• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The visual evolution of Mortal Kombat's roster

Ahasverus

Which ones specifically?

Like these

sbcY3GO.jpg

LViucQV.jpg

Kieli

Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance was my first console game (I was 8 at the time, I believe). Had good times with it, despite the lack of a memory card (so I couldn't unlock characters).

I loved MK: Deceptions (tons of fun). Didn't play any other MK games since...

After seeing this thread, I'm itching to get MK9. Wondering if I should or just hold out and get MK10.

SSReborn

Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance was my first console game (I was 8 at the time, I believe). Had good times with it, despite the lack of a memory card (so I couldn't unlock characters).

I loved MK: Deceptions (tons of fun). Didn't play any other MK games since...

After seeing this thread, I'm itching to get MK9. Wondering if I should or just hold out and get MK10.

Yes definitely get MK9 its pretty cheap now too.

I thought the art direction for MK9 was spectacularly awful. Just really really bland designs all around. I hope they try and make the characters look a little more distinctive for the next game and not look like they came off the back of a bootleg Kung Fu dvd from the 90's. (Note, I don't have a problem with the core visuals of the characters, just their interpretations in this game).

They should go back to using real people. Every Mortal Kombat game has looked horrendous, but at least when it had real people, it was bad in a funny kind of way instead of just plain bad.

Well it certainly would be funny.

bootleg Kung Fu dvd from the 90's
That's been the inspiration for the MK games visual direction since the beginning.

B-grade American kung fu movies filled with ninjas from the late 80s and early 90s.

Manu

You all forgot the best MK design ever:

kano-movie.jpg

So hot <3

Well, the funny thing about it is, they liked movie Kano so much that they included a lot of that portrayal into the games (also as a homage to Trevor Goddard). Original Kano was bald and Chinese. MK9 Kano is an aussie, bearded badass.

Just speaking for myself of course: my god I would love it if they totally tossed out their aesthetic. Not only does the let's-put-a-spike-on-a-skull-being-swallowed-by-a-snake-on-cocaine look they've been on forever do NOTHING for me, but even the execution of that goofy vision is so blah. That's not even touching the females.

It's shallow, but honestly it's most the reason I've checked out of the MK series. They need stronger artists.

I really hated the look of the characters in the 3D games. They were fun to play but they made all the characters wayyyy to buff and the girls looked like they were made of Porcelain. MK 2011 was a huge step forward though. They need to make sure to keep some of the fighters slim and not Gears of war dudes.

To be completely honest, I wish the in game visuals of MK were like the artwork they put out.

If they could translate the promo art they used for character announcements for MK9 into in game visuals the same way Xrd translated the GG sprites, it would be great to me.

"Realism" doesn't do anything for me. I'd prefer a fully stylized MK. (And throw in some hitsparks while you're at it)

Manu

To be completely honest, I wish the in game visuals of MK were like the artwork they put out.

If they could translate the promo art they used for character announcements for MK9 into in game visuals the same way Xrd translated the GG sprites, it would be great to me.

"Realism" doesn't do anything for me. I'd prefer a fully stylized MK. (And throw in some hitsparks while you're at it)

But MK9 looks pretty much like that screenshot? And they don't need hitsparks, because they have blood. That's MK's thing. The PS2 games had both and it looked goofy.

But MK9 looks pretty much like that screenshot? And they don't need hitsparks, because they have blood. That's MK's thing. The PS2 games had both and it looked goofy.

MK9 has a very "plain" look that doesn't say "stylized" to me.

It's not an illustration, and it's not real life, it's just "video game visuals" that don't do anything special in quality, being unable to be too detailed/realistic to maintain framerate, and not being stylized like other fighters (SF4) because MK is "dark/serious/gritty" etc.

Good designs and my favorite style of gameplay, but I prefer the overall presentation (art, sound) of Japanese fighters to those NRS makes.

And don't get me started on how Injustice is a comic book game but has even less color than MK9, and how much MvC3 beats the pants off it in the areas of graphics and sound (and only those areas).

Khezu

They should have the option for both.
Toggle them on/off separately.

When you turn blood off, it looks kinda weird. Need some hitsparks to hide odd hit detection.

stn

MK has some awesome design, definitely. I didn't like some of the Deadly Alliance costumes but the newest one nailed them all. And its also a really good fighting game, too.

Unicorn

Even though the MK ninjas get shit for being pallet swaps, they are still some of the best characters, period, in any fighting game. They are also some of the coolest characters in video games.

I love MK, particularly the universe up until MK3. It's too bad the MK reboot shit all over it at the end of the game. Having those 3 games' storylines in one game was pretty amazing, but some of the retcon stuff was shitty.

Get some female designers for fucks sake if you need to see what women should look like. Every female in mk9 and injustice is just butt ugly. So bad I'd almost jerk off to oblivions female NPC's by comparison

I'm using hyperbole when I say grossed out but yeah the female designs are awful and I honestly can't play mk9 due to how bad they look
Wow. That's a bit extreme, and I would say "These characters aren't made to please you or give you any gratification" and also it's a game where spines are ripped out and bodies are severed - but, it's obvious these characters, like many other female characters in gaming are very oversexualised, and it's kinda sad. I swear all the MK9 girls had size 12 waists or something. That said, I do love a lot of the MK ladies and their various looks they've had over the years, and I do agree the MK9 models in general, male or female could do with a bit more work facially, but it does add an element of realism I guess. We don't all look like page 3 models, sorry buddy~

I do like how they started incorporating veils and very Arabic influences into Mileena's latter costumes, and how the three kunoichi girls differentiated each other into the PS2 era, in particular Jade's Deception design which I thought was pretty cool.

I also think some of the Armageddon redesigns weren't too bad either. That's one game I never actually owned myself, but Rain's updated look was pretty swag, it's just a shame that game never really made much noise, probably in part to the fact it came out as the 360 and PS3 were launching, and they also removed (real) Fatalities

Fake Raiden, do not trust this man:

mka-2.jpg
Aw man I've been watching Dexter lately and seeing this reminds me how different he looks now. I didn't think he looked that different but he looks like he's in Pampers here!

Kyzon

Everyone left out the best form of Reptile that we never got to play as.

The human reptile all the way to the left. I'm still bummed.

MK9_Artbook_-_Reptile.JPG

NetherRealm's character designs on MK9 was hit or miss for me. i really dug sub zero's and scorpion's designs though. i thought Mortal Kombat Armageddon had some of the better character redesigns since the original game.

I think I'm in the minority when I say that I loved the first MK more, atmosphere-wise. The digitized characters seem to be much more subdued and mysterious compared to the sequels.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Man, Mortal Kombat has some fucking awful designs. They just got worse and worse over the years.

9 was a huge step forward though.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
This thread is great, I never played a Mortal Kombat Game before but this really makes me want to play one. Is this one for the Vita a good start for people, who never played Beat em Ups?

Also, I really hope they really make a HD Remake of Shaolin Monks, like it was teased a couple of months ago. The game looked always very interesting.

This thread is great, I never played a Mortal Kombat Game before but this really makes me want to play one. Is this one for the Vita a good start for people, who never played Beat em Ups?

I think the Vita version is just the latest game in which case it's the best place to start because it has the best story mode of any fighting game ever and it was a reboot of the series.

Albo

Shinnok

shinnok-sacred-amulet.jpg
MK Mytholgies: sub zero (looks like a sith lord badass)
1391896-mk4shinnok.gif
MK4
Shinnok_deception.jpg
MK Deception (cameo appearance)
Shinnok-Mortal-Kombat-Armageddon.jpg
MK Armageddon
Shinnokrender0en.png
MK Armageddon
shinnokending.jpg
MK9

Cant wait to see his full design in MK10. Also, I hope quan chi has his MK4 costume in MK10.

Unicorn

Everyone left out the best form of Reptile that we never got to play as.

The human reptile all the way to the left. I'm still bummed.

MK9_Artbook_-_Reptile.JPG

Why did you have to remind me. It is so fucking glorious. I would have mained Reptile if that was an option for costume.

Top Bottom