• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Greatest Console Of All Time

keraj37

This thread for me:
incredible-sarath-sucide-gun.jpg

Marvel14

Banned
It's the PC

With it I can play :

• PS1, PS2, PS3, PsP
  • NES, Game&Watch, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, GameBoy, GameBoy Color, GameBoy Advance, DS, 3DS, WiiU, Switch
  • SG-1000, Master System, Genesis, Game Gear, Sega CD, Saturn, DreamCast
  • Magnavox Odyssey, Magnavox Odyssey 2
  • Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, Lynx, Jaguar
  • NeoGeo CD

I'm probably forgetting a lot of them.
And that's just listing the consoles that PC can emulate.

Quick plug for RetroArch -> https://www.retroarch.com/
Pirating intellectual property shouldn't count. If it did we would lose the gaming diversity you're extolling here.

Marvel14

Banned
It's the Switch surely: AAA gaming on the go and on the big screen in a super portable package and with an excellent gaming library all for an affordable price.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
It's the Switch surely: AAA gaming on the go and on the big screen in a super portable package and with an excellent gaming library all for an affordable price.
Wait until anti-Nintendo GAF gets a hold of this.

I would like to add that the Switch is my favorite platform to play indies on. And yes, a Switch Lite for example will only cost you about 170 bucks. That's an incredible price In correlation to all the value you're getting here.

wondermega

Hmm, difficult choice.
In terms of a "real" console, possibly/probably the PC Engine.
r4GiyYD.jpg

For not quite real but as close as youre going to get, it really has to be the analogue Nt mini Noir.
SSnI3vc.jpg

And for the do it yourself holy crap I can play loads of systems including CPS1, CPS2 and NeoGeo games, it has to be the terribly named MiSTer FPGA system
ct6wgiM.jpg

Not my photos.
I'm not sure if those last two are cheating though?

NT and Mister, I'd say not. While they are undoubtedly cool devices (and a means to an end), they are more along the line of approaching the thought "PC is the best game console ever because it can play EVERY game ever, technically!"

NT and Mister, I'd say not. While they are undoubtedly cool devices (and a means to an end), they are more along the line of approaching the thought "PC is the best game console ever because it can play EVERY game ever, technically!"
I'm still not sure whether those two fit into the reason this thread exists.
However, accuracy is important to me, it's not about the number of games these two consoles can play. A large part of the appeal of well implemented FPGA solutions is not having to rely on the forced hardware timings of the PC hardware that they're running on, using an FPGA allows youto run fully customisable timings, that way when something like an interupt should happen, it does happen.
It also means that the delay between pressing a button on the controller with an FPGA solution can be identical to the delay you get on the original hardware, this is why some FPGA solutions are now accepted in speed running groups.
Of course, an FPGA implementation doesn't guaruntee accuracy at all but I didnlt post the wider field of FPGA solutions, I posted two specific examples.

Top Bottom