• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes |OT| Purple Link just didn't stay fresh enough.

Zero_IYAD

Anyone around to join me in an hour to clear Dunes (World 6) Challenges?

Edit:

CSlWwJfWEAASvY7.jpg

I've lucked out and had two good random teams in a row! Even when things got tough and we couldn't figure out how to proceed in time, we all jumped back in and tried new ways of working together. It's good to know not everyone is a bratty kid online, even if I know they're out there haha

So looks like I can finally join in a few days. I just want know something:

Is it easy find people to play with in Co Op and VS in US? With it being region locked and the low amount of sales in Japan it is kinda worrying. I'd assume its still fairly easy since its new, but I'd be afraid of not being to get into a game a year from now.

Also in the coop game I remember hearing you can choose a section of maps, which may make finding partners worse. Does it switch to searching for any maps after awhile or no?

Been really hyped for this since its been revealed so I guess I got no choice but to take a chance and hope the online community doesn't die out.

Now that I think about it I was also kinda hyped to play Federation Force online. While Zelda should be ok for awhile I don't think FF would be the same considering its perception lol.

*Insert more random rumblings here*

Will see yall online soon!

Kinsei

Banned
So looks like I can finally join in a few days. I just want know something:

Is it easy find people to play with in Co Op and VS in US? With it being region locked and the low amount of sales in Japan it is kinda worrying. I'd assume its still fairly easy since its new, but I'd be afraid of not being to get into a game a year from now.

Also in the coop game I remember hearing you can choose a section of maps, which may make finding partners worse. Does it switch to searching for any maps after awhile or no?

Been really hyped for this since its been revealed so I guess I got no choice but to take a chance and hope the online community doesn't die out.

Now that I think about it I was also kinda hyped to play Federation Force online. While Zelda should be ok for awhile I don't think FF would be the same considering its perception lol.

*Insert more random rumblings here*

Will see yall online soon!

I've had no trouble finding games with randoms.

Nope, you'll need to leave and select a different world when setting up your search for players. If you play with people on your friends list then you can choose any level you have unlocked.

Zero_IYAD

Yeah I've been pretty much unable to play as well. So weird since the game ran very well the first few days for me.
Chase, whenever you have time next week to play after 6 EST please let me know.
I'm about to break my 3DS here, I can't clear challenges, I can't grab an item.
The second they start losing or you pick a different challenge than their's they just quit.
I can't go on like this anymore.

I've had no trouble finding games with randoms.

Nope, you'll need to leave and select a different world when setting up your search for players. If you play with people on your friends list then you can choose any level you have unlocked.
Alright thanks for the answers! :)

The game is unplayable in the US server.
Don't bother buying it really.
I can't finish 2 stages in an hour for the past 3 days.
Sounds like the Smash 3DS problem of "everyone needing good connection" so I guess it'll be like Smash and which I get good games and bad. Except its now 3 players instead of two. Well I managed 400 hours of Smash so I'll just keep searching for better games. Demo was too fun to pass up.

Zero_IYAD

Sounds like the Smash 3DS problem of "everyone needing good connection" so I guess it'll be like Smash and which I get good games and bad. Except its now 3 players instead of two. Well I managed 400 hours of Smash so I'll just keep searching for better games. Demo was too fun to pass up.
Believe me, it's NOTHING like Smash.
I never in my whole life experienced such horrible online functionality.
I totally understand how hyped you are to get this game & how great the demo was, IT IS one of the best co-op games of all time for me, but it passed that 'sweet week', now it's just hell, a countless number of quitters just because you don't pick their stage or you start beating them.
Your call, but in my humble opinion, buying the game now is burning 40 $ & burning your nerves.
UNLESS you have someone you can play with the whole game.

I've been playing for a few days now in all modes, fact remains it's not everybody and the word "unplayable" is a reflection of your frustration.

Zero_IYAD

I spent 8 hours on the game today, okey?
In 8 hours last week I cleared 4 of the 8 worlds with 2 fellow GAFers.
The 8 hours I spent today; I cleared exactly 5 Challenges + got 3 other items needed from previous stages.
Spent at least 2 hours in the coliseum, hardly completed 10 games without a quitter or a disconnect from one of the other 2 players.
My internet connection is perfect, everything is fine on my end.
This IS burning 40 $ on an UNPLAYABLE game for me.
Glad I spent last week with fellow GAFers playing this, but if you don't have friends to progress with in this game, it's a useless one.

I spent 8 hours on the game today, okey?
In 8 hours last week I cleared 4 of the 8 worlds with 2 fellow GAFers.
The 8 hours I spent today; I cleared exactly 5 Challenges + got 3 other items needed from previous stages.
Spent at least 2 hours in the coliseum, hardly completed 10 games without a quitter or a disconnect from one of the other 2 players.
My internet connection is perfect, everything is fine on my end.
This IS burning 40 $ on an UNPLAYABLE game for me.
Glad I spent last week with fellow GAFers playing this, but if you don't have friends to progress with in this game, it's a useless one.

I don't doubt your experience and I certainly hope there is a solution out there for you :) no one likes to pay for something that doesn't work, if you have the time and inclination I'd certainly, at the very least, complain to Nintendo if I was in your shoes.

Zero_IYAD

I don't doubt your experience and I certainly hope there is a solution out there for you :) no one likes to pay for something that doesn't work, if you have the time and inclination I'd certainly, at the very least, complain to Nintendo if I was in your shoes.
Back when some gaming websites started spreading the news that the game is region-locked by IP, I contacted Nintendo & explained I'm a doctor on a volunteer mission in the Middle East..
They couldn't even give me an answer if I can play the game or not!!
They are THAT BAD when it comes to anything outside North America.
Of course that news was false & the game was luckily (?) region-locked by server only.
So really I'll gain nothing talking to them.
I ended up putting 50 hours in the game so far. Again, I LOVE IT, when it was working with decent people.
The amount of people I blacklisted today alone is easily >50 ! That's bad online function Nintendo.
Aaaaah, sorry for gushing -.-

ruffles

I've been playing with randoms tonight and it has not been a smooth experience like it was last week. I've had at least 4 disconnects in the past 2 hours.

Chase17

Chase, whenever you have time next week to play after 6 EST please let me know.
I'm about to break my 3DS here, I can't clear challenges, I can't grab an item.
The second they start losing or you pick a different challenge than their's they just quit.
I can't go on like this anymore.
Will do. There should be a few nights next week where I'm able to play. I'll let you know!

Kinsei

Banned
I really hope that the Redeads in this game are a one off and not a template going forward. It was neat that we got clay Redeads but I don't want future games beholden to the stupid Smash retcons.

Adamator

Good evening. Anyone up for a game? It will be my first time playing the full game online. I played the demo and had the game all week, but hadn't had a chance to try it til now.

Friend code is in spreadsheet but her it is.

4441-8318-5739

KingBroly

Banned
This game just feels so...inconvenient.

Wanna look at a Materials list? Well you have to talk to an NPC

Want to block a player? Hold their Player Profile in an active game and hit A or B, then say Yes or No.

Want a specific item? Random drop after 5-15 minutes of play.

Want to change some settings? Save+Quit and change them on the main menu

Want to use the touch screen? Well, it doesn't do anything unless you talk to an NPC or are in-game.

Want to create a new costume? Well back out of a game and go make one.

Want to play with 2 players? Too bad. 1 or 3 only.

There are so many problems in this game. Every single one of them holds it back. Some are minor, some are huge. And the ones I listed don't even mention how POOR the netcode is in this game. Sometimes I wonder if they grabbed the netcode from Brawl and slapped it in there (I know that's not how it works, btw). It feels like this game was made in 3 months or so in some places, considering how much lack of thought there is in a lot of areas. Not to mention that some of things in the game, the Time Challenges in particular, NEED 3 players to complete. Single Player simply won't work.

This game can be so much fun when it works precisely when it needs to. The problem is that it simply doesn't. The Friend Tokens are another aspect that just feels like something that was done to punish players who don't have local friends. It's bullshit. If they delayed it 4-5 months, it could have been something much more than a mess.

Mr-Joker

Banned
This game just feels so...inconvenient.

Wanna look at a Materials list? Well you have to talk to an NPC

Want to block a player? Hold their Player Profile in an active game and hit A or B, then say Yes or No.

Want a specific item? Random drop after 5-15 minutes of play.

Want to change some settings? Save+Quit and change them on the main menu

Want to use the touch screen? Well, it doesn't do anything unless you talk to an NPC or are in-game.

Want to create a new costume? Well back out of a game and go make one.

Want to play with 2 players? Too bad. 1 or 3 only.

There are so many problems in this game. Every single one of them holds it back. Some are minor, some are huge. And the ones I listed don't even mention how POOR the netcode is in this game. Sometimes I wonder if they grabbed the netcode from Brawl and slapped it in there (I know that's not how it works, btw). It feels like this game was made in 3 months or so in some places, considering how much lack of thought there is in a lot of areas. Not to mention that some of things in the game, the Time Challenges in particular, NEED 3 players to complete. Single Player simply won't work.

This game can be so much fun when it works precisely when it needs to. The problem is that it simply doesn't. The Friend Tokens are another aspect that just feels like something that was done to punish players who don't have local friends. It's bullshit. If they delayed it 4-5 months, it could have been something much more than a mess.

Not to mention single player is unplayable and is frustrating for anyone going alone.

Kinsei

Banned
Oh, interesting. So basically from your POV it's better than FSA (which I liked a lot, even in SP).

I might have to give it a try sometime!

Actually thinking back on FSA (I assume you mean Adventure on the Gamecube?) it might be a bit better in the single player department due to it's more traditional setup.

Not

Banned
Just tried the online demo today. Was a blast, my teammates were fairly competent. I think we just need an "lol" emoticon and a "not that item" emoticon and we'd be set

Was also a bummer when we were trying to move the block with the a button and just ended up toteming all the time while getting scorched with lava

Croc

Banned
So are there any known issues with online with this? I just got this today and have tried playing two matches and both so far have ended with errors towards the end of the level. Not a great way to start off my experience with this game and am really discouraged so far.

Zero_IYAD

After 3 horrible nights, today was finally a good one for me.
Met 2 great strangers & we cleared all Dunes Challenges.
I loooveee this game when it works the way it should.
Not sure tho how am I gonna meet such good people to finish the last 2 worlds :(

So are there any known issues with online with this? I just got this today and have tried playing two matches and both so far have ended with errors towards the end of the level. Not a great way to start off my experience with this game and am really discouraged so far.

It used to be bad for me, but now it's pretty stable. Using a JP 3DS outside Japan.

TheMoon

Not to mention single player is unplayable and is frustrating for anyone going alone.

Stop saying it's unplayable when it clearly is not unplayable. Say you find it annoying or too hard or whatever but this "unplayable" stuff is nonsense.

Formless

Been playing for an hour and I havent been able to complete a damn level in the Dunes. People keep disconnecting or failing on the vulture boss, not understanding the concept of counterweights..

Kinsei

Banned
Been playing for an hour and I havent been able to complete a damn level in the Dunes. People keep disconnecting or failing on the vulture boss, not understanding the concept of counterweights..

No counterweights needed since you can kill the vulture boss while everyone stands in the center. Have someone use the boomeranger suit and throw the boomerang at it every time it lands.

Formless

No counterweights needed since you can kill the vulture boss while everyone stands in the center. Have someone use the boomeranger suit and throw the boomerang at it every time it lands.

Relying on a certain suit with randos isnt, well, reliable.

TheMoon

Huh? I had to run to the ledge even as a Boomeranger every time. Did you use that method? Does it really reach that far?!

CMO

Neo Member
Anyone in the EU want to play some Dunes? Added my friend code to the google doc.
I just spent all day playing with randoms and only finished two levels...
People sure seem to have a problem with understanding those balancing platforms!

Kinsei

Banned
Relying on a certain suit with randos isnt, well, reliable.

The boss should die fast enough that you shouldn't have to worry about the randoms getting killed.

Huh? I had to run to the ledge even as a Boomeranger every time. Did you use that method? Does it really reach that far?!

Go to the ledge press and hold Y and then run back to the center. As long as you hold Y the boomerang will stay in position.

Top Bottom