• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

QuantumBro said:
Go to the outside area and from there go to the right section where there is a climbable wall kill the skeleton spiders (forgot their actual name) with your hookshot and climb it.
I was in your situation less than an hour ago.

Thanks. I think I already did that. Drained the water also.
Also please don't tell me what to do, I just want slight hints :)

Roto13

I've never heard of this glitch before. :p

DpbEm.gif

(American Elf)

Got 3DS Saturday and did a little start up of it then but really played a segment today through Deku Tree and Princess meeting and finished with the cuckoo gathering.

I actually got startled when the rolling rock came out of nowhere by the sword chest and smacked me.

Navi told me after about 90min I should take a break and save my game.

I tried the sign fix trick with with A X Y A X Y that will take getting use to, but it didn't work. What am I doing wrong?

McNum

ViperVisor said:
Got 3DS Saturday and did a little start up of it then but really played a segment today through Deku Tree and Princess meeting and finished with the cuckoo gathering.

I actually got startled when the rolling rock came out of nowhere by the sword chest and smacked me.

Navi told me after about 90min I should take a break and save my game.

I tried the sign fix trick with with A X Y A X Y that will take getting use to, but it didn't work. What am I doing wrong?
You need to play Zelda's Lullaby to fix a sign. That's XAYXAY in this game.

I finally beat the Shadow Temple and god damn, did it give me trouble. OK, I admit, I sorta made it harder for myself than it should be by forgetting to replace my shield which I managed to lose God knows where. The abundance of long gauntlets and the absence of decent shortcuts made me utter many dirty words many times.

Plus, Bongo Bongo proved to be a major pain in the ass and every time I died restocking on life, fairies and arrows took ages. Ah well, all this makes my inevitable victory taste even better.

IceMarker

Master Quest is tough as nuts with the double damage increase... I haven't died yet, but I fear for the worst and I'm only in the Deku Tree!

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
PKrockin said:
So, now that I'm used to how OoT 3D looks, I ran across a video of OoT 64.

Wow.

Yea the remake is great looking, but you almost wouldn't notice without looking back.

It really does just fill in what your imagination filled in back in the day. Love it.

Ok so playing OoT for the first time ever on my 3ds. I just reached the village after you go to the castle the first time.

So I went into town. Got the hidden heartpiece and was trying to figure out what to do next. I figured gather up the Ococo's would be the next logical step. However one has glitched into a box in the corner where I can't reach it. Is there a way to reset or skip this?

It's amazing--I'm basically having the same experience with OoT 3D that I had with OoT back in November 1998. Played through the Deku Tree dungeon, not really feeling it, pushed on to Death Mountain...now I'm totally sucked in. The game's greatness only kicks in after a bit. I had forgotten a lot of the little details, which is making it all the cooler to play.

In other news, Amazon cancelled my order of the $0.99 OoT strategy guide, due to a "pricing error" :(

Cynosure

oatmeal said:
I was so excited to get the Bunny Hood, YAY I CAN RUN FAST NOW...

Wait...

What?

Damnit MM...

lol same. It was even one of the few times I cheated and looked up who I had to give the wooden mask to

I finally got the bunny hood and then

uevt0.jpg

McNum

Slowly progressing through Master Quest.

Master Sword acquired at 10 hearts and all possible beans planted. Now up to 11 hearts and pondering the idea of taking on
the Ice Cave for the Iron Boots before the Forest Temple
in order to get more hearts. Hearts are good. More hearts are better. No further deaths to report on account of following the previous advice. Yay.

Master Quest is pretty odd at times. For those of you who know what I'm think about: Lord Jabu Jabu.
Cows? Why cows? It actually turned out to be an advantage as you can milk cows using Epona's Song for free Lon Lon Milk.

Still, I like Master Quest so far. I really like how it's not afraid to throw tough enemies at you, just because. Empty hallway? That calls for a miniboss rematch! FIGHT! Oh and you have no room to dodge, have fun! (Also look out for the Like Like behind you. Ow. Never mind. You didn't want that shield anyway.)

McNum

Well... that worked.
Ice Cavern
complete before
Forest Temple
Iron Boots, Serenade of Water, and Zora Tunic get. Meaning I can access the Water Temple now
. I'm a sequence breaker! Yay!

Hmm, if I'm going to be a sequence breaker, it's time to break stuff further! New plan!
Access Water Temple, get Longshot! Access Forest Temple, get Bow. Complete Forest Temple to get Child Link back. Enter Well, get Lens of Truth. Go to Gerudo Fortress, access desert. Acquire Naryu's Love. Stick out tongue at double damage minibosses, 'cause Link's invincible! Complete childside of the Spirit Temple. Resume original Fire, Water, Shadow, Spirit course.

Any of you see a flaw in that plan? Other than making the game too easy? I kind of like trying to get some actual use out of that spell.

That depends, does the dungeon's redisign allow you to do that? I've never seen the MQ dungeons myself (currently beating Okamiden before continuing it) so I dunno.

McNum

SolarKnight said:
That depends, does the dungeon's redisign allow you to do that? I've never seen the MQ dungeons myself (currently beating Okamiden before continuing it) so I dunno.
The Water Temple did. I just got the
Longshot
. That was amazingly early in the dungeon. So the question remains if I should do a smash and grab for the bow, or actually complete the Forest Temple... The goal is
Naryu's Love
as soon as possible, but I'll want
the bow for the Gerudo Fortress
. The idea of not facing any of the adult bosses before getting the invincibility spell amuses me, though.

I just realized something, I can access another part early:
The Biggoron Sword
. Now wouldn't that be something to have before the Forest Temple?

Oh, yes. I am enjoying Master Quest. This mode really got me thinking about the order I do things in the game. All because Master Quest Stalfos scares me. I met one already. They. Hit. HARD! Looking forward to the Iron Knuckles. And by looking forward to, I mean "I'm stocking up on Fairies for".

Can't you just use the longshot instead of the bow? Sure, less range but IIRC it works wonders anyways. Unless they changed that part for MQ too, then I dunno.

Roto13

You can get the
Biggoron Sword as soon as you get the horse and some blue fire (either from the potion shop in Kakariko Village or the Ice Cavern). You don't need any dungeons items at all for it.

McNum

SolarKnight said:
Can't you just use the longshot instead of the bow? Sure, less range but IIRC it works wonders anyways. Unless they changed that part for MQ too, then I dunno.
Can you
KO the Gerudo with the Longshot?
That's the part I'm worried about. But I guess in the end, it wont matter as
I'll need to complete the Forest Temple to get Shiek to get out of the way so I can get the Lens of Truth. You CAN cross the desert without it
, but it's really hard. So next stop the Forest Temple, I guess. At least that boss is a pushover when you know what to do. It's what's between the entrance and him that worries me.

KarmaCow

MQ can be annoying sometimes like placing 3 Staflos in front of you while you're in a corridor or hiding switches, but I really like the Spirit Temple since it's not a complete joke with two fairly distinct sections.

Muskweeto

KarmaCow said:
MQ can be annoying sometimes like placing 3 Staflos in front of you while you're in a corridor or hiding switches, but I really like the Spirit Temple since it's not a complete joke with two fairly distinct sections.
Spirit temple is fantastic in MQ.

McNum

Master Quest is like an evil romhack of the game, really. Case in point, just for fun, I just poked my head into the Fire Temple. Ran up the stairs and WALL OF FIRE! -½ Heart! Why Nintendo, I didn't know you still knew how to be evil like that. Respect.

I'm half tempted to nickname it "I Wanna Be The Hero of Time" mode. It punishes you for doing what seems sane.

EDIT: Okay, I'm pretty sure Master Quest is made to be sequence broken now. Got the
Megaton Hammer
. Also really early in its dungeon. Just had to get through
a pair of Stalfos, an Iron Knuckle, and a Fire Dancer to get there.
Now what the heck am I supposed to do with that? Oh, right. Double Magic. At some point, I probably should get on with the main quest, but... I got loot to find!

pramath

Banned
I think I should get started with Master Quest.
I like how well the actual game has aged though. Yeah, there are some obvious issues- the overworld is largely empty, and the combat feels a bit on the simplistic side, for instance- but on the whole, this is an excellent game and a model of game design. Proof that if the core gameplay is immaculately designed, then the game will stand the test of time.

Also, is it just me or did the 3D effect in the Water Temple (and only the Water Temple) make others nauseous too?

pramath

Banned
AndresON777 said:
How do I kill
dark link
? Never played this before and the walkthru I looked up wasnt helpful.
He mirrors your moves.
This time around, if I'm honest, I didn't follow any strategy, I just walked upto him and slashed at him wildly. Got him out in a couple of minutes.
Hold down the L button, by the way, so you don't miss him when you're trying to hit.

McNum

AndresON777 said:
How do I kill
dark link
? Never played this before and the walkthru I looked up wasnt helpful.
Stop. Hammer Time. Can't block that.

There are many ways to fight him, the only one that doesn't work, really, is L-Target and Master Sword. It's a open fight, and you're the one with the utility belt. Don't fight on his terms.

My little foray into sequence breaking is going smoothly, a little TOO smoothly, maybe. The only dungeon items I'm missing are the
Hover Boots
and the
Silver Gauntlets
. I just finished up the
Bottom of the Well
. The Master Quest version is evil, not because it's difficult, it really isn't, but because of how many bait and switches it takes. "You got the... Compass?!" Well played, Nintendo, well played.

So next stop
Gerudo Fortress, stealth sections, desert running, and invincibility
. I might just do the Water Temple before the Fire Temple, just because I can.

This reminds me that I should really finish Master Quest, I got beaten by Twinrova, now i'm trying to remember if there's a better way to deal with the first half of the fight aside from lucky positioning of the witches because it takes me far too long and I swear it didn't used to.

PKrockin

McNum said:
My little foray into sequence breaking is going smoothly, a little TOO smoothly, maybe. The only dungeon items I'm missing are the
Hover Boots
and the
Silver Gauntlets
. I just finished up the
Bottom of the Well
. The Master Quest version is evil, not because it's difficult, it really isn't, but because of how many bait and switches it takes. "You got the... Compass?!" Well played, Nintendo, well played.

So next stop
Gerudo Fortress, stealth sections, desert running, and invincibility
. I might just do the Water Temple before the Fire Temple, just because I can.

Sequence breaking, eh? What's your route? I want to do a real sequence breaking challenge run later (Swordless, shieldless, 3 hearts, no optional items)

Roto13

Franchuzas87 said:
You can do that? How?
You can't. :p You need to equip a sword to get past Mido, you can't damage Ghoma without a sword, I'm fairly certain you can't damage the King Dodongo without a sword (it's impervious to bombs and I don't think the slingshot hurts him, but I'm not 100% sure about that one), etc.

You have to equip a shield, too, but you can just burn that up as soon as you find a Fire Keese or something. For a three heart challenge, you might need to equip a shield to get to the Great Fairy on top of Death Mountain, especially on Master Quest. As a child, those rocks ALWAYS hit you. You can't avoid them, you have to block them. You need to visit that Great Fairy for the other Great Fairy to give you Din's Fire, which you need to open the door to the Shadow Temple. Though, I guess you can just skip that place and come back to it as an adult when you can dodge the rocks.

You also need to equip a shield to solve some puzzles (not to mention beat the boss) of the Spirit Temple.

So yeah. That challenge can't be done. :p

EDIT: Oh, pfft, if you're going to use glitches, screw it then. If anything, the game is easier if you start with the Megaton Hammer. (If that glitch even works in the DS version, which it probably doesn't.)

Myriadis

Franchuzas87 said:
You can do that? How?
There are some methods to do this on the N64 versions,but the 3DS version?

The Crooked Cartridge trick only works on the N64,as you have to pull out the N64 cartridge slightly on the left side and that,of course,doesn't work on the 3DS.You can get swordless by using a glitch on the last battle,but then again,you're through with the game when you can use this glitch.There's also the possibility to steal the rod via a similar trick,which then replaces the rod with the sword,but I don't know if it doesn't lead to problems.That could work,but I can't test it.

Edit:Oh,too late.I didn't know about the "Start Game with anything on B"-Glitch.Interesting!It's somewhat based on the "steal rod"-glitch.

confused

Banned
PKrockin said:
Sequence breaking, eh? What's your route? I want to do a real sequence breaking challenge run later (Swordless, shieldless, 3 hearts, no optional items)

Don't you need a sword and a shield to leave Kokiri forest ?

PKrockin

Roto13 said:
You can't. :p You need to equip a sword to get past Mido, you can't damage Ghoma without a sword, I'm fairly certain you can't damage the King Dodongo without a sword (it's impervious to bombs and I don't think the slingshot hurts him, but I'm not 100% sure about that one), etc.

You have to equip a shield, too, but you can just burn that up as soon as you find a Fire Keese or something. For a three heart challenge, you might need to equip a shield to get to the Great Fairy on top of Death Mountain, especially on Master Quest. As a child, those rocks ALWAYS hit you. You can't avoid them, you have to block them. You need to visit that Great Fairy for the other Great Fairy to give you Din's Fire, which you need to open the door to the Shadow Temple. Though, I guess you can just skip that place and come back to it as an adult when you can dodge the rocks.

You also need to equip a shield to solve some puzzles (not to mention beat the boss) of the Spirit Temple.

So yeah. That challenge can't be done. :p

EDIT: Oh, pfft, if you're going to use glitches, screw it then. If anything, the game is easier if you start with the Megaton Hammer. (If that glitch even works in the DS version, which it probably doesn't.)

Just run backwards and they'll never hit you. Or Superslide (my favorite method of travel).

And the "Start the game with any item on B" glitch does work on the 3DS. In fact the video I posted shows it start to finish on the 3DS.

I was going to add a "unless I had a choice" to the no shield clause but I thought it would be obvious. :p

I wouldn't use the Megaton Hammer before the Fire Temple, it's just to make more sequence breaking possible. I'm going to wait until we have more info on the bombchu game glitch until I decide and start a route though.

Don't you need a sword and a shield to leave Kokiri forest ?

The video I posted earlier shows a glitch that lets you set the Megaton Hammer on B in a new game. Then you go to the Lost Forest and break the boulders to get into Goron City.

There's another glitch that lets you get into Zora Fountain from its Lost Forest entrance that you would normally need a Silver Scale to go through. As far as I remember you need a sword to do it though (the Master Sword might work...)

Ah, if only you could still just jump attack through the Door of Time and skip all the Spiritual Stones...

Roto13

Does Mido move eventually if you leave the forest and come back? Because you'll still need to get past him to get the Kokiri Emerald.

There's really no point in doing a no-sword challenge if you start off with the Megaton Hammer.

Top Bottom