• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 1 on PC; another casualty added to the list of bad ports?

tmlDan

The entire point of playing on PC is the better performance, which the platform absolutely provides given competent developers. Naughty Dog is already scrambling to patch TLOU per their Twitter account. That shows it’s a software problem, not a platform problem.

The delay and subsequent poor quality shows they were struggling. Again, look at RE4’s great release from a developer that has experience with RE engine games on PC for the last several years…I’m getting >80FPS maxxed out at native 4K. It can scale to run on a handheld. There’s your actual PC performance difference when someone knows what they’re doing. Naughty Dog or whoever handled the port just sucked at it
No, whether its a smudgy display from "solutions" like DLSS, whether its unreal engine stuttering, whether it's massive drops in FPS, memory leaks, etc. Those are VERY common in almost every game.

Games should work flawlessly out of the box when you spend 2-4k on a PC and they just don't. You have to play with settings to get it to work kinda good. Yes, FPS is better once you fix it, but it's not worth the tradeoff.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No, you’re calling me out. And I’m calling you clueless.
I never even tagged you, retard.

artworks-000564589388-nuq0w0-t500x500.jpg

VFX guy was notorious for this narrative.
No, you’re calling me out. And I’m calling you clueless.
Fried Rice Cooking GIF by Nigel Ng (Uncle Roger)

Last edited:

Thaedolus

This can be said about every platform.
Many games release on consoles with poor performance without the graphics to back it up.
Tecmo's/From soft games have no excuse for their resolution or performance issues on any platform.
I agree completely. My point is that the poor performance seen in PC ports isn’t due to an inherent flaw in the platform. Nor is subpar console performance. Developers should have a handle on what consoles can do, and how to utilize PC APIs or whatever to scale games on PC. Many do, so the tools are there. Some don’t, which shows they’re not utilizing the tools available like other developers do. The blame falls on the developers that don’t utilize the resources available to them, not any individual platform.

Reactions: TGO

tmlDan

And poor IQ, poor frame rate, high input lag, deadzones, lower/missing graphics effects are common in every console game.
i don't agree with poor FPS (esp current gen, we get a ton of 60 fps options in most games, stable frames are more important than higher) and I am not sure what you mean when you say poor IQ? but the rest is pretty common, yes.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
i don't agree with poor FPS (esp current gen, we get a ton of 60 fps options in most games, stable frames are more important than higher) and I am not sure what you mean when you say poor IQ? but the rest is pretty common, yes.
60 fps is not the limit on PC + you sacrifice IQ and/or graphics effects to achieve 60fps on consoles. The 60fps mode of TLOU runs at 1440p.

Those problem on console are almost never fixed, while on PC is the opposite. ND is already fixing some problems.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
60 fps is not the limit on PC + you sacrifice IQ and/or graphics effects to achieve 60fps on consoles. The 60fps of TLOU mode runs at 1440p.
1440p is the bees knees tho for a massive segment of PC gamers. Swaths of them were wanting 1440p support for their monitors on these consoles.

yurinka

I had assumed the reason they were bought instead of hired was because they had a larger than normal amount of resources to take on quite a few porting projects at once. So far I don't see why they weren't just hired per project like Jetpack and IronGalaxy have been

For comparison Bluepoint pushed out SOTC Remake in a little over 2 years and then Demons Souls in a year and a half,and those were ground up remakes. So yeah was expecting Nixxes to come in hot like that
Sony bought Nixxes to get an internal team focused on porting games to PC, and to don't depend only on external porting studios and to don't put their 1st party gamedevs to port old games to PC but instead to keep them focused on making new games for PS.

Nixxes were 55 people last year. Valkyrie were 45 people last year. Bluepoint had 69 people. Iron Galaxy has 3 studios and 250 people. Unlike Bluepoint, all the other ones did work in multiple projects at the same time.

image.png

According to Moby Games:
SotC (PS2) game credits: 262 People (225 developers, 37 thanks)
SotC (PS4) game credits: 748 People (702 developers, 46 thanks)
Demon's Souls (PS3) game credits: 250 People (230 developers, 20 thanks)
Demon's Souls (PS5) game credits: 1,457 People (1,388 developers, 69 thanks)

The resources needed to make a PC port are way smaller than the ones needed for a remake. In addition to the people from the lead studio, like in the other AAA games the Bluepoint remakes not only were developed by the lead studio or the Japan Studio support and overview: they had a big amount of outsourced external studios helping them.

The Bluepoint required a couple years and hundreds of people to make a remake. The PC ports required a handful dozen people each and Nixxes released two of them in a bit more than a year after being acquired.

Last edited:

MarkyG

Wow, something is so so messed up with TLOU for me. I noticed a 35mb patch had downloaded, so I launched the game. Immediately, my CPU cooler fans went into overdrive and my temp shot up to the 80s. Alt+F4'd that sucker straight away!

Stuart360

And so it begins. Probably nothing of course can hardly fix anything in a day

Some poeple were saying it fixes the controller support problem with some controllers (although it didnt for me), but its not verified. Its causing more crashes and graphical problems for some poeple on Steam though lol, could be in their head though.

Also imagine a console port having controller support problems. Its pretty funny really.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Chalk up another game to the no buy list.

Honestly, this great since I have no self-control and would probably buy this, if it was a good port, and just throw it on top of my backlog pile.

rofif

Banned
LOL, been sitting here for 5 minutes.
lol that aside, the low pc settings make it look like shit.... and I remember being very impressed with the graphics last year and I was even defending 70$ price. Now it looks like a low effort remake. I need to launch it again....

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
No, whether its a smudgy display from "solutions" like DLSS, whether its unreal engine stuttering, whether it's massive drops in FPS, memory leaks, etc. Those are VERY common in almost every game.

Games should work flawlessly out of the box when you spend 2-4k on a PC and they just don't. You have to play with settings to get it to work kinda good. Yes, FPS is better once you fix it, but it's not worth the tradeoff.
A console gamer calling DLSS smudgy is peak irony.

Sygma

Game eats up 11-12gb of vram consistently and 20gb of ram. It also likes having 12+ cores to run well

Its the early days of console to pc ports, kind reminder of the really atrocious first couples of x360 ports

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

DLSS mod in RE4 literally makes it look cleaner and sharper than Native 4k.

Kvally

Banned
People need to have more patience. Wait for the patches, the game isn't going to be gone. Or, play it on the PS5 like the rest of us console peasants have :)

hinch7

We're getting ports from next generation engines now targeting higher specs on consoles. 12GB VRAM and 32GB RAM should the bare minumum people should be aiming for in 2023, particularly those who want max settings.

Last edited:

Schmendrick

Its the early days of console to pc ports, kind reminder of the really atrocious first couples of x360 ports
Back then they at least had an excuse with the architectures being vastly different.. This time around it just smells of sheer incompetence.

Kataploom

Gold Member

Now we are at $4K? Damn PC gaming price estimations are going out of control.

BTW I don't suffer from anything of what you pointed, sometimes I get a bad port with some weird stuff like Quantum Break not being able to run above 1440p because shadows or lighting started flickering randomly but that's it.

Hyperbole is strong in haters, all these problems they mention are mostly because of rushed releases or inexperienced devs with PC, I barely play anything on day one so I don't get any if these issues and yet get all the benefits of PC gaming.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol loading times on PC are a minute. On PS5 with slower SSDs, they are 15 seconds.

Amazing.

Also, difference between high and ultra settings is only 12-14%.

Screenshot2023032921.png

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It’s a shame because there certainly was a lot of effort put into this just by looking at the settings on offer, and unbelievable controller support. They literally let you configure for Dualsense, Xbox, Steam controller, and even the Xbox controller for special needs players.

When they fix this, it’s going to be one the better PC ports out there.

MikeM

Now we are at $4K? Damn PC gaming price estimations are going out of control.

BTW I don't suffer from anything of what you pointed, sometimes I get a bad port with some weird stuff like Quantum Break not being able to run above 1440p because shadows or lighting started flickering randomly but that's it.

Hyperbole is strong in haters, all these problems they mention are mostly because of rushed releases or inexperienced devs with PC, I barely play anything on day one so I don't get any if these issues and yet get all the benefits of PC gaming.
Depends where you live. A rtx4090 is around $2,100 CAD alone before tax.

kingyala

Banned
I know its just annoying seeing people on here, and Steam etc, say stuff like 'you need 16gb of vram minimum to run games these days', or you need at least a 30 Series Nvidia card to get 60fps at 1080p in modern games', etc.
All bollocks.
PC users, including poeple with 'high end' systems, need to swallow their pride somethimes and turn down settings, or reolution, or play at 60fps if its a single player game, etc.
problem is this didnt have to be this way if nvidia didnt intentionally put 8gb on theitr cards knowing fully well it wasnt enough and whats more painful is some 8gb cards cost mabout or more than a ps5 but cant run games on ps5 settings...

basically nvidia knows a 2080 is enough for most users to run games this gen and most people wont be insentivised to purchase any nextgen gpu if it wasnt for the 8gb vram cap... it was a very smart bet for them... cause if they put 12/16 gb vram from 2080 series onwards then most people will be fine with that... since they caould just run games on console settings as it was intended.. and now your left with a very few customers who will be interested in 4080s and 90s... its the usual tap business.. Dont give the customer everything at once, especially if you sell new products every year.... consoles target 5-10 year cycles so its why they give you everything they could at once but gpu makers have 1 year cycles so giving u a good all round gpu at 500$ is unacceptable.

kingyala

Banned
It’s a shame because there certainly was a lot of effort put into this just by looking at the settings on offer, and unbelievable controller support. They literally let you configure for Dualsense, Xbox, Steam controller, and even the Xbox controller for special needs players.

When they fix this, it’s going to be one the better PC ports out there.
you have to realise this is the first nextgen only game ported to pc from ps5... its even harder to port playstation games since they use a different api and the hardware is also more proprietary... compared to xbox where you have direct x and a similar hardware arrangement as a pc the sony machines are always peculiar and naughty dog are known to push sony consoles and im sure they used complete to the metal coding on this game to push as much as they could on ps5.. and porting that to pc is a nightmare... besides the memory budgets this game also uses oodle texture compression which utilizes the ps5 io hardware and this could also be handled different on pc...

Guilty_AI

you have to realise this is the first nextgen only game ported to pc from ps5..
That was Returnal and the port was mostly fine (broken RT performance at launch but already got fixed).

This TLOU port is just bad. Saw some people running it with everything on low at 70 fps and even that didn't stop the camera from being visibly jittery even through the video.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
That was Returnal and the port was mostly fine (broken RT performance at launch but already got fixed).

This TLOU port is just bad. Saw some people running it with everything on low at 70 fps and even that didn't stop the camera from being all jittery.

Returnal did not use PS5 compression. Different games are made differently.

kingyala

Banned

This TLOU port is just bad. Saw some people running it with everything on low at 70 fps and even that didn't stop the camera from being all jittery.
returnal doesnt saturate 16gb of memory it doesnt do much interms of graphics...i could argue it can run on a ps4 at 30fps and lower res effects.. returnal is fillrate, bandwidth and a compute heavy game because of the physics and particles so it isnt hard to port to a pc and its a piece of cake for high compute px gpu's but last of us remake is a native game made by naughty dog people criminally known to push hardware to the limits... last 2 remake characters are what returnal uses on its pre rendered cgi scenes

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
you have to realise this is the first nextgen only game ported to pc from ps5... its even harder to port playstation games since they use a different api and the hardware is also more proprietary... compared to xbox where you have direct x and a similar hardware arrangement as a pc the sony machines are always peculiar and naughty dog are known to push sony consoles and im sure they used complete to the metal coding on this game to push as much as they could on ps5.. and porting that to pc is a nightmare... besides the memory budgets this game also uses oodle texture compression which utilizes the ps5 io hardware and this could also be handled different on pc...

Little Big Planet and Returnal were first. Both were fixed quickly, and both are great.

I’m not sweating it, I know it’ll be fixed. Besides, I’m getting over 100fps at 1440p and high settings, so it’s not like I’m suffering. It’s just that it can be optimized a hell of a lot more. Especially on the CPU side of things, which is a bit puzzling considering PS5 uses a 3700X equivalent.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If we're talking about the same thing here, every game will use that decompression chip because thats just how the ps5 architecture works.
So do PS4 versions installed natively, that does not mean it's utilizing the Zlib/Kraken setup potential and full saturation. Standard decompression streams are still used in most games. Indies especially.

Last edited:
Top Bottom