• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes |OT| Purple Link just didn't stay fresh enough.

DontBlink

I swear I must've played with a 5yo or some one never played any Zelda games, guy could not figure out how to move blocks in the Fire Temple and would just keep walking into the fire....

Anyone in US want to play casually? Meaning I just got the the 3rd world so I'm looking to beat all the levels in order first, without worrying about the challenges.

127/128
One last challenge to go, Beating the final boss under time limit.
Is there anyone to help T_T ?

I did that with a couple of randoms, and we had like 200 seconds to spare when we stepped onto the final Triforce. I think the hardest timed challenge is the Cove of Transition one.

TheMoon

Still early on in the game (hard to round up friends to play with, don't want to play online too much), but is there a better way to get friendship tokens outside of reformatting the 3ds every time? Deleting the extra data didn't work :/

Yes there is a better way. Have 8 friends with 3DSes. ^^

Zero_IYAD

I did that with a couple of randoms, and we had like 200 seconds to spare when we stepped onto the final Triforce. I think the hardest timed challenge is the Cove of Transition one.
Hardest 2 challenges for me:
- Bomb Storage under time limit.
- Mine stage 'Don't pop any balloon'.

TheGrue

Trying to figure out why this game seems to get so much negativity. Is it because people thought it was going to be a typical Zelda game and then found out it wasn't? I always knew what it was going to be, so had no expectation otherwise. I love getting online with randoms and working out the puzzles together. Lots of fun.

Trying to figure out why this game seems to get so much negativity. Is it because people thought it was going to be a typical Zelda game and then found out it wasn't? I always knew what it was going to be, so had no expectation otherwise. I love getting online with randoms and working out the puzzles together. Lots of fun.

Really? Seems pretty obvious why it got a negative reception. Single player is trash, Online is full of lag and trolls, and most of the challenges are unfun. It's fun locally though, and with friends the first time through. I knew what it was going to be, but it doesn't mean it doesn't have flaws to call out on. The reception is pretty much on point.

TheGrue

Really? Seems pretty obvious why it got a negative reception. Single player is trash, Online is full of lag and trolls, and most of the challenges are unfun. It's fun locally though, and with friends the first time through. I knew what it was going to be, but it doesn't mean it doesn't have flaws to call out on. The reception is pretty much on point.

I didn't buy this thing for single player, though, as this game to me was a multiplayer game first and foremost. I think I've played once and it seemed alright. I've not run into any trolls and I've only had a couple of games with bad lag. Challenges seem alright as well.

I didn't buy this thing for single player, though, as this game to me was a multiplayer game first and foremost. I think I've played once and it seemed alright. I've not run into any trolls and I've only had a couple of games with bad lag. Challenges seem alright as well.

Well that's great and all, but this game has a single player component and it's going to be judged. It being a multiplayer game first isn't a get out of jail free card from criticism of the single player. You should probably play more than once to actually see how bad the single player is. It's not really clear just based on the Woodlands, but things are a clusterfuck later on. Glad you've had a nice online experience so far. The last week or so has been bad with lag, disconnects, and jerks quitting out of a level just because they didn't get the mission they wanted. I don't know how far you are, but a lot of the level challenges are more annoyances than anything else on top of the regular missions, like don't drop the pot, pop all of the balloons, no sword, don't pop all of the balloons, half health, half energy, less damage and less defense, timed challenges, carry the orb, in the dark, and combinations of everything. I think the only missions that are sort of fun are the bomb ones since the bomb suit is available to everyone pretty early and it lets you go hogwild with explosives.

killroy87

The hilarious part is, there are ways the single player could have been much better, even with two simple additions;

1) just allow some basic commands to the things. Follow, Stay here, come back, etc.
2) allow you to switch your place on the totem on the fly.

There, boom. I just made the single player much more doable.

llaannccee

Any Eu people want to help me finish the game? Have 7 challenges left. It's now more difficult getting 2 players to pick the level i want than playing the challenges.

Soooo....is this worthless as a single player game? I'm not expecting greatness. As long as it's somewhat enjoyable solo, I'll be satisfied. I've been having major internet problems recently, so online is likely out of the question, at least for the time being.

TheMoon

Soooo....is this worthless as a single player game? I'm not expecting greatness. As long as it's somewhat enjoyable solo, I'll be satisfied. I've been having major internet problems recently, so online is likely out of the question, at least for the time being.

Go for it. Don't listen to the hyperbole of the "it's unplayable" crowd. Complete nonsense. The singleplayer is a perfectly enjoyable romp with some annoying bits to deal with (constant switching between the three Links). The best part is no doubt the multiplayer with actual people but I'd still play it as a solo game if that's all I had access to.

Go for it. Don't listen to the hyperbole of the "it's unplayable" crowd. Complete nonsense. The singleplayer is a perfectly enjoyable romp with some annoying bits to deal with (constant switching between the three Links). The best part is no doubt the multiplayer with actual people but I'd still play it as a solo game if that's all I had access to.

Thanks, I'll buy it then. I should have access to the MP in the near future, hopefully, but until then, I'll just play it solo.

TheMoon

Thanks, I'll buy it then. I should have access to the MP in the near future, hopefully, but until then, I'll just play it solo.

Make sure to read a few more impressions though. I can't really account for your tolerance of what are minor annoyances to me.

georly

Enjoyable romp lol. Talk about hyperbole.

Dunno about hyperbole, but it is tedious as hell. Did one stage, never want to do it again :/

Then again, I couldn't even muster the strength to do FSA single player. The backtracking to grab other items killed that game, too.

This game is 100% playing w/ friends/local for me. I did a few challenges w/ randos, but that was very hit or miss, so I think i'm done. I have a million times more fun w/ friends anyway. We even play 'no talking' when playing locally, which is super fun. Might take me 6+ months to 100% but it will be worth it.

Halo Master Chief Collection in its first three months was completely unplayable.

Triforce is a pain in the ass and not ideal, but you can manage if you're patient.
Halo Masterchief Collection was a game that did not work. It was broken.

You can call anything that is not ideal playable. I could play through a mission full of lag, finish it and call that experience playable. And I wouldn't be wrong, but others would definitely not agree with that and say that method of play is unplayable for them.

killroy87

Halo Masterchief Collection was a game that did not work. It was broken.

You can call anything that is not ideal playable. I could play through a mission full of lag, finish it and call that experience playable. And I wouldn't be wrong, but others would definitely not agree with that and say that method of play is unplayable for them.

So you're saying people have different opinions. Yeah, I'll cheers to that.

So you're saying people have different opinions. Yeah, I'll cheers to that.
Well Yeah, it's like that was my whole point in calling out Mr. Listen to me but ignore everyone who doesn't agree with me.

I haven't said the sp is unplayable. Just that its trash. And some would disagree with both of those claims, like Kinsei who managed to finish all of the sp challenges and came away from it saying "that was alright".

Vidiot

I got it day 1 and haven't even turned it on yet. I want to play it locally with my brother and one of my good friends who also loves Zelda. Our schedules don't always line up so it'll be a while before we finish it. Hearing how unreliable randoms are and how tedious single player is makes me feel easier about not jumping in though. Not gonna bother 100%ING the game since the reward is shit and the challenges sound more annoying/tedious than fun.

5-4 Holy Hell the boss fight goes on forever. Impossible not to lose quickly, and even when you get to its final form its been hard to figure out. Plus a error on our last life.

The fustration begins.

Croc

Banned
5-4 Holy Hell the boss fight goes on forever. Impossible not to lose quickly, and even when you get to its final form its been hard to figure out. Plus a error on our last life.

The fustration begins.

Yep, easily the most frustrating part of the game for me so far. It's such a long battle and combine that with having a pretty limited amount of hearts split between 3 people...it took me quite awhile to finally find a team who all knew what they were doing enough to win. Even then we still died a few times first.

sonto340

Finally beat world 6 last night.
I've been playing at a pretty slow pace because my girlfriend and I have been waiting to play with each other but it's been pretty enjoyable. Been completing he challenges with randoms which is fine since you have to beat the world to access the challenges so they at least kind of know what they're doing.

I believe I discovered last night that either I got incredibly lucky or the materials are always I the same chest(at least in single player) when I was trying to grind out a royal ring in the fortress.
I'll probably test it out some more when I see my girlfriend tonight

Zero_IYAD

Great Fairy Link Outfit Discovered In Zelda Tri Force Heroes:

CTFE8UmUEAAwVoX.jpg

Give us a DLC already :O !

Edit: video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRjkl36Nj2A

Well I beat the final boss.

Fantastic game. Already one of my favorite games of all time after just two days with it.

Now to 100% it...40/128 done and I'm moving early next month and will probably not have internet for a month. Fuck me. Time to speedrun this shit.

Atleast I'll have single player when I lose internet. *Link Shrug*

i also detest anyone who says this is a spin off or a side game. I think it may be the best Zelda game of all time!
Until everyone leaves the online. D:

Edit:

It's literally a remix of bosses you've fought already.

I know that but:

1; It was different enough to throw me off.

2; I have bad memory so I already forgot exactly how to do them,

The fustration begins.

Fun fact: there's a challenge where you do this level without your sword, only bombs are allowed. There the Lady's Pets boss battle really goes on forever.

Fun fact: there's a challenge where you do this level without your sword, only bombs are allowed. There the Lady's Pets boss battle really goes on forever.
*Link NNNOOO!!!*

RIP in piece 100%ing the game.

I did do the "don' fall" challenge in Dragon Citadal with a great team after three tries but I don't think I could manage something so bad as a bomb Per Challenge! D: (That was without a tingle tunic since I didn't have one. The other two did. *Link Shrug*)

41/128 done now. Guess I should try to work my way backwards from World 8-1. Start at the hardest.

Seventh game to reach over 100 hours incoming.

Effect

The bolded had to have been the only real consideration and thought Nintendo put into the game when they were designing it. It's the only play method where it appears this game works as designed and is fully enjoyable.

Jackano

OMG I just teamed up in random with a guy who seems to be my alter-ego or something.

First, in lobby, we managed to go thought all of Saria's theme with the music ball, waiting for a 3rd guy. We managed to block the ball in a perfect 90° angle so we just had to mash the sword button.

Secondly, in-game, he had, or quickly joined my victory "meme": A sequence of 3 slow cheerleader Link icons, then a pause, and the sequence again. We both did this in rhythm.
Finally he invented another one, two slow (y) icons then 3 rapid ones. I managed to do it in rhythm with him. A shame the 3rd guy didn't follow that.

Oh and thanks to that team I beat the desert boss. I always liked Stalfos, they are cool. Zelda games needs more Stalfos.

First, in lobby, we managed to go thought all of Saria's theme with the music ball, waiting for a 3rd guy. We managed to block the ball in a perfect 90° angle so we just had to mash the sword button.

All of the song? How many bounces is that? I still haven't gone over 341.

Top Bottom