• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 1 on PC; another casualty added to the list of bad ports?

SolidQ

13f215b5036fc2990349313ed35c19c8.png

Black Joel
f119430cd7c3fd5c0fa530afef5db76f.jpg

Disco :messenger_horns:
c769dd76434901802829068a9d7e11e2.jpg

kingyala

Banned
Little Big Planet and Returnal were first. Both were fixed quickly, and both are great.

I’m not sweating it, I know it’ll be fixed. Besides, I’m getting over 100fps at 1440p and high settings, so it’s not I’m suffering. It’s just that it can be optimized a hell of a lot more. Especially on the CPU side of things, which is a bit puzzling considering PS5 uses a 3700X equivalent.
little big planet is a crossgen game and returnal isnt a graphics whore like last of us 1... none of those games require 16gb memory budgets or heavy decompression

I just don't understand what's going on here. My 3070 runs the game worse than the PS5. There has to be some major ram wastage going on here.

Guilty_AI

returnal doesnt saturate 16gb of memory it doesnt do much interms of graphics...i could argue it can run on a ps4 at 30fps and lower res effects.. returnal is fillrate, bandwidth and a compute heavy game because of the physics and particles so it isnt hard to port to a pc and its a piece of cake for high compute px gpu's but last of us remake is a native game made by naughty dog people criminally known to push hardware to the limits... last 2 remake characters are what returnal uses on its pre rendered cgi scenes
now you're just talking out of your duck balls. Neither of us has any clue about the precise development details of either one to be able to say any of this.

What we do know is that iron galaxy botched ports before, that this game doesn't do anything extraordinary in game terms (linear, not many enemies/npcs on screen, small levels, etc) and that this still works poorly even on lower settings. Don't try to blame pc architecture here, its clearly a shitty port and thats all there is to it.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

So do PS4 versions installed natively, that does not mean it's utilizing the Zlib/Kraken setup potential and full saturation. Standard decompression streams are still used in most games. Indies especially.
And how do we know its using to its fullest or not without looking at the source code? Returnal gloats on its own ps store page how it uses the ps5 streaming architechture to its advantage.

Its a bad port people, an actual bad port and not that dumb stuff i see people complaining about in other releases. Hopefully it'll get fixed.

Last edited:
Nixxes is probably working on the Part 2 port for when they launch the native PS5 app for it, and/or Factions PC port.
Lol why would another dev be working on a game with the same engine as this game. Iron Galaxy is working on part two and factions no doubt.

Last edited:

kingyala

Banned
now you're just talking out of your duck balls. Neither of us has any clue about the precise development details of either one to be able to say any of this.

What we do know is that iron galaxy botched ports before, that this game doesn't do anything extraordinary in game terms (linear, not many enemies/npcs on screen, small levels, etc) and that this still works poorly even on lower settings. Don't try to blame pc architecture here, its clearly a shitty port and thats all there is to it.
returnal is a procedural level game it uses more of the same repeated assets on each level and yes anybody who understands computer graphics can tell which one uses more memory, the last of us has more shaders,textures, materials and polygons per scene any blind man can see that... memory has nothing to do with how linear or open world a game is... what matters is what is on screen/ scene...

How do u think games like gta san andreas ran on ps2 with only 32mb ram... doesnt mean the whole world is on memory at once.. it streams and deletes some assets in everytime you move.. to keep the memory budgets... it doesnt mean an open world game uses more ram than a linear one.. even a boxing game can use more meory than an assassins creed game.. coming to this game naughty dog are notorious for pushing hardware to the limit and this game is no exception.. the problem is whenever devs do this and it doesnt work properly on ur fancy pink new pc... u start moaning and crying online on how bad the devs are... its called reality mate stop moaning and accept it.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
It's too bad that Naughty Dog didn't bother with RTX IO or Direct Storage/GPU decompression. They're both available and have been for a while. This would have been an excellent showcase but it seems no one wants to tackle them. Only one game used Direct Storage so far and that was back in January.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And how do we know its using to its fullest or not without looking at the source code? Returnal gloats on its own ps store page how it uses the ps5 streaming architechture to its advantage.
It's also not a memory saturation heavy game assets wise. Not all engines are created the same, of course you know this. And yes, ND addressed the port issues.

Lol why would another dev be working on a game with the same engine as this game. Iron Galaxy is working on part two and factions no doubt.
Just spit-balling with release window timings of the show, etc., but you are probably right. If the game was handed off late in development then IG will probably be working on the port of Part 2 from that transition and engine experience.

skit_data

Incredible how hard the ball was dropped on this port, whoever made the decision to hire Iron Galaxy and release it in this state should probably be fired.

This is not how to treat your biggest franchise, Sony.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Sony should be absolutely ashamed...and so should Naughty Dog, this is far worse than Assassins creed unity.

Effing embarrassing! Not how they should be treating this game at all.

Now we are at $4K? Damn PC gaming price estimations are going out of control.

BTW I don't suffer from anything of what you pointed, sometimes I get a bad port with some weird stuff like Quantum Break not being able to run above 1440p because shadows or lighting started flickering randomly but that's it.

Hyperbole is strong in haters, all these problems they mention are mostly because of rushed releases or inexperienced devs with PC, I barely play anything on day one so I don't get any if these issues and yet get all the benefits of PC gaming.

It's the same everytime. I'd call them delusional fanboys instead of haters. Always chewing on whatever scrap of bones that they can get their hands on. These threads always age like shit. Life goes on. 99% of everything AAA/multiplats/whatever is on desktop PC machines and whatever issues some have due to shitty port jobs by its developers (always blame the dev, not the fucking hardware so you don't look like a completely clueless buffon) get fixed sooner rather than later if the game(s) are good and worth playing.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

returnal is a procedural level game it uses more of the same repeated assets on each level and yes anybody who understands computer graphics can tell which one uses more memory, the last of us has more shaders,textures, materials and polygons per scene any blind man can see that... memory has nothing to do with how linear or open world a game is... what matters is what is on screen/ scene...

How do u think games like gta san andreas ran on ps2 with only 32mb ram... doesnt mean the whole world is on memory at once.. it streams and deletes some assets in everytime you move.. to keep the memory budgets... it doesnt mean an open world game uses more ram than a linear one.. even a boxing game can use more meory than an assassins creed game.. coming to this game naughty dog are notorious for pushing hardware to the limit and this game is no exception.. the problem is whenever devs do this and it doesnt work properly on ur fancy pink new pc... u start moaning and crying online on how bad the devs are... its called reality mate stop moaning and accept it.
Except none of what you said is a certainty. You can have samey-looking scenarios that still require lots of memory and data streaming, 10gb of rock-textures will still be 10gb of data that need streaming.

Again, as long as you don't have the correct detailed knowledge of how those games were developed and ported, your speculation on whats causing these problems don't make any sense.

kingyala

Banned
Except none of what you said is a certainty. You can have samey-looking scenarios that still require lots of memory and data streaming, 10gb of rock-textures will still be 10gb of data that need streaming.

Again, as long as you don't have the correct detailed knowledge of how those games were developed and ported, your speculation on whats causing these problems don't make any sense.
ok since ur hard headed why dont u load up returnal and read the vram usage vs last of us 1

Guilty_AI

It's also not a memory saturation heavy game assets wise. Not all engines are created the same, of course you know this. And yes, ND addressed the port issues.
Neither should be this one in theory, with small levels and little going on on screen. Everything indicates bad bad port. I have no clue why you and others are even trying to argue otherwise when thats clear as day.

Or rather, my initial comment was merely correcting an user saying this was the first ps5 only game port, then you both started to argue unrelated things as if you're trying to prove something.

ok since ur hard headed why dont u load up returnal and read the vram usage vs last of us 1
How about you actually look at benchmarks and see Returnal maxing out vram usage in max settings/same res on different cards with different vram amounts, and still running fine? Its called making good use of available resources, something TLoU port clearly doesn't do. Or rather, it seems there might be even memory leaks in it. Sorry but its becoming increasingly obvious you have no clue how any of this work, so just take the L and drop it.

Last edited:

Gaiff

It's the same everytime. I'd call them delusional fanboys instead of haters. Always chewing on whatever scrap of bones that they can get their hands on. These threads always age like shit. Life goes on. 99% of everything AAA/multiplats/whatever is on desktop PC machines and whatever issues some have due to shitty port jobs by its developers (always blame the dev, not the fucking hardware so you don't look like a completely clueless buffon) get fixed sooner rather than later if the game(s) are good and worth playing.
Lol always the same trollish bullshit. "$10000 PC to match the PS5".

Just noticed the game has already been cracked.

And the cracked version has the patch + other unnoficial fixes...so it runs better than if you'd bought the game LOL

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
you have to realise this is the first nextgen only game ported to pc from ps5... its even harder to port playstation games since they use a different api and the hardware is also more proprietary... compared to xbox where you have direct x and a similar hardware arrangement as a pc the sony machines are always peculiar and naughty dog are known to push sony consoles and im sure they used complete to the metal coding on this game to push as much as they could on ps5.. and porting that to pc is a nightmare... besides the memory budgets this game also uses oodle texture compression which utilizes the ps5 io hardware and this could also be handled different on pc...
So far we have:
- The Medium
- Forspoken
- A Plague Tale Requiem
- Dead Space Remake
- Returnal

And some more I can't remember. This is far from being the first current gen only have on PC, nor even PS5 exclusive ported, btw.

I totally get your point though, I think MS got smart enough by unifying their development environment, I was thinking devs don't care about using SFS, and other stuff on Xbox due to they thinking it's not worth it, considering most copies day 1 are from PS5, but maybe they should start using them alongside DirectStorage on PC due to PC needing to use an the tools for current gen only game, that or keep getting review bombed by day 1 buyers complaining about performance.

kingyala

Banned
Neither should be this one in theory, with small levels and little going on on screen. Everything indicates bad bad port. I have no clue why you and others are even trying to argue otherwise when thats clear as day.

Or rather, my initial comment was merely correcting an user saying this was the first ps5 only game port, then you both started to argue unrelated things as if you're trying to prove something.

How about you actually look at benchmarks and see Returnal maxing out vram usage in max settings/same res on different cards with different vram amounts, and still running fine? Its called making good use of available resources, something TLoU port clearly doesn't do. Or rather, it seems there might be even memory leaks in it. Sorry but its becoming increasingly obvious you have no clue how any of this work, so just take the L and drop it.
returnal maxes out vram because of raytracing the ps5 settings dont include raytracing, you cant just make good use of any depleted resources it is why we have video game generations your cheapvram capaacity is dead and its time to upgrade so stop moaning

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

returnal maxes out vram because of raytracing the ps5 settings dont include raytracing, you cant just make good use of any depleted resources it is why we have video game generations your cheapvram capaacity is dead and its time to upgrade so stop moaning
i don't think you understood a single word i said....

Also, 12gb vram here, and i don't even set games beyond 1080p/1440p anyway, so no issues on that end here.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

U build and port games around the architecture. There is absolute no reason last of use should use more at max settings then 8gb of v-ram and 16gb of memory. It uses more because the port is just god awful.

At the end of the day the consumer will decide on buying the game or not, and steam reviews will not do sony any favor. And honestly from what i saw on the screen, the v-ram requirement is laughable and they can expect a refund galore because of it.

.hacked

game defaulted to ultra setting for me (5800x3d, 7900xt, 32gb ram) and the prolog was a stuttering mess at 1440p and that was after I let it load the shaders for over an hour. Game might need a patch.

kingyala

Banned
i don't think you understood a single word i said....

Also, 12gb vram here, and i don't even set games beyond 1080p/1440p anyway, so no issues on my end.
yes vram has nothing to do with resolution.. it just seems you dont understand how memory works... just because you run a game at 1080p doesnt mean it uses less vram.. last of us remake is designed for a ps5 it isnt crossgen this means it requires 12gb+ of vram minimum anything less causes problems and this happens every generation... its nothing to do with optmiziation, its not some switch you just dial down and support 8gb. if that was possible then theres no reason for ps5 only games everything will be crossgen all the way to ps3 since you can just dial stuff down.

In any new generation the bottleneck is always memory its why it incrreases with every itteration you can virtually make any ps5 game work on ps4 but the bottleneck will be memory budgets so its why they skip crossgen and go straight up making a ps5 port. this is the same effect on pc .. you have a game designed for 12gb vram requirements and therefore a problem on 8gb cards and its like ur basically trying to fit a 9 inch d in the wrong hole. you will have to lower alot of settings that makes the game worthless for it to run under12gb

kingyala

Banned
So far we have:
- The Medium
- Forspoken
- A Plague Tale Requiem
- Dead Space Remake
- Returnal

And some more I can't remember. This is far from being the first current gen only have on PC, nor even PS5 exclusive ported, btw.

I totally get your point though, I think MS got smart enough by unifying their development environment, I was thinking devs don't care about using SFS, and other stuff on Xbox due to they thinking it's not worth it, considering most copies day 1 are from PS5, but maybe they should start using them alongside DirectStorage on PC due to PC needing to use an the tools for current gen only game, that or keep getting review bombed by day 1 buyers complaining about performance.
a plague tale was a multiplat designed for pc ps5 and series x, the medium was also a multiplat and that game doesnt require any big memory budgets, dead space is a multiplat, returnal is a ps5 exclusive though it doesnt require much more graphics memory than last of us 1... this is the first nextgen only port that pushed ps5 to the limit that weve seen ported to pc yet.. i dont consider forspoken since the graphics and the memory footprint doesnt correlate

Very likely, yeah. People will ride it out for a few years but a good chunk will ditch it for a 5070 or 5080 due to the lack of VRAM for 4K gaming. I was never a big fan of that card because it had 1GB less than the 1080 Ti and suspected that it would become a problem but honestly didn't think it would happen so soon. I thought by the time it would be an issue, the card would be almost a relic so it wouldn't have mattered.
Yup. Waiting to see what the 50 series brings, hoping that AMD brings the competition though as I’d buy one of their cards if the price to performance ratio is better value than the Nvidia offering.

Gaiff

yes vram has nothing to do with resolution..
I'm sorry but fucking what? Then you have the nerve to tell him that "it seems that you don't know how memory works".
not by that much.. textures, physics and lighting affect more vram that some screen resolution.. the more data processed in a scene the more the memory budget a ps5 game at 1080p isnt the same game on a ps4 at 1080p
Nice goalpost shifting. You realized how utterly stupid this claim was and now try to toe a line but this is just as idiotic. Yes, VRAM has a lot to do with resolution. It's clear as day you don't have the faintest idea what the hell you're talking about.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

not by that much.. textures, physics and lighting affect more vram that some screen resolution.. the more data processed in a scene the more the memory budget a ps5 game at 1080p isnt the same game on a ps4 at 1080p
You need to take the L and move on bubba

So anyway, think we're going to get The Last of Us 2 on PC after all of this? Game no longer shows on top sellers which is INSANE for such a huge name, not on trending either, no banners, nothing. They literally killed their sales with one swoop.

Schmendrick

You rarely see this much obvious generic bullshit coming from a single source presented with such confidence outside of an AI Chat. This kingyala guy is probably just transcribing chat GPT answers....

Last edited:
Top Bottom