• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes |OT| Purple Link just didn't stay fresh enough.

XaosWolf

My favourite thing with randoms is teaching them the boomerang hold in the mines.

My least favourite is getting people to throw bombs in the right place so I can gust them at the boss in the Bomb Storage...

Ansatz

This game's most challenging feature is to convey a message to others with extremely limited communication, it's a puzzle in itself hehe. Not being able to jump off a totem is a crucial mechanic in getting them to understand. Some players appreciate the guidance, others start spamming "throw me" followed by a ragequit even though they have no idea what they're doing and/or cost us lives :/

TheMoon

The Boomeranger suit is such an awesome allrounder tool since it lets the boomerang do damage and has a big area of effect. I'm always happy when a boss level features a boomerang so I can wear the suit lol.

ss-hikaru

I started playing last night and it's really fun! Only came across one bad member and even then it made for a good memory with the good member and I trying to communicate and work our way through even with the bad member as an obstacle :p Being able to get my message across using just the emoticons and my good member getting it and thumbs upping me is just so satisfying XD Unfortunately in order to blacklist the bad member I ended up disbanding the team :(

I've played about 7 stages and haven't had any problems yet with people quitting because they didn't get the stage they wanted. The lag though is pretty bad, I'm guessing it's because I'm in Australia yet we're lumped in with EU peeps :( Any Aussies GAFfers out there playing this game?

My brother and my boyfriend were both on the fence about getting the game but after watching me play I think they are both interested XD Getting those friendly tokens is gonna be a pain in the butt tho.

TheMoon

The lag though is pretty bad, I'm guessing it's because I'm in Australia yet we're lumped in with EU peeps :( Any Aussies GAFfers out there playing this game?

My team is spread across Germany, France and England. So we're all pretty close together. Yet we have horrible lag sometimes (and sometimes it's smooth as butter). It's a complete dice roll.

ss-hikaru

My team is spread across Germany, France and England. So we're all pretty close together. Yet we have horrible lag sometimes (and sometimes it's smooth as butter). It's a complete dice roll.

Well then i will cross fingers for some nice lag free sessions although it might be in vain given the distance between me and the majority of EU players and the 'quality' of Australian internet. I'm coping at the moment but once levels start getting harder I think lag will make things extremely frustrating.

Well then i will cross fingers for some nice lag free sessions although it might be in vain given the distance between me and the majority of EU players and the 'quality' of Australian internet. I'm coping at the moment but once levels start getting harder I think lag will make things extremely frustrating.

I've had lag-free sessions with a Europe-North America-Japan team.

KJA

I cannot tell you how happy I am to finally finish the last level.

This game has to be one of the most rewarding and frustrating experiences that I have ever had in my entire gaming career.

Over the past few days, I have been trying to finish the last level (for about nearly twenty or so times), but I always seemed to hit one of these two walls:

1. "Connection has been interrupted"/"An error has occurred"/"I have to go!" -- This is the real boss of the game. There is absolutely no question about it. Just when you thought you were almost done, one of these bloody errors shows up on your screen and forces you to start all over again.

2. A lack of teamwork -- Playing with random people throughout the whole game has really shown me how people approach this game. Sure, it's fine to go off and do your own thing every once in a while but if you don't take a step back to see what's best for your team instead of just yourself, then your going to have a hard time, especially when you all need to work together to solve the problem at hand.

However, when the planets align and you finally stumble upon a crew that knows how to cooperate together, the feeling at the end it just so unbelievably great.

When reviews of this game came out, people were calling this game a test of patience and it really is. I'm just glad that it's over.

Loving this game, I found 2 random partners that were perfect for me in the first world! The only stupid thing is the stage selection screen, the game should have put players based on the level they wanted to play, not just the world. Btw thanks "nat" and... I don't remember the name but sure I'll remeber our adventure!

128/128
Finally done, except I'm still missing three costumes. You can guess which ones.
Anyway, the game was great fun. I hope it manages to sell enough to warrant a sequel on Nintendo's next platform.

ss-hikaru

For some reason all the 'fake heroes' i come across end up being the blue Link haha.

And big thanks to my team in the first water stage where despite the (lag induced) odds (OMG was it bad) we somehow managed to defeat the boss.

Great feeling heading back to the first world to do the challenges and getting a team who was willing to give the challenge a second shot after we failed the first time <3 I love this game.

Zero_IYAD

121/128 here.
I need help with 2 Ruins challenges. Almost impossible to finish these with random people -__-
the other 5 are in the Sky Realm. Guess these are doable.

Have all outfits already, except the 2 that require friends.

JimiNutz

Banned
I want to buy this so that my girlfriend and I can play in local co-op.
If the two of us want to play do we also need a third person or can just the two of us play with one AI controlled player? Id rather not go online if I can avoid it.

TheMoon

I want to buy this so that my girlfriend and I can play in local co-op.
If the two of us want to play do we also need a third person or can just the two of us play with one AI controlled player? Id rather not go online if I can avoid it.

OP

You can play locally either via wireless play with everyone having a copy or make use of the single-cart download play support where only one player needs the game to play with two friends. You can also play online with friends or random players. However, online play is locked by region (EU+AU / JP / NA). The key thing is, you HAVE to have three human players to play multiplayer. You cannot play with two humans and one CPU, for example. Thus, if you only have one partner to play with online, you'll have to fill one spot with a random player. If a player drops out during a session for whatever reason, the remaining players can look for another player to replace them or end the session. You also cannot mix local + online players.

KingBroly

Banned
I unlocked the Rupee Regalia, which has me farming some rupees around town. I really wish I had easy access to my materials list to see what I needed instead of visiting an NPC every time. It's just extra tedious busywork that wasn't needed.

KJA

I'm kind of disappointed that there weren't any Link Between Worlds costumes throughout the whole game.

I would have loved to seen a Hilda or Ravio costume thrown in there.

maxcriden

The game is a lot of fun but brutally difficult at times!

My big gripe with randoms is the ones who will just quit when they don't get the level they want.

I encountered a really strange battle on my way through the Ice Temple when we faced off with
Blizzagia,
which I'd failed with several randoms before. The fire gloves seem kinda useless in that fight compared to the megaton hammer. Partway through the fight, Red Link just stopped moving. He was the other megaton hammer, of course, so me and fire gloves did our best and died a couple times. We were throwing Red up on the ledges to keep him from getting us hurt. But I think we both knew we might be SOL because even if we beat that boss, we could go to the chests in the next room and it might not save (? unsure about this) if only two of us opened our chests.

In our final toe-to-toe with the boss, in the last phase of the fight, we were low on hearts so I tossed my compadre up on the ledge to get us a few over on the right side. He landed on top of our unmoving Red companion ;___: I kept saying "over here!" and showing him the spin attack in case it let him disembark from Red's totem, but he didn't seem to understand or it didn't help, and so he was stuck up there and all seemed lost as he shot fireballs against the wall and they sadly bounced down to the boss area, avoiding him...suddenly Red sprang back into action, the two hopped down and assisted me--though I kinda moved Red away from the boss since we were down to a couple or so hearts tops, and I wasn't sure he was familiar with this phase of the boss!--and with their help we went from a one-sided barely hanging on battle, to a barely hanging off finale where we finished the fight successfully. Wow, did that feel good. And here I thought the Fire Temple boss was plenty tough enough!

Haven't even tried the challenges yet. :)

TheMoon

I'm worried that my girlfriend will find that frustrating. Knowing her she'll probably enjoy it more if it's with someone we know in local co-op.

Well that is obviously preferable. It would just avoid having to talk a friend into buying a $100-200 piece of hardware :)

Craft

Really having a blast with this game at the moment, online has been great for me hardly any quitters and only 1 or 2 laggy (but still playable) games.
Single player isn't too bad either and far from unplayable, just a couple of minor improvements would have made single player a whole lot better though.
Like being able to switch characters who are at the top of the totem without having to throw everyone off and start again would make things much easier, a follow whistle option would have been nice too but you get used to just carrying everyone in a full totem when you're not solving puzzles.
Having a button or buttons to cycle through the other characters would be great.

I've got three 3DSes so I'll have to see if I can get some friends playing with me too at some point.

Zero_IYAD

126/128
Only missing the last 2 challenges in the very last level, one to clear with no items, the other to clear in a time limit.
I need help to clear these, any US GAFers would like to join me later tonight?
I really wanna finish these last 2 : (

KJA

Really having a blast with this game at the moment, online has been great for me hardly any quitters and only 1 or 2 laggy (but still playable) games.
Single player isn't too bad either and far from unplayable, just a couple of minor improvements would have made single player a whole lot better though.
Like being able to switch characters who are at the top of the totem without having to throw everyone off and start again would make things much easier, a follow whistle option would have been nice too but you get used to just carrying everyone in a full totem when you're not solving puzzles.
Having a button or buttons to cycle through the other characters would be great.

I've got three 3DSes so I'll have to see if I can get some friends playing with me too at some point.

Agreed.

If they would've allowed us to map the L button, for instance, to switch between characters, then single player mode would be extremely less tedious to go through.

Jackano

I don't know how you guys are doing this.
Challenges are tedious, some of you have more courage than Link himself.
I know you're playing in GAF groups but going online with randoms only I can't even get to beat level 5 boss.

I guess this is what you get after a thousand "Zelda is too easy" threads :D

Just got this earlier today and having a blast! Connected with two great players! A bit of lag here and there but overall great experience!

Did all of the first world's dungeons...or so I thought. For some reason i completely forgot about the forest temple. >_>

Also had to check the manual to know why it only showed one triforce next to my completed maps. Man, there is alot of challanges to do! Lots of replayability here! I hope it takes awhile to collect all costumes...Well beisdes the token ones. *Sob*

I wonder when the first round of DLC might hit.

Oh yeah, that was leaked via text same as Smash 3DS. I will buy all DLC available!

PS: If you see a "AbbyVamp" then thats me! Will play more tonight. Might add some of yall sooner or later but I usually just play randoms in online games. :p Going to focus on doing each dungeon first then I'll do extras challanges. Also you need to do all challnges in single player so thats more replayability! I much prefer these kinds of challenges for 100%ing a zelda game then "Look everywhere on worldmap for that heart piece your missing" lol. Hope this gamesees great success despite the odds!

Zero_IYAD

Finally, 128/128 : )

olEaIIH.jpg

VMyXrPA.jpg

zigg

I wonder if my youngest kid is going to be able to handle being the third.

Super-annoying that Nintendo didn't work out how to do 2+doppel play.

georly

Still early on in the game (hard to round up friends to play with, don't want to play online too much), but is there a better way to get friendship tokens outside of reformatting the 3ds every time? Deleting the extra data didn't work :/

Zero_IYAD

No... you're joking, right? Surely. This is some Jester Link costume you're wearing. This would be a more godawful reward than the prize for meeting the million coin challenge in New Super Mario Bros. 2. And that's impossible.
I confirm.
It is what he said : )

Top Bottom