• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Silent Hill thread.

luca_29_bg

Maybe we will see something this week

RDT-20230526-1956368323019782452041844.jpg

RDT-20230526-1956326211866436704971974.jpg
oh my! o_____O

Abesolus

Neo Member
i dont have my hopes up for this remake
Even tho the story of the game is already stablished, Bloober seems to not understand what psychological horror means, take for example the blair witch game, in the good ending you ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ kill yourself, to bloober team people with trauma are so dangerous, they're better off dead, the solution to mental health issues to them is bullet to the frontal lobe, if this game is a "re-interpretation" of Silent hill 2, we can expect the most shallow portrail of mental health issues, that game has good portrayal of menetal health issues, and dont even get me started on the medium game and their portrayal of a survivor of sexual assault and how they handle that narrative.
and before people say "oh what about the in water ending"
Difference is that In Water is never stated to be the definitive solution to the Jame's situation.

In The Medium, you only have one option and the game tries to hammer it in your face that its the only """""logical""""" way out. Even the achievement for beating that game acts like its a definitive solution to the topic, which is gross and irresponsible.

Considering Bloober Team already doesnt understand, or willfully changed the main character's behavior just from the trailers alone, do you REALLY think theyll handle the other characters and endings well?

Silent Hill 2 Remake will likely be middling but comercially successful. I want more Townfall info. That teaser left me with blue balls.

Last edited:
As much as I don't always like modern day Capcom, at least they're good at providing updates, and the latest animated RE movie did offer up a decent viewing experience. So if only Konami was able to display that same level of commitment.

MiguelItUp

With Bloober saying the game was "almost finished" awhile back. I think it's pretty weird that everything has been SO radio silent this whole time. I really want to see more to know if I should be hyped or not. SH2 is one of my favorite games of all time, and I've just been cautiously reserved this whole time, lol.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
With Bloober saying the game was "almost finished" awhile back. I think it's pretty weird that everything has been SO radio silent this whole time. I really want to see more to know if I should be hyped or not. SH2 is one of my favorite games of all time, and I've just been cautiously reserved this whole time, lol.
Anything Silent hill to me at this point is pure water torture. I just want it to end, with a brilliant Silent hill game

Wish all this bullshit would stop.

I just finished SH1 (twice, I locked myself out of the good+ ending first play through) on my deck and started SH2 today. I think one of my coworkers spoiled SH2 for me like 5 years ago but I'm mostly in it for the vibes.

Also, I bought SH3 in like 2006 and it came with the ost, and the ost is full of absolute bangers. It was doing the lofi thing before it became a big genre, and the songs are a lot better than most lofi stuff you find on YT.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I just finished SH1 (twice, I locked myself out of the good+ ending first play through) on my deck and started SH2 today. I think one of my coworkers spoiled SH2 for me like 5 years ago but I'm mostly in it for the vibes.

Also, I bought SH3 in like 2006 and it came with the ost, and the ost is full of absolute bangers. It was doing the lofi thing before it became a big genre, and the songs are a lot better than most lofi stuff you find on YT.

If it means anything to you, reducing anything to it's big plot twists leaves out all the things that make that reveal so ground rending in context.

So there's about 98% of worthwhile, unspoilable atmosphere and vibe ahead.

If it means anything to you, reducing anything to it's big plot twists leaves out all the things that make that reveal so ground rending in context.

So there's about 98% of worthwhile, unspoilable atmosphere and vibe ahead.
In an extremely interesting twist, the person who spoiled it for me back in the day was a cool coworker of mine named kira, haha

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
In an extremely interesting twist, the person who spoiled it for me back in the day was a cool coworker of mine named kira, haha

There are two Kiras in everyone's life: one who creates, and one who destroys, it's all about who you fe-

Nah, that's cool, hahaha. You should definitely post your thoughts as you go or make a LTTP, SH2 (and 3) are such nice little companion pieces (after a fashion) with so many little details that it's fun hearing about what different players pick out or notice over others.

peronmls

Cant wait to see James unnecessarly wiggle his fingers before pulling the rope like some goon in a cartoon.

Just finished silent hill 2, coming in hit after finishing silent hill 1.

Silent hill 1 was great, but 2 surpasses it. The story of silent hill 1 is pretty cool and mysterious until it turns into muh occult ritual stuff, which doesn't do it for me and makes me feel cringey on the inside. Especially since I've spent a good portion of my life as an occultist, lol. That being said, I absolutely adore the vibes and scenery. The setting is the best part of it all. I wish the extra good ending was canon because I like the character you save in the extra good ending. The snowy fog in particularly is comfy as hell. I liked silent hill 1 a lot and found it to be comfy, which I dont think was the intention but, oh well. I played it twice in a row, in order to get the best ending. I'll probably go back and play it again in a year or so.

2, however, and it's more "internal" take on things is a masterpiece. I can't think of anything across any medium that has replicated what 2 did. I came into sh2 knowing the big reveal, but had an absolutely wonderful time regardless. I don't want to go back and play through it again as much as 1, but it is surely going to stick with me for a long, long time. As I've gotten older, I've stopped.caring as much about stories in Vidya because, well, most vidya writers are shit and there are more than enough good books to satisfy all story needs. SH2 is something super special though and stands as a testament to the mediums storytelling potential.

The combat in both games is meh and tbh I felt like a demigod after the first dungeon in each - I was so loaded on ammo I could blast my way through everything, so long as I just ran past enemies in the overworld. Neither of the games were scary in that regard. The enemies in sh1 were particularly funny, since for the most part they all only come up to Harry's knees or thighs.

Sh2 has much more unnerving enemies but, still, I was able to blast my way through the game on normal without worrying about supplies or ammo. I think the mannequins were my favorite, thoguh they were by far the least threatening enemy in the game mechanically

Sh3 definitely is doing ammo and enemies a bit better, if we are looking at it from an anxiety standpoint. The supplies are much more limited and enemies are much harder to dodge. Coming from sh1 and 2, it makes me kind of nervous but mostly annoyed to be honest, because I kind of liked the chill pace of gameplay in 1 and 2. The monsters are more threatening mechanically but the designs of them are - so far - much less intimidating than in 2. I'm not super huge on the lack of overworld in 3 but I'll get over that. Ill write more about 3 when I finish it.

All in all, 1 is a pretty good and comfy PS1 game, 2 is masterpiece that hasn't been surpasses IMHO, and I'm still playing 3

Arachnid

Just finished silent hill 2, coming in hit after finishing silent hill 1.

Silent hill 1 was great, but 2 surpasses it. The story of silent hill 1 is pretty cool and mysterious until it turns into muh occult ritual stuff, which doesn't do it for me and makes me feel cringey on the inside. Especially since I've spent a good portion of my life as an occultist, lol. That being said, I absolutely adore the vibes and scenery. The setting is the best part of it all. I wish the extra good ending was canon because I like the character you save in the extra good ending. The snowy fog in particularly is comfy as hell. I liked silent hill 1 a lot and found it to be comfy, which I dont think was the intention but, oh well. I played it twice in a row, in order to get the best ending. I'll probably go back and play it again in a year or so.

2, however, and it's more "internal" take on things is a masterpiece. I can't think of anything across any medium that has replicated what 2 did. I came into sh2 knowing the big reveal, but had an absolutely wonderful time regardless. I don't want to go back and play through it again as much as 1, but it is surely going to stick with me for a long, long time. As I've gotten older, I've stopped.caring as much about stories in Vidya because, well, most vidya writers are shit and there are more than enough good books to satisfy all story needs. SH2 is something super special though and stands as a testament to the mediums storytelling potential.

The combat in both games is meh and tbh I felt like a demigod after the first dungeon in each - I was so loaded on ammo I could blast my way through everything, so long as I just ran past enemies in the overworld. Neither of the games were scary in that regard. The enemies in sh1 were particularly funny, since for the most part they all only come up to Harry's knees or thighs.

Sh2 has much more unnerving enemies but, still, I was able to blast my way through the game on normal without worrying about supplies or ammo. I think the mannequins were my favorite, thoguh they were by far the least threatening enemy in the game mechanically

Sh3 definitely is doing ammo and enemies a bit better, if we are looking at it from an anxiety standpoint. The supplies are much more limited and enemies are much harder to dodge. Coming from sh1 and 2, it makes me kind of nervous but mostly annoyed to be honest, because I kind of liked the chill pace of gameplay in 1 and 2. The monsters are more threatening mechanically but the designs of them are - so far - much less intimidating than in 2. I'm not super huge on the lack of overworld in 3 but I'll get over that. Ill write more about 3 when I finish it.

All in all, 1 is a pretty good and comfy PS1 game, 2 is masterpiece that hasn't been surpasses IMHO, and I'm still playing 3
2 is pretty much where SH peaks when it comes to story, so don't expect 3 to be on it's level. The only other really good story is SH4 which gets a lot of undeserved hate compared to the original 3. It's my personal favorite after 2.

Last edited:
Top Bottom