• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

PKrockin

Roto13 said:
Does Mido move eventually if you leave the forest and come back? Because you'll still need to get past him to get the Kokiri Emerald.

There's really no point in doing a no-sword challenge if you start off with the Megaton Hammer.

I'm not sure but I think he does eventually if you trigger some story event.

I wouldn't use the hammer until I reach the point where I get it in the Fire Temple though.

And maybe I could add "no Megaton Hammer in combat" to the list. Or maybe "only Slingshot/Bow + Hammer in combat"? There's a lot of possibilities, and I can look into them when I plan the run.

McNum

PKrockin said:
Sequence breaking, eh? What's your route? I want to do a real sequence breaking challenge run later (Swordless, shieldless, 3 hearts, no optional items)
I'm still an amateur a sequence breaking, but I've done alright for myself this time.

I took Master Quest as a challenge, meaning no coasting through like normal. If the game wants to play hardball, so be it. So I'm showing it what I can do. The goal has been maximum hearts and as early access to items as possible. Well, I just put the final nail in that sequence. Forest Temple down, Longshot, Megaton Hammer and... Naryu's Love. You could technically get it before the Forest Temple but you need to be able to get through the desert without the Lens of Truth for that.

The sequence so far is: Child in order, 10 hearts, Ice Cavern, visit Water Temple for Longshot, leave, visit Fire Temple for Megaton Hammer, leave, complete Forest Temple, complete Bottom of the Well, complete Thieves' Hideout, go to Desert Collosus for Naryu's Love and that Heart Piece... and that's where I am so far. The choice of next steps are interesting. I can go for Fire, Water or maybe even Spirit. If the Hover Boots aren't needed in Spirit, of course. The idea of doing Spirit, Water, Fire, Shadow amuses me, though.

So, yeah. Not doing this in the classic glitch the game and do a mad challenge fashion. Rather it's my "See if the game lets me get away with this and then exploit it" run. So far, everything is going as planned. Well, apart from not being able to catch a 15 pound fish.

My favorite moment of doing it this way so far was my little Forest Temple shortcut.
Apparently, lowering the water level in the underground tunnel is a brand new puzzle in Master Quest, one that you need to get through a locked door to get to the switch. Or you could just equip the Iron Boots and walk to the other side underwater. Some puzzles just ask for a brute force solution. I beat Phantom Ganon with a key left over.
I wonder if having the Longshot will have any effect in the MQ Fire Temple.

ss_lemonade

Bought the game today (finally was able to catch some stock at the game store I go to). Man, the stable framerate makes such a big difference. Its been 10 something years now since I beat the original so this'll be great to playthrough again

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Do you guys play in 3D or 2D? This is my first 3DS where I have to play it in 2D. The added AA lis great, also the ghosting and constant loss of focus in 3D gives me headaches. How is gyroscope aiming even possible in 3D? I tried different positions with the slider but in the end it just doesn't look right.

McNum

I play in 2D. I can choose to be able to see the 3D effect, or be able to read. And even then I can only keep the 3D effect up for 5-10 minutes before my eyes tire. So I play in 2D.

It seems that you do not need Hover Boots for the MQ Spirit Temple. Imagine that. That temple was just weird. I didn't even have to go into half of it. Did I just skip part of a temple again? Also, time travel does not work that way, and Nintendo should be ashamed of doing that.
I trigger a chest in the future and get it in the past? That makes no sense.
Fun dungeon, though.

IceMarker

Franchuzas87 said:
The most unusual thing I've done in Ocarina 3D is beat Master Quest with the three initial hearts. No fairies. It's easier than it looks, only the Stalfos gave me real problems.
muwCc.gif

Bravo.

DeVeAn

Got this at launch and just stopped playing. When I think about it it's because as cool as the 3D looks, I can't do it for very long. Feel like I am missing out if I don't play the whole thing in 3D.

Once I shake that gonna finish up in 2D. 3D looks good but honestly, not for longer than 10 mins.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
kamorra said:
Do you guys play in 3D or 2D? This is my first 3DS where I have to play it in 2D. The added AA lis great, also the ghosting and constant loss of focus in 3D gives me headaches. How is gyroscope aiming even possible in 3D? I tried different positions with the slider but in the end it just doesn't look right.
I find the ghosting to be pretty bad in this game too, especially when Link is standing in front of a dark background, for example. It's noticeable when the 3D is turned up to any level other than very slight and is just annoying and distracting. Maybe it's just my 3DS, but I haven't noticed it too much in other games/apps. I don't use the 3D much anyway. :x

Yeah, I switched between 3D/2D for the cutscenes only. I couldn't stand the ghosting and other issues with 3D. Past the Forest Temple, I kept it in 2D mode.

gotee12

kamorra said:
It seems like I'm in the minority. The only time I've played in 2D was while my wife drove during a road trip. It was hard for me to keep the 3DS positioned properly while in a moving vehicle.

Other than that, it's been 3D all the way, for up to hour and a half play sessions sometimes. It did take a little while to learn how to hold the 3DS to prevent ghosting. I'm absolutely loving this game in 3D though.

Thankfully I don't get the headaches or dizziness from the 3D that plagues others.

McNum

So, anyone know what happens if you shoot Morpha with an Ice Arrow? I know what I'd like to happen, but I doubt Nintendo programmed that in. I don't see anything about it online, so I guess nothing happens. But... I can find out for myself now. Is it time for SCIENCE? (Science today takes the form of shooting magic ice arrows at a gelatinous blob in hopes of freezing it.)

On a related note, you also don't need Hover Boots for the MQ Gerudo's Training Ground, although they would have been useful in a few rooms.

I'm having fun with breaking Master Quest, and it keeps letting me get away with it.

PKrockin

McNum said:
I play in 2D. I can choose to be able to see the 3D effect, or be able to read. And even then I can only keep the 3D effect up for 5-10 minutes before my eyes tire. So I play in 2D.

It seems that you do not need Hover Boots for the MQ Spirit Temple. Imagine that.

Really?
What about the puzzle in the three-story room with the statue, where you have to carry a box from on top of a Block of Time up some stairs and put it on the statue's hand?
Or do you not need to do that puzzle to finish the temple?

I play full 3D all the time. Gyro aiming isn't really a problem either.

Wizpig

Got my Nintendo Club OST a few days ago, sweet stuff.

Now I just need to buy the game, but... yeah, I'll wait after Skyward Sword.

McNum

PKrockin said:
Really?
What about the puzzle in the three-story room with the statue, where you have to carry a box from on top of a Block of Time up some stairs and put it on the statue's hand?
Or do you not need to do that puzzle to finish the temple?

I play full 3D all the time. Gyro aiming isn't really a problem either.
Ah yes. THAT puzzle. That took a while to figure out.

Here's how I did it without Hover Boots:
The trick I found was that I climbed to the top of the stairs and jumped down to the box on its starting Block of Time from there. From that block, I jumped to the block near the stairs with the box in hand. I climbed the stairs to the top and played the Song of Time to move the Block of Time up as a middle platform between stairs and the other ledge.

Then all I had to do was jump from that Block of Time to the hand.

But honestly that was only my second biggest trick, because I was missing another "necessary" item to complete the temple: Fire Arrows. Lighting torches at range and that blasted frozen eye switch in the Spirit Temple.

For the latter, it's fairly straightforward:
Din's Fire can trigger frozen eye switches and has a bigger range than you might think. That's how I got the one above the door in the Spirit Temple. Din's Fire is awesome in Master Quest. I'm carrying around Green Potion just in case. Would get a Blue, but I'm a few Gold Skulltulas short of the Giant's Wallet.

Lighting torches at range was a problem in the Gerudo's Training Ground.
Except I remembered a trick shot from the original Forest Temple. Shooting an arrow through a lit torch turns it into a Fire Arrow. So with a little positioning and a single lit torch, I could light torches at range with the common arrows.

So next up I'll have to tackle either the Fire or Water Temple. Navi keeps bugging me to go to Death Mountain, so I think I'll do the Water Temple in spite. I know what I'm doing little fairy. Actually, I don't really, but it's fun to try. I did not expect to beat the Spirit Temple, and most certainly not that I would get the Ice Arrows, but I did. I've actually ended up collecting the Ice Arrows before the Fire Arrows this time around. It's going to be fun to take those arrows into actual dungeons. I usually get them way too late for them to be useful. As in after beating the final boss.

So, you think Morpha's tentacles will shatter if I try to freeze them?

PKrockin

McNum said:
Ah yes. THAT puzzle. That took a while to figure out.

Here's how I did it without Hover Boots:
The trick I found was that I climbed to the top of the stairs and jumped down to the box on its starting Block of Time from there. From that block, I jumped to the block near the stairs with the box in hand. I climbed the stairs to the top and played the Song of Time to move the Block of Time up as a middle platform between stairs and the other ledge.

Then all I had to do was jump from that Block of Time to the hand.

OH, of course.
Either I never noticed Navi indicating there was another block next to the starting block+box, or I assumed they were "linked"; that making one appear would make the other disappear. I'm really tired of the Song of Time block puzzles throughout Master Quest though.

But honestly that was only my second biggest trick, because I was missing another "necessary" item to complete the temple: Fire Arrows. Lighting torches at range and that blasted frozen eye switch in the Spirit Temple.

For the latter, it's fairly straightforward:
Din's Fire can trigger frozen eye switches and has a bigger range than you might think. That's how I got the one above the door in the Spirit Temple. Din's Fire is awesome in Master Quest. I'm carrying around Green Potion just in case. Would get a Blue, but I'm a few Gold Skulltulas short of the Giant's Wallet.

Yeah, I also found that out about
Din's Fire at the same place you did, when I ran out of arrows sniping the Floormaster in that room.

So, you think Morpha's tentacles will shatter if I try to freeze them?

I doubt it.
The Ice Arrows were the prize of an unfinished dungeon and don't have any use or effect I'm aware of outside of freezing enemies. But hey, I don't remember even getting the Ice Arrows before...

McNum

PKrockin said:
OH, of course.
Either I never noticed Navi indicating there was another block next to the starting block+box, or I assumed they were "linked"; that making one appear would make the other disappear. I'm really tired of the Song of Time block puzzles throughout Master Quest though.
Yeah, it's pretty much gotten to the point that if I'm stuck, I'll play the Song of Time. There's a 50/50 chance it works.
PKrockin said:
Yeah, I also found that out about
Din's Fire at the same place you did, when I ran out of arrows sniping the Floormaster in that room.
I'll happily admit I've sorely underestimated the value of
Din's Fire on OoT for years. That spell is good. Need a light? FIRE! Surrounded by redeads? FIRE! As a child? MORE FIRE! Floormaster splits into tiny hands? You guessed it! FIRE! They even have a special death by fire animation.
PKrockin said:
I doubt it.
The Ice Arrows were the prize of an unfinished dungeon and don't have any use or effect I'm aware of outside of freezing enemies. But hey, I don't remember even getting the Ice Arrows before...
That's just it. The Ice Arrows are pretty much an afterthought in the game. Yet I've got three dungeons to go (apart from smash and grab in Fire and Water to nab the item). I'm going to try it out on a lot of things. But since Morpha is mostly water, I'm definitely going to give it a shot. You can vaporize the tentacles with... you guessed it: FIRE! So maybe they react to ice, too. But yes, I doubt it, too. Would be awesome, though.

Speaking of items I shouldn't have, I'm so going to lame out Dark Link. With Naryu's Love. I'm happy to trade blows with him this time. As I said earlier, it's a open fight, and I'm the one with the utility belt.

I may be enjoying this a little too much, but I think I've already won Master Quest. I don't see what it has left to throw at me that I can't counter. Now I just got tot take it home.
Even if Ganon's Castle has me a little worried. If MQ has some dick moves left, they're going to be there.

Yoschi

I've been waiting for my copy for nearly 6 weeks and I'm coming here to bitch about it because I still haven't received it. DAMN IT.

Play-Asia, you ruined my holiday :(

McNum

Roto13 said:
I haven't checked in like ten years, but I seem to remember there being a scarecrow there you can reach with the longshot.
I couldn't make it work. I shot the sun at dawn, got the sound that told me I hit it. No Fire Arrow. Completed the Water Temple, Fire Arrow on the first shot.

Incidentally, Morpha is immune to Ice Arrows. Doesn't even damage it. Aww... Not immune to swords, though.

Roto13

You could definitely make the fire arrow appear before refilling the lake in the original version. I'm like 99.99% sure of that.

zruben

Banned
I got this game on late July, along with the 3DS

I haven't been able to play it "hardcorely", because of work, life, etc... I'm on the Fire Temple right now and I have to say I'm VERY impressed with all the atention to detail this version has.

what I find funny, is that I don't remember Ocarina being THAT good. o_O, during the N64 era, I found Majora's Mask to be a better game overall... but now, it's hard to decide, I'm really loving Ocarina of Time now.

about the 3d vs 2d argument. For me, adjusting the 3d slider at half is the best setting for me, it looks great, it avoids the "ghosting problem", and also it makes it easier to use the gyroscope aiming (which makes the Big Poe Quest VERY EASY now).

I REALLY REALLY want a Majora's Mask 3D remake now.

olimpia84

Finished the water temple the other day. It didn't give me as many problems as the first time around with all the added signs.

Time to move for the Shadow Temple

My 13-years-younger self would be ashamed of me now: I've already had to get hints twice now to figure out where to go. Yes, I'm part of the problem.

That frigging 3DS power button is also part of the problem: I pushed it once without saving and immediately lost an hour's worth of progress. What's the point of having a confirm screen on the power button if it effectively closes everything down anyway?

Kazerei

Banned
The bottle adventure part is an old discovery on the N64, which lets you overwrite the B button with any item. The new discovery on the 3DS, is how to carry that over to a new game. Which is a pretty major glitch.

The only issue with the megaton hammer is that there's no horizontal swing. When you do the swing, you'll see the sweep of a sword, but it doesn't actually hit. So just remember to stick to vertical strikes.

kizmah

Just finshed the water temple. Much easier and enjoyable this time around, mostly because of the touch screen but the colored routes helped as well. About 3D vs 2D, I always play with 3D on with the slider up at perhaps 80%. It gives me no problems whatsoever and I find the 3D pretty impressive. It's really giving me the feeling of playing inside this world.

jackdoe

Ugh. I think the 3D is well done, but the 3DS's narrow field of view is giving me a headache. Everything you do can shift the screen slightly and screw up the 3D. But, in spite of that glaring design flaw, I'm completely enjoying the game. Just have to take more breaks than I'm used to due to headaches.

disco

Has anyone found that 3D was fine until they picked up the first heart after killing the first boss in the first dungeon? All of I sudden I saw two hearts and it wouldn't sort itself out no matter how I held the DS... No further problems as yet though...

McNum

discocaine said:
Has anyone found that 3D was fine until they picked up the first heart after killing the first boss in the first dungeon? All of I sudden I saw two hearts and it wouldn't sort itself out no matter how I held the DS... No further problems as yet though...
The first heart container is bugged. It's placed wrong when it's held up over Link's head in 3D sometimes. It's not you, it's the game breaking the effect.

Smellycat

I am stuck!!! I am at
Zora's domain
and I have no idea what to do. I know I am supposed to talk to the
King. But all he does is whine about his missing daughter. I tried playing Zelda's lullaby but it didn't help. Am I supposed to find his daughter first, and how??

Smellycat said:
I am stuck!!! I am at
Zora's domain
and I have no idea what to do. I know I am supposed to talk to the
King. But all he does is whine about his missing daughter. I tried playing Zelda's lullaby but it didn't help. Am I supposed to find his daughter first, and how??
Get the zora scale in the diving minigame, go to Lake Hylia by a door under the water and search there for a bottle with a letter from the princess.

Smellycat

Franchuzas87 said:
Get the zora scale in the diving minigame, go to Lake Hylia by a door under the water and search there for a bottle with a letter from the princess.

thanks

I got all of that, and I actually thought that maybe the
letter is from the princess, but I thought it would be too random and decided against showing it to her dad.

haha

edit: oh ,you can actually read the letter :|

kunonabi

yeah OOT is the only game so far that full 3D doesn't work for me. Way too much ghosting. I have it just a bit over half and it looks great.

McNum said:
The first heart container is bugged. It's placed wrong when it's held up over Link's head in 3D sometimes. It's not you, it's the game breaking the effect.

It's not only the first heart. I have no idea what the hell happened, but one time after I opened the 3DS after leaving it in sleep mode inside the room with all the pots in Hyrule town I just couldn't get it to look right at all. The images were way too separated. Maybe the REALLY bright sunlight had something to do with though, but the home menu looked just fine so I dunno :I

The ghosting it usually has didn't bother me that much after a while for the most part, but my god, I just can't stand it in Lost Woods, it hurts my eyes so much =/

Chris R

Bought this earlier with a gift card. Good fun so far, but there are several things that irk me. Why is the dpad used for nothing? Would be great if I could use it to quickly swap the x/y items with the I/II items. Hitting the I/II items with my right thumb sucks (not holding a stylus while I play). Another thing that sucks is having the WORLD map on the lower screen when it could be used to hold the minimap :/

Tons of kick ass things though. The slingshot is so much fun to use with moving the 3DS. Kinda breaks the 3D but with the slider 3/4 the way up it only takes me half a second to get it back. 3D is really well done too, other than the heart container after Gohma. Does the moving slingshot work if I turn off L-target movement?

Moodkip

I am thoroughly impressed with the 3D in this game, I'd go so far as to say it's the best demonstration of 3D on the system so far. It's showing me what 3D can be and I really hope other free-roaming games use it as well as this game does.

I finally went back and finished the first dungeon of Master Quest today. It was pretty good, I'm excited to see the rest of them. I really wish there was a way to skip through all of the dungeons though, after finishing the Deku and having just beat the game proper last month, I'm really not looking forward to the bits between dungeons at all.

I also wish they hadn't mirrored the world, as it serves no purpose and it's really annoying to have this sense of being turned around. When I got to Kakariko Village it felt like I had to explore for a few minutes to gain my bearings. Usually I love that type of exploration, but with this there's no payoff since I know the place like the back of my hand, I just have to get used to the mirroring.

There was a room in the Deku tree with a bunch of enemies and a Skulltula on the wall right in front of you when you walk in.
Am I right in thinking that you have to return with the boomerang to get it? Sword jumping didn't get me anywhere near high enough, but maybe there's something I missed. Hopefully there's not too many like this, I was going to try and find them all this playthrough but I really don't like backtracking.

Javier

Yeah, you can't truly go Skulltula hunting until you have the Boomerang (as a kid) and the Hookshot (as an adult).

In fact, I could be wrong, but I believe some skulltulas require the Longshot.

WEGGLES

So, uh water temple.

Doesn't seem hard, just kind-of poorly laid out.

Do I need to use the green power to make it through it? (The one that allows you to teleport back to a certain point) if not I feel like I'm missing something. A pain in the ass to not be able to attack under water. (I ran into the girl from the giant fish, but I don't know where she went)

Roto13

WEGGLES said:
So, uh water temple.

Doesn't seem hard, just kind-of poorly laid out.

Do I need to use the green power to make it through it? (The one that allows you to teleport back to a certain point) if not I feel like I'm missing something. A pain in the ass to not be able to attack under water. (I ran into the girl from the giant fish, but I don't know where she went)
You can attack under water. Use your hookshot or your bow. (You never see Ruto again after she swims away in that one room. :p)

Top Bottom