• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Halo Infinite (campaign) Metascore prediction thread...

What's your Halo Infinite Metascore prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kimahri

Banned
I don’t know how they can get around it, maybe have a pending score at least for a month? With the posibility to update the scores even further away than that like we can with Steam reviews. Shouldn’t be too much work if they keep playing it. I update all my Steam reviews if I think it’s unfair to have the launch state making it sound worse than it is, takes a minute or two but feels like the proper thing to do.
User reviews are often criticized but many critics reviews for games with a rocky launch are completely irrelevant within a few months. If the purpose of reviews is to help consumers make the right purchase then they need to be updated when the games gets updated.
Keep playing it? Do you know how the vast majoriry of critics pay their wages? They get paid per article, not per hour, and not for updating old articles. I get your frustration, but what you're asking would be unacceptable for any employee at any company in any field of work.

Lognor

Banned
I voted 92, but I think it will likely end up lower since there is no co-op to start. Judging by the multiplayer the gameplay is going to be top notch.

Fredrik

Keep playing it? Do you know how the vast majoriry of critics pay their wages? They get paid per article, not per hour, and not for updating old articles. I get your frustration, but what you're asking would be unacceptable for any employee at any company in any field of work.
Is it better if they just drop the games after they’ve rushed through the game to write their review of the often broken day 0 version nobody else will actually play and never touch them again?

I update my Steam reviews for free and I keep playing the games because I like them.

Edit: To further explain what I mean. I simply think the static way reviews are right now combined with the strict deadlines to have something out when the review embargo is out pre-launch is what often makes critics reviews inaccurate.

Scenario 1:
A critic has to talk to devs about a problem and get assured that it’ll be fixed with the day 1 patch, then they have to guess how much better the game will be patched and then rate it higher than how they think it is during their playthrough.
Score: 8/10. Great game!
Then the game isn’t fixed day 1, or the wrong way, or never.
Why would that review be useful to anyone? Forever rated 8/10 for a broken game?

Scenario 2.
A critic don’t talk to the devs about a problem and simply rate it as is, a harsh score, because it’s simply bad or even broken without the day 1 patch.
Score: 4/10. Broken mess.
At launch there is a patch that is fixing some of the problems talked about, a month later all things are fixed and new features are out, a year later it’s almost a different game and people are loving it.
Why would that review be useful to anyone? Forever rated 4/10 for a great game?

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I voted 92, but I think it will likely end up lower since there is no co-op to start. Judging by the multiplayer the gameplay is going to be top notch.
I don't think nearly as many people care about co-op as the internet would have you believe. They are a very vocal minority.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
So, there won't be reviews for the complete package? Lol

What does this thread title have to do with how it will be reviewed? Reviews will be for both the campaign and multiplayer.
Let's just say that the beta period of the multiplayer ended and it released before the campaign. Why would that be a cause of concern?

Lognor

Banned
I don't think nearly as many people care about co-op as the internet would have you believe. They are a very vocal minority.
Yeah, but since they are vocal i feel that will influence some reviewers.

But it doesn't matter to me. I'm confident, regardless of scores, I'll enjoy the heck out of it. I've played halo 1-4 over the past year and loved them all, even halo 4 with those shit new enemies. With the more openness of infinite this might top them all for me.

levyjl1988

Banned
People are not happy with Halo Infinite Multiplayer they are going to tank the metascore to CyberPunk 2077 levels.
Imagine buying Halo Infinite and still paying for a season pass in the multiplayer option.

mejin

What does this thread title have to do with how it will be reviewed? Reviews will be for both the campaign and multiplayer.

That's my point, It shouldn't be like that.

Anyway, there is no concern. I expect solid reviews and I think 85 is really solid.

TrebleShot

I think around 90+ but quickly will be slammed by user scores.

MS did a brilliant job delaying it for a year bumping the hype to build for another year and anticipation is through the roof.

But honestly just being completely plain about it , it doesn’t look that great. I hope to be Origen completely wrong when I play it personally but the villain is Saturday morning cartoon at best and a Farcry based model for the open world killed a lot of anticipation for me.

Ultimately I think the press will go nuts for it as everyone loves a redemption story and MS is on a good roll with Horizon 5 which was largely over rated in my opinion too.

What makes it worse is Sony flopped the holiday season with no real big hitter to compete , making it all a bit meh…

Kuranghi

I think the fucked weapon animation framerate thing indicates there could be bigger technical problems in launched game, as in if the devs don't notice shit like that then they probably don't notice awful framepacing issues either. I've not seen anyone previewing complain about it though so I'm hopeful but I've been burned so many times by that this year already.

Kimahri

Banned
Is it better if they just drop the games after they’ve rushed through the game to write their review of the often broken day 0 version nobody else will actually play and never touch them again?

I update my Steam reviews for free and I keep playing the games because I like them.

Edit: To further explain what I mean. I simply think the static way reviews are right now combined with the strict deadlines to have something out when the review embargo is out pre-launch is what often makes critics reviews inaccurate.

Scenario 1:
A critic has to talk to devs about a problem and get assured that it’ll be fixed with the day 1 patch, then they have to guess how much better the game will be patched and then rate it higher than how they think it is during their playthrough.
Score: 8/10. Great game!
Then the game isn’t fixed day 1, or the wrong way, or never.
Why would that review be useful to anyone? Forever rated 8/10 for a broken game?

Scenario 2.
A critic don’t talk to the devs about a problem and simply rate it as is, a harsh score, because it’s simply bad or even broken without the day 1 patch.
Score: 4/10. Broken mess.
At launch there is a patch that is fixing some of the problems talked about, a month later all things are fixed and new features are out, a year later it’s almost a different game and people are loving it.
Why would that review be useful to anyone? Forever rated 4/10 for a great game?
You're asking for the impossible.

A critic can o ly review the product he is given. Usually there will be a review guide. It'll list known bugs, but you can never be sure of everything. Sometimes you play a game with no issues whatsoever, and then it releases and tons of people experience problems. I had that very thing happen to me with the master chief collection. It was perfect. Online or not. And then it released and the rest is history. After that I refuse to review multiplayer games before release date.

But when it's your job, you can't go back. You did your job, you dedicated every waking hour of a week to play a game, wrote the review, then moved on to the next game. Because that's how you earn a living.

For your wishes to come true, revuewers need to be paid more, and the industry is at a shoe string budget as is. Not exactly helped by ad blockers and the like. Most reviewers do it part time with other jobs as main income cause the pay sucks. Still they devote enormous amounts of free time to get reviews out, only to get shit from forum goers who know nothong about how it actually works.

I think around 90+ but quickly will be slammed by user scores.

MS did a brilliant job delaying it for a year bumping the hype to build for another year and anticipation is through the roof.

But honestly just being completely plain about it , it doesn’t look that great. I hope to be Origen completely wrong when I play it personally but the villain is Saturday morning cartoon at best and a Farcry based model for the open world killed a lot of anticipation for me.

Ultimately I think the press will go nuts for it as everyone loves a redemption story and MS is on a good roll with Horizon 5 which was largely over rated in my opinion too.

What makes it worse is Sony flopped the holiday season with no real big hitter to compete , making it all a bit meh…

I do think it will get “redemption arc” bonus points, especially from long term halo players, and people hype from not only halo’s turn around but xbox in general.

I still don’t think everyone will sip the koolaid and some will call it like they see it. Look at all the great previews Rift Apart and Returnal had before they came out. Shit, look at all the great previews all the biggest games this year had and none of them ended up scoring above a 90 aside from forza horizon and thats because it already set a bar thats hard for it to fall under being mostly iterative.

I’m sure halo will get a bunch of 10/10 “best halo Evers” but it will get 7’s also, which will keep it out of the 90’s.

LordOfChaos

Looks like a return to form with the wide open battles Halo was big on, still wondering if it's going to be a third game that dumps the last games baddie for a new villain of the week or if there's still something more going on. We're certainly on the right Ring to be getting into the balls deep lore so that's exciting.

Ozriel

M$FT
I do think it will get “redemption arc” bonus points, especially from long term halo players, and people hype from not only halo’s turn around but xbox in general.

I still don’t think everyone will sip the koolaid and some will call it like they see it. Look at all the great previews Rift Apart and Returnal had before they came out. Shit, look at all the great previews all the biggest games this year had and none of them ended up scoring above a 90 aside from forza horizon and thats because it already set a bar thats hard for it to fall under being mostly iterative.

I’m sure halo will get a bunch of 10/10 “best halo Evers” but it will get 7’s also, which will keep it out of the 90’s.

so in your books, high scores are from people ‘sipping the Koolaid’ and low scores are from folks who ‘call it as they see it’, eh?

so in your books, high scores are from people ‘sipping the Koolaid’ and low scores are from folks who ‘call it as they see it’, eh?
Hug GIF by The BarkPost

Fredrik

You're asking for the impossible.

A critic can o ly review the product he is given. Usually there will be a review guide. It'll list known bugs, but you can never be sure of everything. Sometimes you play a game with no issues whatsoever, and then it releases and tons of people experience problems. I had that very thing happen to me with the master chief collection. It was perfect. Online or not. And then it released and the rest is history. After that I refuse to review multiplayer games before release date.

But when it's your job, you can't go back. You did your job, you dedicated every waking hour of a week to play a game, wrote the review, then moved on to the next game. Because that's how you earn a living.

For your wishes to come true, revuewers need to be paid more, and the industry is at a shoe string budget as is. Not exactly helped by ad blockers and the like. Most reviewers do it part time with other jobs as main income cause the pay sucks. Still they devote enormous amounts of free time to get reviews out, only to get shit from forum goers who know nothong about how it actually works.
People don’t shit on critics because they don’t know what it’s like to work as a game critic, they shit on reviews that aren’t accurate to what they’re experiencing when they’re playing the game.

If the pay is bad then that’s obviously a problem that needs to be solved, get a playtime counter based payment or monthly salary or whatever. I just don’t see any upsides for anyone to keep things in the future like they are right now. Do you? The static nature of day 0 reviews will be even less accurate going forward. The games as a service model with ever evolving games has just started becoming popular. Things will be a lot worse. Those who jump in day one would’ve done so with or without the review and those who jump in late will play a different game. The only ones helped by reviews going forward is publishers, if the scores are high they can use it as launch PR.

SpokkX

Hard one.. will reviews dont take multiplayer into account? Will it take promised future features into accout?

it is weird to review these service games although this one also has a real canpaign (unlike sea of thieves that got the singleplayer canpaign after 3 years - i bet it would have scored great releasing as is now..)

betting 80-85

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
I'm gonna be optimistic and say 88+ "fingers crossed"
With that budget and development time it better be a masterpiece.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Low 80s IMO. With all the backlash going on in regards to the MP "progression" and playlists, outlets won't dare give it a 90+ even if it did deserve it (which I'm not saying it does as I haven't played it and likely won't even play it for months).

As an FPS, it could be perfect and probably still wouldn't get higher than 91-92. I expect it to get an 89-90 and generally be regarded as a very good game

Sub 70 on Metacritic.

I suspect they know the campaign won't be well-received, hence why they pushed out the very solid MP first to get people invested and keep the focus on MP.

Given the rumoured dev struggles and one year delay, I don't expect they have much belief in the campaign being a hit. In fact, I think it'll be a bit of a disaster.

Would love to be wrong though.

elliot5

Sub 70 on Metacritic.

I suspect they know the campaign won't be well-received, hence why they pushed out the very solid MP first to get people invested and keep the focus on MP.

Given the rumoured dev struggles and one year delay, I don't expect they have much belief in the campaign being a hit. In fact, I think it'll be a bit of a disaster.

Would love to be wrong though.
is that why they have given it to press for like 3 weeks to dissect it and go through it for as long as possible rather than keep it under wraps until launch?????

i literally cannot fathom that logical connection
You don't have to.

Not sure why you're trying to pretend that a game being given to reviewers early to give them time to write their reviews, isn't standard practice and can't be taken as an indication of anything.

Last edited:

elliot5

You don't have to.

Not sure why you're trying to pretend that a game being given to reviewers early to give them time to write their reviews, isn't standard practice and can't be taken as an indication of anything.
Reviews often aren't given that far in advance nor do they allow everyone to make as many preview videos as they'd like of the content within the allowed preview space... it shows confidence more than anything

Top Bottom