• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tak3n

Banned
Labour being dragged to the left is a huge problem, because outside of London those Labour heartlands are very much heading to the right. Scotland has been taken over by the SNP and even the Conservatives are making more of an impression there than Labour.

Tony Blair is a monster but he is right in that the centre-ground is the way for Labour to become relevant again. All Corbyn is doing is letting the party wither away as voters in England drift to UKIP and those in Scotland to the SNP. In the current climate, liberal ideas are not attractive to the average person outside of London.

I don't get what Labour want..the MP's and the PLP want a new Tony Blair (Dan Jarvis) but all the Labour members was a left wing leader...so unless Jeremy Corbyn agrees not to be on the ballot paper it will just end up him winning again

Liljagare

On thursday the british pound was 14,50:- kronor something.

Today it is 11,20:-

Holy crap, it is almost time to buy pounds and sit on them until they rebound. The risk is naturarly, if it ever does.

kmag

To be fair Scotland is useless at preventing a Tory government in England anyway :/ Labour is DEAD up here.

I'm the old days when we voted for anything with a red rosette all we ever accomplished was turning small labour wins into comfortable labour wins

PJV3

I don't get what Labour want..the MP's and the PLP want a new Tony Blair (Dan Jarvis) but all the Labour members was a left wing leader...so unless Jeremy Corbyn agrees not to be on the ballot paper it will just end up him winning again

The Labour party needs to split, the shitty voting system prevents it.

To be fair Scotland is useless at preventing a Tory government in England anyway :/ Labour is DEAD up here.

Going to be dead in the north of England as well but they have good odds of being the dominant separatist London city state party.

I'm the old days when we voted for anything with a red rosette all we ever accomplished was turning small labour wins into comfortable labour wins

You had Scottish politicians in senior roles in parliament instead of protest positions where they can only hold press conferences.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Spain is still a possible issue. If they allow Scotland in then it would be giving legitimacy to Catalonia's desire for independence.

That's not true. If the process of independence is a legal one, Spain shouldn't have no issue with it. It's the same as Slovakia or Croatia joining the EU. A country part of a former union outside of EU requests to join.

Catalonia has no legal way to obtain independence and Spain is not a union and the main issue was if Scotland became independent while UK was still in EU. No longer the case.

Tak3n

Banned
one for diagnosis

It’s only 250 words long but has instantly become the defining clause in a war of words between Britain and the EU

Article 50

Print Email
1. Any Member State may decide to withdraw from the Union in accordance with its own constitutional requirements.

2. A Member State which decides to withdraw shall notify the European Council of its intention. In the light of the guidelines provided by the European Council, the Union shall negotiate and conclude an agreement with that State, setting out the arrangements for its withdrawal, taking account of the framework for its future relationship with the Union. That agreement shall be negotiated in accordance with Article 218(3) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union. It shall be concluded on behalf of the Union by the Council, acting by a qualified majority, after obtaining the consent of the European Parliament.

3. The Treaties shall cease to apply to the State in question from the date of entry into force of the withdrawal agreement or, failing that, two years after the notification referred to in paragraph 2, unless the European Council, in agreement with the Member State concerned, unanimously decides to extend this period.

4. For the purposes of paragraphs 2 and 3, the member of the European Council or of the Council representing the withdrawing Member State shall not participate in the discussions of the European Council or Council or in decisions concerning it.

A qualified majority shall be defined in accordance with Article 238(3)(b) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union.

5. If a State which has withdrawn from the Union asks to rejoin, its request shall be subject to the procedure referred to in Article 49.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/25/article-50-brexit-debate-britain-eu#img-1

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Which is why we need a convincing left wing labour. They won't win anyway but we need one of the major parties fighting against the tide

What's the point in fighting against the tide if you're already a hundred miles away from the shore? Labour needs to get back to the centre ground quickly if they want to actually get into power again, otherwise they will go the way of the Liberal Democrats.

Some Labour members, especially the unions, don't seem to realise that they don't actually have any fucking power, they can't actually help people. Liberal principles are all well and good but they just aren't shared by people outside of London. It's better to moderate your message, move to the centre and then start introducing the liberal ideas once you are in government.

Soph

Spain is still a possible issue. If they allow Scotland in then it would be giving legitimacy to Catalonia's desire for independence.

It wouldn't. EU doesn't allow it's member states to break, this includes Spain/Catalunya.

Since UK is out of EU, it's not the same.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Is it naive of me to think this might still be turned over by Parliament?

It was a 1.9% win, does not reflect the public wants to leave, it reflects the public is split down the middle and that split it too close to make such a drastic change.

Especially if we realise Scotland will leave and that weakens our entire stance.

MPs should stop being selfish pricks and do the right thing and not pursue ahead with this.

If October is the deadline team remain should be protesting and petitioning to have this be re-voted until there's a clearer margin of for parliament to do their job and do what's best for the country not themselves.

The UK have serious leverage, unlike Turkey or Norway so I think like it or lump it the EU will need to give a good deal.
Lol

They have fucking nothing.

This is the time to make an example for those nations toying with the idea to leave. They Union has to curbstomp right wing populism by showing how brutal they are to the UK and if a nation is trying to weasel their way out of the shared responsibilities and just wants to leech of the benefits (what the "better deals" fraction proposes).

They won't give them an inch beyond what Norway got.

Tak3n

Banned
Lol

This is the time to make an example for those nations toying with the idea to leave. They Union has to curbstomp right wing populism by showing how brutal they are to the UK and if a nation is trying to weasel their way out of the shared responsibilities and just want to leech of the benefits.

so what does that make the EU then? you are saying punish those who dare to question our authority! that will not end well

I thought the EU was all about tolerance, and now you want to nail us to the mast for wanting out

Tyaren

Well, if Spain doesn't leave the EU, the EU would guarantee that it wouldn't give Catalonia any prospects of entering the EU if it tried to split from Spain on it's own. Basically just like with the first Scottish indy referendum.

oti

Banned
IIf somehow the petition surpasses the number of Leave voters, what happens then?

We just forget about the core concept of Democracy altogether and call it a day.

Seriously, what is up with this false hope? Only way would be burning the constitution and bring back Monarchy maybe.

Alx

I just find it strange in the current environment.

Since the current environment suggests a major evolution of EU, I don't think it's a bad idea for the founders to discuss a new direction based on what the union was intended to be at its roots. That requires both a long and active history in the union, and a small enough numbers to let things move fast. Obviously things will also be discussed with the 21 other members, but there's nothing wrong in having smaller meetings in addition. Such things happen all the time, although with even less participants usually.

Is it naive of me to think this might still be turned over by Parliament?

It was a 1.9% win, does not reflect the public wants to leave, it reflects the public is split down the middle and that split it too close to make such a drastic change.

Especially if we realise Scotland will leave and that weakens our entire stance.

MPs should stop being selfish pricks and do the right thing and not pursue ahead with this.

If October is the deadline team remain should be protesting and petitioning to have this be re-voted until there's a clearer margin of for parliament to do their job and do what's best for the country not themselves.

Absolutely not naive IMO. The referendum guaged public opinion, so if the result was a massive victory for Leave or Remain we wouldn't need to overturn it. While it's close I think it should be overturned. If it's against the law, fuck the law, change it on the fly and just do it.

Tak3n

Banned
If the petition somehow surpasses the number of Leave voters, what happens then?

do you honestly want another referendum, or do you want to keep going until remain win...it is the stupidest idea, because if you get one and win, but under 75% turnout you have to go again!

wont happen, can't happen

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Not quite true. In 2005 Scotland stopped there being a hung parliament, which, given 2010, probably would have been a Con-Lib coalition. There's probably others, but that's the most recent one to come to mind.

Audioboxer

ClsfaLwUsAEXFeQ.jpg:small

Seen on FB/Twitter....

kiguel182

so what does that make the EU then? you are saying punish those who dare to question our authority! that will not end well

I thought the EU was all about tolerance, and now you want to nail us to the mast for wanting out

The EU is about giving and taking. Not about just taking.

If you want to leave when things get tough then you stop having any of the benefits you had. It's pretty simple.

You don't want to help anyone and want all the good deals? Not going to happen.

If you think you are above everyone else then good luck on your future endeavours.

norinrad

Lol

This is the time to make an example for those nations toying with the idea to leave. They Union has to curbstomp right wing populism by showing how brutal they are to the UK and if a nation is trying to weasel their way out of the shared responsibilities and just wants to leech of the benefits (what the "better deals" fraction proposes).

Hmmmmmmmm lol , wanna leave? fine, but I'm going to make you pay and forget the day you were born

DjRalford

Lol

That bolded bit makes Europe sound so democratic

/s

Tak3n

Banned
Can we ban over 60's from voting?

This isn't their future.

Really! I can not believe I keep reading this on GAF, I suggest you try to imagine how you will feel when your'e 60 and some young kid tries to tell you that you dont matter as you will dead soon

just think about it!

kmag

Going to be dead in the north of England as well but they have good odds of being the dominant separatist London city state party.

You had Scottish politicians in senior roles in parliament instead of protest positions where they can only hold press conferences.
On the odd occasion when labour moved to be indistinguishable from socially liberal tories we got decent even over representation however thanks to evel scots are effectively barred from most of the cabinet positions except maybe defends and foreign secretary. You can't have chancellor who can't vote for 80% of his own fucking budget

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
What's the point in fighting against the tide if you're already a hundred miles away from the shore? Labour needs to get back to the centre ground quickly if they want to actually get into power again, otherwise they will go the way of the Liberal Democrats.

Some Labour members, especially the unions, don't seem to realise that they don't actually have any fucking power, they can't actually help people. Liberal principles are all well and good but they just aren't shared by people outside of London. It's better to moderate your message, move to the centre and then start introducing the liberal ideas once you are in government.
We've done that before and all it does is legitimise increasingly right wing Tory governments. Six years of Tories (in coalition with a 'moderating' party, even) is all it took to undo all of the Blair government's improvements to welfare. It's a losing fight for Labour.

Corbyn is increasingly obviously not the man to win that fight, I agree, but the alternative is nothing more than a rearguard action against the continued Torification of the British political landscape.

An unelected house of lords and a soon to be unelected prime minister. Good job getting rid of those unelected people in brussles ladies and gents.

kiguel182

Why would the EU have to be nice to the people leaving?

The EU should protect the countries inside of it, not outside.

Yeah, let's give a ton of benefits to everyone who wants to leave and fuck everyone who stays.

Ridiculous. If you are out, you are out.

EDIT: Hilarious comparing to a dictatorship. You are not part of the system anymore, you have no saying in it.

StNd

The UK betrayed our shared goals and our shared future despite being very well off with their arrangement in the first place (all these concessions and rebates).

The UK doesn't get to tear it all down and demand special treatment beyond what has been established as normal (what Norway got).

Meguro

Banned
Do people expect the EU to just take this and give the UK all the leverage it wants?
Are you aware of the word "consequences"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom