just brings down the show. You donate $100,000 (totally made up number of course) you get two world premiers, you don't get a room where every developer gets jumped and asked what their favorite Battlefront character is. Keep the world premiers to videos and no on-stage presence. Keep that for the awards, tributes, and shows. The shows were fantastic, Ben Harper was great, Dead Mau5 incorporated video games into his show, the MGS was great.

I made a thread about it last year after the show and was kind of shut down pretty fast. I realize what I wrote isn't "no-strings" attached, but the plugs in show need to stop, it breaks the momentum horribly.

Denzar

TGA spoiled a game for me.

Fucking annoying how you literally need to live under a rock to stay spoiler free nowadays.

Ugh.

Apathy

I wonder what was wrong with her in general. The drawled speech, that dig at Kiefer (or whatever it was), getting Her Story and Witcher 3 mixed up and not bothering to correct herself further than a "sorry"... I hate to go there but she really did behave like she was on something. It was a bit embarrassing to watch.

She definitely was. Her really slow pace of speaking was a dead giveaway.

Sande

I just watched it and I'm still waiting for Deadmau5 to actually begin. I mean what the fuck was that.

I guess they kind of have to sell out to fund this event but it really, really hurts the integrity of the whole thing when half of it seems to be a paid advertisement for Battlefront. At least the Go90 (or whatever) stuff was honest about it.

That said, I did overall like the show this year. Especially the first half/two thirds were pretty amazing.

ArjanN

GAF always thinks everyone is high or drunk, but really 9 out of 10 people can't string a coherent sentence together in front of a crowd. Besides It seemed more like she couldn't read the teleprompter to me.

The jab at MGS was obvious tongue in cheek and so mild you'd have to be pretty tonedeaf to think anyone was actually offended by that.

wheapon

I'm not sure if he was just nervous, but it didn't seem like Geoff wanted to be at his own show-i really feel he might not be the best choice to host these in the future based on how he's done thus far. The worst hosting choice he's had was definitely him and Joel McHale, though. That was awful.

I'm aware that Geoff arranges these things and I'm glad to see actual musical acts there but the energy was really lacking.

Meier

I had it muted as I mentioned before, but my buddy texted me and said that he thought the woman on the stage was high or something.

On another note, I did hear a little bit when the woman was talking about the new Halo stuff and that was horrible. She was not a good speaker and/or was incredibly nervous.

ckohler

My friend and I watched last night and we mostly enjoyed it. Here are a couple of suggestions for Geoff, however:

Don't host. Just produce. - I like you Geoff, I really do. You have a lot of passion for this industry and it shows. What you don't have however is stage performance ability. When Troy Baker walked out to present an award and was so utterly confident and charming all my friend and I could ask was, "Why isn't he hosting this?"

Think about this: The reason popular award shows like the Oscars or Emmys have actors/comedians be the hosts isn't simply for name recognition. It's because public speaking comes so naturally for them and you are just not on that level, Geoff. Rewatch the show and you'll see that every time they cut back to you, it was shots of you bashfully looking down at your feet, ignoring the cameras, and fumbling to be spontaneous and sincere.

If you DO plan to host it again next year, maybe at least write a script to read from a teleprompter because I don't think trying to "wing it" is working. Better yet, just ask Troy to host. Regardless, I would at least expect the host of the show to stand on the stage instead of having everyone in the audience painfully creaking their necks to see what's going on behind them.

More Focus on Awards - This is a tough one but I really don't understand why half of the awards are given a back seat at this show. I know you need to make time for all of the world premiers but if you're not going to give them out on stage maybe at least run clips of those awards being given or something rather than just offhandedly mentioning them as if they don't matter. I honestly don't know who won half of the awards and it makes the whole thing seem petty.

The Game Awards, sponsored by, among many other brands, Xbox, presented at the Microsoft theater in LA.
Did you really expect a PlayStation first party exclusive to be awarded?

Hell, with the amount of Star Wars Battelfront shilling going on, I'm surprised they didn't give that game at least 3 awards.

Goes without saying, though, it was worth watching for all the middle fingers pointed at Konami. #FuckKonami

Lol @ your little conspiracy theory here

boskee

2418b6K.jpg

They match perfectly.

Leatherface

I love that Splatoon took the win from such high profile competition. It deserves all the attention because it really is THAT good. :)

Pilgrimzero

Finally getting around to watching this.

No idea who Greg Miller is, know the others.

that Chvrches group, kinda liked it though the lead seems young and sings young. Somehow it worked well together.

Kiefer wonders why he is here, is sad his biggest following is video game stuff and not tv/film

Mark Hamil is great.

Ice burn on Konami.

Stephanie Joosten can do whatever she wants. She's a goddess.

This Jade person is drunk or high jeeze.

Apathy

GAF always thinks everyone is high or drunk, but really 9 out of 10 people can't string a coherent sentence together in front of a crowd. Besides It seemed more like she couldn't read the teleprompter to me.

The jab at MGS was obvious tongue in cheek and so mild you'd have to be pretty tonedeaf to think anyone was actually offended by that.

The hayter joke was in bad taste though. Like yeah, I grew up with him as snake, and i like his work, but I don't think Konami was forcing kojima to change voice actors. If kojima decided that big boss needed a new voice actor then why do people get up in arms about the change. He's the creator, yet gamers can't let go. The little bit of actual vo that Sutherland did was good, and definitely better than the early stuff hayter did as snake. Gamers get way too hung up on these things and make mountains of of mole hills. It's like if i said "the only true bond is Sean Connery, fuck every other bond I'm boycotting eon productions, none of them bring anything good to the character", you would think I'm insane cause it's a fictional character.

More Focus on Awards - This is a tough one but I really don't understand why half of the awards are given a back seat at this show. I know you need to make time for all of the world premiers but if you're not going to give them out on stage maybe at least run clips of those awards being given or something rather than just offhandedly mentioning them as if they don't matter. I honestly don't know who won half of the awards and it makes the whole thing seem petty.

Or don't show World Premieres. Is that such a crazy thought? Am I the only person who thinks that's a conflict of interest? (maybe I'm exaggerating a little there)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the VGAs is the only awards show that shows off trailers for the media it will be judging in next year's awards show.

I don't think that showing premieres means that none of the awards can be taken seriously.

I do, however, think it's harder to take seriously when an awards show skimps out on showing the actual awards, in favour of games that aren't even released yet.

It's one of the worst performances I've seen in gaming if I'm going to be perfectly honest here.

i'm going to be perfectly honest and make a giant assumption that you're unable to accurately gauge real human emotion. i found Viva's performance subtle, understated and convincing, unlike some of the other candidates (I have not played Life is Strange but by all accounts it's also well written and acted) on the list, which is chiefly why i'm glad she won the category.

Ekai

Yeah, uh, huh, right. How much did you play? There's more nuance in that role than any I've ever seen in a video game.

The whole thing. It's really dreadfully awful to me. It's not nuanced either. It's an exaggerated, in your face, trainwreck of a performance with a plot twist that can be seen from miles away. There's no subtlety to it. It also doesn't help that the game was written by Sam Barlow. He pretty much just repeated himself from Shattered Memories. Which had neat ideas but terrible execution. Her Story didn't even have the neat ideas down pat.

Voidburger's stream video of it covers really well why Her Story is just....not good. Opinions,of course, but Her Story was not great. The fact so many praised it as the greatest fmv game of all time also tells me most modern reviewers have never played an fmv game. Phantasmagoria 2 for example is miles above in quality. Gabriel Knight 2 is also a wonderfully engaging fmv game. Hell, Contradiction from earlier this year had more original design and entertainment value going for it.

Top Bottom