• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part I - PS5 - Coming September 2 (PC version in development)

BbMajor7th

Gold Member
It looks good. I'll likely play it. However, I can't pretend that I'm not disappointed that ND's first three games on PS5 are remasters/remakes of games they already released on PS4. They used to drop a new IP every gen - they've now been rinsing the same two IPs for three generations straight and the overlap between the two has only gotten bigger - bung some crafting into Uncharted and some wall climbing into TLOU and we're basically there.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
avFHJg0.jpg
The difference is night and day. Good shit.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
At the rate Sony is churning out these remakes and remasters, I wouldn't be surprised if PS6 launches with a TLoU Re-Remastered edition. This is getting ridiculous lmao.
Given the trend, it would be more surprising if they didn't.

I'm surprised they dont re-do other franchises. It seems LoU they like redoing as a main priority. They got other franchises they can remaster for the first time. I guess LoU is such a big seller, might as well do it again (like how every time a new movie format comes out Terminator 2 is always one of the first to get redone). Also, sincre they are focusing on PC a lot, a LoU 1 remaster will lead into LoU 2 on PC. So kill two birds with one stone.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
And RE4 is an ACTUAL remake.
That’s my point, it’s RE4R is just way more exciting, I already played first TLOU multiple times, I just don’t feel I need to drop that much money for this.

Also just love RE4 waaaay more than TLOU

Last edited:
It looks good. I'll likely play it. However, I can't pretend that I'm not disappointed that ND's first three games on PS5 are remasters/remakes of games they already released on PS4. They used to drop a new IP every gen - they've now been rinsing the same two IPs for three generations straight and the overlap between the two has only gotten bigger - bung some crafting into Uncharted and some wall climbing into TLOU and we're basically there.

Uncharted is oversaturated for sure. TLOU only has two games so it's not at all.

I'd be making a new IP and more TLOU going forward which I'm sure is what they will do.

Hell some studios only make games within the same IP across every generation.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Stop trolling the thread, nobody cares you don’t like this game and ND gameplay.

:messenger_grinning_sweat:

Ironically, it's one of my favourite video games ever. Just not for the gameplay. Gameplay sucks. Shooting? Meh. Stealth? Joke. Environmental puzzles? LOL. Exploration? What exploration?

Story, characters, graphics, cinematics, music (OMG the Gustavo Santaolalla score!), atmosphere. It's all amazing.

If you don't care about my opinion just ignore me and STFU.

Faithless83

Banned
Is a business.
...that does a horrible job at catering to their fan base. Only a moron (or someone that deep in the SJW hole) would deliberately choose to divide their fan base.
Netflix is doing a 180º on that attitude... games take a lot longer to be affected by this kind of thing due to how long the development takes.

This is 100% a remake as well. Just a much less ambitious one.
This is what happens when you remaster a game one year after it's original release and then again 9 years after original release. Diminishing returns until people start to question whether there was any improvement at all. Definitely not $70 worth of improvements in my book.

Stuart360

At the rate Sony is churning out these remakes and remasters, I wouldn't be surprised if PS6 launches with a TLoU Re-Remastered edition. This is getting ridiculous lmao.
I dont think there is a problem with what i would call 'landmark' games, or potential games of that generation, which imo this game was, at the time anyway, same with games like Skyrim, Red Dead, Halo 1, and maybe 2 or 3 others.
It keeps the games relevant, and 'current'.
I just kind of hope TLOU2 gets made into a Ellie nightmare or something, 80'S TV show style, before any potential 3rd game lol.

omegasc

Looks like Part 2 engine reworked from the ground up to PS5. Can't resist: I'll probably go infected and bite.
edit: can't wait to compare the loadings, O the loadings (too much Elden Ring)

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Some areas look better, some look only slightly touched up.

IMG_8977.jpg
Still it's rather impressive that the remake, running in realtime at 60fps, looks noticeably better than the original's pre-rendered cutscenes tbh
Also, I didn't realize just how stylized the character models were in Part 1 until now. Their proportions sort of look odd in comparison lol

It's called inflation buddy.
I think the sub services are much better priced for the upcoming recession. When gas, food and rent keep going up, $70 games are going to look pretty stupid imho. People are re-evaluating their expenses and dropping even the subs now like Netflix if they don't stay interesting.

Now's the time to invest in fish sticks and those $1.50 tostinos frozen pizzas. The market's going to explode.

Swift_Star

Banned
:messenger_grinning_sweat:

Ironically, it's one of my favourite video games ever. Just not for the gameplay. Gameplay sucks. Shooting? Meh. Stealth? Joke. Environmental puzzles? LOL. Exploration? What exploration?

Story, characters, graphics, cinematics, music (OMG the Gustavo Santaolalla score!), atmosphere. It's all amazing.

If you don't care about my opinion just ignore me and STFU.
Brady Bunch Jan GIF by MOODMAN

Nobody believes you.

CosmicComet

Some areas look better, some look only slightly touched up.

IMG_8977.jpg
Looking at some more comparisons and it does actually look better than the original but not actually a great thing, the original just looked slightly better in memory than in actuality.

The main characters look comparable. If anything I think Joel looks weaker and more timid now in his eyes. But the clickers got a huge upgrade.

Everything else is maybe...idk...15% better.

Not a PS5 looking game by any means and certainly better not take Ragnarok's slot this year.

Top Bottom