• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To OLED, or not to OLED

What type of TV is your main TV?

• OLED

Votes: 421 71.4%
  • LCD

Votes: 109 18.5%
  • Something else

Votes: 39 6.6%
  • I don't own a TV, just a computer monitor

Votes: 21 3.6%

• Total voters

K2D

Banned
OLED is delegated to the cubbard. As of date of writing, an OLED suitable for the living room is not affordable.

T-Cake

Wish I could have an OLED TV but I move around a lot so all my gear needs to be portable these days. Nearest thing I'll get to it is if Apple puts one on their MacBooks.

JeloSWE

That's why I said on LG models

They have done the worst possible stress test for OLED tvs and LG models remained untouched by burn in issues. For normal usage probably all current OLED tvs will be fine.
For now... If there really was no issues any longer they wouldn't limit brightness full screen or dimm static images over time. I think they've made good progress and are over provisioning the OLED lifespan, they purposefully hold back the brightness to have the TV last longer, but eventually, they burn in will start to show when there is no more slack to tak from. Also the pixel refresher, aka pixel wear leveler is keeping the whole screen looking uniform by ageing fresh pixels to the same level as those that have been driven harder to keep all equally aged. The whole screen should lose intensity over time or will eventually not have enough slack and should start showing burn in by then. Again, if this truly were a non issue there wouldn't be any pixel refresher cycles or ABL present at all. But what I can agree is that if you just use it as a regular TV, not as a work monitor, then you are probably going to be fine until it's time to by a new TV.

Last edited:

JeloSWE

10 year old ST50 Panasonic plasma checking in- no burn in. Also have a LG C1.

If you know your tech you can easily mitigate any burn-in risk in today’s panels.
Sure, but... you have to baby the OLED TV, make sure you are not running the exact same static content for the majority of of the time. The displays are also limited brightness wise. While many people are happy with max 200 nit in a dark-ish room it's not always enough. It will especially limit the impact of HDR scenes that takes place in bright daylight scenes. That is if the content is mastered for higher nit levels and not neutered to fit all these dim OLEDs on the market today. The 4000 nit mastered HDR impact Batman v Superman has on my TV is ridiculously impressive. Unfortunately, these types of TVs are too expensive for the mainstream so most shows and movies are now days mastered towards the lowest denominator and shows from Disnaye are laughably dim in compairson, mostly around 200~400 nit at best. My TV can do full screen what most OLEDs can't even do on highlights. Sadly, OLED is flawed, it could in theory easily push 2000+ nit but ALL existing panels would develop burn in sooner than later. So saying burn in is a non issue is only because they are neutered and artificially limited and the impressive HDR we all could experience is still some ways off.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
The "G" in G3 stands for gallery. The whole point of the "G" series is to be wall mounted, hence no stand included.

They all can be wall mounted and LG isn't stupid. The G has always been better than the C and is the only one this year supporting MLA. Most people choosing it over the C don't care the G stands for gallery.

By the time you end up paying mortgage for it, these would be 10$ lol.
Just like LCD or dvd drives were. super expensive when the tech was new
Yup. This is just the beginning. I remember when the first OLED TV's started at $100k too. It want even that long ago. But the days of OLED are numbered just as the days of plasma were. MicroLED ought to be in the range of normal people budgets in 5 years or less.

Full disclosure I have worked with Best Buy for a number of years and they are a cooperate partner of mine but I make no money of any sales or anything like that its just why I always link Best Buy stuff when I look at tech

That said anyone looking for a killer OLED monitor the LG 45" 240hz OLED is on sale for $1499 and open box buys for around $1200 which makes this a stellar monitor imo

I know its not as bright and vibrant as the QDOLEDs but this size is massive sitting here on this desk and really immersive when playing

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-ult...ayport-hdmi-usb-black/6530356.p?skuId=6530356

reinking

Gold Member
You get what you pay for. Honestly the reason why they aren't pushing these Mini LEDs harder with the dimming zones and backlighting is because they just want you to buy the OLED. We both have QN90A and it has taken Samsung 3 years to release a significant upgrade in the tech(upcoming QN95C). Hisense will be the one to continue pushing LCD tech forward. That UX from Hisense is going to be something special.
I just looked at a Sony X95K side-by-side with an LG C2 and the mini-LED absolutely smacked the C2. This was at Best Buy so I am sure settings and lighting could have a lot to do with it. I never really saw anything in the loop to let me compare blooming and no QN95B at that store. I am not saying 100%, because of the reason mentioned in my earlier post I am currently shopping for deals, but a good mini-LED is probably my next TV.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I just looked at a Sony X95K side-by-side with an LG C2 and the mini-LED absolutely smacked the C2. This was at Best Buy so I am sure settings and lighting could have a lot to do with it. I never really saw anything in the loop to let me compare blooming and no QN95B at that store. I am not saying 100%, because of the reason mentioned in my earlier post I am currently shopping for deals, but a good mini-LED is probably my next TV.

The Hisense U8H is a great Mini LED and a steal at its current price range. Its right there with my Samsung QN90A in brightness, contrast, and local dimmimg ability. The upcoming Hisense U8K will be even better.

reinking

Gold Member
The Hisense U8H is a great Mini LED and a steal at its current price range. Its right there with my Samsung QN90A in brightness, contrast, and local dimmimg ability. The upcoming Hisense U8K will be even better.
I had a U8H on order but cancelled. The only thing that bothered me about it is I read it has an 8-bit panel. Since I had a TV die, I jumped on it but then I read on Slick Deals that Costco is going to start markdowns on current models tomorrow. I decided to see what kind of deals I can come across in the next week or so. I know the U8H has seen some good deals on top of the current price. I might jump back to it for a budget buy if nothing else comes up.

God help me, if I end up with on OLED please someone slap me if I become one of those people that has to tell everyone about it. :messenger_tongue:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Never going back to anything inferior.

Does SIGNIFICANTLY more to improve what's being pasted onto your eyeballs than current generational leaps in graphics.

Last edited:
I want to add and this should be obvious but please get the extended warranty! I got mine at best buy and when I got burn in after a few years they just come confirm it and give you credit for what you paid for it. After everything was said and done I got the brand new model for like $500.

EekTheKat

Went OLED and was difficult to go back. Got to play around with a miniled laptop and I think overall that's the less "fear of OLED burn in"solution for daily PC use. Both technology produce beautiful results.

I've mentioned this before, but my first OLED I was terrified of burn in and ran the thing at a dimmly lit half powered eco friendly settings for a couple years. The result was I paid a premium for a display I used for 4 years at a super dim setting and god awful calibration - which made very little sense the more I thought about it. After those years with that first OLED set VRR capable displays began hitting mainstream, and I was already eyeing an upgrade without really ever letting that first OLED set shine.

These days I'm on an OLED designed for PC use and it's been nothing but a headache for my usage patterns Turn out it's an older gen panel stripped of all TV based post processing and slapped on with a displayport marketed as an OLED monitor. It does however offer 48gbs FRL and functional VRR + HDR1000 for PC which made it sort of a unicorn back in the day.

About one year has passed and I'm at about 1000, as this particular monitor does not have eArc nor does it do 5.1 passthrough to optical. Though I recently picked up a literal magic HDMI box that solved everything and any problem I had with the shortcomings of the PC based OLED monitor.

reinking

Gold Member
I want to add and this should be obvious but please get the extended warranty! I got mine at best buy and when I got burn in after a few years they just come confirm it and give you credit for what you paid for it. After everything was said and done I got the brand new model for like $500.
I am currently looking for a TV. It seems a lot of warranties that used to cover burn in seem to no longer do so. I believe BB used to specifically state burn in but now says image ghosting (which might be more inclusive instead of exclusive). The thing I am looking at now though is adding the five-year warranty through BB for a C2 is pushing it toward the price of the Sony X95K. The only thing holding me back on the X95K is I really need a 55-inch TV for the location it mounts in my room.

I am currently looking for a TV. It seems a lot of warranties that used to cover burn in seem to no longer do so. I believe BB used to specifically state burn in but now says image ghosting (which might be more inclusive instead of exclusive). The thing I am looking at now though is adding the five-year warranty through BB for a C2 is pushing it toward the price of the Sony X95K. The only thing holding me back on the X95K is I really need a 55-inch TV for the location it mounts in my room.
Decisions decisions 😆. I can't speak to the quality of mini LED personally, but reviews make them sound great. Whichever tv you go with, grab that insurance!

Sw0pDiller

I own a LG 55B7 oled tv and this is the 6th year it's running. Using it for games and streams everyday and just these last months i've been seeing some image retention or burn in around the subtitles maybe not enought to run out and get a new tv but i've been looking around. The tv still amazes me now and then so i feel i can only upgrade to another oled tv. Been looking it seems the LG CS series is a mix between the panel of the C1 and internal hardware of the C2. but for considerably less money. 950 euro right now while a 55inch C2 sets me back 1300.

Macaron

Banned
Sure, but... you have to baby the OLED TV, make sure you are not running the exact same static content for the majority of of the time. The displays are also limited brightness wise. While many people are happy with max 200 nit in a dark-ish room it's not always enough. It will especially limit the impact of HDR scenes that takes place in bright daylight scenes. That is if the content is mastered for higher nit levels and not neutered to fit all these dim OLEDs on the market today. The 4000 nit mastered HDR impact Batman v Superman has on my TV is ridiculously impressive. Unfortunately, these types of TVs are too expensive for the mainstream so most shows and movies are now days mastered towards the lowest denominator and shows from Disnaye are laughably dim in compairson, mostly around 200~400 nit at best. My TV can do full screen what most OLEDs can't even do on highlights. Sadly, OLED is flawed, it could in theory easily push 2000+ nit but ALL existing panels would develop burn in sooner than later. So saying burn in is a non issue is only because they are neutered and artificially limited and the impressive HDR we all could experience is still some ways off.
This first sentence couldn't be more false. Unless you're constantly running a static image, there is no fear of burn in. Thats a far cry from having to "baby" anything. This whole post screams someone whos read stuff about OLED but never owned one.

Last edited:

Neilg

My living room is super bright, so I went with the samsung QN90a. It was $2100 for the 85" - always buy the previous years models a few months before they discontinue them.

Very happy with it - the sunlight can hit the screen directly and you can barely tell it's even on it. it's fucking BRIGHT. An OLED would have cost more and looked worse almost half the time the TV is in use. The times it would have looked better were not a significant enough jump from the qn90a anyway.

Last edited:

JeloSWE

This first sentence couldn't be more false. Unless you're constantly running a static image, there is no fear of burn in. Thats a far cry from having to "baby" anything. This whole post screams someone whos read stuff about OLED but never owned one.
Babying is not having static content on screen. Baybing is having your taskbar on auto hide, Babying is to have a black desktop without icons. Baybing is to not watch the same content day in and day out.

For watching, TV, movies, playing different games. There is no real risk of burn in on modern OLEDs as they employ various brightness mitigation strategies and pixel wear leveling to even out any signs of burn in. So for normal use, it's not really an issue, but using an OLED as a daily driver monitor, you still better baby it.

Macaron

Banned
Babying is not having static content on screen. Baybing is having your taskbar on auto hide, Babying is to have a black desktop without icons. Baybing is to not watch the same content day in and day out.

For watching, TV, movies, playing different games. There is no real risk of burn in on modern OLEDs as they employ various brightness mitigation strategies and pixel wear leveling to even out any signs of burn in. So for normal use, it's not really an issue, but using an OLED as a daily driver monitor, you still better baby it.
Bro. You literally have to forcefully keep a static image on the screen, and for a long period of time. The TVs will go into rest mode by themselves, and its not like "omg left a static image up all day im fucked!" it takes a lot.

No, you do not need to "baby" anything when using it daily unless you're an idiot keeping a static image on it everyday.

Do you own a OLED of any sort? Say no so I can be done taking you seriously, cause you come across like someone arguing nonsense you read in a reddit thread one time

Last edited:

JeloSWE

Bro. You literally have to forcefully keep a static image on the screen, and for a long period of time. The TVs will go into rest mode by themselves, and its not like "omg left a static image up all day im fucked!" it takes a lot.

No, you do not need to "baby" anything when using it daily unless you're an idiot keeping a static image on it everyday.

Do you own a OLED of any sort? Say no so I can be done taking you seriously, cause you come across like someone arguing nonsense you read in a reddit thread one time
I use my LCD for work and entertainment 16h a day. The taskbar would burn in eventually. Therefore I would have to baby it if it were an OLED.

Look, I'm not hating on OLEDs, it's a great technology when used like a normal TV or monitor with varied content. I've been very explicit that it's only a real issue is with prolonged static content. Which is exactly what I have on my screen. I'm really interested in TVs and been owning a couple of really high end ones and been reading AVSForum for years as well as closely follow RTings, HDTVTest etc and I've seen enough burn in examples to think twice to get one for my use case.

That said, the real issue is the lack of brightness in HDR compared to a top end LCD in my opinion. And this is entirely due to the risk of burn in, that's the only reason those preventive features exists and keeps the brightness reined in. In the end, the current tech is flawed due to the burn in risk and what it indirectly causes. Hopefully there is going to be some progress on a upcoming super efficient blue compound within a year or two that might help quite a lot with brightness and burn in resistance for QD OLEDs.

Hardensoul

Gold Member
My TV is ancient now, Sony 3D TV 1080P 240hz. But don't think I can go back to lower refresh rate TV. I'll stick with it till it craps out.

I use my LCD for work and entertainment 16h a day. The taskbar would burn in eventually. Therefore I would have to baby it if it were an OLED.

Look, I'm not hating on OLEDs, it's a great technology when used like a normal TV or monitor with varied content. I've been very explicit that it's only a real issue is with prolonged static content. Which is exactly what I have on my screen. I'm really interested in TVs and been owning a couple of really high end ones and been reading AVSForum for years as well as closely follow RTings, HDTVTest etc and I've seen enough burn in examples to think twice to get one for my use case.

That said, the real issue is the lack of brightness in HDR compared to a top end LCD in my opinion. And this is entirely due to the risk of burn in, that's the only reason those preventive features exists and keeps the brightness reined in. In the end, the current tech is flawed due to the burn in risk and what it indirectly causes. Hopefully there is going to be some progress on a upcoming super efficient blue compound within a year or two that might help quite a lot with brightness and burn in resistance for QD OLEDs.
I have fallen in love with an LG 45" UW 240hz OLED monitor but I too feel like I have to baby it as I am using it a lot on my PC

I have had a C9 since they launched with no burn in but my screen is starting to turn colors as for years we used it to display family pictures (as suggested by our installer) but it seems to have taken a toll on some parts as larger patches of what was yellow now looks green

Last guy we had look at it thinks the pixels have just degraded

Here is the pic of the 27" LG OLEDs running 24/7 in a shop on display

exu0aLv.jpg

Macaron

Banned

So you have NEVER owned an OLED, but here you are, writing paragraphs about how you have to "baby" them.

Sit this one out bro. Maybe sit everyone out when you come from a place of ignorance. Crazy you're going this hard based off rando shit you've read online. Whats funny is if you weren't picking and choosing solely to hate it seems? there are a lot of youtube vids that back up what im saying about burn in being a very very overblown worry.

Last edited:

Macaron

Banned
I have fallen in love with an LG 45" UW 240hz OLED monitor but I too feel like I have to baby it as I am using it a lot on my PC

I have had a C9 since they launched with no burn in but my screen is starting to turn colors as for years we used it to display family pictures (as suggested by our installer) but it seems to have taken a toll on some parts as larger patches of what was yellow now looks green

Last guy we had look at it thinks the pixels have just degraded

Here is the pic of the 27" LG OLEDs running 24/7 in a shop on display

exu0aLv.jpg
Idk what "using it a lot for my PC" means, but the other guy is a bit of a nonce for not hiding the taskbar lol burn in is not easy to get but of course if you keep the same static image every single time for years its going to happen.

Even with those images shuffling its still the same thing over and over for years i'm assuming? So def not a good idea. But if you haven't done a pixel wash it might help.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Maybe one of the dumbest things i've ever read lol some of yall reek of broke envy

You bought a dim TV. Its so dim that our Mini LEDs in SDR mode get brighter than that TV does in HDR. And no, I don't want black out blinds to make up for a TV being dim.

Last edited:

Macaron

Banned
You bought a dim TV. Its so dim that our Mini LEDs in SDR mode get brighter than that TV does in HDR. And no, I don't want black out blinds to make up for a TV being dim.
You seem like a teenager. I'll just leave it at that.

Yeah not blacking out my view because the TV is too dim I just use it at night other than that its a mini LED TV through the day
"I bought an OLED and put it by a window. This thing sucks!" cmon bro lol understand what youre purchasing next time

OLED. I can’t go back to LED after owning OLED for years. The LG OLED and especially the newer Samsung QD-OLED’s look spectacular.

Hardensoul

Gold Member
OLED till microLED.

then you're reeeeeeally like this vizio 480hz tv.
(your tv isnt actually 240hz, and that vizio isnt actually 480hz)
10 yrs ago! Vizio wasn't know for being a good brand back then, they were just cheap brand that got better sure. I should know I also still have Vizio that was 240hz bought same year but it's not the same as the Sony 3D 240hz.

Edit: I understood what you meant, that they may not be actual refresh rate. Just saying the 2 brands aren't comparable 10 yrs ago.

Last edited:
Top Bottom