• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Unofficially Official X05 Thread (announcements go in here, clones)

Srider

Banned
ram said:
that doesnt sound very positive. is the age of 30fps games coming? i`ll ghope they improve the framerate, because first gen games must have 60fps! >:O

This proves that lots and lots of money doesn't equal to good games.

Almost every title except for a few were huge disappointments, at least they look half decent as next gen games.

hadareud

The Translator
Blimblim said:
Damn, 5 kbytes/s from the hotel. Sorry guys, can't put anymore stuff online tonight :(

It's bed time then. Thanks for the hard work Blimblim, it's really appreciated!

Tabs

Thanks BlimBlim, and good job to everyone on this thread. It made writing reviews for old shit like Armored Core and Metal Slug really hard today.

Does anyone else have that sinking feeling that we're going to walk in to pick up our systems on the 22nd, and there won't be any games available? I don't know whether I'd laugh or cry. It'd be a wasted day off of work, that's for sure.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
hadareud said:
It's bed time then. Thanks for the hard work Blimblim, it's really appreciated!
Sorry about the quality of the darker videos btw, I had to leave my camcorder unattended during the conference so I could not change the exposure level like I did at the TGS. That's also why the footage is missing a bit on the right, I moved the camera when walking away from where it was. Ho well, lesson learned :)

FallenOne666 said:
They haven't shown it running on 360 hardware. I want to see how smooth it is (ie. does it stutter like Morrowind) and how it looks in comparison to the PC version.

I need to see this too. C'mon you have the world watching and no new media???

hadareud

The Translator
Trav said:
Thanks BlimBlim, and good job to everyone on this thread. It made writing reviews for old shit like Armored Core and Metal Slug really hard today.

Does anyone else have that sinking feeling that we're going to walk in to pick up our systems on the 22nd, and there won't be any games available? I don't know whether I'd laugh or cry. It'd be a wasted day off of work, that's for sure.

yeah, I have a feeling all there is to play is bejeweled for my girlfriend from the xbox live arcade. I hope they'll release the details soon (on the day 1 games that is)...

Edit: Hold on, there's always Kameo (hopefully)!

eso76

Blimblim said:
Damn, 5 kbytes/s from the hotel. Sorry guys, can't put anymore stuff online tonight :(

hey, it's ok you've worked hard enough for now !

i think right now we're more interested in hearing your impressions of the show, maybe you can tell us something ?
It looked quite underwhelming from here. Actually no, it looked like Microsoft really screwed this (too)

Blimblim

The Inside Track
eso76 said:
hey, it's ok you've worked hard enough for now !

i think right now we're more interested in hearing your impressions of the show, maybe you can tell us something ?
It looked quite underwhelming from here. Actually no, it looked like Microsoft really screwed this (too)
I actually think MS did quite nicely this time. People seemed quite positive at the end of the conference, contrary to Leipzig or even Tokyo. Just don't think GAF is the best way to get people's opinion ;)
PDZ still looks bad though.

hadareud

The Translator
Blimblim said:
I actually think MS did quite nicely this time. People seemed quite positive at the end of the conference, contrary to Leipzig or even Tokyo. Just don't think GAF is the best way to get people's opinion ;)

Are you flying back tomorrow or do you have at least one night to get pissed in 'dam?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
hadareud said:
Are you flying back tomorrow or do you have at least one night to get pissed in 'dam?
I'm flying back tomorrow, so don't expect any updates from me before tomorrow night (CET)

D3VI0US

Is it just me or does MS suck when it comes to press events. I'll be redundant just to drive the point home but by not confirming launch day games and sticking to this launch window bs just shows how rushed and buggy everything will be unless it's delayed, either way we lose. Not having any games confirmed as 100% compatible BC isn't a good sign either especially when they're not really likely to stick with the time consuming game specific implementations.

Most of the presentations and trailers themselves have been somewhat flawed and underwhelming when compared to the better games on the console, it's like night and day. What's with PDZ and GoW animating so stiff? Neither really shows off the game well or does much to hype. Loved how the dude's mouth was stuck open and the seemingly horrible blood effect for GoW. PDZ doesn't look killer in the slightest but they do a terrible job of showing it off. First off stop having an ineloquent product manager douche bag play the game on stupid easy mode cause it doesn't show the game off when they don't know how to play it. Other than graphics, gameplay in FPS games consists of pointing and shooting, but you can only really show it off if enemies shoot back. Not to mention they show off the level I've already seen and been reading about for weeks now. Not the best coming out party for your flagship titles.

One of my biggest gripes is that this is just an extension of the Xbox lineup, more shooters, sports, and racers than anyone would even want to play. The are only a few titles that really stick out as something different, Kameo, Elder Scrolls, but there is an overall lack of variety for games that interest me that's almost sad. Not to be a negative nancy because they both look great but I mean two Sci Fi trilogy games involving man vs machine? Totally killed any anticipation I had for getting a 360 at launch.

Makes it all the more painful that they could potentially saving bigger announcements for E3 and or "PS3" cause before they do that they really need to sell people on the console initially. Putting so much pressure on PDZ just shows it doesn't measure up, especially with so many other shooters on the console. So why not show the one shooter that does measure up and will get people hyped, Halo 3. It's not as if they didn't show other late 2006 or 2007 games, and a game that's so far off people are dense if they think it's really detracting from PDZ. More than likely showing a Halo 3 tease would help sell 360's and Perfect Dark at launch and would have made the show a success but they dropped the ball again IMO.

eso76

Blimblim said:

i don't know, media released in the past few days has shown encouraging improvements and some truly impressive stuff. it looked like they were finally starting to pull things together, and everything was going to be alright, but stuff like moto gp, pdz and many other titles shown during the conference looked underwhelming, extremely unpolished or just plain bad and this whole launch window thing is starting to really turn me down.

Someone even said PGR3 was a disappointment...

Help !

Krowley

oblivion is still the most impressive xbox 360 game. Elder scrolls IV is the reason to buy this system and they haven't even released any footage of it today. Even with the frame rate issues in the video that leaked the other day, it is more impressive overall than anything i have seen to date... which is surprising, because when the first pics of the game were released, the threads here (and on other boards) where full of people saying "just wait till you see a graphics powerhouse developer working on this hardware!! This will look like crap!"... and still yet, IMO it has not been surpassed.. maybe gears of war, but that game doesn't have the same kind of scope. And maybe some of the racing games, but they don'r really count. Hopefully we will get to see some footage of this game tommorow.

PD0 seems to have potential (i actually like the gameplay footage in the other thread) but it needs more time to cook... several months worth of cooking if that cutscene means anything. I really hope they don't release this on opening day. it is not ready, and it could be good.

Kameo is pretty, but the world and the character designs are somehow repellent. Gameplay looks fun.

too human and mass effect look amazing, but they're a long way off.

so i'm starting to think the launch will be kind of weak, unless they get elder scrolls out on launch day.. That game all by itself would make the launch awesome.

i'm probably going to buy one just for elder scrolls, which is sad because the damn thing is overpriced and there is very little else that i want to play on it. Thank god elder scrolls has like 3000000 hours worth of gameplay, because it looks like it might take a while for another truly awesome game to release..

bloke

So I'm thinking to myself; ok if I see another SF-shooter media from X05 I'm gonna be sick, and then I went to check out Xboxyde site again and what do I see there..."X05: 5 images 360 of Timeshift"
vomit-smiley-015.gif

Worse than GTA clones!
But nevermind that, where's the new DOA4 trailer with Kasumi&co. beating the crap out of Cortana/Master Chief/some other lameass Halo character? :D

Just got home from work and had a chance to review some of the trailers. Bandwidth in the Office sucks. So, here are my thoughts...

Kameo: Looks nice. I'm still not sold on the premise of the game, but the graphics look nice. Very colorful. Lots of stuff on the screen at the same time. Probably not a title I would pick up and launch, but possibly afterwards, in the post-launch doldrums.

EA Sports Montage: Again, stuff looked nice, but the problem with the Montage is that you just don't see enough of any one game to get a sense of what anything is going to be like. I was interested in Tiger Woods and Madden. TW is off the list with only 6 courses to play, and Madden is still in a holding pattern pending hands-on reports.

Gears of War: Looked good. A few cheesy graphics here and there (the blood splatting for example), but the lighting and mood were all excellent. This game is the one that is shaping up to be like Halo for me.

Too Human: Nice looking trailer, but hard to tell what is actually a game, and what is CG. Impressive looking none the less. I'll definitly be keeping an eye on this one.

PGR 3: Sweet fancy Moses! This game looks nice. Again, I'm not a huge driving game fan, but the graphics on this one are sweet, and everything moves nicely. Gotta love the in car view too.

Perfect Dark Zero: Not much to see really. Lots of flash, not much substance. Very little actual in game footage and none of that stood out at all. If this title were ready to go, you know it would get more screen time. Hands on reports should be more telling tomorrow.

Splinter Cell: Interesting trailer, but again, not much of substance. If the game looks like that, it's going to be hot.

Hope more info and hands-on stuff comes out tomorrow. Need more info Microsoft!

HokieJoe

krypt0nian said:
* Castle Wolfenstein (id Software) . id Software’s newest chapter in the legendary “Wolfenstein” series will deliver players deep behind the enemy lines of a war-torn Germany, where Nazi experiments with technology and the supernatural threaten to turn the tide of World War II. Utilizing a revolutionary new graphics technology targeted specifically at next-generation hardware, this new Wolfenstein experience will draw players into a world of unmatched exploration, action and espionage.

Woooooooohooooooooo!!! Woofenstein beechez!!!

Me am satisfied total!

:D

Amir0x

Banned
Click the play button under "Dagbladet.no video" to watch the movies
Click the link beside the small camera to see some screens (you've probably already seen then though)

Wolfenstein Next-Gen

http://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/2005/10/05/445398.html

- Raven Software and ID are working together
- First time we've developed a game with a console as the primary target." - Todd Hellenhead
- "People may wonder how many levels the game consists of, and I can say that you don't have to worry. We've made the game a single large playing ground - It's ONE large level. And you'll never experience a single stop in gameplay for loading.
- There will be a large focus on cooperation in the game.

Mass Effect

http://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/2005/10/05/445397.html

- SciFi RPG.
- First game in a trilogy.
- Real time, team based fighting.
- In addition to the main story, you can also explore strange new world.
- Xbox 360 Exclusive (no shit)

Too Human

http://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/2005/10/04/445392.html

- Baldur, the main character, gets hold of an antique machine/weapon.
- Also the first game in a trilogy.
- Fight with a combination of melee and long range weapons.
- Fighting is apparently simple, just by the press of a button, Baldur will perform advanced actions, and combos are simple to create.
- Uses the Unreal Engine 3.
- Release: Q4 2006

THANKS TO FOXHIMSELF :)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
WHERE THE HELL IS *ANY* NEWS ON RIDGE RACER 6?????

?????????????????????????????????????????????

?????????????????????????????????????????????????

NO INFO ON OUTRUN COAST 2 COAST? :( :( :(

silver

Banned
Wow, so Perfect Dark is not AAA, Too Human is a generic action game and no Halo 3?

It must suck to be an Xbox-fan now (I'm serious here, not trolling).

silver said:
Wow, so Perfect Dark is not AAA, Too Human is a generic action game and no Halo 3?

Perfect Dark Zero looks to have competent visuals and excellent co-op/gameplay. Are you seriously trying to make Too Human a negative? And you expected Halo 3?

:lol If you're not trolling you may just have bad taste.

generic action title..... lolz

PhatSaqs

Banned
silver said:

Put your head on my shoulder...and your balls on my neck.

silver

Banned
krypt0nian said:
Perfect Dark Zero looks to have competent visuals and excellent co-op/gameplay. Are you seriously trying to make Too Human a negative? And you expected Halo 3?

:lol If you're not trolling you may just have bad taste.

generic action title..... lolz

No one's positive about Zero aside from Xbots.

And Too Human looks generic and boring. The fact that SK is pretentious enough to make it a trilogy doesn't make it good.

I have good taste, but I'm a realist.

rastex

Banned
silver said:

Actually I think that's the definition of trolling

silver

Banned
rastex said:
Actually I think that's the definition of trolling

No... no, it's really not.

GOD FORBID someone thinks all this is nothing special!

BUT...I won't reply anymore because I'm not a troll and I don't want to be considered a troll.

silver said:
No one's positive about Zero aside from Xbots.

And Too Human looks generic and boring. The fact that SK is pretentious enough to make it a trilogy doesn't make it good.

I have good taste, but I'm a realist.

riiiight....all in your head, dude...

Gremmie4

silver said:
Too Human is a generic action game

While I won't completely go that far, I will agree that it is not something to really get excited about yet. Of what they showed, which was very very little, it just looks like another UE3 title heading to the X360. Same deal with Mass Effect. They really could have made some much nicer and much longer trailers to get people more excited.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
FallenOne666 said:
Why must you torture us Steve? =( Ah well, tomorrow should be a flood of info. I can't wait to see how it compares to the PC version.

Yeah, I'm sure there'll be tons of pictures and shakycam footage within the next few days :)

Chi-Town

GhaleonEB said:
I just read that article and nearly fell out of my chair. Ars is usually a bit better than that.

Seems people complained and it was fixed...kinda.

Before
Three titles are receiving top-billing from the company: Kameo: Elements of Power, Perfect Dark Zero, and Project Gotham Racing 3. All three notably stem from game developer Rare, a British game development company that was bought by Microsoft back in 2002.

After
Three titles are receiving top-billing from the company: Kameo: Elements of Power, Perfect Dark Zero, and Project Gotham Racing 3. The former two games notably stem from game developer Rare, a British game development company that was bought by Microsoft back in 2002.

Before
But is it now? It remains to be seen how many of these titles will actually ship at anything approaching 720p or higher. Early titles will be coming out of shops that are just now getting the hang of the Xbox 360 dev environment, and their number one priority is to match either 30 or 60 frames-per-second, and resolution could be one of the first things that gets cut down to meet those targets. This isn't to say that high-definition titles aren't coming. But if the priority is to get titles out the door by November 22, and in the absence of optimization code that's garnered by experience, I wouldn't expect FIFA 2006 to be in 1080i.

After
It remains to be seen how many of these titles will actually ship at 1080i. Early titles will be coming out of shops that are just now getting the hang of the Xbox 360 dev environment, and their number one priority is to match either 30 or 60 frames-per-second, and resolution could be one of the first things that gets cut down to meet those targets. This isn't to say that higher-definition titles aren't coming. But if the priority is to get titles out the door by November 22, and in the absence of optimization code that's garnered by experience, I wouldn't expect FIFA 2006 to be in 1080i. Note that some titles on the current Xbox are already available in 720p, but fortunately 360 titles will start there. Also, I should note that some people find 720p to be more visually appealing than 1080i.

Minotauro said:
IS IT GOING TO BE A LAUNCH TITLE?

Please, give me some sort of indication.

Seriously Steve...when can you talk about these things? We all chalked it up to "wait til X05" but now it seems most questions won't be adressed until I'm playing it.

puhlease bug marketing.....we are your devoted....

Chi-Town

Well, the Gamespot preview says...

Whether or not Oblivion will eventually grant you this sort of freedom remains to be seen--but not for long, since the game is due out in the fourth quarter along with the Xbox 360.

Top Bottom