• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 1 on PC; another casualty added to the list of bad ports?

Pedro Motta

5.28% of Steam users on the optional survey have a 1060.
Yeah it's even worse than that, people are probably trying to play it with integrated Intel Graphics. Don't understand if you were trying some kind of gotcha with me.

Even with 5.28% the 1060 is still one of the most used dedicated GPUs on steam.

Nixxes is probably working on the Part 2 port for when they launch the native PS5 app for it, and/or Factions PC port.
Factions I can understand, but Part 2? There is a 0% chance that it will sell as much as the first game, given it's mixed reception from players. Just the other day I watched a streamer play the game for the first time, excited to see where the series would go after watching the TV show... and she ended up quitting a few hours in.

Again, it was a very poor decision not to give Nixxes the better and more important game.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Factions I can understand, but Part 2? There is a 0% chance that it will sell as much as the first game, given it's mixed reception from players. Just the other day I watched a streamer play the game for the first time, excited to see where the series would go after watching the TV show... and she ended up quitting a few hours in.

Again, it was a very poor decision not to give Nixxes the better and more important game.
I think they will leverage it around the time Season 2 comes out on HBO. The first season gave Part 1 a boost.

Perhaps it's doing shader compilation in the background?
Youre not wrong. Based on steam reviews, there are reports of compilation taking an hour. Not sure if real but if it does happen in the background while youre playing that would explain the stutters, low framerates, etc.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol From a TLOU PC benchmark video on youtube. 5 fps! And here i thought the PS5 struggling to hold 40 fps at native 4k was bad. Do we know what the PS5 equivalent settings are? Cant be ultra, right?

dgEhfhw.jpg

3060 outperforming a 3080. God Nvidia sucks.

Rush2112

Banned
Playing PlayStation games on PC is like ordering a steak at a Mexican restaurant.

Sure, it's passable, but if you want the best experience, go to where they're known for steak. Similarly, don't order the enchiladas at the steak restaurant.

We've seen this over and over. Sony makes games for PlayStation hardware. Later, thet get them to run on PC. But, it's clearly not the focus.
You obviously haven’t played a PS game on a high end PC At max setting. Don’t understand what games have to do with steaks and enchiladas either. I’m calling false analogy.

Last edited:
You obviously haven’t played a PS game on a high end PC At max setting. Don’t understand what games have to do with steaks and enchiladas either. I’m calling false analogy.
I've heard the people with high-end PCs complaining about how bad the ports are for almost every PS4/PS5 port.

M1987

lol From a TLOU PC benchmark video on youtube. 5 fps! And here i thought the PS5 struggling to hold 40 fps at native 4k was bad. Do we know what the PS5 equivalent settings are? Cant be ultra, right?

dgEhfhw.jpg

3060 outperforming a 3080. God Nvidia sucks.
I thought DLSS 3 was locked to the 4000 series

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I am having issues with controller, where I hold a stick and the characters stops moving it is super frustrating

GHG

Gold Member
But what if it brought the OG reveal look and animations with it?

We have enough launchers already as it is and I have zero faith in Sony being competent enough to put out software that isn't a bloated useless piece of shit.

*shudders in Walkman software*

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
We have enough launchers already as it is and I have zero faith in Sony being competent enough to put out software that isn't a bloated useless piece of shit.

*shudders in Walkman software*
Ooooh, I did not mean a PC app, I meant a native PS5 version and a PC version that will be ported from.

Reactions: GHG

Yerd

I'm more shocked over steams definition of similar games when I check it on the store.

Screenshot-20230328-202003.jpg

I mean. I think I only made it about half way through on ps4, but I wouldn't say there's similarities behind these two games gameplay wise.
You play as a person. Things attack you. It's on earth. It's fiction. I could go on for years like this.

Midn1ght

Are you aware that all the talk about pc gamers being master racers or only being able to have a good experience playing on pc or constantly repeating that consoles are weak and limit the quality of the games... it's something from the pc gaming community right?

It's normal that people laugh when a game works worse or you need to spend 4 times more to have the same experience on their platform that they boast about.

Who do you think really need to justify their spending?
Fanboy and elitist are equally stupid I agree.

My neighbor using his garden as a landfill doesn't mean I need to start shitting in my tomatoes though.

GHG

Gold Member
Ooooh, I did not mean a PC app, I meant a native PS5 version and a PC version that will be ported from.

Oh gotcha. I'm so traumatised from Sony's previous windows software that I can't deal with the thought of them forcing their own launcher on us.

But no to a PS5 native version of TLOU2 as well though. I think the patched PS4 version is more than good enough. But I'm sure they will milk everyone regardless.

Buggy Loop

Yeah it's even worse than that, people are probably trying to play it with integrated Intel Graphics. Don't understand if you were trying some kind of gotcha with me.

Even with 5.28% the 1060 is still one of the most used dedicated GPUs on steam.

?

Even with this outdated chart, ampere series is #1 on Steam.

percentage-of-users-according-to-the-steam-hardware-survey-v0-1ru4foykc6s91.png

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Oh gotcha. I'm so traumatised from Sony's previous windows software that I can't deal with the thought of them forcing their own launcher on us.

But no to a PS5 native version of TLOU2 as well though. I think the patched PS4 version is more than good enough. But I'm sure they will milk everyone regardless.
They do have Season 2 & 3 coming to HBO. If they ever do make one, they need to use the original gameplay reveal trailer animations and NPCs.

GHG

Gold Member
They do have Season 2 & 3 coming to HBO. If they ever do make one, they need to use the original gameplay reveal trailer animations and NPCs.

I think they will need to add some new content and/or integrate some DLC for it to be viable and not piss people off to insane degrees.

drotahorror

Ehh, sounds like most PC games at launch these days.

Here's a guide how not to run into these issues:

1)Wait 6 months
2)Buy the game
3)??????
4)Profit.

People keep buying games day one and then make a surprised Pikachu face.

If everyone did this the game industry would no doubt suffer.

Sometimes people like to support a company and buy a game day 1.

The day one and week 1 buyers are the reason people get sequels to their favorite games.

This whole situation is Sonys fault and shame on them for using Iron Galaxy. One of the worst pc port devs you can hire.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
You play as a person. Things attack you. It's on earth. It's fiction. I could go on for years like this.
That means that literally 99% of Steam is like TLOU.

Genres are defined by type of game, not because you play as a person.

Fallout is an RPG.

Whats RPG about TLOU?

Would have made more sense to suggest another third person game

Puscifer

LOL at you fools looking like even more fools when they patch this shit up and everyones going to be happy even people with less VRAM. LOL imagine thinking a linear game requires more VRAM than an open-world game with full raytracing on.

Cmon.

Also, 4080 reporting in. I thought I was just sitting around 80 because of the RE 4 demo, damn near 120 fps, the refresh rate of my C2 without even updating the drivers from February. They did a DAMN good job at it, 4K, ray traced and great performance scaling.

kingyala

Banned
PS5 has 16 GB total and if its anything like last gen, its actually only 13 GB for games. Of course, we dont know because sony has kept it top secret for some reason. XSX uses 2.5 GB. So at best, it has 13.5 GB available and it needs to split that with the CPU tasks as well. also your screenshot shows 16 GB vram plus 22 GB system ram. A PS5 game that can run on 13 GB of RAM shouldnt need 38 GB of RAM on PC. THats just poor optimization.
how do you know the ps5 uses io streaming and the heavy decompression... this means you need more memory on pc to counter balance that

Yerd

That means that literally 99% of Steam is like TLOU.

Genres are defined by type of game, not because you play as a person.

Fallout is an RPG.

Whats RPG about TLOU?

Would have made more sense to suggest another third person game
I can see you're still not convinced.
You can walk or run. You can crouch. There are guns. There are buildings. There are words to read. You can use a controller.

It's pretty much the exact same game.

drotahorror

Last edited:

kingyala

Banned
I find ir funny how csome people will claim that every game that uses more than 8Gb of vram is poorly optimized. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
this happens because most people are new to gaming or dont understand how games work, they think everything is about teraflops and pc master race should always win... im not sure theyve seen previous generation switches... anybody who understands gaming knows you have to match your pc gpu vram allocation to what consoles of that generations are packing.... ps4 had 8gb this is the reason alot of gpu's had 8gb and ps5 has 16gb so you have to match that on pc aswell, this doesnt even account for io decompression...

Midn1ght

The day one and week 1 buyers are the reason people get sequels to their favorite games.
Mindlessly buying mediocre or broken games at launch is also why a part of the industry is stuck with average sequels, remakes, remasters, spinoffs and less and less new stuff. It's also why these days, these devs and publishers release broken and unfinished games with no fear whatsoever.

It's all about the hype machine, selling as much as possible the first two week and moving on.

Not everybody wants to support this business model, broken games receiving trash reviews and being massively refunded on Steam is a good thing.
Sony usually fix their ports but it's not the first time this happens. If they keep this reputation of releasing poorly optimized games at launch, people will inevitably pass on the preorder and wait for fixes and discount. People are not starving for games on PC.

Also, when someone actually does a good job on PC, it usually pays out big time.

RE4: Also a $59.99 Remake
32k reviews - 97% positive
168k All-Time Peak
Massive Success

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Game is rebuilding my shaders. I don’t understand. It did that earlier today. I just never started a playthrough.

Game is also defaulting medium textures and other details. It is a noticeable downgrade from high.

Top Bottom