• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part II Remastered Announced + Trailer. Release Slated for January 2024

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Again, Druckmann. rent free in your heads.
this is a new hire project. druckmann has nothing to do with it.
Yeah we know, he is too busy to be making games
sub-buzz-497-1674231788-16.jpg

vivftp

🤦‍♂️

For the "why does this exist?" crowd it's quite simple:

1. PS4 game is released
2. Sony wants a PC version and thus commissions an updated version
3. As there is work being put in towards an updated version, the PS5 gets an upgraded version too. PS5 always takes precedent though, so the PS5 version comes out first with PC version later.

The PC version hasn't been announced yet (keep in mind the PS5 version leaked ahead of their planned announcement) but it's obvious to anyone paying attention that a PC version is coming.

It's something that many gamers want, and it's an additional revenue stream that doesn't require a monumental effort on NDs part. Plus in this case they apparently had a bunch of newer folks working on it to get them caught up.

They may have planned for this to land within proximity to season 2 of the HBO show but of course that got delayed due to the strikes. That's it. It's really that simple.

cybertailor

Neo Member
too bad it doesn't seem to have gotten a big visual upgrade. I hoped a remastered ps5 version would come closer to he first reveal gameplay trailer that had more realistic enemy face animations and reactions.

Yoboman

Honestly is this all Naughty dog have been doing for the past 4 years? I absolutely LOVE the studio and TLOU franchise but couldn't they have spent all this time with Part 3, a new entry in the Uncharted series or a new IP? Already put 60 hours into TLOU2 and got the platinum, I'm already burned out on these old games give us something new.
You genuinely think they spent 4 years on a port?
They are 700 people strong, more than big enough to slice off a dozen people for ports and upgrades

Puscifer

I mean its running in native 4k/60, pushing the level of fidelity it has, Id rather this PLUS that extra content which sounds intriguing than a buzzword extra processing effect that does little to improve a already stellar looking game…
I mean I hope it at least uses the cutscene assets, the quality they swap in and out of is bonkers. If not far as I'm concerned it's a cash grab

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Ok so it’s $40 now on PSN.

The upgrade is 10 to that smooth $50

The hard copies will def be $70

This is just more of a push towards digital. But you save money. Double edged sword videogame bullshit 🥳

never did. kinda thought it would release for pc

maybe they will but this time they want it give it more time so it is not broken like remake on PC

no ideas... but sad nonetheless
I think it's still coming though. Hopefully shortly after.

Edit: When it comes to releases the console is still their top priority. That's something PC users have to keep in mind.
Hmm... They will probably release PC version about time season 2 drops on HBO Max to get them sweet tv series monies- and for now PS5 playerbase only. And it looks like it isn't rushed so Nixxies may work on this one. At least that's what I thought about when I didn't saw PC release date. It seems like this is the most logical conclusion. Given the port of the first game was broken on PC or still is. And I don't think they will not drop it on PC, especially when s2 drops on HBO Max- it would be stupid, since it will definitely move some sales like it did with the first game. And by that time everyone on PS5 who was interested in upgrading or buying the native PS5 version will already buy it or upgrade.

Last edited:

Three

Gears 5
Cyberpunk
Control (sort of a mod, done by the games developer)
Witcher 3
Doom Eternal
Minecraft
No Man's Sky
Skyrim
Metro Exodus

I don't think new content should be free but there are plenty of games that have offered substantial graphical upgrades for no cost.
TLOU2 already offered graphical upgrades with the free PS5 patch akin to a lot of these. This is the remastered edition that's more about the added content. Besides it's not like we didn't just get yet another $50 rerelease of Skyrim 'Anniversary edition' so it's not even different to list. There is at least a $10 upgrade path on TLOU2 for this edition.

Last edited:

And many devs charge for content.

What's you point that they all have to add free content to their games?

I can't imagine Blood and Wine not being sold as DLC for example.

You need to accept that it costs money to develop content. They have the right to charge for it if they wish. The only real debate is whether or not the content is worth the asking price.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Developers charge for content all the time.

Resident Evil games charged you for costumes and DLC and most of the DLC content was short.
If I recall correctly, the Grand Theft Auto PS5 upgrade was $10 for a limited time.
Tony Hawk 1+2 upgrade cost $10

This doesn't count all fighters and shooters because they charge money for costumes, characters, stages, and skins.

Zathalus

TLOU2 already offered graphical upgrades with the free PS5 patch akin to a lot of these. This is the remastered edition that's more about the added content. Besides it's not like we didn't just get yet another $50 rerelease of Skyrim 'Anniversary edition' so it's not even different to list. There is at least a $10 upgrade path on TLOU2 for this edition.
The PS5 TLOU2 was absolutely nothing like any of those. They substantially upgraded the game with new graphical features in those ai listed (some more then others). The TLOU2 patch simply unlocked the frame rate. Personally I think the upgraded PS5 features that don't add new content should be free, but any new content (new levels, new model etc...) should definitely be paid for. The $10 is not the worst upgrade path ever offered, but there are plenty of examples of better ones. As for Skyrim, the Special Edition graphical upgrades were free, the Anniversary Edition added a ton of content and that was paid for (with a discount for Skyrim owners), exactly like I think it should be done.

Last edited:
Developers charge for content all the time.

Resident Evil games charged you for costumes and DLC and most of the DLC content was short.
If I recall correctly, the Grand Theft Auto PS5 upgrade was $10 for a limited time.
Tony Hawk 1+2 upgrade cost $10

This doesn't count all fighters and shooters because they charge money for costumes, characters, stages, and skins.

It's the argument that's really bothering me.

Devs are evil becuase they charge for content. Doesn't really make any sense to me because content can cost money to develop. Its great if we get it for free but there's nothing wrong with devs charging for it.

I guess what we need to focus on is the nature of the content and the price.

If this was a 60$ upgrade I can see why some would be extremely angry with it. But at 10$ it's a lot more bearable given the content they are adding to to the game.

Starfield's DLCs and expansions would be free, then? And Phantom Liberty should have been free too?

Please say, yes, as I have a few assignments that I'd like you to do for me, free of charge, of course. 🤞

I could have gone with just Oblivion GOTY edition but I paid a little more and got the Deluxe version which contains additional content.

When Oblivion came out I remember buying Shivering Isles for it. I think Knights of the Nine was free though.

Three

The PS5 TLOU2 was absolutely nothing like any of those. They substantially upgraded the game with new graphical features in those ai listed (some more then others). The TLOU2 patch simply unlocked the frame rate.As for Skyrim, the Special Edition graphical upgrades were free, the Anniversary Edition added a ton of content and that was paid for (with a discount for Skyrim owners), exactly like I think it should be done
I disagree, the patch was similar to a couple you've listed with it offering a performance mode that doubled framerate as well as other improvements like reduced load times.

As for skyrim I'm personally finding it difficult to see how that's better and how it should be done. Charging $50 for a 12 year old game or $20 for the upgrade doesn't seem like better value to me at all. No matter how many creation club mods they decide to bundle. Only those who had already paid for all DLC got the SE and still had to pay double this price to get the anniversary edition. I'm glad they didn't take that approach.

Filben

I'm not too hyped about this after how they handled the Uncharted 4 remaster. Especially since this is not a free upgrade. I also think the PS4 version holds up very well. Some RT additions would have been nice, though.

Zathalus

I disagree, the patch was similar to a couple you've listed with it offering a performance mode that doubled framerate as well as other improvements like reduced load times.

As for skyrim I'm personally finding it difficult to see how that's better and how it should be done. Charging $50 for a 12 year old game or $20 for the upgrade doesn't seem like better value to me at all. No matter how many creation club mods they decide to bundle. Only those who had already paid for all DLC got the SE and still had to pay double this price to get the anniversary edition. I'm glad they didn't take that approach.
The reduced load times was because you are running the game on the PS5, not because the patch did anything. It literally changed the FPS cap from 30 to 60. That's it.

And Skyrim was obviously the better path, the Special Edition offered a large visual overhaul (way more then this does) and moved everything to a newer API for the PC. Then several years after the Special Edition came out, it got an next gen for patch for free as well. The only thing that was charged for was all the creation club mods which is quite a bit of content, like dozens of weapons, armor, new houses, entirely new systems, new dungeons, and new quests. As I said, graphical update free, new content paid for. Well, unless your name is No Man's Sky.

Is this the worst upgrade path offered? No, it is not. Is it among the best? Certainly not either.

Aaron Olive

Usual suspects trying to convince others that you shouldn't play the game. The reasoning changes month to month but crucially, the accounts/posters are always the same.

PS' success with this ip is really painful to some.
No… we’re tired of playing old ass games where is the new shit at? Game companies making one game or maybe two in 7 to 10 years is not a good look for the future of gaming it shows creativity is dying.

Truth.

PS3
Uncharted_Drake%27s_Fortune.jpg
Uncharted_2_box_artwork.jpg

Uncharted_3_Boxart.jpg
Video_Game_Cover_-_The_Last_of_Us.jpg

U1 2007
U2 2009
U3 2011
TLOU 2013
4 games in 1 Gen in a span of 7 years of console launch, U1 one year after launch.

PS4
Uncharted_4_box_artwork.jpg
TLOU_P2_Box_Art_2.png

UC 4 2016
TLOU pt 2 2020
2 games in 7 years of console launch, U4 3 years after launch.

PS5 - 3 years in, 4 years Nov 2024.
awkward pulp fiction GIF

bored waiting GIF

Remakes of remakes DO NOT COUNT!

Last edited:

KillaJamm

You genuinely think they spent 4 years on a port?
They are 700 people strong, more than big enough to slice off a dozen people for ports and upgrades
700 people and not a whiff of what they are cooking though? I just think the remake and remaster were a waste of resources thats all, like I said before get the whole team working on a new project but that's my opinion

RickMasters

Naughty Dog has turned into one of the laziest studios in gaming.
Agree… basically they been working on yet another remaster and a gaas game based on the remaster they are about to release…that from the sound of things is in development hell…..

Something ain’t right with Sony these days.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Is there any enhancement to the performance mode other than better AO? The patch already runs it at a locked 1440p60 and ND have never used a resolution above 1440p (other than 4K) with the exception of the TLOU remastered on PS4 which ran at 1800p60 on the pro.

Offering an unlocked fps isn’t really something I’d call an enhancement.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Still doesn’t change the fact it was the same shit and last of us related… where are the new IP’s? ND is becoming creatively bankrupt!

Nov 2024 comes…. Now enhancement for PS5 pro 😱🤣
Where's Sucker Punch's new game? Bluepoint's? Took over 4 years for God of War Ragnarok and Horizon Forbidden West to release.

People who use the term "creativity bankrupt" don't know what they're talking about.

Eiknarf

Ok so it’s $40 now on PSN.

The upgrade is 10 to that smooth $50

The hard copies will def be $70

This is just more of a push towards digital. But you save money. Double edged sword videogame bullshit 🥳
I feel like most people would be ok with a brand new native PS5 TLOU Part 1 remaster being $50, not $70.

Maybe it’ll launch at $50???

shaddam

For that update price I'm in. I wish part I would get something similar option, I bought it on PS3 and PS4 on the first day, but I wont the third time on almost full price.

Yoboman

700 people and not a whiff of what they are cooking though? I just think the remake and remaster were a waste of resources thats all, like I said before get the whole team working on a new project but that's my opinion
vi70hsI.jpg

It's no secret they've changed how they are revealing games. Both TLOU remake and TLOU2 Remaster have been revealed 3 months before launch

Game development also isn't a linear process, pre production and full production have different team sizes. Ports can be done with a small, mostly programming team. They've also split and significantly increased the staff count for the Factions project.

Suffice to say, them not having revealed what they are doing is no indication of issues nor is having smaller projects like this rolling out in the meantime

Eiknarf

What do you all think the LOST LEVELS will be? Three unfinished environments where we can play through and get a sense of how it might’ve been had they been in the the final game?

Do ya think there will be cut scenes ?

Will we be able to play em “right out of the box”, or do ya think we’ll have to “unlock” it (possibly by completing the game)?

I guess with the commentary - they will tell us where in the game they would have been inserted chronologically

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
What do you all think the LOST LEVELS will be? Three unfinished environments where we can play through and get a sense of how it might’ve been had they been in the the final game?

Do ya think there will be cut scenes ?

Will we be able to play em “right out of the box”, or do ya think we’ll have to “unlock” it (possibly by completing the game)?

I guess with the commentary - they will tell us where in the game they would have been inserted chronologically
I think:
  • Unfinished environments/levels to play through.
  • Not locked, but would be a part of the story (optional)

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
qnya32ac01wz.jpg

ventruefull-e1646162947470.png

And the game got nominated for fucking GOTY in 2023. This doesnt include the two latest VR titles for ps5 and Meta quest and the remake.

Yet.. Not a fucking peep from a single one of you complaining about TLOU 2 remaster.

Again. Druckmann. Rent. Free. in your skulls.

Last edited:

Midn1ght

Yeah, all the graphical bugs have been fixed. As well as excessive VRAM and CPU utilization. Much shorter load times as well.
I'm currently playing it and can confirm that the game has been fixed for the most part. I wish they would drop an additional patch or two to optimize it even more and fix the last few issue (reflections in water is still blocky in a few area).

No stutters at all as well, it's in a good state but not perfect.

Also, did you play it on a NVMe Drive and did you have a texture streaming issue?

I'm playing on a regular SSD and had a few textures loading a bit late. I know I should upgrade but wondering if this issue is solved using an NVMe.

Zathalus

I'm currently playing it and can confirm that the game has been fixed for the most part. I wish they would drop an additional patch or two to optimize it even more and fix the last few issue (reflections in water is still blocky in a few area).

No stutters at all as well, it's in a good state but not perfect.

Also, did you play it on a NVMe Drive and did you have a texture streaming issue?

I'm playing on a regular SSD and had a few textures loading a bit late. I know I should upgrade but wondering if this issue is solved using an NVMe.
I did play on a NVMe drive, I don't recall any texture streaming issues but I do have 24GB of VRAM so not sure if that helped as well.

JMZ555

Shame the lost levels are not complete as that would be a insta upgrade for me. I will eventually upgrade when I fancy a new playthrough but not sure when that will be.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I don't understand how this topic has 17 pages.

Because threads like this exist.

Many gamers and people in general HONESTLY do no want anything outside of what they agree with or are used to; to be a focus in entertainment. And it's even worse if that creative thing gets praise. Every Naughty Dog thread is like this these days.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
vi70hsI.jpg

It's no secret they've changed how they are revealing games. Both TLOU remake and TLOU2 Remaster have been revealed 3 months before launch

Game development also isn't a linear process, pre production and full production have different team sizes. Ports can be done with a small, mostly programming team. They've also split and significantly increased the staff count for the Factions project.

Suffice to say, them not having revealed what they are doing is no indication of issues nor is having smaller projects like this rolling out in the meantime

I wish they WON'T do this for their next big AAA game though. Give us at least one year before the game drops. No reason ND's game should only get 3 months' worth of coverage prior to release. Unless it's a Remaster, then that's okay.

The only redundant version here is the original PC release. These are all ports to different platforms and I fail to see the word "REMASTER" on any of those boxes. So not sure how that relates.
Rent free in your head much?

It's the same game being "remade" for different generations of consoles and PC. How is it NOT the same as this?

Last edited:
Top Bottom