• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Greatest Console Of All Time

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
bEkgCETahNZPPcEM6xj9xb-1200-80.jpg

Ballthyrm

It's the PC

With it I can play :

• PS1, PS2, PS3, PsP
  • NES, Game&Watch, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, GameBoy, GameBoy Color, GameBoy Advance, DS, 3DS, WiiU, Switch
  • SG-1000, Master System, Genesis, Game Gear, Sega CD, Saturn, DreamCast
  • Magnavox Odyssey, Magnavox Odyssey 2
  • Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, Lynx, Jaguar
  • NeoGeo CD

I'm probably forgetting a lot of them.
And that's just listing the consoles that PC can emulate.

Quick plug for RetroArch -> https://www.retroarch.com/

cireza

Series X and PS5 combined certainly don't reach the heights of several previous generation consoles.

My pick would be MegaDrive.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Does the controller come back if you rage-throw it when you lose?
yes, and it has a built-in detector including a magnetic field to 'borrow' tech-periphery easily.

Apple really was ahead of its time...

Hmm, difficult choice.
In terms of a "real" console, possibly/probably the PC Engine.
r4GiyYD.jpg

For not quite real but as close as youre going to get, it really has to be the analogue Nt mini Noir.
SSnI3vc.jpg

And for the do it yourself holy crap I can play loads of systems including CPS1, CPS2 and NeoGeo games, it has to be the terribly named MiSTer FPGA system
ct6wgiM.jpg

Not my photos.
I'm not sure if those last two are cheating though?

Last edited:

Aldynes

For the extended/massive library i'd say OG PS3 (could play ps1/ps2/ps3)
For a modded console i'd say the Wii/WiiU as it's encompass nearly everything before PS1/Saturn including portable systems with emulators.

What are the pre-requisites for a console being best of all time?

How far back can you go and enjoy the games without technical limitations and continuously rising modern standards impeding enjoyment.
How many cream of the crop games does the machine have?
How many exclusives (not released officially digitally either) does it have to warrant the machine to be purchased (or emulated)?

It's all completely subjective, but that's what i go by. To me, it's the SNES/Megadrive + CD addon taped together.

+ Effortlessly easy to get into for anyone; 2D, approachable simple controls, great pixel art, smooth 'scrolling' (50/60FPS, usually). Retro devs have tried with varying levels of success to replicate what developers from the 16 bit generations perfected.
+ Bottomless library of excellent video games. RPGs, shooters, action platformers, collectathon platformers, quirky shit i can't even label, etc. You can live for a 150 years on a deserted island and still not be done with them.
- If you don't like 2D, you're screwed.

Top Bottom