• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The visual evolution of Mortal Kombat's roster

Aselith

Missing the best Scorpion

Scorpion.JPG

Scorpion played by Mr Magoo?

chaosaeon

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I actually prefer when some of the characters like Scorpion and SubZero have no backstory and are just mysterious dangerous ninjas ala the first movie. I liked how they were portrayed as ringers in the tournaments for Shang Tsung who were more or less silent badasses who were to be taken seriously. I can't say I'm a fan of the whole "his name is really this and he had a family and kids and here's his life story." I like where they just walk in slowly to music and everyone says "oh sheeeit."

And I want to see Cyber Smoke, and ninja badass Reptile. Reptile used to be my favorite. Would love to see him as a super agile ninja in classic atire that makes hissing sounds and moves around the environment like toad from Xmen.

Toxi

Banned
The female ninjas need more clothing differentiation like the male ninjas got. They all look too similar. I feel the only one where her current look works perfectly is Mileena.

If I keep eating my Wheaties, maybe one day I will grow up big and strong and be all machoor and growed up like you! Then I can finally stop playing Mortal Kombat games!

I think you misunderstood. I love Mortal Kombat and accept everything about it, I'm just not going to make excuses or complain about what it is. Mortal Kombat was made to appeal to young boys in the 90s, of course it's going to try to be sexy and stupid violent. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Manu

The female ninjas need more clothing differentiation like the male ninjas got. They all look too similar. I feel the only one where her current look works perfectly is Mileena.

They actually did before the reboot, the MK9 outfits make sense considering they're supposed to be updated versions of the MK1-3 ones.

But take a look at Jade in Deception for example (which is one of my favorite MK designs ever):

or Kitana in Deadly Alliance:

They looked much more unique.

I think you misunderstood. I love Mortal Kombat and accept everything about it, I'm just not going to make excuses or complain about what it is. Mortal Kombat was made to appeal to young boys in the 90s, of course it's going to try to be sexy and stupid violent. I wouldn't want it any other way.

If you say so...

239473_o.gif

NeonZ

Even though my above statement stands, I really didn't mind his MK9 design. However, when I first fired up MK4 back in the day and looked for him I was like "where the fuck is Reptile?"

Reptile had an alternate ninja-style costume in MK4 though.

ReptilesFinal3.jpg

Second from left to right in the second row.

Reptile had an alternate ninja-style costume in MK4 though.

ReptilesFinal3.jpg

Second from left to right in the second row.

MK4 (default) Reptile is the worst one.

If you're going to make him easily identifiable as a lizard, go all the way like Deadly Alliances design, don't do a half assed hybrid thing where it's a human body with lizard skin textured onto it. Personally I think there's a lot of interesting move potential with the clawed/hunched/tailed Reptile, so I'm not against it, if they aren't going to go fully ninja.

Some artwork depictions of the costumes over the years for Jade and Mileena:

Always going to have a sweet spot from nostalgia for MK1/2 because of the ninjas and bosses. MK3 had great concept art and I liked the cyborgs and Shiva, Motaro, but I didn't like the unmasked of Sub-Zero. Classic Scorpion 'come here' and 'finish him,' Shang Tsung will always be old and bearded to me, and Goro will always be the ultimate fighting game boss.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I personally think ninjas should be stealthy. So when they have overdesigns of chains, metal plates, and shit that would make noise...it makes no sense to me.

I do like scorpions new design minus the straps though.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Mortal Kombat's designs have always been pretty damn good. Especially the ninjas. I really liked how the core ninjas ended up differentiating from one another over the years.
Me too. I'm not really into MK games, but I love their art style.

Teremap

Banned
Some artwork depictions of the costumes over the years for Jade and Mileena:

Wow, goddamn. I knew Netherrealm was bad about this but this really makes it incredibly obvious. They SEEM to be improving with MKX, thankfully, but then again, it doesn't really take much to improve on THAT.

Banned
Oh my dear Reptile, what have they done to you? When will they return you to a green human ninja not hidden behind a DLC costume pack?

Oh my dear Reptile, what have they done to you? When will they return you to a green human ninja not hidden behind a DLC costume pack?

Not today!

Reptile_thumb.jpg

And the other recent reveals Ermac later when they put the picture up.

I like X Reptile, his bone armor is more fitting for his reptilian look than his MK9 clothes were.

Kitana's okay.

Top Bottom