• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The visual evolution of Mortal Kombat's roster

Ghazi

MK9 was limited by being on the 360/PS3 gen and being an Unreal Engine game.

MK10 will look gorgeous on PS4/XB1

Kieli

MK9 was limited by being on the 360/PS3 gen and being an Unreal Engine game.

MK10 will look gorgeous on PS4/XB1

How is the PC version? I'll probably be getting that over the PS3 version unless there are glaring issues I should be aware of.

Ghazi

How is the PC version? I'll probably be getting that over the PS3 version unless there are glaring issues I should be aware of.

I honestly haven't tried it, hopefully someone who has will let you know here, or it may be worth a read through of the MK9 PC OT (I'd link it for you, but I'm having trouble finding it).

This thread is a nostalgia trip.

I think their 1st or 2nd takes are generally the best.

The best design is typically the most elegant and simple.

Mike M

Nick N
This thread has made me take the plunge and blind order MK9 Komplete Edition. I've never been a huge fan of the series, but damn if I don't dig the mythos...

Watevaman

It's really good. No slowdown (except for when recording certain characters with FRAPS, no idea why) and it looks pretty. All the costumes are unlocked from the start, including the one you get for beating the challenge tower, so that may take away the experience but the challenge tower is still amazing. I can't comment on online but I haven't heard the best about it. Graphics wise, clean as hell, except for the story mode cutscenes, which are compressed movie files and not in-engine for whatever reason.

RedAssedApe

Banned
worse designs are the ones where they try and get too elaborate (i.e. the scorpion ones) and they just end up looking like they are trying to hard

MisterHero

Remember when people were like HOLY SHIT ANOTHER NINJA EXCEPT HE'S GREEN or COMPLETELY BLACK or GREY.

REPTILE HAS THE POWERS OF BOTH SUB-ZERO AND SCORPION

SMOKE'S UNLOCKABLE IN MK3 AAAAHHHHHH

Being a kid back then was so awesome.

ksdixon

I hate Sub Zero with ice arms, or the Shredder look. MK1/Shoulin Monks or MK2011 masked or MK3 unmasked looks are my faves.

Love some of the evolutions. Especially on Sub-Zero/Scorpion.

Essentially at some point everyone in the MK universe started hitting the roids though.

Albo

Somewhat impressed that the designs are consistently worse with every revision.

ibkWiy4OxarJ6A.gif

Only issue I really had with the mk9 designs were the girls were a bit too slutty, and female faces are still very iffy for the unmasked characters. Granted, some of the girls looked overall very tasty, most of the designs did make my wife roll her eyes.

God bless it for cosplayers though.

Everything else was fairly solid I thought. Called back to their iconic designs in many cases, while being updated to give each their own personality.

A new game means new designs! How do you rank them compared to previous ones?

I have to say, I prefer 9's Sub-Zero, but X's Scorpion is one of my favorites already. The AssCreed inspired blade is funny, but overall there's something about X's design that really sells the "ninja" angle, feeling less armored/layered than designs of the past and finding the right cloth/leather balance, second in that regard only to MK1/2.

Sub-Zero is the opposite, he went from a cloth outfit in 9 to the padded/quilted look that the series has had in the past, and I think it's a step back. I also prefer 9's belt.

Shaanyboi

Banned
New Scorpion is one of best-looking that character has ever looked.

New Sub-Zero is okay. It's no Shredder Sub-Zero though...

Toxi

Banned
Scorpion looks great. The hood especially.

I find it funny how Scorpion is supposed to be Japanese yet he always has the same gruff American-accented GET OVER HERE.

Nzyme32

I really really like the direction they are taking so far. They both look better than ever and their costume/body proportions seem great.

What's more, the idea that characters have multiple variations that will impact tactics and fighting style sounds incredible. I know that one of the games (or more) had multiple fighting styles that could be switched on the fly, but the description WB state makes it seem like something likely to be different to what we have seen so far.

For the first time, Mortal Kombat X gives players the ability to choose from multiple variations of each character impacting both strategy and fighting style.

It could be interesting to see if such character variations alter the characters looks/animations etc as well.

The Adder

Banned
The revealing outfits of the female ninjas could be explained in lore in that maybe that's just Outworld fashion.

Sonya's outfits have no excuse, though. She's supposed to be US military. She should wear appropriate uniform.

Sonya from MK1 to MK4 wore the same kind of clothes female MMA fighters wear except with less skin exposed. She was fine. Got a uniform in DA which I thought looked terrible and would suck to fight in. Then it went to shit in Vs DC

ZackGamer

Banned
A new game means new designs! How do you rank them compared to previous ones?

I have to say, I prefer 9's Sub-Zero, but X's Scorpion is one of my favorites already. The AssCreed inspired blade is funny, but overall there's something about X's design that really sells the "ninja" angle, feeling less armored/layered than designs of the past and finding the right cloth/leather balance, second in that regard only to MK1/2.

Sub-Zero is the opposite, he went from a cloth outfit in 9 to the padded/quilted look that the series has had in the past, and I think it's a step back. I also prefer 9's belt.

100/10 for both

Nzyme32

The revealing outfits of the female ninjas could be explained in lore in that maybe that's just Outworld fashion.

Sonya's outfits have no excuse, though. She's supposed to be US military. She should wear appropriate uniform.

Yeah, the one thing I hope to see change in terms of characters' appearances would be for the female characters to at least make a small amount of sense based on their background. Also the female characters have gone so far over the top, it's just bad.

Heard you were talking shit.

why you get bodied in all the trailers?

Ever since someone pointed it out in another thread, I can't unsee Baraka's tiny forearms.

damn, now i can't unsee it either.

I've never seen so much bad art in one place.

show us better then?

This thread is great, I never played a Mortal Kombat Game before but this really makes me want to play one. Is this one for the Vita a good start for people, who never played Beat em Ups?

Also, I really hope they really make a HD Remake of Shaolin Monks, like it was teased a couple of months ago. The game looked always very interesting.

Beat Em Ups are a different genre, but the Vita version of MK9 is great.

Somewhat impressed that the designs are consistently worse with every revision.
see above.

jett

D-Member
When you put it like that X Scorpion is a massive improvement. Interested in seeing the rest of the cast.

Am I the only one that actually likes the female character designs of MK9? That whole game is a 14 year old boy's wet dream, so their sexualization isn't a problem thematically, and I honestly don't get the claims of them being ugly.

What the hell, everyone else?

Manu

Am I the only one that actually likes the female character designs of MK9? That whole game is a 14 year old boy's wet dream, so their sexualization isn't a problem thematically, and I honestly don't get the claims of them being ugly.

Uh...

tuAE8vv.jpg

The body is pretty much a man's body with boobs and a narrower waist.

The face looks like something made with Demon's Souls editor instead of modeled by an actual modeller to resemble a woman. Also, man jaws.

Not to mention Kitana is supposed to be stunningly beautiful, in MK9 she looks like MJ.

Uh...

tuAE8vv.jpg

The body is pretty much a man's body with boobs and a narrower waist.

The face looks like something made with Demon's Souls editor instead of modeled by an actual modeller to resemble a woman. Also, man jaws.

Not to mention Kitana is supposed to be stunningly beautiful, in MK9 she looks like MJ.

That looks like every American comic book woman to me. Like, identical.

Top Bottom