• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

DJ88

After hearing all the stories about the water temple, I was surprised at how easily I beat it.

Except for one key that I managed to miss that stopped me at the door right before the room with the boss key, I never got stuck or had to backtrack

Out of all the dungeons so far, I beat the water temple the easiest. However, I can definitely see how switching to the iron boots all the time on the 64 would have made it a pain in the ass.

trinest

DJ88 said:
After hearing all the stories about the water temple, I was surprised at how easily I beat it.

Except for one key that I managed to miss that stopped me at the door right before the room with the boss key, I never got stuck or had to backtrack

Out of all the dungeons so far, I beat the water temple the easiest. However, I can definitely see how switching to the iron boots all the time on the 64 would have made it a pain in the ass.
Haahaa I had that same problem in the temple.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Wait...wait...wait...you can use your Bow and Arrow underwater?

Always thought you could only use the Hookshot. 0.o

WEGGLES

Roto13 said:
You can attack under water. Use your hookshot or your bow. (You never see Ruto again after she swims away in that one room. :p)
Figured that out.

Still of the opinion that it's rather poorly laid out and rather tedious. Wasn't difficult, but wasn't fun either.

MAN, it's such a cool game, but god do I hate some of its archaic design choices, i.e. Forest Temple: climb countless blocks, open countless doors, reach where you're currently up to, die cheaply, start OUTSIDE THE FUCKING DUNGEON.

mickcenary said:
MAN, it's such a cool game, but god do I hate some of its archaic design choices, i.e. Forest Temple: climb countless blocks, open countless doors, reach where you're currently up to, die cheaply, start OUTSIDE THE FUCKING DUNGEON.

Farore's Wind is your best friend.

PKrockin

mickcenary said:

Just curious, how did you die?

What annoys me more though is having to start at your house, the Temple of Time, or a dungeon when loading your save. Most of the time it's not a big deal since you can warp or go to a nearby dungeon, but it's still dumb that you can't start back at the entrance to somewhere like Gerudo's Fortress if you save there.

PKrockin said:
Just curious, how did you die?

What annoys me more though is having to start at your house, the Temple of Time, or a dungeon when loading your save. Most of the time it's not a big deal since you can warp or go to a nearby dungeon, but it's still dumb that you can't start back at the entrance to somewhere like Gerudo's Fortress if you save there.

It's pretty annoying at the beginning of the game where you don't have access to the warp songs. :|

Electivirus said:
Farore's Wind is your best friend.

Don't have whatever that is, mang. Whatdoesdo? And I died in that room wherein you have to kill 4 of those skeleton sword guys; my brain annoyingly refused to recognize the existence of the shield up until the 5th or so time. It's just stupid that if I die, I have to trudge back through all the passageways. I know it's mainly due to me being shit, but this has dampened the whole game now.

KarmaCow said:
It creates a warp point for later use.

And the shield doesn't block the Staflos' jumping attack anyway.

Well, that just shits me. The game shouldn't let me skip over an ability that imperative. Am angry.

PKrockin said:
It's not imperative. I've never even used it.

I dunno, man. Repetitively trudging through dungeons has been the only annoying thing I've encountered. Could I not theoretically and pain-stakingly clock the entire game without ever coming across the ability? If so, I feel that it's a bit weak when games do that.

nofi

mickcenary said:
I dunno, man. Repetitively trudging through dungeons has been the only annoying thing I've encountered. Could I not theoretically and pain-stakingly clock the entire game without ever coming across the ability? If so, I feel that it's a bit weak when games do that.

It's an adventure game. It's not like Farore's Wind isn't signposted like crazy at one point. =)

GC|Simon

Saw the credits after exactly 24 hours. Great game.

I bought it weeks after the official launch because I thought: Oh no, a port. But actually it is a fantastic remake. Better graphics, better controls (Touchscreen map, changing boots, etc.) and more fun. We have definitely a new reference in the action adventure genre.

Ithil

I just got it the other day, I've been loving it as I expected (OOT being my all time favourite already). The level of improvement looks wise varies, sometimes it looks just a bit better (the Great Fairies themselves are disappointing, they're just a bit more rounded, but their fountain's look great), but overall it's a great remake. The controls work well, though I'm not sure if they're necessarily BETTER, as using the Z targeting was easier in the N64 version, but the touchscreen vastly improves the gameplay at the same time

I was impressed by how much better the fishing pond looked, as a special note.

I cleared the Spirit Temple last night, and finally caught the 10 pound fish as young link knocking me up to max health :)

I really enjoyed the Spirit Temple. I think it's my favourite next to the Fire temple, although I'd like a little more of the mirror puzzles. Wind Waker had a great temple for that, I guess.

So it's basically just Ganon's Castle left for me now. I've forgotten what thats like so sort of dreading it ^^ Putting it off a bit.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I haven't played any games this year minus Killzone 3...which I played for 2 hours then sold. Nothing has really interested me. Decided to grab a 3DS and Zelda since I loved the game back in the day. Now I can't wait to get home and play again :) They did a much better job then I was expecting with the graphics. Gameplay still holds up perfectly. The 3d effect is a really nice addition too.

Woohoo back into gaming again.

zruben

Banned
I just passed the graveyard temple (forgot the actual name), and for some reason, I found it a lot easier than before... I loved the new look of some rooms, that temple, and the "bottom of the well" mini-temple were a lot creepier than before...

and also, about the Water Temple... I remember having just ONE little problem with it when I played it as a kid; but the game now manages to make it easier to you:

it was about the key you get on the central column, just when you rise the water level and you get under the (now) floating block... I missed it as a kid;

BUT NOW, the games makes it PAINFULLY OBVIOUS that there's something there, making the dungeon less hard / frustrating

I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad... it really makes things smoother, but I really wanted to see the overdramatic reactions on the internet of people struggling with that dungeon, LOL

Ooccoo

zruben said:
I just passed the graveyard temple (forgot the actual name), and for some reason, I found it a lot easier than before... I loved the new look of some rooms, that temple, and the "bottom of the well" mini-temple were a lot creepier than before...

and also, about the Water Temple... I remember having just ONE little problem with it when I played it as a kid; but the game now manages to make it easier to you:

it was about the key you get on the central column, just when you rise the water level and you get under the (now) floating block... I missed it as a kid;

BUT NOW, the games makes it PAINFULLY OBVIOUS that there's something there, making the dungeon less hard / frustrating

I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad... it really makes things smoother, but I really wanted to see the overdramatic reactions on the internet of people struggling with that dungeon, LOL

Didn't know they changed that, only played OOT on N64 and GC. It kinda sucks. While I understand it was frustrating, finding this "secret" area was really rewarding (and necessary).

PKrockin

Ithil said:
The controls work well, though I'm not sure if they're necessarily BETTER, as using the Z targeting was easier in the N64 version,
If you're talking about not having to hold the button to stay locked-on to an enemy, you can switch it back to that way in the pause menu options.

dani_dc

zruben said:

I remember a friend of mine erasing his main saved file (with tons of skutullas and side-quests done) cause he thought he had screwed up at some point and couldn't finish the dungeon anymore. Only to find out the solution on a secondary game he had, for his friends to play the game, an hour or two later. Good times.

Roto13

Mistle said:
what part of the game is this possible?
After getting the third spiritual stone and before heading into the Temple of Time. He's in one of the back alleys in Hyrule Castle Town.

McNum

So I'm racing through Master Quest so it's done before I pick up Xenoblade in two days. I have taken the oddest route through the temples this time, I don't think I could break the sequence more if I tried without glitching it. The final adult temple sequence for me, not counting smash and grab for items, is
Forest, Spirit(!), Water, Fire, Shadow, Final
. Just set foot in the Shadow Temple, this could get... interesting in Master Quest.

I'm looking forward to seeing what evil Nintendo has put in
Ganon's Tower
for Master Quest. If it doesn't take at least a few cheap sots, I'll be disappointed. I'm actually surprising myself, too. Only a single Game Over so far, I thought Master Quest would have been meaner. Although
Volvagia
hurts like hell if you don't hit it fast enough when it pops out of a hole. Was that six hearts gone just like that? Yes. Yes it was. Good thing I had 16 for that fight.

Well, I didn't expect me to give the proper sequence of dungeons as big a middle finger as I did. I wanted Naryu's Love as soon as possible, and I did. Then I started poking my head into temples to see if I could get the item easily. Sure I could. Could I also make it to the bosses? Yeah, by being tricky.

Just finished the 3DS version. It was good, especially for a trip down memory lane. Some of the dungeons still hold up, others not so much. The game could have really used a little less vagueness and reliance on one random NPC reminding you where to go. All of the bosses were piss easy, but eh it's Zelda. Really should have used those remixed tracks, cause that piece of Hyrule Field during the credits was really good.

Tyeforce

Is it sad that I can't finish this game because I'm too scared of the Shadow Temple? I got the game back when it came out (actually, I got it five days before it came out, thanks to Target breaking the street date), but I've stopped playing it ever since I got to the Shadow Temple. Getting through the Bottom of the Well was hard enough for me, and I just couldn't go through with the Shadow Temple after that. I've beaten the original game on the Nintendo 64 when I was little, and again a few years ago on Virtual Console, and both times the Bottom of the Well and the Shadow Temple have given me nightmares. And after all this time, I'm still scared to death of it, lol. The updated graphics and 3D visuals don't help my problem any, either. >.>

Moodkip

I never realized how irrelevant the arrows were until playing this remake. After getting the hookshot from Dampe's grave, I've
  • Beaten the Fire Temple
  • Beaten the ice dungeon
  • Got Epona
  • Cleared the Water Temple enough to get the LONGshot
  • Got the Biggoron's Sword
... and I haven't even stepped foot in the Forest Temple yet.

Kazerei

Banned
I think the Forest/Fire/Water Temples can be done in any order, just as Shadow/Spirit can be done either way. But Forest/Fire/Water must all be completed before Shadow/Spirit, without using glitches. Shiek won't teach you the Nocturne of Shadow until you've beaten Forest/Fire/Water, and the Spirit Temple requires the bow/hammer/longshot to complete.

Smellycat

I just beat the game!!! It took me about 34 hours to finish the normal mode. I have never played this game before, so I finally got to see for myself why it is considered the greatest game of all time. It is amazing how the gameplay mechanics and level design are still great! I simply loved this game, but I did have some issues with how sometimes the game was really vague about what you are supposed to do. For example
I had to look up online to find out how to empty the well

But these problems were pretty minor, and I thoroughly enjoyed this game, and I can't wait to play Skyward Sword and see how it lays down the foundation for this game.

I am trying to figure out if I should play the Master Quest mode now. I don't want to be burned out on zelda by the time SS comes out.

McNum

Kazerei said:
I think the Forest/Fire/Water Temples can be done in any order, just as Shadow/Spirit can be done either way. But Forest/Fire/Water must all be completed before Shadow/Spirit, without using glitches. Shiek won't teach you the Nocturne of Shadow until you've beaten Forest/Fire/Water, and the Spirit Temple requires the bow/hammer/longshot to complete.
I completed Spirit right after Forest in Master Quest. No glitches. It's, however, easier to do this in Master Quest as both Water and Fire temples are very generous in how early you get the Longshot and Hammer. just did a couple of smash and grabs in those temples before I headed off to the desert. Why? Naryu's Love, of course! You get it so late it's almost useless if you do the standard order, but get to the Desert Colossus early and you'll have it for every temple except Forest.

Top Bottom