• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson - Sony’s marketing deal for CoD lasts until 2025 or 2026

Just a random thought, what about PC gamepass? Thats where id be playing anyways. IF the sony deal blocks xbox don't think it would cover the pc version Probably wouldn't even been a consideration. it would he a big boost to the pc side of GP while they wait for the deal to expire. Although the optics might be a bit shit.

Not got any skin in the game one way or the other, bar from wanting to avoid spending another £70 on COD

it'd block PC too. Platform doesn't matter

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
it'd block PC too. Platform doesn't matter
Any evidence or history to support this? its mostly console exclusive these type of deals cover no? Cant see sony seeing PC being a threat when the contracts were drawn up. After all MS would have to be insane to consider buying this for GP pc (if this merger/ takeover didnt exist). All speculation of course, and again just trying to avoid another £70 lol.

Another thought wasn't there some talk of some sort of monthly sub to COD at one point? Could be rolled into a GP sub if true no problem.

Last edited:
Any evidence or history to support this? its mostly console exclusive these type of deals cover no? Cant see sony seeing PC being a threat when the contracts were drawn up. After all MS would have to be insane to consider buying this for GP pc (if this merger/ takeover didnt exist). All speculation of course, and again just trying to avoid another £70 lol.

Wasnt there some talk of some sort of monthly sub to COD at one point? Could be rolled into a GP sub if true no problem.

if they're blocking google stadia they're definitely blocking PC gamepass lol

Swift_Star

Banned
You're essentially stating it would be some kind of monopoly if they made the IP exclusive. That's not at all how it works. Microsoft doesn't need Sony's money. It's no different than the Bethesda merger.
I give up, you don’t understand what is being said at all.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Another thought wasn't there some talk of some sort of monthly sub to COD at one point? Could be rolled into a GP sub if true no problem.

Ghostwire Tokyo and Deathloop aren’t on PC gamepass

Leyasu

Banned
It's funny how stupid some people are? A giant corporation like MS is gonna break contracts just so they can put a game on their service. MS want more customers, trust and honouring contracts is a major part of that. I can see Phil Nadella sat there rubbing their hands together on how they can get one over Sony by breaking the COD contract....... Lmfao
I’m not sure if you are implying that it is me that is stupid or you are talking about the people in the thread?

No I don’t think that Microsoft are going to break any contracts forcefully. I don’t think that they will renew or renegotiate them either once they have been fulfilled.

If there are stipulations in the contract, then xboxers are going to be paying for cod like everyone else for a bit longer yet

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Good point. Ah well, looks like im getting my hand in my pocket.
Besides, we have seen the Sony's contract template (for Resident Evil Village). Assuming it is the same contract, the clauses do not distinguish b/w Xbox Gamepass or PC Gamepass. It just says "Gamepass, XBLG, Stadia, and any other competing gaming subscription."

So that rules out both Xbox and PC Gamepass.

clarky

Gold Member
Strange thing about all this is, you've essentially got Sony paying MS to promote their (soon to be) most lucrative property. Not sure how all this actually sits with Sony lol. Wild times.

Swift_Star

Banned
It’s almost June 2022 and some people still believe this will come to gamepass day one. Let it go, peiple, it’s not happening. There won’t be breaches of contract and there’s a high probability that CoD will never be Xbox exclusive. Surely, y’all have to come to terms with that.

Swift_Star

Banned
Strange thing about all this is, you've essentially got Sony paying MS to promote their (soon to be) most lucrative property. Not sure how all this actually sits with Sony lol. Wild times.
They don’t care. They’re not this petty. They’re making tons of money from CoD and will keep making for years to come.
Warring just exists on the head of silly fanboys. If MS and Sony see business sense in putting their games on each other platforms, they’ll do it.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
There is a silver lining for Sony in this. Because of Sony's PS-centered marketing, COD will sell the most on PlayStation (more than Xbox and PC, as always). The more these games sell on PS, the harder it will be for MS to make these games exclusive.

kirby007

It’s almost June 2022 and some people still believe this will come to gamepass day one. Let it go, peiple, it’s not happening. There won’t be breaches of contract and there’s a high probability that CoD will never be Xbox exclusive. Surely, y’all have to come to terms with that.
I dont mind it won't be exclusive because i'm not sad enough to deny others their gaming pleasure, what does matter is that CoD will be gamepass day one in the end if that is in 2025 or 2030 doesn't really matter does it?

Most lucrative property because it's on PlayStation, remove all the sales from PlayStation an CoD is a lot less impressive as an IP. These marketing deals are just a way for Sony to make some easy money by leveraging their marketshare. If CoD get removed from PlayStation down the line Sony will have multiple years to work on an alternative for their users.

People seem to have a hard time understanding how much being a multiplatform game impact sales and how massive of a decision it would be for MS to remove CoD from PlayStation in the future.

Last edited:

kirby007

Most lucrative property because it's on PlayStation, remove all the sales from PlayStation an CoD is a lot less impressive as an IP. These marketing deals are just a way for Sony to make some easy money by leveraging their marketshare. If CoD get removed from PlayStation down the line Sony will have multiple years to work on an alternative for their users.
what a hilariously idiotic scenario please stop looking at it from a fanboy POV and look at it like Sony is, easy money without having to put devs working on something similair

what a hilariously idiotic scenario please stop looking at it from a fanboy POV and look at it like Sony is, easy money without having to put devs working on something similair
What you are saying makes no sense as an answer to what I wrote. Sony doesn't control if CoD get release on PlayStation or not, if MS removes it Sony will move on with their business like they have done many times in the past.

Last edited:

kirby007

What you are saying makes no sense as an answer to what I write. Sony doesn't control if CoD get release on PlayStation or not, if MS removes it Sony will move on with their business like they have done many times in the past.
Oh sorry I just responded towards the "theoretical" scenario you posted by assuming MS doesn't keep it multiplatform

Oh sorry I just responded towards the "theoretical" scenario you posted by assuming MS doesn't keep it multiplatform
I doubt they will but I keep seeing Xbox fans bringing that up ever since the announced their intention to buy Activision.

It's very unrealistic, even if MS was willing to lose a lot of money just to take it away from PlayStation userbase it would hardly hurt Sony because no single IP has that much of a pull and the space that was once occupied by CoD would be taken by some other game.

Let's say that about 10m (or even 15m) players buy a new CoD on PlayStation over the life of the title, that is still a fraction of how many PS5s will end up selling and it's not like everyone that buys CoD (or even most people that do) would change their console choice based on CoD alone.

Last edited:
Ghostwire Tokyo and Deathloop aren’t on PC gamepass

And there's NO evidence Deathloop goes to Game Pass this year either. Sony might have a PS Plus clause in their agreement that we aren't aware of. It might be exclusive in nature, keeping Deathloop off Game Pass for even longer, but adding it to the new PS Plus. If it isn't exclusive then Microsoft and Sony will BOTH have Deathloop in their respective game subscription services. We should assume nothing until it happens is my take. I view these things the way I view this south park paramount plus situation.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/south-park-stream-paramount-plus-1235182902/

ViacomCBS own South Park aka Paramount Plus should be the exclusive streaming home of South Park, but due to a $500 million 2019 deal that was struck between South Park and HBO Max, the FULL South Park catalog won't be available to its true owner's streaming service, Paramount Plus, for streaming inside the U.S. till the HBO Max Deal expires. But because the HBO Max deal doesn't cover outside the U.S., the full South Park catalog will arrive on Paramount Plus later this year in all other non U.S. markets.

And starting in season 27 in 2024, all new episodes of South Park will go straight to Paramount Plus, both in the U.S. and globally.

So when Microsoft can start putting new games into Game Pass as well as the entire back catalog of Call of Duty games will depend on exactly what those contracts say. Sony may have contracts signed with Activision that we haven't even been made aware of just yet. For example, we knew nothing about the exclusive PSVR2 deal they have with Modern Warfare 2 till just recently.

John Wick

I’m not sure if you are implying that it is me that is stupid or you are talking about the people in the thread?

No I don’t think that Microsoft are going to break any contracts forcefully. I don’t think that they will renew or renegotiate them either once they have been fulfilled.

If there are stipulations in the contract, then xboxers are going to be paying for cod like everyone else for a bit longer yet
Not you mate lol. It's just funny that how people think that corporations are console warriors lol.

clarky

Gold Member
They don’t care. They’re not this petty. They’re making tons of money from CoD and will keep making for years to come.
Warring just exists on the head of silly fanboys. If MS and Sony see business sense in putting their games on each other platforms, they’ll do it.
Aye. When the deal was announced my first reaction was that they'd go exclusive, but i thinking on it mainline COD stays Multiplatform but you'll see spin offs, exclusive modes perks, beta's etc etc only on Xbox once the deal runs out. That's the smart way to go for them.

clarky

Gold Member
There is a silver lining for Sony in this. Because of Sony's PS-centered marketing, COD will sell the most on PlayStation (more than Xbox and PC, as always). The more these games sell on PS, the harder it will be for MS to make these games exclusive.

People seem to have a hard time understanding how much being a multiplatform game impact sales and how massive of a decision it would be for MS to remove CoD from PlayStation in the future.
Never said anything about removing COD from Playstation fella's, just that the times are wild when you'll essentially have Sony paying to promote a Microsoft owned IP. Untwist your knickers, I think it stays multiplatform as well.

johnjohn

The whole situation has to make some higher ups at PS feel pretty uneasy. COD has been such an important partnership for them and now that MS has control of the franchise that partnership is on shaky ground.

I don’t know if Sony are capable of making a COD replacement but I’m sure Bungie would help them out with that. They do have a lot of experience with FPS and something COD like wouldn’t be impossible for them to make.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I don’t know if Sony are capable of making a COD replacement but I’m sure Bungie would help them out with that. They do have a lot of experience with FPS and something COD like wouldn’t be impossible for them to make.
Deviation Games is floating under the radar right now. They are already a big studio, and their game will probably be the closest thing to Call of Duty, a commercial and a critical success. I also see Sony acquiring Deviation Games relatively soon.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No i meant the first. Killzone 2 was a garbage CoD clone. Its multiplayer maps were terrible and the campaign unmemorable. Killzone 1 however was absolutely the best FPS on the PS2
Hurley What GIF

Top Bottom