• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson - Sony’s marketing deal for CoD lasts until 2025 or 2026

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Exactly. Technically Sony could be stubborn and just say no to every proposal, but Jimbo isn't stupid. He wants to collaborate. They'll figure something out.

Of course Sony can. Thye know Microsoft is not going to break any contracts, but if Sony decides to be dickish on CoD on Game Pass, Microsoft can certainly return the favor in 2025.

A little common sense is all you need
Common sense tells us that if there's a "no Gamepass" clause in the contract, Microsoft might want to reneg on that after it buys ABK. And common sense also tells us that Jimbo won't be stupid enough to block every single proposal. He likely wants to collaborate with Microsoft in the future so burning bridges would be a huge unforced error.

Common sense tells us that if there's a "no Gamepass" clause in the contract, Microsoft might want to reneg on that after it buys ABK. And common sense also tells us that Jimbo won't be stupid enough to block every single proposal. He likely wants to collaborate with Microsoft in the future so burning bridges would be a huge unforced error.

Common sense should tell you there isn't a "no gamepass" clause. There's a "no subscription" clause

Last edited:

Metnut

So what exactly did Microsoft really spend $70 or so billion on here? Seems like an awful low return on investment

So what exactly did Microsoft really spend $70 or so billion on here? Seems like an awful low return on investment
They spent it on a company that was worth about $70B while always releasing their games on all platforms.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
They spent it on a company that was worth about $70B while always releasing their games on all platforms.
It wasn't really worth $70bn, MS paid a significant premium.

After 2025, when CoD launches on GamePass (along with other Activision Blizzard titles), MS will likely see themselves as having the justification to make a substantial increase to the price of GamePass though.

After 2025, when CoD launches on GamePass (along with other Activision Blizzard titles), MS will likely see themselves as having the justification to make a substantial increase to the price of GamePass though.
So you think they spent $70B so they could increase the price of gamepass four years from now? That doesn't make any sense.

Even if CoD was an Xbox exclusive it hardly has an effect on how much they can charge on a subscription, most CoD fan would rather pay $60 upfront or play the F2P mode than pay $15 every month.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

So you think they spent $70B so they could increase the price of gamepass four years from now? That doesn't make any sense.

Even if CoD was an Xbox exclusive it hardly has an effect on how much they can charge on a subscription, most CoD fan would rather pay $60 upfront or play the F2P mode than pay $15 every month.

MS didn't pay $70 bn for CoD.

They paid $70 bn for Activision, Blizzard and King studios.

How is Microsoft a third party in this scenario?

You're not getting it. There's immediate recognition of the original party to the contract (Activision) and the third party who was assigned the contract (Microsoft)

Imagine you're in court and you try and take that stance. Wouldn't work no matter how you try to spin it.

Last edited:
Well they don't own them yet obviously, so they can't just put them on for that reason. Once they do you'll likely see all of the older ones on there.

After 2 years most people are no longer playing the multiplayer, buying battle packs, buying skins, etc. So Microsoft would have no reason currently/previously to pay Activision for a game on game pass that isn't going to have a bunch of additional in game sales.

Hold on...if people are no longer playing the multiplayer, buying MTX etc., then why would MS even bother putting the old CODs into GamePass? If that's you're thinking to why they haven't made an attempt to get older CODs in there so far, for reasons completely aside the single-player campaigns, then why does that suddenly change once they own ABK?

My reason for even suggesting they try getting an older COD release in there, if they were able to do so, is because of the single-player campaigns. Because to me, I'm still under the impression GamePass is useful for games other than just the live-service side of a game's content, or only live-service GaaS-type games. But if it's not, then there is practically no reason for MS to add older CODs to GamePass if they've been unable to add them beforehand.

Leyasu

Banned
If there’s stipulation’s in the marketing contract about keeping cod off of gp and the contract does last another few years.

Then the only way that I can see it coming day one before is if Sony no longer feels comfortable in paying the marketing of a Microsoft game. And negotiate an end to said contract.

We will see. All this back and forth is a waste of effort at the moment

Last edited:
Just marketing

I guess. Works for them if they want the brand associated with them going forward.

The FTC to my knowledge has no such power as granted by congress. Once it's approved they can't reconsider and change their mind after the fact. The EU does, however, I think.

The FTC may not have that power currently, but they're trying to push through legislature that would grant them that power in the future. We'll see if it actually comes to pass.

Last edited:

reksveks

If there’s stipulation’s in the marketing contract about keeping cod off of gp and the contract does last another few years.

Then the only way that I can see it coming day one before is if Sony no longer feels comfortable in paying the marketing of a Microsoft game. And negotiate an end to said contract.

We like endless speculation on this forum/internet though.

baphomet

They didn't do that with any of the Bethesda stuff, not sure why anyone would think that was a possibility now.

kyliethicc

No it doesn't, because

the PlayStation chad lol

denzel GIF

That doesn't tell us anything about what's in the agreement.

ABK made more profits last year than the entirety of Playstation (and likely Xbox). The ROI is gonna be fine.
I don't think this is true at all? ABK made something like 9 billion in income while PlayStation made 3 time that?

so Sony has 4-5 years to create their own COD.
Well it probably won’t go off PlayStation even after that. Worldwide PlayStation is the bigger brand and is actively building a multiplayer base. It would be mad to remove it from that ecosystem in much the same way having Bungie games exclusive makes little sense.

I do wonder whether there are agreements in place for PS+ extra. That would be an interesting turn of events.

Last edited:
I dont think buying Activision is even about gamepass. I think there is some other industry factor that is causing the purchase...like consoles have a decade left before they are done/niche. Or, MS want the management/headcount to make blockbusters because they feel like they can get IP but not make studios (343).

Anyways, COD will be on gamepass, but it wont be sclusive.

Shmunter

I can barely find a game in Cold War but never left wanting for Modern Warfare. We know #2 is coming now, but I’m not sure what point there is after least it be #3

Shubh_C63

Maybe pull from competitors console when COD is at its highest, because right now COD is at its lowest. Either way, honoring till 2026 seems less messy for all parties involved.

And Sony committing half of their entire budget to just GAAS games, they won't miss COD by 2026.

John Wick

It's funny how stupid some people are? A giant corporation like MS is gonna break contracts just so they can put a game on their service. MS want more customers, trust and honouring contracts is a major part of that. I can see Phil Nadella sat there rubbing their hands together on how they can get one over Sony by breaking the COD contract....... Lmfao

clarky

Gold Member
Just a random thought, what about PC gamepass? Thats where id be playing anyways. IF the sony deal blocks xbox don't think it would cover the pc version Probably wouldn't even been a consideration. it would he a big boost to the pc side of GP while they wait for the deal to expire. Although the optics might be a bit shit.

Not got any skin in the game one way or the other, bar from wanting to avoid spending another £70 on COD

Last edited:
Top Bottom