• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Warren: Gears 6, Fable and South of Midnight are “not” under consideration for Proj. Latitude and will be exclusive. Fable & SoM expected in 2025.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
You don't consider PS5 release if you don't have PS5 port in your initial pipline. Especially since Gears 6, Fable and SoM were stuck in dev hell for years even for current target platforms.

It's not a lie from Warren, but half-truth, as usual. They are exclusives until the release. And only after that the PS5 poring job will commence. That's why we see HB2 in the list already, lol.

Last edited:

Negotiator101

Gold Member
It's simple: multi-platform is the definite future (and the future is also now). All current platforms have a expiration date, and recently we've activated a new set of dates. Xbox is first, then soon Playstation will be fully engulfed. Switch is currently in a unique situation, but will not be infinitely unaffected. PC's few remaining walls will also eventually fall, especially with the AI revolution currently ramping up. And, this is just my little notion-thingy: A new holistic standardized platform will emerge. I honestly find it fascinating that the previous phase lasted this long. But it's all good. We can just keep calm and embrace it - Unless of course you're in the unfortunate situation of being a shill.
This is a possibility but is this likely with hardware still being a factor? I don't see how a peice of hardware can sell when the software is available everywhere? Once hardware is dropped by whomever then absolutely but that's a ways away IMO.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
You don't consider PS5 release if you don't have PS5 port in your initial pipline. Especially since Gears 6, Fable and SoM were stuck in dev hell for years even for current target platforms.

It's not a lie from Warren, but half-truth, as usual. They are exclusives until the release. And only after that the PS5 poring job will commence. That's why we see HB2 in the list already, lol.

Hellblade was a Playstation Exclusive once and saw success there, so it makes sense to port it for that userbase.

Don't get me wrong, in a world where Xbox console business wasn't in such dire straits. MS would have loved to be able to flaunt the game as an console exclusive but that isn't reality.

drganon

Gold Member
It's simple: multi-platform is the definite future (and the future is also now). All current platforms have a expiration date, and recently we've activated a new set of dates. Xbox is first, then soon Playstation will be fully engulfed. Switch is currently in a unique situation, but will not be infinitely unaffected. PC's few remaining walls will also eventually fall, especially with the AI revolution currently ramping up. And, this is just my little notion-thingy: A new holistic standardized platform will emerge. I honestly find it fascinating that the previous phase lasted this long. But it's all good. We can just keep calm and embrace it - Unless of course you're in the unfortunate situation of being a shill.
89a866a9-931c-4356-835d-3b319fb19858_text.gif

Camreezie

Hellblade 2 is so prime for being in one of the next batches. Super interested to see what gets chosen before the really big hitters of Gears , Halo and Forza. Also Viva Pinata would be a perfect fit for switch ports

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Just out of interest.

Are you more interested in up coming xbox games that are announced or rumoured to be announced more than what playstation games we know are coming?

Probably worth answering after Sunday tbh lol
I’ll answer this right now:
1. On paper, Xbox output for the next year is orders of magnitude stronger than what PS is putting out. That can change in a hurry if Ghost of Tsushima 2 or Bloodborne remake/sequel get announced. Indiana Jones is far and away the title that looks best. Doom Dark Ages can take that spot. I’m no longer interested in Avowed. The more I see/hear about that game, the less interested I become.
2. 1. assumes those games will actually be good. Xbox has such a piss poor record of managing studios and first party games that my faith in those games actually being truly good is rather low. How anyone can have faith after Redfall and Starfield (not a terrible game but nowhere near what the hype indicated it should be) is beyond me. The track record simply isn’t there for me to have high hopes,

Plus…Xbox just fucking refuses to do a Fallout 3/New Vegas remaster. The easiest fucking no brainer in history. They can’t take easy wins even when they’re available.

I want these Xbox games to be good, I really do, but I do want Gamepass to die. That thing simply isn’t sustainable. Black Ops 6 ain’t gonna save it.

Last edited:

Negotiator101

Gold Member
I’ll answer this right now:
1. On paper, Xbox output for the next year is orders of magnitude stronger than what PS is putting out. That can change in a hurry if Ghost of Tsushima 2 or Bloodborne remake/sequel get announced. Indiana Jones is far and away the title that looks best. Doom Dark Ages can take that spot.
2. 1. assumes those games will actually be good. Xbox has such a piss poor record of managing studios and first party games that my faith in those games actually being truly good is rather low. How anyone can have faith after Redfall and Starfield (not a terrible game but nowhere near what the hype indicated it should be) is beyond me. The track record simply isn’t there for me to have high hopes,

Plus…Xbox just fucking refuses to do a Fallout 3/New Vegas remaster. The easiest fucking no brainer in history. They can’t take easy wins even when they’re available.

I want these Xbox games to be good, I really do, but I do want Gamepass to die. That thing simply isn’t sustainable. Black Ops 6 ain’t gonna save it.
You made some good points until Gamepass isn't sustainable tripe. Word to the wise Gamepass started in 2017, that's 7 years if it wasn't sustainable it would be gone by now.

nemiroff

Gold Member
This is a possibility but is this likely with hardware still being a factor? I don't see how a peice of hardware can sell when the software is available everywhere? Once hardware is dropped by whomever then absolutely but that's a ways away IMO.

They can still sell branded boxes so-to-speak, and they can still lock down parts of them. But I mean, we already went through a major shift with PC and consoles on X86 architecture (hence why it's so lucrative for MS and Sony to go multi-platform). Thus my personal hypothesis is that this momentum will just continue to increase until we're on harmonized standards (which could even include other existing "platforms" in some form, idk..) and a multi-platform market where "Xbox" or "Playstation" as services/publishers matters more than the specific hardware they're on.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

It's pretty safe to assume everything is under consideration.

Why wouldn't it be

It's like Sony games on PC. Eventually it will be everything same as xbox games on PS.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
You made some good points until Gamepass isn't sustainable tripe. Word to the wise Gamepass started in 2017, that's 7 years if it wasn't sustainable it would be gone by now.
Word to the dumbass:

Xbox was a rounding error to MS until ABK came in. Gamepass was sold on this lie that it would have 80M subscribers. It’s been stagnant at 35M with about 10M of that 35 for Core. It’s called doing basic math. Those numbers are not going to support AAA budgets. Of that 25M who knows how much of those are actually paying the full $16.99 a month.

Anything with a functioning brain can figure that out.

MS is now telling Xbox it’s time to make money. Black Ops 6 is their Hail Mary.

Negotiator101

Gold Member
Word to the dumbass:

Xbox was a rounding error to MS until ABK came in. Gamepass was sold on this lie that it would have 80M subscribers. It’s been stagnant at 35M with about 10M of that 35 for Core. It’s called doing basic math. Those numbers are not going to support AAA budgets. Of that 25M who knows how much of those are actually paying the full $16.99 a month.

Anything with a functioning brain can figure that out.

MS is now telling Xbox it’s time to make money. Black Ops 6 is their Hail Mary.
You're talking out of your ass mate, 7 years is a significant amount of time. It would have finished if unsustainable, quick to insult but no common sense 🙄

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
They can still sell branded boxes so-to-speak, and they can still lock down parts of them. But I mean, we already went through a major shift with PC and consoles on X86 architecture (hence why it's so lucrative for MS and Sony to go multi-platform). Thus my personal hypothesis is that this momentum will just continue to increase until we're on harmonized standards (which could even include other existing "platforms" in some form, idk..) and a multi-platform market where "Xbox" or "Playstation" as services/publishers matters more than the specific hardware they're on.
Except you delusional goofballs somehow believe that Sony is feeling pressure to put their titles out day and date on PC and PS and that somehow their current strategy of PS first and PC down the line isn’t working. That strategy at the moment still makes most sense, while putting multiplayers games on both platforms. Eventhough, you people speak loudly “that is the future” there is no monetary evidence that is changing. PC versions of PS games still sell a fraction of what they are selling on PS. Not to mention that PS5 is AHEAD of where PS4 is at this time. Does that mean it won’t happen? No, but I won’t believe it will happen until it happens. At best, I can see Sony decrease the gap between PC and console releases to say about 6 months,

To be fair, Helldivers 2 has been wildly successful as a multiplatform release and I am open to the possibility of Sony considering a single player game as a test case in the future, but that genie can’t be put back in the bottle.

gerth666

Maybe Microsoft are happy to take short-term losses in order to make long term gains. I mean come on we all know the costs in making AAA games, if you honestly think that it recoups all money I don't know what to say

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
You're talking out of your ass mate, 7 years is a significant amount of time. It would have finished if unsustainable, quick to insult but no common sense 🙄
You’re the one talking with Phil Spencer’s ass in your face. There’s a reason a we have these games going multiplat…it’s because Gamepass has been an abject failure. I admire them sticking it out with Black Ops 6, I really do, but I legit hope it falls flat on their face.

gerth666

Except those gains never came….and likely arent.
I wouldn't say never, if the future of gaming is streaming and such, they're positioning there self as the market leader in that realm of gaming. I mean I'm a physical game collector, but even I can see that it's a really attractive service if you're happy to rent

Negotiator101

Gold Member
You’re the one talking with Phil Spencer’s ass in your face. There’s a reason a we have these games going multiplat…it’s because Gamepass has been an abject failure. I admire them sticking it out with Black Ops 6, I really do, but I legit hope it falls flat on their face.
Listen "not sustainable" is fanboy talk. Phil Spencer quote "We're a business. I've said over and over," he said. "I don't get any luxury of not having to run a profitable growing business inside of Microsoft. And we are that today.

That's not my words and certainly not ones uesd of an unsustainable model. I'll add that though sustainable it's probably not making loads hence the move to Multiplatform but Gamepass is here to stay, here's to the next 7yrs 🥳

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Listen "not sustainable" is fanboy talk. Phil Spencer quote "We're a business. I've said over and over," he said. "I don't get any luxury of not having to run a profitable growing business inside of Microsoft. And we are that today.

That's not my words and certainly not ones uesd of an unsustainable model. I'll add that though sustainable it's probably not making loads hence the move to Multiplatform but Gamepass is here to stay, here's to the next 7yrs 🥳
Except he did get that luxury… until ABK happened, the big wigs took notice and said that he wasn’t going to get an unlimited budget to try to run Xbox anymore. Investors finally started looking at the Xbox books. MS actions towards recent Xbox tells you everything you need to know.

I’ve been saying for years that at some point MS was going to come in and start asking Xbox to be profitable….its just strange that it took a $70 billion acquisition for that to happen.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I wouldn't say never, if the future of gaming is streaming and such, they're positioning there self as the market leader in that realm of gaming. I mean I'm a physical game collector, but even I can see that it's a really attractive service if you're happy to rent
I will never buy into this narrative that the future of gaming is streaming. People say this without any evidence to back it up. It might at best be fine as a supplement, but as the main way to do gaming..,I don’t see it happening. Just too many obstacles to overcome. I have yet to see evidence that streaming for gaming is picking up…steam. I tried it once on PC as a stadia demo and it worked better than I thought it would, but it was never a remote consideration for replacing dedicated hardware. Not to mention the costs to maintain servers/hardware running those games…yeah.

Last edited:

gerth666

I will never buy into this narrative that the future of gaming is streaming. People say this without any evidence to back it up. It might at best be fine as a supplement, but as the main way to do gaming..,I don’t see it happening. Just too many obstacles to overcome. I have yet to see evidence that streaming for gaming is picking up…steam. I tried it once on PC as a stadia demo and it worked better than I thought it would, but it was never a remote consideration for replacing dedicated hardware. Not to mention the costs to maintain servers/hardware running those games…yeah.
Mate I agree with you, all I said was if. I love collecting games, I have hundreds of games spread over ps1 to ps5,, not counting my Nintendo stuff. All I'm saying is Microsoft are positioned nicely if it goes that way

gerth666

Right? but 7yrs? Spanning 2 generations.
Look I'm not going to be convinced it's making money now regardless what Xbox pr people say. The economics of games production tells me that at £15 a month they can't possibly be breaking even. Every streaming service they loss lead in order to get as many subscribers as possible. Netflix, Disney, apple....how many teams do Microsoft have now? The cost to run their 1st party studios must be astronomical, for Christ sakes we're in a thread about them bringing there games to other platforms in order to make money. What does that tell you. I imagine they'll keep taking a hit on it until they hit their subscription target, then like netflix and their like, the price's will go up to make money. Could also go the other way, make cuts to the service, who knows how it's going to play out.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Look I'm not going to be convinced it's making money now regardless what Xbox pr people say. The economics of games production tells me that at £15 a month they can't possibly be breaking even. Every streaming service they loss lead in order to get as many subscribers as possible. Netflix, Disney, apple....how many teams do Microsoft have now? The cost to run their 1st party studios must be astronomical, for Christ sakes we're in a thread about them bringing there games to other platforms in order to make money. What does that tell you. I imagine they'll keep taking a hit on it until they hit their subscription target, then like netflix and their like, the price's will go up to make money. Could also go the other way, make cuts to the service, who knows how it's going to play out.
Not to mention people are souring on subscriptions. I’m not 100% certain on this but TML Netflix is legit the only service that has made money.

Not to mention people are souring on subscriptions. I’m not 100% certain on this but TML Netflix is legit the only service that has made money.
I think I read some of the other sub services will be profitable soon. Like in the next year or so but I never verified if that was true just something I saw someone post.

gerth666

100% agree. Speaking for myself I've gotten rid of the lot of them. And when it comes to games I don't see the point of paying a fee to rent 100s of games, the most of which, if you're honest with your self you're not going to play. I like buying what I like, it's mine and in my collection for ever. Plus that's the best way to support studios you like

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Short term? 7yrs? Really?

We saw the e-mails from Phil Spencer about reaching 100m subscribers.

If they're sustainable at 25 million, then there would be no reason for Phil to be worried about reaching 100 Million subscribers by 2027.

jwaxeman

Its amazing at this point that anyone would say that any game published by MS won't come out on other platforms.

Look - if the title can be thought of potentially making them more money on other platforms (this goes beyond PS), then it will, in time, get ported. Simple as that. In a year, this won't even be a conversation anymore.
splash ships GIF

SneakersSO randomly shows up with his bombshell comments. I love it.
We have one year to see if he is right or not!

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Because those franchises were never on PS. Other franchises that have been on PS like Elder Scrolls and Doom would make sense.

Sony fans: "But...but....Microsoft is a 3rd party company now.....those games MUST come to Playstation"

Because those franchises were never on PS. Other franchises that have been on PS like Elder Scrolls and Doom would make sense.

Sony fans: "But...but....Microsoft is a 3rd party company now.....those games MUST come to Playstation"

We've gotten other games that were never on PS. Hi-Fi Rush, Grounded, SOT, Pentiment. I don't understand the constant need to make up excuses or reasoning for every single game that comes to PS from Xbox. More and more Xbox games keep coming to PS and every single time there is some new reasoning for why it's ok.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

If people were buying Xbox consoles and Gamepass subscriptions were increasing then I'd believe those franchises would stay exclusive...but they're not and there is no sign of that changing. Starfield didn't do anything. You're a special level of gullible if you don't think they're coming to PS5.

The question is when.

Last edited:

fallingdove

The second game will be a new installment of Gears of War, which hasn't been earmarked as a Project Latitude game, so it should be exclusive to Xbox and PC. I'm also expecting we'll see more of Fable and South of Midnightand even 2025 release windows for both of these titles. I understand both Fable and South of Midnight aren't currently being considered for Project Latitude releases.
The slimy platform-ness of this news. Thanks a lot Phil.

HerjansEagleFeeder

Gold Member
Project Revenue should be the real name.
Exactly. They probably won't commit to multiplat for everything any time soon. Some titles go to PS5 et al to help finance them, titles they think are key differentiators will be kept exclusive. I wouldn't be surprised if, in 10 years time or so, it might make sense for them to make COD exclusive. Nobody will remember what they said in 2023 then, they can do whatever they want.

The whole slate is coming to PS5 at some point.

Anyone that is still holding on to delusions that they won't bring any and all their games to PS5 after seeing how Xbox sales have tanked and Phil's interview is only lying to themselves.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

Maybe? Nintendo is an odd one because you look at Switch sales and the thought of them going multiplatform seems ridiculous. However, maybe it could happen 🤔

The selling point of the switch is that it's a hybrid. If the main selling point was Nintendo software then every Nintendo console would be a massive success. Obviously that wasn't the case for the Wii U. I had a Wii U and personally, I thought it was a cracking machine and it had some incredible games, but the amazing software didn't save it from failure. There is a chance the Switch successor could flop like the Wii U

Another point is the Switch successor will also have some competition. We already have the Steam Deck and other PC handhelds that although too expensive now to be serious competition, might be in the future if the costs can come down. Microsoft are also rumored to be making a handheld and even Sony are considering going back into the handheld arena. Maybe then Nintendo lose so much money that they decide to leave the hardware market.

I'm just randomly pulling ideas out of my ass on how Nintendo could go multiplatform, but if I'm being honest I really can't see it happening. Everyone said the same thing when the Wii U was tanking and Nintendo bounced back. They always seem to bounce back.

Top Bottom