• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

Smellycat said:
I forgot to add that while this is a good game, it really could have been better if the developers were more open minded. I wanted to see an open world with an engaging story and awesome voice acting. I also want to customize Link's boots, swords, and hair. It seems to me that the options in this game were limited.
Um, what?

After never playing this game before and making it to the water temple now... I have to say I'm disappointed. Expected something more after all the hype. Guess it's another case of "you had to be there". Or I'm just tired to the Zelda franchise.

Madao

schennmu said:
After never playing this game before and making it to the water temple now... I have to say I'm disappointed. Expected something more after all the hype. Guess it's another case of "you had to be there". Or I'm just tired to the Zelda franchise.

people sucked. water temple was never that hard. (though the switchable boots mechanic makes it far more fluid)

Mzo

Smellycat said:
I forgot to add that while this is a good game, it really could have been better if the developers were more open minded. I wanted to see an open world with an engaging story and awesome voice acting. I also want to customize Link's boots, swords, and hair. It seems to me that the options in this game were limited.
On an N64 cartridge? Your expectations were pretty unreasonable.

Also the water temple was slightly nerfed in this release. Color-coded water level switches and I think I read that there's a camera angle now that shows you that damn key in the hole revealed by a floating block. That's what had me stumped for about a day back when the original was released.

Bankoiia

I just started an interesting challenge in the original game. Three hearts, no upgrades, one bottle and using the broken giant's knife to fight.

Going toe to toe with the stalfos in the Forest Temple is nerve-wracking because they'll down you in one hit. Makes me appreciate using the hookshot for stuns.

Water temple next, without using the blue tunic. I think it can be done.

Yousefb

Smellycat said:
I can't tell if this is serious or mocking that IGN article

Smellycat said:
nice one, lol

The Hermit

Finished normal mode for like the 10th time (played the other 9 in my n64) and I am starting my first time ever of Master Quest.

Something I realized only on this playtrough though is that all Sages actually died (that explains why Zora King and Mido are sad at the ending). I think I never realized that before maybe because I was too young and the game never tells you that...

Well I'm making slow but steady progress. Just wrapped up the Shadow Temple this morning. Really hoping to beat the game this weekend - been putting an hour in here and there since release. Water dungeon wasn't too bad this time around - I think I had more trouble in the Twilight Princess dungeon with the flowing water.

edit: for the first time since the late 90's, I finally beat OoT again. Makes me want to play Wind Waker and Twilight Princess - especially Twilight Princess since I know Wind Waker by heart - Twilight Princess seems to be a vague memory now. Also have Darksiders in my backlog - look forward to going through that.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
I went to the top of Death Mountain just to stare at the stars in the night sky. I must have been up there for days.

Damn this game is amazing.

BLagiver

Banned
Is there any other Zelda where you can change outfit colors like in LttP? In LttP in like 2 different dungeons there was a red outfit and blue one. You couldn't change back once you got the new clothes but it was still awesome seeing your clothes change and just the progression of progress and seeing your character get stronger. The different shields you could get also added to this.

Alrus

Baiano19 said:
Something I realized only on this playtrough though is that all Sages actually died (that explains why Zora King and Mido are sad at the ending). I think I never realized that before maybe because I was too young and the game never tells you that...

Yep I never noticed that before either. Made me sad when I realized :(

Javier

BLagiver said:
Is there any other Zelda where you can change outfit colors like in LttP? In LttP in like 2 different dungeons there was a red outfit and blue one. You couldn't change back once you got the new clothes but it was still awesome seeing your clothes change and just the progression of progress and seeing your character get stronger. The different shields you could get also added to this.
Zelda 1. You can get the first upgrade as early as before the first dungeon, and the second very late in the game.

Arren

Alrus said:
Yep I never noticed that before either. Made me sad when I realized :(
I don't think the Sages are dead at all, except maybe Rauru.

You can speak to Saria while you're still venturing through Forest Temple, for instance. Or when Koume and Kotake shoot that final fireball against Nabooru, they later mention they could attempt to brainwash her again if need arises.

I think they're simply trapped by the darkness that invaded their respective temples, hence the need for Link to rescue them, lead them to the Sacred Realm and allow their power to be employed against Ganon.

Still have this game on the mind, but waiting a bit to replay it. I would love to read early fan reactions of the 90's to the name. Sure they were quick to judge, claiming it could never live up to LttP. Hah.

oatmeal

Banned
MasterAJ22 said:
Still have this game on the mind, but waiting a bit to replay it. I would love to read early fan reactions of the 90's to the name. Sure they were quick to judge, claiming it could never live up to LttP. Hah.

Things were different before GAF.

Peagles

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I hate fishing >:-(

Why oh why is this atrocious, poorly explained minigame even in there?

You know, I used to be really good at it on the N64, but now... It's like I can't even land the smallest fish. They all just struggle for 5-10 min and I get no distance on the reel, it's like they actually get further and further away as I try to reel them in, and then it's all like "What happened? You lost it!"

I just don't get it anymore... I set the hook and reel it in, just like I always used to, but now I suck!

Shoogoo

It took me over a week to get past the Water Temple, what a painful drag..... I hated it. Next is Shadow Temple, any better?

Also, I can't for the love of me catch that stupid 13 pounds fish!

Myriadis

Shoogoo said:
It took me over a week to get past the Water Temple, what a painful drag..... I hated it. Next is Shadow Temple, any better?

Also, I can't for the love of me catch that stupid 13 pounds fish!

Shadow Temple and the temple after that are almost completely linear, so there's at least no confusion.

Madao

Stabby McSter said:
I'm probably late to the party on this, and there's a ton of posts to skim through, but anyone wanna try to explain this? D: (linked for maybe spoilers?) oh yeah, bad pic too, sry!

http://i56.tinypic.com/2m2to5e.jpg

also,
I don't remember Ganon being this easy. 10 year old me must've sucked!

to everyone's dismay,
they made Ganon easier. he's much easier to hit in the tail compared to the original thanks to the new model and brighter area.

After taking about a month or more break, I finally buckled down and finished the Water Temple ...this was always the wall I hit with the N64 version, so i'm pretty estactic. Only had to refer to a video walkthrough once just because I had no idea where I was supposed to go next with a key and because I had taken such an extensive break. It's not that it's hard, it's just tedious and you can easily loose your bearings the first time through.

So yeah, pretty excited as this might be the first Zelda I actually ever finish!

uchihasasuke said:
to everyone's dismay,
they made Ganon easier. he's much easier to hit in the tail compared to the original thanks to the new model and brighter area.
Actually, I did find that Ganon was easier, but not in his final form. I found that the addition of depth perception made Ganon Tennis SO much easier and motion-controlled arrows meant that I was able to hit him with light arrows before he went back to being invincible.

I was fighting the controls so much in the GCN version. ]

jackdoe

AgentOtaku said:
After taking about a month or more break, I finally buckled down and finished the Water Temple ...this was always the wall I hit with the N64 version, so i'm pretty estactic. Only had to refer to a video walkthrough once just because I had no idea where I was supposed to go next with a key and because I had taken such an extensive break. It's not that it's hard, it's just tedious and you can easily loose your bearings the first time through.

So yeah, pretty excited as this might be the first Zelda I actually ever finish!
Haha. I just took a break at the Water Temple as well. I've already beaten the temple twice, once on the N64 and once on the GC, but it's just so tedious that I needed a break.

Peagles

Peagles said:
You know, I used to be really good at it on the N64, but now... It's like I can't even land the smallest fish. They all just struggle for 5-10 min and I get no distance on the reel, it's like they actually get further and further away as I try to reel them in, and then it's all like "What happened? You lost it!"

I just don't get it anymore... I set the hook and reel it in, just like I always used to, but now I suck!

Actually never mind...
After writing that last night I was all determined and stuff so I went and got the golden scale and the sinking lure and caught the loach to make myself feel better :)))

I really hope that if they do go and make a MM remake, that they forgo the style of OoT and go all out on the visuals. OoT looked great, but it mirrored the original almost to a fault in the more open areas. I can understand why they did it, because the reverence that the original had and to provide nostalgia, but I am glad MM doesnt share half that if it means they can play around with it more. The prerendered areas where they had to redo everything looked amazing and i want to see more of that.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
MasterAJ22 said:
They were right, LttP is king.

I just ordered a 3DS and have OoT on the way. It's been years since I've played it and I'm so excited.

Gamer @ Heart said:
I really hope that if they do go and make a MM remake, that they forgo the style of OoT and go all out on the visuals. OoT looked great, but it mirrored the original almost to a fault in the more open areas. I can understand why they did it, because the reverence that the original had and to provide nostalgia, but I am glad MM doesnt share half that if it means they can play around with it more. The prerendered areas where they had to redo everything looked amazing and i want to see more of that.
I really just want a copy of Majora's Mask I can play without lugging out the N64. The Gamecube version gets random freezes and the Wii version has no rumble so good luck finding all those hidden grottos.

Alex

My DS conked out so I just bit the bullet and got a 3DS with OoT. Neat stuff so far, I need some of those circle pad caps though, as the slickness combined with the dead zone on them make my fingers slip from having to push to the edge for running.

jackdoe

Gamer @ Heart said:
Budget also played a LARGE part in it. The re-done "pre-rendered" areas looked sharp as hell though.

herod

I've got much further in this version than the awful blurry TV output of the N64 edition (with the horrible floppy joystick "thing" that I despise to this day).

I quite like how the various swooping and zooming effects they first used to show off polygonal 3D also lends itself very well to auto-stereoscopic 3D. This game has been particularly enjoyable with the slider up.

gkryhewy

I'm currently playing through this. Been messing with the slider a lot, and I think I actually prefer this one in 2D- which I feel sorta bad about, since this is a 3D showcase title. But the AA and seemingly-enhanced framerate in 2D make for really nice image quality. Coupled with not having to fuss with viewing angles... it's pretty good.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Just finished it, for the very first time!
I loved every minute of it, and I'm not sure I will play a game as good on 3DS for a very long time. It was simply fantastic.

I had owned it since release, but I just finally beat it
Wow... still the best game ever released.

Anyone else get misty eyed during the credits when the orchestrated Zelda theme kicked in?

MarkusRJR

I started a new game after I got sidetracked by school. How the hell do you roll after falling to avoid fall damage? I've tried multiple times and it seems literally impossible.

OMG Aero

Yaceka said:
I started a new game after I got sidetracked by school. How the hell do you roll after falling to avoid fall damage? I've tried multiple times and it seems literally impossible.
Yeah, I noticed that it seemed really hard to roll after falling in this version too. The only reason I could think of is maybe to roll you have to have the slide pad held perfectly up but with the slide pad I might be holding it slightly to the right or left as well.

OMG Aero said:
Yeah, I noticed that it seemed really hard to roll after falling in this version too. The only reason I could think of is maybe to roll you have to have the slide pad held perfectly up but with the slide pad I might be holding it slightly to the right or left as well.
I think the rules have changed, if you jump off a ledge then you can't roll but if you hang down and drop then you'll be able to roll when you reach the ground.
At least I think that was the switch.

Top Bottom