• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Review Thread!

Yeah, I copped on PC. Games at the end of this generation are getting really shitty ports. That, and it was only 40 bucks.

That reminds me, I have an extra Lara and the Guardian of Light code on Steam if anybody wants it. First person to quote me can have it.

lol @ saying anybody was served crow. This game was always going to review well.

Pay attention to what the reviews are saying, please. The negatives are everything the most of the "haters" were worried about.

Can I have it?

Also I kind had faith that this would be a good game, but not a game like the Tomb Raiders of old. Here's hoping the sequel will be more about discovery.

from reading some reviews it seems like they wanted to give the game a lower score but couldn't because money is one hell of a good payment option.

Yeah of course they paid 50+ magazines and websites from a different number of countries must be it how cant we see it!!! Same thing happened to Ocarina of Time 15 years ago and every company had an allience to pay gaming websites to give Resident Evil 6 a low score!!!

Whoa, Tara Long really dissects the optional Tombs.

She states that tombs feel "incredibly over simplified. They rarely, if ever, extend beyond a single room and even with some of the more involved puzzles, the challenge seems to come more from precisely timed platforming than critical problem solving."

I always like her opinions, and this sounds a little bit disheartening. Still excited about the good press.

:(

madmackem

She states that tombs feel "incredibly over simplified. They rarely, if ever, extend beyond a single room and even with some of the more involved puzzles, the challenge seems to come more from precisely timed platforming than critical problem solving."

I always like her opinions, and this sounds a little bit disheartening. Still excited about the good press.

Flies in the face of what ign video review said about some of the tombs puzzels.

Derrick01

Banned
So many people just got served a plate of crow.

You're focusing too much on score, which no one expected would be bad. Reading the content in most of these big reviews and I'm seeing that most of them are either ignoring the gameplay or confirming most of the problems we raised.

Lime

Lara can more than hold her own against the crazed island inhabitants, and killing them is so much fun, it more or less undermines the whole narrative about the impact of taking human life.

If this is the case once I play this game then it's very likely that I won't be holding it in very high regard (meaning anything above a 6/10) no matter how well-executed the mechanical aspects of it are. It's simply a huge flaw.

Sephzilla

Yeah of course they paid 50+ magazines and websites from a different number of countries must be it how cant we see it!!! Same thing happened to Ocarina of Time 15 years ago and every company had an allience to pay gaming websites to give Resident Evil 6 a low score!!!

Honestly after the Lauren Wainwright thingy, I'm not going to object to anyone suggesting people aren't given "incentives"

Dantis

I was thinking the same thing. there must be a lot of money being passed under the table for these reviews.

Comments like this come across as pretty pathetic to me.

It's fine to doubt that the game is good. It's fine to dislike the game. It is idiotic to say "Oh, people like the game? Guess they've been bribed!".

Don't be dumb.

Nibel

I have some leftover credit on GMG to push it down in the $30 range if I want to :p

edit: $27 to be precise. Fuck it I may as well do it, it's not like there's anything else I'm going to buy until June anyway.

Dude wait a month or two and get it for like 10 bucks

Skilletor

You're focusing too much on score, which no one expected would be bad. Reading the content in most of these big reviews and I'm seeing that most of them are either ignoring the gameplay or confirming most of the problems we raised.

Silence, hater. Go eat your crow.

GIFGIFGIFGIFGIF!

Necrovex

I have some leftover credit on GMG to push it down in the $30 range if I want to :p

edit: $27 to be precise. Fuck it I may as well do it, it's not like there's anything else I'm going to buy until June anyway.

What happened to God of War Ascension? I thought you were going to buy that next month. I want to read your impressions on that game.

anddo0

Going by the GT/Rev3Games review. I'll either buy this on PC $30 GMG, or wait for the PS3 version to drop to $30.

madmackem

If this is the case once I play this game then it's very likely that I won't be holding it in very high regard (meaning anything above a 6/10) no matter how well-executed the mechanical aspects of it are. It's simply a huge flaw.

I dont get it, have you played a tomb raider game before you killed a whole lotta shit.

Eurogamer said:
There are some excellent exploration sections complete with satisfying routes, beautiful vistas and atmospheric tombs. The latter are mostly found by diverging from the main path, and solving the puzzles contained within them is voluntary.

This is a smart idea. Many of the puzzles are as tough as those in the old games, but the option to walk away means there's no risk of getting stuck and frustrated for six hours, like that time in Tomb Raider 3 with the key and the dead monkey. Also every other time in Tomb Raider 3.

Ooh, it seems this game treats puzzles like Fez (hard so they're satisfying but optional so they're no roadblocks). Anyone know if the puzzles are good?

Hindle

Banned
It seems actual tomb raiding doesn't figure that much into the gameplay and the tombs in the game are optional and easy. So based on this they still call the game a decent TR?

dreamfall

I don't understand these "GAF was wrong" / "so many eating crow" comments.

If you followed the earlier threads, everyone seemed to acknowledge that this would get good scores/review well, but the complaints weren't about that.

It's just a huge departure from everything we appreciated about older Tomb Raider games, and involved so many modern gaming conventions, that it almost felt like it didn't have it's own identity.

That said, it is great it's reviewing well although some of the reviews don't read like the scores that were given. I'm excited to play it myself/judge it accordingly.

Derrick01

Banned
What happened to God of War Ascension? I thought you were going to buy that next month. I want to read your impressions on that game.

I was able to pay that off without spending a dime of my own money. Traded in about 4 PS3/Vita games and paid it off :D

derFeef

Kudos, VG247.

054i5Ur.jpg

I'm really confused.

I'm hearing Uncharted "platforming" from some, and "precisely timed platforming" here.

I'm taking one for the team. We'll see how much of the game I can stomach before giving up.

I had to send a barely touched XCOM back in order to get this mailed to me within release week. I feel like a bad person, but I really want to be able to contribute to the OT while it's still burning.

sublimit

Banned
lol @ saying anybody was served crow. This game was always going to review well.

Pay attention to what the reviews are saying, please. The negatives are everything the most of the "haters" were worried about.

Exactly.We all knew that the big gaming media would all open their legs for it.
But just by reading the EDGE "review" it has only confirmed what i was afraid about the game all along.It actually added some negatives elements that i didn't knew about.

Sorry but no crow is served today.

Jackpot

Banned
Good lord the Polygon review is terrible to read with all the hipster design, monochrome gifs, etc..

Wow, you weren't kidding.

Untitled.png

Oh please. Square have an history of this kind of thing. Kane and Lynch comes to mind.

Eurogamer indicates the draconian NDA was all about what details you could and couldn't reveal:

As per the conditions of the Square Enix NDA, we can neither confirm nor deny whether you get to punch a shark.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Oh please. Square have an history of this kind of thing. Kane and Lynch comes to mind.

Yes, they clearly paid of ALL OF THE REVIEWERS. Seriously guys? I mean, you can't just pass on the game because it doesn't interest you? You have to try and tear it down and grasp at straws?

If Square Enix had offered me a bribe in exchange for a positive review, I would be so happy right now, because my career would be made. There'd be way more long-term value in blowing the whistle on that than actually taking the fabled cash.

As it stands, nothing to blow the whistle on so far.

Thanks to Jim for clearing the air.

Honestly after the Lauren Wainwright thingy, I'm not going to object to anyone suggesting people aren't given "incentives"

Suggesting it is one thing. The guilty until proven innocent attitude is another.

Especially when you can't point to a single documented instance of money being exchanged for a review.

If Square Enix had offered me a bribe in exchange for a positive review, I would be so happy right now, because my career would be made. There'd be way more long-term value in blowing the whistle on that than actually taking the fabled cash.

As it stands, nothing to blow the whistle on so far.

Did people expect bad reviews? That's relegated for the bottom of the heap like Aliens or for games that don't polish away every bit of eccentricity they may have in order to present the reviewer with a neat and glossy package of familiar conventions. The sad truth is that games like this are made for metacritic, not for fans. But by all means continue to reward mediocrity with sales, preorders, and season passes. If we're lucky every game will offer the exact same experience next gen just with different characters.

Soi-Fong

Might jump on this since I can get it for 33 bucks, but I also want Sim City... Which to get... Then again, school is keeping me busy so will have no time for both...

Effing backlog...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of these reboots that keep occurring (Hitman and Tomb Raider to name but two), but that should be a separate issue from the actual qualities of the individual title.

I can understand people being disappointed, but to come out and claim that reviewers are being paid off just because this drastically different reboot is getting praise is trying to lump together two separate issues.

Duffyside

Banned
Again, I'd like argue the idea that we should put the names of the reviewers along with the web sites when we post reviews/scores. We all should know the difference between "Giant Bomb" giving DmC a 5/5 and Metal Gear Rising a 4/5, and that "Brad from Giant Bomb" gave DmC a 5/5 while "Jeff from Giant Bomb" gave Metal Gear Rising a 4/5.

It is an important distinction.

Anyway, surprisingly high reviews so far. Hooray.

Oh my, you guys. lol I'm just pulling your leg. :p I don't care about this game or reviews. You all focus waaaaay too much on a "score". Settle down take it easy, breathe and laugh a little.

Top Bottom