• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

pramath

Banned
Well, I just finished this version on Monday, and I think that while parts of it haven't aged well (Hyrule Field is mostly empty, and there isn't much to do in the overworld), the dungeon and level design is immaculate, particularly in the final third of the game, after you get past the darned Water Temple. The music is as good as ever, the graphics are wonderful, the 3D is incredible, the controls were remapped expertly, and the game is slightly easier than I remember it to be.
All in all, great remake of a great game. A Link to the Past is still much better though.

Peagles

Nocturnowl said:
I think the rules have changed, if you jump off a ledge then you can't roll but if you hang down and drop then you'll be able to roll when you reach the ground.
At least I think that was the switch.

Hmmm I think I got tricked by this in the 3DS version. If I remember right, you read it in a sign or somebody tells you about it when you're near Death Mountain Crater. That's why I always jump off that huge cliff and then roll. But now that I think back, when I tried on 3DS, I couldn't pull it off. I thought it was unusual but just shrugged it off at the time. Hmmm...

Alex

To me, it's aged well in terms of basic elements and the flow of the game, all of which hold up very nicely, no real mechanical faults or offensive spots but nowadays... it's just rather dull. It's sort of an empty, lonely experience and it just feels too basic to keep my attention for long. I'm sure that's an appeal to some people, but to me I just get bored and turn it off after a small session and move onto something else.

I mean, when I'm playing, mostly I just think man... I sure miss those fleshed out Twilight Princess dungeons. Hoo did TP have some wonderful dungeon designs.

I can go back and play Mario 64 and still be pretty entertained, it still has a somewhat unique design type when compared to the Galaxy games, for example, but Zelda was less evolution and change and more mastery through reiteration and flourish. Majora's Mask and Wind Waker sort of side stepepd this by also adopting a great sense of style and personal identity but Ocarina just feels left behind, to me, anyhow.

But whatever, Skyward looks like it's fixing darn near every complaint I've ever had with Zelda, so I find it hard to be mournful about Ocarina.

Since we don't have a b/s/t thread right now, I should mention here that I'm selling my mint/pristine/barely played copy for 21 shipped. I bought it with a recently purchased 3DS, but I don't have time for it.

Jimmy Stav said:
Since we don't have a b/s/t thread right now, I should mention here that I'm selling my mint/pristine/barely played copy for 21 shipped. I bought it with a recently purchased 3DS, but I don't have time for it.
It's on the Community forum.

Link83

Just finished this for the first time in 10 years, and as a huge fan of the original its still an amazing game.

However, I do have a few nitpicks about this remake. Don't get me wrong, its still fantastic and Grezzo has done an amazing job, but there are some things that bug me...

Firstly, the framerate isnt quite as silky smooth as I had hoped, it seems to fluctuate quite a bit. Even though its 30fps instead of the originals 20fps, its feels less 'consistent' to me - especially noticeable inside dungeons. Outside areas like Hyrule Field mostly appear nice and smooth. However, as soon as you start cutting grass, smashing pots, or blowing up rings of stones it can really slow the framerate down a lot, I noticed this everywhere - Hyrule Field, Lake Hylia, Desert Colossus - anywhere where you can cut large patches of grass or blow up rings of stones. The fishing pond particularly suffers from this. To me it just feels like Grezzo were not given enough time to optimise the object code when multiple moving objects are on the screen (i.e. enemies, fish, items, rupees, hearts etc) Since the 3DS seems technically capable of much more graphically intensive games, i'm sure its not a hardware issue. If Grezzo had been given a couple of months more development time i'm sure this could have been sorted.

Also, I was a bit disapointed with the changes made to the final battle, some people may not notice, but having played the original final battle 20 times or more they seemed obvious to me. Granted they are all very minor changes, but for me the entire 'tone' of the battle was changed and had much less suspense/impact. Here are some notes of the changes and comparison pics (Doesn't neogaf have any show/hide tags? I have had to link to the pictures instead because the spoiler tags dont hide them)
One of my favourite scenes in the original N64 version, just after gefeating Ganondorf the walls and windows start to disintegrate. In the 3DS you just get some 'white snow' effect? The original effect looks much better in motion
http://imageshack.us/a/img560/6784/aq8c.png

Moving on to Ganondorfs transformation, I took these pictures from the following two youtube videos:-
N64
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DMsjR-LE60&feature=player_detailpage#t=2s
3DS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vX6DbcmC6vY#t=357s

N64 - Ganondorf raises his hand showing that he's 'using' the triforce of power
3DS - This shot has been reframed and it now looks like hes shaking his fist at Link.
http://imageshack.us/a/img854/1368/b2j8.png

N64 - Ganondorf falls back and there is a deliberate blue/white flash surrounding him so that you cant quite see whats happening
3DS - Ganondorf is surrounded by a white mist? You can see everything and there is no mystery.
http://imageshack.us/a/img89/1079/59wp.png

N64 - As the camera pulls out the black outline of Ganon is slowly revealed as the blue/white flash fades away
3DS - Nothing is kept hidden, so there isnt really any suspense
http://imageshack.us/a/img689/9039/3a40.png

N64 - Ganon's full shape is revealed for the first time as two lightening strikes lights up the sky for a split second
3DS - Some dull white flash in the sky, you dont see the lightening strikes and you could already see Ganon before anyway
http://imageshack.us/a/img801/2931/4c52.png

N64 - As the word 'Ganon' appears on screen, his silhouette can be seens against the cloudy sky, he has glowing eyes and shiny gold swords
3DS - You can see everything so the eyes dont stand out, the swords are not shiny
http://imageshack.us/a/img7/7107/zvl8.png

N64 - One of my favourite parts, just after the transformation Ganon raises both swords in the sky as though in anger/frustration at Link, and then starts swinging his swords
3DS - This has been cut out! Ganon just starts wildly swing his swords.
http://imageshack.us/a/img138/8201/enby.png

N64 - Ganon pushes his chest out holding his swords at an angle as though making a 'bring it on' pose
3DS - Ganon just stands there with his arms in the air?
http://imageshack.us/a/img819/2880/uf8n.png

Yen

I'm stuck in the Fire Temple:
When you first walk in, to the left of the stairs there is a door which shows Goron behind bars. How do I free him? On the other side of the steps, there is a platform blocking the door. How do I open it?
I've probably freed three or four Gorons already. Though I haven't played for a month so my mind is hazy,

Finally picked up a 3DS along with a copy of this game.

I've started the game numerous times on the N64 and the GC, but I've never gotten past the
Temple of Time
, and I'm hoping to finally finish it this time.

I just beat the first dungeon and I'm really enjoying all the new improvements to the game. For a first-timer, are there any big things that I shouldn't try to miss out on during a first playthrough?

Roto13

drtomoe123 said:

I've started the game numerous times on the N64 and the GC, but I've never gotten past the
Temple of Time

I just beat the first dungeon and I'm really enjoying all the new improvements to the game. For a first-timer, are there any big things that I shouldn't try to miss out on during a first playthrough?
Well nothing is permanently missable or anything, so just take your time, explore, and enjoy.

Mistle

drtomoe123 said:

Temple of Time

Wow, never gotten past that point? You have a whole adventure ahead of you! Have fun.

I don't think there's much you can miss out on. Just explore, talk to people, don't rush, and you should come upon most sidequests naturally.

Yuripaw

Banned
God dammit, it's totally happening again. Been enjoying this game on the 3DS, haven't played it in years...but the damn Water Temple is totally fucking with my head. It feels like I've been everywhere I can go, because I need the longer hookshot. I found the map and compass, and that's it. I can't find any other spot that I can get to.

Edit: Oh shit, right after I typed this, I totally just noticed a new spot I could reach and found another small key... :)

SmokyDave

I miss the little jingle that played when you changed menu screens on the N64 version.

Apart from that, I'm really enjoying playing OoT again. I like the 3D and gyro stuff too.

Yuripaw

Banned
Ugh, nevermind...as soon as I went through the next door with a key, there was yet ANOTHER door with a key I need to open right beyond it, and I see no other paths :( Lost again

Yuripaw said:
Ugh, nevermind...as soon as I went through the next door with a key, there was yet ANOTHER door with a key I need to open right beyond it, and I see no other paths :( Lost again

Did you check inside the central tower yet? Thoroughly?

Yuripaw

Banned
Electivirus said:
Did you check inside the central tower yet? Thoroughly?
Kinda, it seems like maybe of the hookshot icons there also require the longer hookshot which I still dont have.

Yuripaw said:
Kinda, it seems like maybe of the hookshot icons there also require the longer hookshot which I still dont have.
I don't think all do..you should be able to change the water level inside there before you get the longshot.

Yuripaw

Banned
Jaded Alyx said:
I don't think all do..you should be able to change the water level inside there before you get the longshot.
Well yeah, that's not the problem.
There are 3 levels, low, middle, and high...inside the central tower I know you can raise it to the middle. Having it at the middle level helped me discover I could reach an area that had a spot I could blast open with a bomb, and that's how I found this new small key. With the small key, I thought I would use it on the only door I could reach, which took me to a place where a bunch of platforms run down a waterfall...at the top of this waterfall is yet another friggin door that requires a key...
Back to square one

Yen

"When water fills the lake,
shoot for the morning light"

This is found after you finish the Water Temple. What do I do? I'm firing arrows at the Sun but nothing seems to be happening.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Play the suns song and wait for the sun to rise. As you see it rising in the distance, shoot at it with the bow.

Yenrot said:

This is found after you finish the Water Temple. What do I do? I'm firing arrows at the Sun but nothing seems to be happening.

Shoot at it as it comes up between the two pillars. Make sure you use the sun's song to save yourself some time, don't wait around for sunrise.

olimpia84

Yenrot said:

You have to
shoot arrows at the sun when it's raising up early in the morning (facing the grave where you read the description)

edit: damn, late by two posts

Thinking about getting a 3DS just for this game. I'm in a huge Zelda nostalgia kick in anticipation for Skyward Sword. But.. I know I'll regret buying it now when the revision comes out whenever it does.

Anyone want to let me borrow their 3DS? :)

Yuripaw said:
Well yeah, that's not the problem.
There are 3 levels, low, middle, and high...inside the central tower I know you can raise it to the middle. Having it at the middle level helped me discover I could reach an area that had a spot I could blast open with a bomb, and that's how I found this new small key. With the small key, I thought I would use it on the only door I could reach, which took me to a place where a bunch of platforms run down a waterfall...at the top of this waterfall is yet another friggin door that requires a key...
Back to square one

Have you
equipped the iron boots to check underneath the stone platform in the central column? The one that floats up when you raise the water? There's an easy to miss key on that route. The one with the bombed wall was another one easy to miss, but you've got that.
It sounds like you're nearly there anyway.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I'm surprised at how different Master Quest is from the main game. I thought all that would be different is you lose more damage and enemies are harder but I'm pretty surprised that
most of the dungeons have been designed differently somewhat, with different enemies appearing in places they usually wouldn't appear in and what not

It really makes a second playthrough worth it.

Levyne

Banned
peppermints said:
Thinking about getting a 3DS just for this game. I'm in a huge Zelda nostalgia kick in anticipation for Skyward Sword. But.. I know I'll regret buying it now when the revision comes out whenever it does.

Anyone want to let me borrow their 3DS? :)

I feel the same. I bought this game when it came out, it's sitting on my shelf as I wait for a 3DS revision.

Gonna stick to my guns and hold out....I hope.

DeMeester

Alex said:
To me, it's aged well in terms of basic elements and the flow of the game, all of which hold up very nicely, no real mechanical faults or offensive spots but nowadays... it's just rather dull. It's sort of an empty, lonely experience and it just feels too basic to keep my attention for long. I'm sure that's an appeal to some people, but to me I just get bored and turn it off after a small session and move onto something else.

I'm sort of experiencing the same thing. And at the moment it stops me from moving onward and completing the game again. It's a real shame because I remember fondly how I really likes this game when I first played it in 1998. Besides that I didn't know that the camera controls were so bad.

Khold said:
I feel the same. I bought this game when it came out, it's sitting on my shelf as a wait for a 3DS revision.

Gonna stick to my guns and hold out....I hope.

When do you guys expect that they are going to release one?

They've just announced that classic controller type accessory, they've just released the red model, and a white / pink model elsewhere, they are bundling all of these over the holidays with Mario 3d Land -- at E3 they'll be having their Wii-U re-unveiling (we might hear something about Wii-U beforehand in fact). They could be aiming for a release of that console anytime from the Summer to December... if they're serious about ensuring Wii-U doesn't have the launch 3DS had, are they really going to want to divide their attention on launching a handheld revision too? If sales bottomed out I could see them bringing out a panicked revision, but this holiday season marks the point where sales are only just starting to accelerate.

Basically, I don't see a revision in 2012 as particularly likely, and it remains to be seen what a revision would actually include / entail. Everything about a fabled revision is pure guesswork and speculation, there are no rumours about one in development, certainly not any that can be proven to be actually founded on anything other than gossip. They will have something planned to boost sales later on down the line, certainly, they always do -- but it might not be anything worth missing out on games for.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I feel like Nintendo will be more busy next year in making sure the Wii U launch wont be another disaster. I don't expect to see a 3DS revision until its release.

And buying a game and waiting for a console revision before playing it sounds very...weird to me. :lol

Levyne

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:
When do you guys expect that they are going to release one?

They've just announced that classic controller type accessory, they've just released the red model, and a white / pink model elsewhere, they are bundling all of these over the holidays with Mario 3d Land -- at E3 they'll be having their Wii-U re-unveiling (we might hear something about Wii-U beforehand in fact). They could be aiming for a release of that console anytime from the Summer to December... if they're serious about ensuring Wii-U doesn't have the launch 3DS had, are they really going to want to divide their attention on launching a handheld revision too? If sales bottomed out I could see them bringing out a panicked revision, but this holiday season marks the point where sales are only just starting to accelerate.

Basically, I don't see a revision in 2012 as particularly likely, and it remains to be seen what a revision would actually include / entail. Everything about a fabled revision is pure guesswork and speculation, there are no rumours about one in development, certainly not any that can be proven to be actually founded on anything other than gossip. They will have something planned to boost sales later on down the line, certainly, they always do -- but it might not be anything worth missing out on games for.

Yeah, Holiday 2012 would be too early to expect to see anything I think. My hope is we'll see it Summer-Holiday 2013. I don't really expect to see the revision announced at an E3 eventbecause the DSi and DSiXL weren't (iirc).

Pachimari

Woah, I never thought I would progress!
I finally found enough rupees to buy a shield and I found the sword. It was offensively easy lol. And I got stuck within five minutes when I tried it out for the first time on Gamecube, the second time is with this 3D version on 3DS.

Majestic music and I love the color palette and 3D effect - I guess I'm in for a ride now! I never gave up with this game, I really wanted to like it, and now I have a shot of at least getting further into the story and universe of Zelda. =)

I honestly don't know what to expect, but I always wanted to love Zelda, and hope I'll love it when finished.

Bought this on release day back in June and due to some other games in my backlog I just now finally got around to finishing it about 15 minutes ago, what a fantastic remake. Forgot about how great the the ending was. I love how it kind of reminds me of
the end of Return of the Jedi with the Ewoks and all the other characters dancing, haha.
Got all 100 Gold Sulltulas for the first time. Collecting them was fun and to get 'em all is satisfying but....never again. Whenever I get around to finally playing Master Quest I'll look for the small handful specific to that but seriously, the spider people in that house are doomed next time. Agreed that Hyrule Field is ridiculously sparse, especially in the adult quest. Why does child Link get to fight giant Peahats and mini Stalfos and Adult link gets nothing except the dumb Poe hunt? I understand recreating the overall game itself as close to the original but they could have at least livened the field up a bit this time with a few more enemies here and there. Really glad to hear Skyward Sword is loaded with action outside the dungeons.

Made another thread about it but finally finished this over the weekend (I know it's Wed. now). first time I've ever beaten it. Always lost interest with the N64 version at some point over the years.
Glad I did. Some parts haven't aged well (mostly with it communicating on what you need/where to go sometimes) but for the most part, everything else has.
Only had to refer to a FAQ a handful of times, so didn't feel to guilty.

So elated i've finally beaten a Zelda game at 28 years old. Now i'm working on TP and have a new found appreciation for it (and the franchise in general). Enjoying it so much more now.

Roto13

I quit at the Fire Temple in Master Quest on 3DS because I was burnt out. (ha.) I finished Master Quest on GameCube years ago, so whatever.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I think Jocchan's OP should be on the GAF guidelines as "how to make a GAF |OT|", such a nice balance between eye-pleasing and informative without being overbloated.
What a nice job.

Anyway, after I beat
The shadow Temple and get the medallion
where should I go/do?

Dash Kappei said:
I think Jocchan's OP should be on the GAF guidelines as "how to make a GAF |OT|", such a nice balance between eye-pleasing and informative without being overbloated.
What a nice job.

Anyway, after I beat
The shadow Temple and get the medallion
where should I go/do?
Do you have the Lens of Truth yet? If not, go to Kakariko village in the past and play the Song of Storms in the windmill to drain the water from the well.

If you've got it, go to the Gerudo Desert.

Dash Kappei

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Do you have the Lens of Truth yet? If not, go to Kakariko village in the past and play the Song of Storms in the windmill to drain the water from the well.

If you've got it, go to the Gerudo Desert.
Well yes I have that since you can't beat that dungeon (and the boss) without it.
I'm off there than, can I go as an adult still?

Thanks!

Dash Kappei said:
Well yes I have that since you can't beat that dungeon (and the boss) without it.
I'm off there than, can I go as an adult still?

Thanks!
the dungeon is one part as a kid and one part as an adult if I recall. Kid being first.

Dash Kappei

Thanks guys :)
Hopefully I won't get stuck again. It's unbelievable that I've never beat the game despite owning it on N64 + Gamecube and with ALTTP being quite possibly my favourite non-arcade game ever, but soon after the N64 release I took a break from videogames that lasted till the Dreamcast launched (DAT CALIBUR).

Top Bottom