• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Review Thread!

csAvJbP.gif

I'm not a fan of the overly blatant violence. Doesn't seem like the Tomb Raider I know, even if it is how she became "hardened"...

JohngPR

The week early embargo was probably as good a hint as any that review scores would be good. I can't think of the last AAA game that had a review embargo lift this early.

Looking forward to next week!

You know, the more I think of this game as it's own entity, and as an actual reboot separate from the previous games, the more I think that it's going to be really fun.

Looks very polished too. May well check this out.

Tomb Raider is well-written, sympathetic, exciting, beautiful and just incredibly well-made. The single-player rarely makes a mis-step, and though Lara's quick transformation into a hardened killer seems at odds with the narrative at first, the game quickly moves past it. It is a superb action game that brings a new emotional dimension to one of gaming's most enduring icons, and repositions her alongside Nathan Drake at the top of gaming's action-hero heirachy.

I worry this is going to be a case of 'we need to back this game'. Which is a shame.
I'll await the gaf impressions for fairness and try to keep an open mind.

EDIT: Does seem like everyone is quite liking it but.

IGN Review said:
Tomb Raider is well-written, sympathetic, exciting, beautiful and just incredibly well-made. The single-player rarely makes a mis-step, and though Lara's quick transformation into a hardened killer seems at odds with the narrative at first, the game quickly moves past it. It is a superb action game that brings a new emotional dimension to one of gaming's most enduring icons, and repositions her alongside Nathan Drake at the top of gaming's action-hero heirachy.

ffBp6pA.gif

99% sure it's Brad. He recently asked if he could not do any reviews for a while after Tomb Raider, this could either be just because he's been putting in work or the game is sucking away his soul, it'll be interesting to see. :p

Might just be he does quite a lot of reviews.

Great reviews thus far.

Look forward to giving this one a go in the near future, but seeing as you can pre-order it for around £31 already, i'll give it a month before it drops in below £20 somewhere ala Hitman.

Lime

though Lara's quick transformation into a hardened killer seems at odds with the narrative at first, the game quickly moves past it.

This is a major problem for the game.

CTLance

XFNdwEG.gif

Those are some pretty decent scores.

Off to read the reviews I go.

eurogamer said:
The gory imagery is so prevalent and overblown it soon loses any power to shock or scare. "Oh," Lara might say, if she were thinking out loud, "Another room full of flayed corpses and pools of blood. I wonder what's in that crate?"
Fancy.

Despite the narrative's best efforts, the transition from ordinary innocent to violent murderer happens with about as much thoughtful discourse on conflicting moral complexities as there is in an episode of The Wright Stuff.
Eh.

Top Bottom