• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'The Last of Us: Remastered' coming to PS4, July 2014, [1080p, targeting 60 fps]

Lnds500

Why is it so hard to believe that a PS3 game can be ported to the PS4 & run 4.5 X better even with added effects?

It shouldn't be that hard based on graphics alone, but recreating every aspect of THE best looking game on the PS3, which was tailor made for a very hard-to-code-for machine on a completely different architecture and system seems like a daunting task.

PFFTT!!

SIMFA

STICK IT INTO MY FUCKING ASS!!

DAT GORE AT 1080P 60FPS DROOOOOOOOOOLS!!!
ioJyaNOQQbHKe.gif

hawk2025

Exactly! I'm not sure what the fuss is. Now uncharted 4 running at 60 fps well that's a different ball game.

The fuzz is that we have a lot of people "concerned" and "extremely vexed" lately.

So they doubt the claims when they are made, and disappear when it's confirmed -- making everyone else look oddly paranoid and like they are making a big fuss over nothing.

You are absolutely right: Once Naughty Dog mentioned they were shooting for a 1080p/60fps experience, that should have been that given what we know. But nope, lots of "concern" and "vexing" going on for months now. It's silly.

It's one thing -- and healthy -- to be skeptical and cautious. It's another entirely to be a straight up wet blanket.

Hell, one of the first reactions to "we have worked hard to remove drops" was someone saying "looks like there will be drops". What the hell?

Gekidami

Banned
Not related to anything, but whats the story of this gif?

Also, am i really the only person that thought TLOU's MP sucked? The whole weapon upgrade stuff was really unbalanced, same goes for some of the perks related to crafting. The default number of maps was really poor and it lacked interesting modes.

Carn82

It shouldn't be that hard based on graphics alone, but recreating every aspect of THE best looking game on the PS3, which was tailor made for a very hard-to-code-for machine on a completely different architecture and system seems like a daunting task.

And a great case study for ND/ICE :) but yeah, I think most work went into translating the rendering parts of the engine and using the right resources for the right tweaks. Ps3 probably needed some SPU magic to realize certain effects that ps4 can achieve out of the box, and vice versa, ps4 missing some of that SPU grunt.

Melchiah

Remastered does not include dlc weapons, hats, and skills. Only those who previously bought them or the season pass will have them. If you have purchased neither, they will need to be purchased separately.

Got it. So, it's only the MP extras, that are affected. To my understanding the censorship only involves the MP as well? If so, I think I'll stay with the EU version, as I'm most likely not going to play the MP this time either, as I'm not fond of competitive modes.

Porcupeth

Banned
sigh
i understand having the perception that getting this to run at 1080p/60fps is not an easy task. Not only did it already look quite good (for the hardware), but there's also the change in architecture. There have been remasters/ports who were unable to do it. Wind Waker HD for instance, and that was 2 generations apart. Tomb Raider drops below 60. Etc.

But this is Naughty Wizards. Why do you doubt Naughty Wizards?

To doubt U4 at 1080p/60fps is one thing (and personally i doubt that too), but this? It's hard, but the kind of hard that isn't hard for Naughty Mages.

Gbraga

sigh
i understand having the perception that getting this to run at 1080p/60fps is not an easy task. Not only did it already look quite good (for the hardware), but there's also the change in architecture. There have been remasters/ports who were unable to do it. Wind Waker HD for instance, and that was 2 generations apart. Tomb Raider drops below 60. Etc.

But this is Naughty Wizards. Why do you doubt Naughty Wizards?

To doubt U4 at 1080p/60fps is one thing (and personally i doubt that too), but this? It's hard, but the kind of hard that isn't hard for Naughty Mages.

It's just that they never promised rock solid 60 before they were able to achieve it. It isn't really about doubting them as much as it is wondering if they did it. If they just said "it's solid 60" from the start, we'd believe them.

They'd be lying though, so I appreciate the honesty. It's even kinda interesting how we get excited along with them when they make progress on the performance, it's really fun to read those tweets. We probably wouldn't be as impressed if we weren't following the process.

null_

Banned
Where'd cyborg go?? LOL... Looking forward to this, one of my most favorite games of all time, will dive into the MP as well. PSN: null__

AmyS

NaughtyDog said:
Moving our efforts to the PS4 has allowed us to remaster an already phenomenal looking The Last of Us in 1080p with a list of upgrades including higher resolution character models, improved shadows and lighting, upgraded textures, along with even more improvements.

YAY, more polygons per frame *AND* more frames per second
on top of having over twice the native resolution of the 720p PS3 ver
on top of the improved lighting & textures, Remastered DLC. On of everything else that'll be great about TLoU:R.

Not to mention all this probably just "training" so Naughty Dog can really strive to reach 60 FPS with Uncharted 4 in 2015.

Naughty Dog LIKES to be ON TOP

I still just hope its real, solid 60fps and not, you know, "60fps". Seeing as how its being talked about by devs enthusiastically and isnt just marketing drone spew, I'm fairly confident, but forgive me if I don't rest easy until its out. No, I'm not going to get any good rest until this is out. Daddy needs a shiny new disco ball.

PS: All this talk of buttonholes makes me need to poop.

I am definitely getting this game but I had a few questions that some of you may know the answers to.

1. I was told that the PS4 game uses the Cutscene models from the PS3 version but better is there any truth to that statement?

2. I also have heard that this games multiplayer is really good is there another game that could be used as a reference point?

3. How is the AI? I hear they have a new game difficulty that was originally removed because it was deemed to hard by playtesters but is being added back in. Is this true? If so that's pretty amazing.

Thanks

The multiplayer is so much fun though its a little slower then traditional MPs. I'm still playing it after a year

Do you think the extra animations and AI from the original reveal will be in the remastered ver? like the enemies looking through cupboards and draws for loot.

Lemondish

Do you think the extra animations and AI from the original reveal will be in the remastered ver? like the enemies looking through cupboards and draws for loot.

Nope. No changes like this.

They specifically wanted to avoid the George Lucas effect and were looking to port it over so it was as close to identical as one can get to the PS3 version.

Top Bottom