• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards 2015 Thread: Keighley's Last Supper

openrob

What a let down. Worst than last year. The 10 world exclusives were lame and not news worthy. I will not follow this show next year, the "unveilings" are not worth it, clearly the industry has to business/interest in making big announcements in December.

You know what, after sleeping on it.
If watched for the actual awards then it is a good show

Justinh

W10GK9b.png

Those retweets too.

I feel like I'm dreaming.

I like Mr. Sterling, but I don't get what he's doing here. This really looks like "15 year old with a twitter account" kind of shit.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
The Game Awards, sponsored by, among many other brands, Xbox, presented at the Microsoft theater in LA.
Did you really expect a PlayStation first party exclusive to be awarded?

Hell, with the amount of Star Wars Battelfront shilling going on, I'm surprised they didn't give that game at least 3 awards.

Goes without saying, though, it was worth watching for all the middle fingers pointed at Konami. #FuckKonami

Take off that tinfoil hat dude.

Splatoon winning Best Multiplayer was the highlight for me.

I didn't even know if it'd be nominated the way some videogame awards things go.

A lot of people know but it's time for the rest to realize that it's the real deal.

I just finished watching the recorded show. I can't believe how many empty seats there were. Surely it couldn't have been hard to find people willing to be there?

And so much cringe, haha. So many amazingly talented developers that aren't quite as talented in speaking. Nonetheless, congratulations to all the winners!

Deft Beck

Aside from all of the Nintendo content and the shade thrown at Konami, this year's show was a marked downgrade from last year.

• Professional cheering section at the front that ruined the piano segment with waving
  • Giving half of the interesting awards away in five seconds while dedicting too much time to eSports and YouTubers
  • Psychonauts 2 was a surprise, but I am getting very tired of announcements for crowdfunding
  • Musical performances seemed half-hearted. I like CHVRCHES but they just performed the single they perform at every TV performance and the Deadmau5 performance dragged. The piano guy was nice, but see item #1.
  • The transition between the Iwata part and the booming dubstep transition music was jarring
  • Please do not screw up the award announcements, as it leads to confusion and looks very unprofessional
  • Stop wasting time with skits

Also, for everyone who expected Undertale to win anything, I doubt that Toby Fox would have wanted to fly out to LA to walk onstage for two minutes. Judging from his attitude on Twitter following the nomination announcement, it doesn't seem like he was that interested in awards at all. Plus, Rocket League is easier to show on stage and they had the new platform announcement.

I don't have high hopes for next year, given that the last two shows have been so mediocre as a whole.

Disxo

Nice vga, but seriously geoff,we need more celebration of gaming like the westwood studios part, that was the best slice of the event imo.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I think the show needs to embrace its identity rather than try to be "the videogame Oscars".

That Jade Raymond part was just.....fuck.

kiguel182

Well, I watched this morning and I guess it was what I expected. The premiers were cool but that shouldn't even be part of the show.

It was a tighter show than last year but it's still the kind of Game Awards show that I do not want or like.

It was all about marketing and celebrating the so-called "gaming culture". It's clearly not made for me.

There were good moments, most related to Her Story and Iwata but that was it. It's kinda sad that a show that says it wants to celebrate games spends so little time with the people that actually MAKE those games. Again, it's all about "gaming culture" and that's not something I think it's really worth celebrating.

Having Reggie accepting an award and not even mentioning who made the game set the tone pretty early but the more they showed marketing figures or gave awards to games off-stage (again) the more that was clear.

The focus on devs or people involved in making games came mostly on the Unity segments, the Iwata tribute, the Westwood studio bit and the actress from Her Story. Greg Miller made a good speech but, again, he was the one on stage and not one of the people he mentioned. And that's sad as much as I enjoy Greg.

Game developers and people that participate in making a games should be front and center but, again, they played second field and were under-represented. It's one of the reasons the Bafta awards are excellent in celebrating games and this Game Awards are not.

Elandyll

Banned
Bloodborne was seriously robbed imo, but I guess that was to be somewhat expected with a popular multiplat title like W3 consistently placed in the same award categories...
Hopefully the trend isn't a full swipe.

Wow, Bloodborne winning nothing was a dissapointment. Also, Witcher 3, which was kind of a broken game, winning was meh too. (at least the story is nice)

Justinh

Is there a recap of the announcements?

I don't really want to watch the whole thing.

Try this.
  • Psychonauts 2 in the works. Will be crowdfunded. We spoke with him about it.
  • A new character was announced for Uncharted 4
  • Telltale is making a Batman game
  • New Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn trailer shown at The Game Awards 2015
  • Far Cry Primal lets you sic sabre tooth tigers on your enemies
  • Psychonauts 2 crowdfunding campaign launches on Fig with $3.3 million goal
  • Holy shit, The Elder Scrolls players can win $1 million
  • Oculus Rift does not get release date, but does get Rock Band VR
  • Here’s the new Quantum Break trailer from The Game Awards 2015
  • Shadow Complex Remastered free now on PC, coming to PS4, Xbox One
  • Next free Halo 5 update brings new Arena maps and Forge
  • Keighley: Konami blocked Hideo Kojima from The Game Awards 2015
  • Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 gameplay trailer debuts at The Game Awards 2015
  • Here’s your first look at The Walking Dead: Michonne
  • Why yes, Rocket League is coming to Xbox One
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider: Baba Yaga DLC gets first spooky trailer

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Lol at Bloodborne not winning art direction.

gogogow

Gotta love Jade Raymond throwing shade at Keifer Sutherland, then immediately got the tables turned by fucking up the award announcement.

Did the TGA made a mistake with the winner card/envelope? There's no way you would read "Her Story" as "The Witcher 3". Though she should have known of course as someone from the industry.

Someone mentioned the posts during the Iwata tribute were bad, so I went back to look and

hoo boy

I knew some of these people were malcontents, but seriously. Imagine being the kind of person that can't put your video game preferences aside long enough to keep from brain vomiting bile into GAF posts for four minutes.

It was pretty bad. These people have zero class and made the topic seem like a Twitch chat. It was pathetic and childish, most likely coming from guys in their 20s or even older. It's the side I HATE of the industry, and even if GAF is above most other communities, those types of guys still find a way here.

I hope a mod goes through and finds these posts, or I might just submit some myself.

Well....so much for a chance of finally seeing something on Recore. WTF was MS even thinking announcing that game for Spring 2016 and we still don't know or seen shit?

Highly disappointing when Geoff Keighley there was one more last thing, i certainly did not think he meant a freaking music performance.

NotLiquid

I've never really listened to DeadMaus or whatever, but that performance...it was so bad.

I was watching the event on my xbox one with my friend and his brother through group chat and he was telling me that a lot of DeadMaus' music takes forever to build up and do anything that is crazy. So we were just kinda joking like "well, it did seem like it was going to be some game-inspired music for a minute there...remember when Bowser popped up at the beginning? And now there's Boos." And as it went on "Umm...so he's been laying ground work for a beat for like 5 minutes now. Is he gonna do something cool?" And it just sort of abruptly ended and we kinda just started laughing and were like wow...we were just in shock. I don't understand how he was getting so hyped in his music when it was pretty slow and it sounded like something you could create on Fruity Loops in a few minutes.

Joel is pretty much the posterboy for this kind of breed of house music but despite that he's a genuinely talented producer who is far more talented than he gets credit for. While he's most known for the kind of beats you'll find on his albums like Random Album Title, he's shown plenty of textured productions with serene IDM on his recent album while(1<2). Most of his house songs are usually good bangers as well and when he dropped the Ghosts n Stuff sample I expected a remix or something a little more intensive, but I was surprised he went with a more mellow choice.

I was thinking the same thing about the music. I thought it was gonna hit a high point, but that point just never came. I'm not sure why this guy gets hired for gaming events. I guess he must appeal to some people.

He's a pretty big gaming fan and regularly streams. Despite his notoriety as a person (he's very forward and blunt) he genuinely enjoys the medium. It's just a shame that a lot of people give him shade for that fact alone. For this performance he was asked to do a five minute medley incorporating some of his favorite gaming tunes. That's not really all that optimal for his performance style though.

Admodieus

It was pretty bad. These people have zero class and made the topic seem like a Twitch chat. It was pathetic and childish, most likely coming from guys in their 20s or even older. It's the side I HATE of the industry, and even if GAF is above most other communities, those types of guys still find a way here.

I hope a mod goes through and finds these posts, or I might just submit some myself.

Honestly, this entire thread has been pretty embarrassing. "Greg Miller get off the stage" (he talked for about a minute), the constant whining over Bloodborne not winning Best Art Direction, the reaction to the Iwata tribute, etc.

There is still lots of room for improvement but this is still a huge step up from where we were at with the VGAs and Geoff Keighley is at least making the effort to put the spotlight on some great parts of the industry (Westwood Studios) and some parts deserving our contempt (Konami).

gai_shain

Honestly, this entire thread has been pretty embarrassing. "Greg Miller get off the stage" (he talked for about a minute), the constant whining over Bloodborne not winning Best Art Direction, the reaction to the Iwata tribute, etc.

There is still lots of room for improvement but this is still a huge step up from where we were at with the VGAs and Geoff Keighley is at least making the effort to put the spotlight on some great parts of the industry (Westwood Studios) and some parts deserving our contempt (Konami).

yeah certainly not a high point for certain users

I love Bloodborne, got a Platinum in the game, one of my favorites of the year. The whining was childish, but it always seems to happen with the From Software gaming community. It's one thing to be disappointed your favorite game didn't win, it's another to think that the game is owed something from everyone just because you feel it's better than every other game out there.

NotLiquid

It still amazes me that Splatoon won not only best multiplayer but best shooter in a year that was dominated by just about every western AAA franchise. Nintendo keeping it fresh and having it pay off in massive ways. It never ceases to astound me how big Splatoon has become.

I love Bloodborne, got a Platinum in the game, one of my favorites of the year. The whining was childish, but it always seems to happen with the From Software gaming community. It's one thing to be disappointed your favorite game didn't win, it's another to think that the game is owed something from everyone just because you feel it's better than every other game out there.

Yeah, even though I was let down for instance that Undertale didn't win any awards Toby has said before that people liking his game and saying that it had an effect on them matters more to him than any score or award. That's the kind of mentality I think many devs share.

Actually now that I remember, I didn't actually know Splatoon won Best Shooter till hours after the show because the freaking announcer said "Splatoon also wins Best Multiplayer" during the Best Multiplayer Award instead of "Shooter".

Cleve

W10GK9b.png

Those retweets too.

I feel like I'm dreaming.

What's Jim trying to do with the retweets? Just bring up things people said in the past that make them seem like assholes? Jim's got plenty of past tweets that make him look like a much bigger knob than Keighley ever has. Bit of a dick move.

Geoff, you're probably not reading this but the structure and pacing was much better this year than the last one. Big improvements in many areas. Props on the Iwata segment and calling out Konami. The only thing missing was 2 major game announcements. I would have thought Nintendo and MS would have offered something to Geoff to be honest... Next year, you have to put in the work and get two proper big reveals. Do that with everything from this year, and it'll be a great awards show.

PS: I'm still a little salty BB lost to Ori for art direction though. :\

What's Jim trying to do with the retweets? Just bring up things people said in the past that make them seem like assholes? Jim's got plenty of past tweets that make him look like a much bigger knob than Keighley ever has. Bit of a dick move.
I never understood why people got upset with those retweets. It's a joke/friendly jab, or atleast so I assume.

Bolivar687

Banned
Geoff, you're probably not reading this but the structure and pacing was much better this year than the last one. Big improvements in many areas. Props on the Iwata segment and calling out Konami. The only thing missing was 2 major game announcements. I would have thought Nintendo and MS would have offered something to Geoff to be honest... Next year, you have to put in the work and get two proper big reveals. Do that with everything from this year, and it'll be a great awards show.

^

Pathetic and sad.

I thought the show was very good from start to finish, great production values and premieres.
Good job Geoff and the team.

Yeah, at the end of the day I think Geoff continues to be a force for good within the industry and does his best to navigate a sea of negativity.

Ugh. It's the FROM Software gaming community again!

(Seriously?)

Not a fan of Miller on screen , in fact I find his persona unbearable at times especially with past interviews , the kind of "fan" I try to steer clear of but you know, I was pleased for him with that award, he's been through a turbulent time health wise and it was a nice turnaround with that award. Good on him.

Top Bottom