• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Review Thread!

Squire

Banned
I've only read the Kotaku review so far but there was no mention if all these modern game elements they introduced actually worked, or if they're balanced well. All they did was mention these elements are in the game and then spent 75% of the review talking about Lara as a person and her growth or dialogue.

I feel like we're focusing on the wrong things in this industry sometimes.

Read Telegraph's review. He praises the plot, but also says all those modern elements you hate are done extremely well.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm taking one for the team. We'll see how much of the game I can stomach before giving up.

I'm going to rent it for PS3 but I might take the gut punch and buy it on PC for $30.

I just don't think I can play multiplatform console games anymore with how poorly made they usually are on the performance scale.

madmackem

Eurogamer sounds like a 7, really. Putting me off a lot.

I dont get it? its doing what other games do and well why is that a downside?. Some people are being very picky at this title as if old tomb raider games didnt have alot of shooting and all the things he lists.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
from reading some reviews it seems like they wanted to give the game a lower score but couldn't because money is one hell of a good payment option.

Necrovex

Rad. I was optimistic about this title since its reveal in '11. Glad to see it paid off in the end! Cannot wait to play it in March.

I'm going to rent it for PS3 but I might take the gut punch and buy it on PC for $30.

I just don't think I can play multiplatform console games anymore with how poorly made they usually are on the performance scale.

I played Sonic Generation at a friend's house via his PS3. The load times felt so god damn long compared to the PC version. I couldn't keep playing SG on the PS3 after a level. PC has spoiled me and has ruined renting non-PS3 exclusive titles. :-(

Can't wait to try this out for myself. I never doubted it would be a solid game but the scores are a bit higher than I was expecting, hopefully the game really deserves them.

UxDgV8l.gif

These two gifs together are hilarious. So much vibrating!

sublimit

Banned
Just read the Edge "review"...

Another path might lead to a Hidden Tomb in need of raiding, although that’s a misnomer: you’re alerted to their proximity by a popup, and their entrances are clearly marked with hieroglyphic scrawls.

There’s too much combat at times

Platforming is fluid, Uncharted-sticky and largely stress free.

It’s got the kill-confirming XP popup of Call Of Duty; the gentle, optional stealth of an Assassin’s Creed; and Batman’s Detective mode. It’s got the linear, cinematic spectacle of Uncharted, with the narrative fleshed out by audiologs borrowed from BioShock. Platforming is Drake by way of Ezio Auditore, and combat borrows from, well, take your pick

Yep this definitely sounds like TR.This reviewer really gets it.

And if that wasn't enough,here's the last and best gem:

Yet despite all this, Tomb Raider retains its own identity, and much of that is down to its British heroine. Whether she’s huddled up against the cold or sending five men to their doom with an explosive arrow, this is still Lara Croft, one of gaming’s most distinctive heroes – and now she has a personality that extends far beyond the bounds of her bra straps. If the purpose of a reboot is to redefine a character and set them up for the future, then this is a job well done.

Yes of course,once again it's all about Lara.Fuck gameplay.Fuck platforming.
As long as Lara is in it (and she's still British) then the game still retain its own identity...seriously what a sad joke of a review really.
It's sad to see how EDGE has become the new Famitsu.

derFeef

"Good scores, must be moneyhatted."
There is no doubt that this game goes a bit of a different direction, but it seems like it's a good game from what I read so far.

Lol, how cynical and sarcastic was the Eurogamer review? They spent the whole thing taking the piss but ultimately slapped an 8 out of 10 on it. Good scores all round though, preorder validated.

Nice, after DmC another great reboot thats getting some very good scores. Now let's see how many haters that were making fun of this game calling it a "trainwreck" and "protecting simulator" will buy the new Tomb Raider...

Skilletor

Yeah, I copped on PC. Games at the end of this generation are getting really shitty ports. That, and it was only 40 bucks.

That reminds me, I have an extra Lara and the Guardian of Light code on Steam if anybody wants it. First person to quote me can have it.

lol @ saying anybody was served crow. This game was always going to review well.

Pay attention to what the reviews are saying, please. The negatives are everything the most of the "haters" were worried about.

Hystzen

Holy crap so after all the awful previews sites have done they like the end game..

crap might have try it now because of this

I was thinking the same thing. there must be a lot of money being passed under the table for these reviews.

This is ridiculous, have either of you actually played the game or have inside information relating to possible corruption with these reviews? Can we save the loaded review argument until the game is actually out?

I dont get it? its doing what other games do and well why is that a downside?. Some people are being very picky at this title as if old tomb raider games didnt have alot of shooting and all the things he lists.

Previous games (1-3) didn't have a lot of shooting. Like maybe 20%?

Hari Seldon

Honestly the scores of these reviews are great, but the content does not sound that appealing. I think I'm waiting for a price drop. $30 sounds like a good price point for me for this type of game.

This is ridiculous, have either of you actually played the game or have inside information relating to possible corruption with these reviews? Can we save the loaded review argument until the game is actually out?

Can't let things like objectivity and logic get in the way of a good conspiracy theory.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Honestly the scores of these reviews are great, but the content does not sound that appealing. I think I'm waiting for a price drop. $30 sounds like a good price point for me for this type of game.

So you're gonna buy it in 2 weeks then?

dreamfall

Whoa, Tara Long really dissects the optional Tombs.

She states that tombs feel "incredibly over simplified. They rarely, if ever, extend beyond a single room and even with some of the more involved puzzles, the challenge seems to come more from precisely timed platforming than critical problem solving."

I always like her opinions, and this sounds a little bit disheartening. Still excited about the good press.

Glad to see some people saying positive stuff about it after all the awful PR the team has given us these past months. Hope it lives up to how cool it originally looked...I'll rent it through GameFly.

Kikujiro

Please tell me this is a joke. You want to hate the game so much that you are insinuating all the reviewers are paid of. GG.

If a game I dislike gets high scores it's because the reviewers are bribed, if it scores bad it's because I was right, so I always win, man I feel so great about myself and I didn't even play the game!

Game seems solid from the reviews, a nice way to start a reboot.

Derrick01

Banned
Where is it for $30? I was looking at GMG and I could get Resident Evil 6 for $30 but Tomb Raider ended up being $36

I have some leftover credit on GMG to push it down in the $30 range if I want to :p

edit: $27 to be precise. Fuck it I may as well do it, it's not like there's anything else I'm going to buy until June anyway.

beje

Banned
Exactly what I expected: a good action game (another one, duh) but very little actual tomb raiding left. I'll pass.

madmackem

Just read the Edge "review"...

Yep this definitely sounds like TR.This reviewer really gets it.

And if that wasn't enough,here's the last and best gem:

Yes of course,once again it's all about Lara.Fuck gameplay.Fuck platforming.
As long as Lara is in it (and she's still British) then the game still retain its own identity...seriously what a sad joke of a review really.
It's sad to see how EDGE has become the new Famitsu.

Uncharted borrowed alot from the tomb raider games, heck alot of games did. Are you saying the makers should not borrowed what some of the most highly rated games of this gen have been doing. Why is this game under fire for what every single game does. Its a tomb raider game news flash you killed a fuckton of things in every tomb raider game to date.

something smells especailly with that gametrailers review. well, I don't care how well it's being reviewed, it's not a tomb raider game in my book. more like rambo: the daugter of rambo but that's all been said before.

Top Bottom