• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Warren: Gears 6, Fable and South of Midnight are “not” under consideration for Proj. Latitude and will be exclusive. Fable & SoM expected in 2025.

Seems like MS just wants to put smaller games, legacy franchises (Doom) and GaaS stuff on Switch/PlayStation.

I have a feeling State of Decay 3 will be on PS5 shortly after launch, if not at launch, it's a great multiplayer game and one that can be easily monetized a lot.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Who's porting xbox games to ps5? Is it the actual developer or are they outsourced?

It's the one thing that makes me think that there maybe a delay of around 6 months minimum, similar to ps5 and PC launches. Sonys devs aren't really making the PC versions I believe? While ms studios are, so they are day one. Ps5 will potentially need to be ported after the launch on pc and xbox.

Last edited:
Seems like MS just wants to put smaller games, legacy franchises (Doom) and GaaS stuff on Switch/PlayStation.

I have a feeling State of Decay 3 will be on PS5 shortly after launch, if not at launch, it's a great multiplayer game and one that can be easily monetized a lot.

Feels to me like they are just starting off slowly with smaller games, and legacy stuff so the fan base doesn't freak out as much. Then they'll just start releasing everything. It's the exact same strategy they used for releasing on PC. You even have Phil Spencer already stating that nothing is off the table as far as porting and that more are coming yet the fan base still believes that there are redlines. Phil Spencer is literally saying there are no redlines but the fan base is saying exact opposite simply because of how they releasing the games.

On one hand I'd say it's a stupid strategy because it's obvious what's going on but on the other hand it's clearly working so what do I know?

Quantum253

SouthofMidnightHazel.png
South of Acolyte

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Feels to me like they are just starting off slowly with smaller games, and legacy stuff so the fan base doesn't freak out as much. Then they'll just start releasing everything. It's the exact same strategy they used for releasing on PC.

It’s not the same strategy they used for PC. On PC they came out and said everything would be day and date.

Negotiator101

Gold Member
Who's porting xbox games to ps5? Is it the actual developer or are they outsourced?

It's the one thing that makes me think that there maybe a delay of around 6 months minimum, similar to ps5 and PC launches. Sonys devs aren't really making the PC versions I believe? While ms studios are, so they are day one. Ps5 will potentially need to be ported after the launch on pc and xbox.
Aren't the ones released so far handled in-house?

Blood Borne

Who do we listen to then?
Listen to anyone who has proven to be credible. Tom Warren hasn’t. He simply makes guesses like the rest of us.

You don’t have to listen to anyone just because you’re desperate for leaks/insiders. If no one credible is available, then so be it. Just wait until it’s official.

Negotiator101

Gold Member
Listen to anyone who has proven to be credible. Tom Warren hasn’t. He simply makes guesses like the rest of us.

You don’t have to listen to anyone just because you’re desperate for leaks/insiders. If no one credible is available, then so be it. Just wait until it’s official.
Who is credible?

feynoob

Gold Member
MS would keep certain games locked on Xbox, while porting other games.

They want to give xbox brand some value. But that will change if gamepass keeps failing with COD.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This isn't true at all.

Htg3IEM.png

Nope, you’re wrong. Dude misunderstood and wrote an article on it.

On the podcast, Spencer explains that Microsoft are “committed to bringing [the] biggest franchises from Xbox to Windows, we’ve said that” but that it “doesn’t mean, necessarily, that every game ends up on both platforms, because there could be some differences in how things play.

Yes, it didn’t mean every game would be on both platforms - but it was PC games not initially appearing on Xbox, not the other way around.

It’s 100% true and literally what got me off the fence to build my first PC.

Last edited:

kfpkiller

Because those franchises were never on PS. Other franchises that have been on PS like Elder Scrolls and Doom would make sense.

Sony fans: "But...but....Microsoft is a 3rd party company now.....those games MUST come to Playstation"

This you ?
Geez!! Yes! Xbox only.......for a while at least. There likely won't be any Xbox games released day and date with PS5. The only one which will, is COD. Maybe 6 months later Doom will go to other platforms....for $70

jwaxeman

I wouldn't openly bet against him. That dude knows shit.
I will 100% agree he’s been correct so far on everything. That said, he claimed to know for sure that there is active work on many ports and that “everything” is coming to PlayStation. So I’m eagerly awaiting everything coming to PlayStation. It seems like a big bet, so I’m not totally convinced, but that doesn’t mean I think he’s full of shit. I think he’s right, probably. He’s been right so far!

Last edited:

jwaxeman

Tom has proven credible in the past.
I love and cherish sneakersso here for so far being pretty close to perfect predicting Xbox’s third party stuff over the past six months. That said, he was confident that everything including tent pole titles were getting ported. I feel like if this was true, Tom Warren would have corroborated it.

Varteras

Gold Member
I will 100% agree he’s been correct so far on everything. That said, he claimed to know for sure that there is active work on many ports and that “everything” is coming to PlayStation. So I’m eagerly awaiting everything coming to PlayStation. It seems like a big bet, so I’m not totally convinced, but that doesn’t mean I think he’s full of shit. I think he’s right, probably. He’s been right so far!

Yeah. He was one of the few speaking from a position of certainty, before it became clear what was happening, that ports were coming. Even when people were in denial and there was no evidence, or even much talk, that PlayStation was getting not one, but five Xbox ports. He called it that Xbox properties were going to start landing day and date on PlayStation. Which just happened with Doom.

Now, one could try and argue that this was "always the case and Xbox was transparent about a case-by-case basis", but the FTC trial exposed that as a lie. Meaning, Doom going to PlayStation was not always the plan. Rather, it reflects a change of plans that he claimed, and was right, was coming.

As far as what he has said, I don't know that he has directly stated that definitely everything was coming. I actually seem to recall him saying that was not fully the case, as of right now or the near future. Rather, the likelihood was high that it would eventually happen, and that more than enough games would be getting ports and Day 1 releases on PlayStation soon enough that one might as well just not even bother asking the question.

So, I wouldn't hold him to "everything will be PlayStation in a year", because I'm pretty sure he's been careful to not outright state that and has said not literally every game. His wording is actually that, like I said, to not bother being in denial about anything. That everything is, at least, on the table. Not necessarily for sure. For now. Which is consistent with Xbox's PR lately. He was just ahead of them when he said it.

Last edited:

DryvBy

They've bought so many studios that were in the middle of making PS5 editions that they just finish them up. After the Gamepass early access from their paying fan base, of course.

Sintoid

Going multiplatform was not "under consideration" since a couple of months ago

Anyway we peaked a new level of port begging

GHound

Gold Member
I mean at least on Steam I can click the ignore button and be on my merry way. I see this as an absolute win.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

As long as the devs teams have the PS5 dev kits day and date is very much possible.
If the game starts as a DX12 game going down(sideways) to AGC(X) wouldnt be as much of an issue, Sony port job thing is that they have their devs working and optimizing for a single platform and they dont start work on another platforms version until the prime version is complete, thats the delay.
In truth Sony could do day and date with PC/Xbox if they wanted to.

The ports to PS5 so far have been in house cuz as i said DX12 to AGC(X) shouldnt be the biggest challenge in the world.
This isnt the PS360 era where the hardware was vastly different.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
As long as the devs teams have the PS5 dev kits day and date is very much possible.
If the game starts as a DX12 game going down(sideways) to AGC(X) wouldnt be as much of an issue, Sony port job thing is that they have their devs working and optimizing for a single platform and they dont start work on another platforms version until the prime version is complete, thats the delay.
In truth Sony could do day and date with PC/Xbox if they wanted to.

The ports to PS5 so far have been in house cuz as i said DX12 to AGC(X) shouldnt be the biggest challenge in the world.
This isnt the PS360 era where the hardware was vastly different.

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, it seems sony are using port studios to do the PC versions of games so I guess they have to wait for the final code to be completed.

I think most studios will be fine with doing ps5 day one for MS but games like Fable might take a little longer. 6 to 12 months to begin with.

As soon as developers are up to speed they will probably be day one.

Sony probably has the biggest hurdle here so I can imagine day and date with pc will take some time to ramp up.

Top Bottom